Subject: AIList V6 #36 - Grapher, Seminars, Conferences
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat 20 Feb 1988 23:41-PST

AIList Digest            Sunday, 21 Feb 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 36

Today's Topics:
  AI Tools - ISI Grapher Update,
  Seminars - Problems in Prediction and Causal Reasoning (BBN) &
    Micro Motors (BBN) &
    Traveling Salesman in Token-Passing Networks (SRI),
  Conferences - Neural Networks in SOAR (Space Operations, Robotics) &
    Illinois Workshop on Decision Making &
    7th Nat. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-88)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 11:09:40 PST
From: Gabriel Robins <[email-masked]>
Subject: ISI Grapher: an update

AI/Graphics tool availability update:

    "The ISI Grapher: a Portable Tool for Displaying Graphs Pictorially"

    Now available for the MacIntosh II and SUNs (as well as for Symbolics
                                                         and TI Explorers).

Greetings,

   Due to the considerable interest drawn by the ISI Grapher so far, I am
posting this abstract summarizing its function and current status.  The ISI
Grapher Common LISP sources are now available to both domestic and foreign
sites.

   A paper describing this effort is now available, entitled: "The ISI
Grapher: a Portable Tool for Displaying Graphs Pictorially."  A more
detailed document is also available, called "The ISI Grapher Manual."  It
describes the implementation, usage, data-structures, and algorithms of the
ISI Grapher.

   The CommonLisp sources are also available.  It currently runs on Symbolics
versions 6 & 7, TI Explorers versions 2 & 3, MacIntosh II (under both Coral
Allegro LISP and ExperCommon LISP), and SUNs (under Franz and Lucid, using X).
Ports to other machines, such as HP Bobcats, are currently in the planning.
If you know of any other ports, both completed or planned, please let me know.

   If you would like to have the paper and/or the sources, please forward your
name and postal address to "[email-masked]" or to:

             Gabriel Robins
             Intelligent Systems Division
             Information Sciences Institute
             4676 Admiralty Way
             Marina Del Rey, Ca 90292-6695

ExperTelligence Inc. is currently marketing the ISI Grapher for the MacIntosh
under ExperCommon LISP.  You may contact them directly regarding the Mac
version: ExperTelligence Inc., 559 San Ysidro Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93108
(805) 969-7871.

               =======================================

                             The ISI Grapher

                              February, 1988

                              Gabriel Robins
                       Intelligent Systems Division
                      Information Sciences Institute

   The ISI Grapher is a set of functions that convert an arbitrary graph
structure (or relation) into an equivalent pictorial representation and
displays the resulting diagram.  Nodes and edges in the graph become boxes
and lines on the workstation screen, and the user may then interact with the
Grapher in various ways via the mouse and the keyboard.

   The fundamental motivation which gave birth to the ISI Grapher is the
observation that graphs are very basic and common structures, and the belief
that the ability to quickly display, manipulate, and browse through graphs  may
greatly enhance the productivity of a researcher, both quantitatively and
qualitatively.  This seems especially true in knowledge representation and
natural language research.

   The ISI Grapher is both powerful and versatile, allowing an
application-builder to easily build other tools on top of it.  The ISI NIKL
Browser is an example of one such tool.  The salient features of the ISI
Grapher are its portability, speed, versatility, and extensibility.  Several
additional applications were already built on top of the ISI Grapher,
providing the ability to graph lists, flavors, packages, divisors, functions,
LOOM hierarchies, and Common-Loops classes.

  Several basic Grapher operations may be user-controlled via the specification
of alternate functions for performing these tasks.  These operations include
the drawing of nodes and edges, the selection of fonts, the determination of
print-names, pretty-printing, and highlighting operations.  Standard
definitions are already provided for these operations and are used by default
if the application-builder does not override them by specifying his own
custom-tailored functions for performing the same tasks.

