Subject: AIList V6 #70 - Queries
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed 13 Apr 1988 22:54-PDT

AIList Digest           Thursday, 14 Apr 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 70

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Proposal for Nanotechnology Group &
    Macsyma & Connectionist Models Paper &
    Structured Methodologies for Expert Systems &
    Can you name this project? & AI Journal Subscription &
    Semantic Networks & Rulebases &
    Object-Oriented Techniques & Human Face Recognition  &
    Genetic Algorithms Paper & ART and Knowledge Craft

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 8 Apr 88 04:27:13 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (J Storrs Hall)
Subject: Proposal for Nanotechnology group

I wish to start a new group to discuss nanotechnology.  I have searched high
and low for such a group amongst the existing ones with no success.

Nanotechnology is the as-yet-nascent engineering of molecular-scale machines.
The word "nanotechnology" was introduced by Eric Drexler in "The Engines
of Creation".

A nanotech group would take into its purview somewhat disparate areas,
such as
        -- molecular modelling
        -- physics of computation (as relates to atomic-sized gates...)
        -- hyper-parallel fine-grain architectures (ditto)
        -- theory of self-reproducing machines
        -- molecular machine design (gears, pulleys, levers...)
        -- Higher-level organizational issues, ie, how do you build
                a house using submicroscopic machines
        -- "profiles of the future" (although limited to what things
                nanotechnology will or will not make possible, and
                leave the "social implications" to other groups.)

There is an ARPANET nanotech list, which I would try to gateway.

I propose this to be a moderated list, and I volunteer to be the
moderator.  As a technical group, I don't expect there to be any
significant arguments on the list, so the moderator's function would
be primarily to eliminate redundancy and to insert directly information
from various outside sources, which I already collect.

Because this is to be a technical group, the proper Usenet
classification appears to be sci.nanotech.

Usenet backbone rules require a vote on new groups, so I hereby
solicit your vote:  Please mail to me, and don't post to this newsgroup:

   [email-masked]
or ...!rutgers!klaatu.rutgers.edu!josh

 a message saying that you vote YES for the sci.nanotech newsgroup.
(If you use the "r" command, save off a copy before sending as the
"r" command often misroutes mail;  if the "r" message bounces you can
mail to the appropriate address above.)

After the standard 30-day period, the votes will be counted.  That works
out to be May 8 as I write this.  That leaves you long enough to go out
and buy "Engines of Creation" and read it (if you haven't already).

Then send me a yes before seven days in May have elapsed...

--JoSH

Inventor, n.:  One who assembles an ingenious collection of gears,
               pulleys, and levers, and believes it Civilization.
  -- Ambrose Bierce

------------------------------

Date: 9 Apr 88 06:46:37 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Robert
      Cray)
Subject: Macsyma

  I need to get macsyma (for vms).  As far as I can tell, there are two
  choices, the Argonne verion for 3.1k and the Symbolics version for 10k.
  Can anyone tell me what if anything I get from symbolics for that
  extra 7k?  Argonne says "I have no idea", and I don't trust symbolics
  to give me a straight answer...Thanks.

                                --robert

--
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 88 13:19:33 MET
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Connectionist Models Paper Wanted

Can anyone tell us how we can obtain a copy of:
"Connectionist Models: Not Just a Notational Variant, Not a Panacea,"
D.Waltz. (TINLAP-3 Proceedings, NM State University, Jan. 87) ?

It is mentioned in a Thinking Machines Corp. 'technical papers overview',
where it says that no copies of this paper are presently available
from them.

Thanks in advance,

Hans Buurman, Martin Kraaijveld
Pattern Recognition Group
Department of Applied Physics
Delft University of Technology
Delft
the Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 88 11:30:43 PST
From: [email-masked] (David R. Lambert)
Subject: Query - Structured Methodologies for Expert Systems

A friend who is not (yet) receiving AIList has asked me to post a
request for information on STRUCTURED METHODOLOGIES FOR EXPERT
SYSTEMS.  I recall at least one recent posting but no longer have it
available.  Please send responses to Robert Briggs, email:
[email-masked] (not to me).  Thanks.

David R. Lambert ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Apr 88 13:48:15 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Can you name this project?

In a recent exposition on parallel computing in the popular press the
following paragraph appeared. Can anyone name this project, its investigators,
a contact, a publication, or provide any further information?

        "Another Yale program - to monitor the equipment in an
        intensive-care unit - is more flexible still. Each processor
        in this system runs a different program, which monitors the
        equipment for signs of a particular problem or ailment. Because
        each program has its own processor, it is ever-vigilant for
        signs of its disease."

