Subject: AIList V6 #43 - Conferences
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon 29 Feb 1988 22:28-PST

AIList Digest            Tuesday, 1 Mar 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 43

Today's Topics:
  Conferences - Volunteers needed for AAAI-88 &
    3rd Rocky Mountain Conf. on AI &
    1st Int. Symp. on AI &
    Illinois Decision Making Workshop &
    Computing and Human Senses (IEEE/SU)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 28 Feb 88 19:47:45 GMT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Volunteers needed for AAAI-88

ANNOUNCEMENT:  Student Volunteers Needed for AAAI-88

AAAI-88 will be held August 20-26, 1988 in beautiful Minneapolis,
Minnesota.  Student volunteers are needed to help with local
arrangements and staffing of the conference.  To be eligible for
a Volunteer position, an individual must be an undergraduate or
graduate student in any field at any college or university.

This is an excellent opportunity for students to participate
in the conference.   Volunteers receive FREE registration at
AAAI-88, conference proceedings, "STAFF" T-shirt, and are
invited to the volunteer party. More importantly, by
participating as a volunteer, you become more involved and
meet students and researchers with similar interests.

Volunteer responsibilities are varied, including conference
preparation, registration, staffing of sessions and tutorials
and organizational tasks.  Each volunteer will be assigned
twelve (12) hours.

If you are interested in participating in AAAI-88 as a
Student Volunteer, apply by sending the following information:

Name
Electronic Mail Address (for mailing from arpa site)
USMail Address
Telephone Number(s)
Dates Available
Student Affiliation
Advisor's Name

to:

[email-masked]

or

Richard Feifer
UCLA
Center for the Study of Evaluation
145 Moore Hall
Los Angeles, California  90024

Thanks, and I hope you join us this year!

Richard Feifer
Student Volunteer Coordinator
AAAI-88 Staff

- Richard

------------------------------

Date: 29 Feb 88 18:08:46 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Richard G. Feifer)
Subject: Re: Volunteers needed for AAAI-88

>>AAAI-88 will be held August 20-26, 1988 in beautiful Minneapolis,
>>Minnesota.  Student volunteers are needed to help with local
>
>Any chance of travel/housing stipends?
>
>O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
>| Cliff Joslyn, Mad Cybernetician

I am sorry we cannot reimburse for travel.  (it would
be nice if we could).

-Richard

- Richard

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 88 09:18:00 MDT
From: "Martha Polson" <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: "Martha Polson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - 3rd Rocky Mountain Conf. on AI

RMCAI '88

The Third Annual Rocky Mountain Conference
on
Artificial Intelligence

June 13-15, 1988
Sheraton Denver Tech Center
4900 DTC Parkway
Denver, Colorado  80235

CALL FOR PAPERS

RMCAI '88 is a third annual conference sponsored in 1988 by US WEST
Advanced Technologies and the Rocky Mountain Society for Artificial
Intelligence.  The purpose of the 1988 Conference is to promote
interaction among industry and university in this rapidly growing
region of high-technology.

Program Committee Chairman: Dr. Yorick Wilks, Director of the Computer
Research Laboratories, New Mexico State University.

Keynote Speaker: Dr. Terry Winograd, Stanford University.

Invited Speaker: Dr. W. Thomas Cathey, University of Colorado.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Alexander, James H.     US WEST Advanced Technologies
Bradshaw, Gary  University of Colorado
Burns, Lt. Col. Hugh    AFHRL
Ensor, Robert   AT&T Bell Laboratories
Ferguson, Jay   Carnegie Group
Filman, Robert E.       Intellicorp
Freeman, Edward US WEST Advanced Technologies
Freiling, Michael       Tektronix
Lewis, Clayton  University of Colorado
Kessler, Robert University of Utah
Mozer, Michael  University of Colorado
Rathke, Christian       University of Colorado
Rich, Elaine    MCC

RMCAI '88's Technical Program will include paper presentations of
quality research in AI.  Particular attention will be given to those
papers which reflect significant research results in the following
application areas, however well- written papers in other topic areas
will be considered.

AI and Education        Knowledge Acquisition
Automated Reasoning     Knowledge Representation
Cognitive Modeling      Machine Learning
Commonsense Reasoning   Natural Language
Connectionism   Neural Networks
Expert Systems  Robotics
Impacts of AI Technology        User Interfaces

REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSION

Submission Deadline     March 15, 1988
Notification of Acceptance:     April 15, 1988
Camera-ready Copy Due:  May 12, 1988

Authors must submit six (6) complete copies of their papers to the
RMSAI address listed below.  Each submission must include the topic
area of research.  Submitted papers must be original work.  State
whether you are submitting your paper to more than one conference.
Single spaced type is acceptable, however, papers must be 8-1/2" by
11" and not exceed 4,00 words.  dot-matrix type is not recommended,
unless truly letter quality.  The title should be included on the
first page, and the bibliography the last page, however, those pages
will not count toward the 4,000 word limit.  Papers which do not
fulfill the above requirements will be returned without review.

Each paper will be reviewed by experts in the area specified as topic
of the paper by our National Program Committee.  Accepted papers will
be published in the RMCAI '88 conference Proceedings.  An outstanding
paper will be selected by the Program Committee and the award given
during lunch at the Conference.