   The ISI Grapher now spans about 200K of CommonLisp code. The 105-page
ISI Grapher manual is available; this manual describes the general ideas, the
interface, the application-builder's  back-end, the algorithms, the
implementation, and the data structures.  A shorter paper is also available,
and includes hardcopy samples of the screen during execution. The ISI Grapher
presently runs on both Symbolics (versions 6 & 7), TI Explorer workstations
(versions 2 & 3), MacIntosh II (under both Coral Allegro LISP and ExperCommon
LISP), and SUNs (under Franz and Lucid, using X); ports to other machines are
being planned.

   If you are interested in more information, the sources themselves, or just
the paper/manual, please feel free to forward your name and postal address to
"[email-masked]" or write to "Gabriel Robins, Information Sciences
Institute, 4676 Admiralty Way, Marina Del Rey, Ca 90292-6695 U.S.A."

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 Feb 88 19:23:45-EST
From: Marc Vilain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Problems in Prediction and Causal Reasoning (BBN)

                    BBN Science Development Program
                       AI Seminar Series Lecture

              PROBLEMS IN PREDICTION AND CAUSAL REASONING

                                Tom Dean
                            Brown University
                    ([email-masked])

                                BBN Labs
                           10 Moulton Street
                    2nd floor large conference room
                      10:30 am, Friday February 19

Causal reasoning involving incomplete information constitutes a topic of
growing interest in AI.  Despite the enthusiasm and the volume of paper
devoted to the topic, there are still very few well defined problems.  In this
talk, we will consider three problems corresponding to variations on what is
commonly referred to as THE prediction problem.  In the first problem, all
events are known, but their order of occurrence is not.  The task is simply to
determine what facts persist over what intervals of time.  The general problem
is NP-hard, and, hence, the solutions we propose involve polynomial
approximations.  In the second problem, all of the events are not known.
Here, the task is to account for the possible impact of unknown events on the
persistence of facts over intervals of time.  Our solution, involving a
probabilistic theory of causation, introduces a number of problems of its own,
and, in the process of dealing with these new problems, we introduce a third
prediction problem involving unexplained but contingent events.  Our analysis
of this third problem leads us to a new view of prediction which has many
elements of what is commonly referred to as explanation.  We provide a precise
characterization of this problem and then consider the consequences of our new
view of prediction for existing formal accounts of causation and temporal
inference.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 88 15:01:59 EST
From: "Bruce E. Nevin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Micro Motors (BBN)

Subject: not-yet-nano technology
Originally
From: "Anita M. Flynn" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  motor on a chip!

       Wednesday, Feb 17th, 4:00         NE-43 - 8th floor playroom

                           MICRO MOTORS

   Stephen F. Bart       Theresa A. Lober     Lee S. Tavrow

         Laboratory for Electromagnetic and Electronic Systems
                 Microsystems Technology Laboratory

Silicon microfabrication technology has recently allowed development
of new sensing technologies for interfacing with the non-electronic
world.  Many of these microsensors rely on micromechanical structures
fabricated by the selective etching of the silicon substrate or
deposited thin films.  In contrast, research on microfabricated
actuators (microactuators) has been largely neglected.  Conventional
microstructures, such as cantilever beams, bridges, and diaphragms,
are able to move only a few micrometers perpendicular to the plane of
the substrate.  This restrained travel in one degree of freedom has
restricted existing microactuators to small-motion applications.

A flexible microactuator technology requires structures that have
unrestrained motion in at least one degree of freedom.  By means of a
straightforward extension of surface micromachining, thin-film disks
or plates can be made which are free to rotate or slide over the
surface of the substrate.  The addition of some means of applying an
electromechanical force opens a multitude of possibilities for
developing "micromotors".