Thank you,

Paul A. Birkel
Dept. of Computer Science
Carnegie-Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

(412) 268-8893

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 88 12:14:17 BST
From: Graeme Smith BBN Labs <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI Journal subscription

Can anybody out there help me with getting the addresses
and subscription details for the AI Journal and AAAI magazine

Thanks in advance

Graeme Smith

  [The details are somewhere in the first few pages of the
  magazines, of course, but I believe you can get information
  about AAAI from [email-masked].  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 7 Apr 1988 14:29:55-WET DST
From: rich <[email-masked]>
Subject: Semantic Networks : HELP !!!

  I am investigating search techniques over realistically sized
semantic net structures as part of the work for my Ph.D. thesis.
I would be very glad to hear from anyone who can provide a copy of a
large semantic network on which to test my techniques, as the time
overhead in building my own semantic net is prohibitive. The language
of implementation of the network and its content is immaterial - any
size of network would be most welcome.

  I would also appreciate hearing from anyone who is undertaking work
on semantic network search strategies and the use of semantic network
structures as the basis for commercial databases. Hopefully we may be
able to help each other.

  Thanks very much.........

                    Richard.

E-MAIL:  UUCP  ...!mcvax!ukc!easby!rich
     ARPA  [email-masked]
     BITNET [email-masked]

FROM:  Mr. R.M.Piercy,
        Computing Dept,
     S.E.A.S,
      Science Laboratories,
       South Road,
        DURHAM DH1 3LE,
         ENGLAND.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 88 09:57:58 est
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Looking for rulebases

I am looking for a selection of rulebases (20-200 rules) to assist in
some parallel systems research.  The type or content of the rulebase
does'nt really matter.  What I'm out to determine is if there are any
'typical' characteristics which apply to a wide variety of applications.
A simple ASCII readable list is fine.  A brief explination of any
non-obvious syntax would be appreciated.   Thanks.

Bill Michalson  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 88 10:31:32 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Request about Object-Oriented techniques.  Thanks for
         previous

Date: 12 April 1988, 10:21:56 EDT
From: Juan Francisco Suarez Vicente  (KIKO)          CMSBE1   at EOVUOV11
To:   AILIST-REQUEST at KL.SRI

Hello from Spain !!!
I've sent several requests to AILIST about uncertainty and medical
diagnosis, and I've received only few answers. Thanks to all anyway.
(Thanks to Robert Hummel, Donald Mitchell, Ben Bloom, Gerald Quirchmayr,
and others who answered me.)
Because we are beginning with Expert Systems Applications at this node,
(we are not restricted to medical applications, it's only one of our
Expert System projects, cause we are in a Data Process & Computer Center)
we're trying to obtain all possible information about it. And now we often
hear things about "Object-oriented programming and languages".
Could anyone illustrate me about the main concepts of object-oriented
techniques, languages, available shells, etc.?
We also hear things about "OO databases". What's the main difference
between "OO-DBs" and "relational-DBs"?
We'd like learn things about this subject, and we'd be grateful
if there is anyone who send us some bibliographic references of OOP and L, and
which are the sources to obtain these references.
By the way, we'd like contact with all users who can help us in OO
subjects. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
         Best Wishes from Spain.

My postal address is:
         Juan Francisco Suarez Vicente
         C/ Santa Teresa de Jesus, 20, sexto derecha, escalera B
         33007 - OVIEDO
         ASTURIAS
         SPAIN

THANK YOU ALL.
              [email-masked]   (KIKO)

  [Two articles comparing database approaches are Gio Wiederhold's
  "Views, Objects, and Databases", Computer, December 1986, pp. 37-44,
  and Bic and Gilbert's "Learning from AI: New Trends in Database
  Technology", Computer, March 1986, pp. 44-54.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Apr 88 23:37:41 GMT
From: [email-masked] (Seungku Yi)
Subject: human face recognition

I am doing my research on human face recognition but unfortunately I
don't have enough references. I have Kelly's thesis (1970) and Kanade's (1973)
thesis and nothing else. They are pretty old. I would like to know where
I can get good references to face recognition. If you know something about
this, please share the information with me. I prefer e-mail. My mail address
is "[email-masked]" Thanks in advance.

        -SeungKu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 88 11:03:37 EST
From: Manoel Fernando Tenorio <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: AIList V6 #68 - Genetic Algorithms

How can I get a copy of BBN's seminar paper on Genetic ALgorithms? --ft.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 88 21:05:50 PDT
From: Mark Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Need info on ART & Knowledge Craft

I am updating some information in an article I wrote 2 years ago
that included descriptions of ART 2.0 and Knowledge Craft 3.0. If
you are familiar with the current versions, I'd appreciate exchanging
a few brief messages to help update me on some aspects of the products.
All I can offer is an acknowledgement in the book I am editing and my
heartfelt thanks. Please respond to me directly rather than to this
list (as admittedly I haven't had time to read the digest).

thanks,

Mark

P.S. I have tried repeatedly to contact someone at Inference and
Carnegie Group to help me with this, but time is running out and I
don't feel like trying again.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************