Submit papers to:       Dr. Yorick Wilks
        c/o RMSAI
        1616 - 17th Street, Suite M-76
        Denver, Colorado  80202

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 88   18:16 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - 1st Int. Symp. on AI

Date: 25 February 1988, 18:16:14 EDT
From: Teresa Lucio Nieto        Mexico (83) 58 56 49 PL233270 at TECMTYVM
To:   AILIST at SRI.COM

We would like to invite all of the American Association for Articial
Intelligence members to send papers for the 1st International
Symposium on Artificial Intelligence to be held on October 24-28, 1988
in Monterrey, Mexico at the Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios
Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM).

               C A L L    F O R    P A P E R S
               -------------------------------

Topics include knowledge representation, knowledge acquisition,
natural language processing, knowledge based systems, inference
engine, machine learning, speech recognition, pattern recognition,
vision and theorem proving.

Four to five pages maximum summaries, four copies and resume, to
I T E S M. Centro de Investigacion en Informatica.
David Garza Salazar. Sucursal de Correos J.  64849 Monterrey, N.L.
Mexico. (83) 59 57 47, (83) 59 59 43;

Bitnet Address: SIIACII at TECMTYVM
Telex: 0382975 ITESME
Telefax: (83) 58 59 31
AppleLink address: IT0023

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 88 15:55:00 GMT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Illinois Decision Making Workshop

                        CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

       1988 ILLINOIS  INTERDISCIPLINARY  WORKSHOP ON  DECISION  MAKING
      Representation and Use of Knowledge for Decision Making in Human,
                          Mechanized, and Ideal Agents

             Sponsored by the UIUC CogSci/AI Steering Committee

                       Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
                           June 15-17, 1988

PURPOSE
The 1988 Illinois Interdisciplinary Workshop on Decision Making is
intended to bring together researchers working on the problem of
decision making from the fields of Artificial Intelligence,
Philosophy, Psychology, Statistics, and Operations Research.  Since
each area has traditionally stressed different facets of the problem,
researchers in each of the above fields should benefit from an
understanding of the issues addressed and the advances made in
the other fields.  We hope to provide an atmosphere that is both
intensive and informal.

FORMAT
There will be talks by ten invited speakers from the above mentioned
areas.  The current list of speakers includes: P.Cheeseman, J.Cohen,
J.Fox, W.Gale, J.Payne, R.Quinlan, T. Seidenfeld, B.Skyrms, and
C.White.  The talks will be followed by prepared commentaries and open
floor discussion.  Additionally, speakers will participate in small
moderated discussion groups focused intensively on their work.

TOPICS
- The representation, organization and dynamics of the knowledge
  used in decision making.
- Decision making strategies.
- Decisions under constraints (limited rationality).
- Combining normative and descriptive theories.
- The use of domain knowledge to initialize beliefs and preferences.

PARTICIPATION
This workshop will consist of a limited number of active participants,
commentators, and invited speakers.  To be considered for
participation, send a one page summary of your research interests and
publications no later than March 15.  Indicate also if you would like
to deliver either an inter- or intra-disciplinary commentary.
Commentators will receive copies of their assigned papers three weeks
prior to the workshop.  Acceptances will be mailed by April 4.

REGISTRATION
The registration fee is $50 general and $30 for students.  A copy of
the proceedings is included in the registration fee and will be
distributed at the workshop.  A few grants are available to cover most
or all travel, accommodation, and registration expenses.  In order to
be considered for a grant, include a request with your application.

Mail all correspondence to:  L. Rendell, Dept. of Computer
Science, University of Illinois, 1304 W. Springfield Ave., Urbana, IL
61801.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
U.Bockenholt, O.Coskunoglu, P.Haddawy, P.Maher, L.Rendell, E.Weber

------------------------------

Date: Fri 26 Feb 88 17:23:49-PST
From: Marcelo Hoffmann <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - Computing and Human Senses (IEEE/SU)

                COMPUTING AND HUMAN SENSES
(Exploring the future of computing through biological research)

                 A one day technical seminar

        Saturday, March 26, 1988, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

        Stanford University, Terman Engineering Building

Organized by the Committee on AI and Expert Systems of the Santa Clara
         Valley Chapter of the Computer Society of the IEEE

Topics/speakers:

Vision:  Dragutin Petkovic, IBM Almaden Research Center
         Pattern Recognition in Digital Visual Inspection

         H. Keith Nishihara, Schlumberger, Palo Alto Research
         Center, Image Matching in Human and Computer Vision

Hearing: Dick Lyon, Schlumberger, Palo Alto Research,
         "Analog VLSI Hearing Models"

Sensory: Joseph Rosen, Stanford Medical Center and VAHPA
         Nerve Chip - The bionic switchboard

Motor:   Scott Fisher, NASA Ames Research Center
         Man-machine Symbiosis - Telerobotics

Smell:   Walter Freeman, UC Berkeley Physiology-Anatomy Dept.
         Roles of Chaos in Olfactory Processing

Registration fee includes lunch and notes.  Early registration, prior
to March 11, 1988 is strongly urged to assure there is enough time to
return an acknowledgement and map showing room location.  Company
P.O.'s must have payment by check and include all registration
information (preferred: fill out and enclose the form below)

For more information call the IEEE Council office at (415)327-6622

  [Contact the author for the registration form.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************