This talk will discuss some of the electromechanical issues that
influence the design of the motor drive (electrostatic vs.  magnetic,
for example). The work that has taken place at MIT to date will be
examined. Finally, there will a discussion of the possible
applications for such a technology.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 09:34:58 PST
From: [email-masked] (contact [email-masked])
Subject: Seminar - Traveling Salesman in Token-Passing Networks (SRI)

            TRANSMISSION ORDER IN MOBILE TOKEN PASSING NETWORKS

                              Dr. Yaron Gold
                         Dept of Computer Science
                   Technion, Israel Inst. of Technology

                     Tuesday, February 23, 4:00 pm
               Engineering building, 3rd floor, room EJ330

In high-speed networks that use efficient token-passing access protocols
the total round-trip token passing time is a major component of the
protocol overhead. To minimize this overhead an appropriate TRAMSMISSION
ORDER (token-passin path) must be selected. The optimal path constitutes a
TRAVELING SALESMAN (TS) tour in the network graph. The length of the
optimal path is, at the worst case, proportional to the square root of n
(the number of nodes) while the expected length of a random path is
proportional to n.  In a network with MOBILE NODES the transmission
sequence must be re-computed from time to time to suit the changhing
node-layout.  Two distributed methods for constructing an approximate TS
tour are presented.  One consists mainly of a distributed algorithm for
constructing a MINIMUM SPANNING TREE from which a TS tour is constructed
using Christophides' method.  The other reduces the cost of constructing
the tour in certain cases, by ADJUSTING AN EXISTING TOUR that has
deteriorated due to node motion, rather than computing it "from scrach".
It is shown that the WORST-CASE BOUNDS on the path lenghts resulting from
both methods are the same.

NOTE FOR VISITORS TO SRI:

Please arrive at least 10 minutes early in order to sign in and
be shown to the conference room.

SRI is located at 333 Ravenswood Avenue in Menlo Park.  Visitors
may park in the visitors lot in front of Building E (a tall tan
building on Ravenswood Ave; the turn off Ravenswood has a sign
for Building E), or in the visitors lot in front of Building A
(red brick building at 333 Ravenswood Ave), or in the conference
parking area at the corner of Ravenswood and Middlefield.  The
seminar room is in Building E.  Visitors should sign in at the
reception desk in the Building E lobby.

Visitors from Communist Bloc countries should make the necessary
arrangements with Fran Leonard (415-859-4124) in SRI Security as
soon as possible.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 Feb 88 15:31:53-PDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Neural Networks in SOAR (Space Operations,
         Robotics)

                Marc P. Hosein
                Intelligent Systems Technology Branch
                NASA Ames Research Center
                Mail Stop 244-4
                Moffett Field, CA.  94035
                (415) 694-6526

        TO: Neural Network and Connectionist Researchers

    I am a research scientist in the Intelligent Systems Technology
Branch of the Information Sciences division of NASA Ames Research
Center.  I am currently working on the Spaceborne VHSIC Multiprocessor
System (SVMS) project under Dr. Henry Lum.  In organizing a poster session
on Neural Networks for the 1988 SOAR conference, I am gathering
information on the current state of the field, as well as various technical
and non-technical papers for distribution at the conference.

    The SOAR (Space Operations Automation and Robotics) workshop in
automation and robotics is sponsored by NASA in conjunction with the
USAF.  The main objectives of the workshop are:

        1) To establish communications between individuals and
           organizations involved in similar research and technology

        2) To bring together project/program managers in open exchange
           through presentation of technical papers and panel discussions

        3) To document in the proceedings a snapshot of
           USAF/NASA efforts in automation and robotics

If you have papers or information to be included in a summary of the neural
networks field, please mail them to me at the above address or on the
arpanet.  Even more importantly, I am looking for papers on research done
or currently being done to incorporate as supplemental information and
distribution material at the conference and beyond.  Please feel free to
call me at (415) 694-6526 or send mail on the arpanet to
[email-masked] if you have specific questions about the poster
session or the conference.

                                                Thank you,  Marc P. Hosein

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 10:23:27 cst
From: [email-masked] (Peter Haddawy)
Subject: Conference - Illinois Workshop on Decision Making

                        CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

       1988 ILLINOIS  INTERDISCIPLINARY  WORKSHOP ON  DECISION  MAKING
      Representation and Use of Knowledge for Decision Making in Human,
                          Mechanized, and Ideal Agents

             Sponsored by the UIUC CogSci/AI Steering Committee

                       Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
                           June 15-17, 1988

PURPOSE
The 1988 Illinois Interdisciplinary Workshop on Decision Making is
intended to bring together researchers working on the problem of
decision making from the fields of Artificial Intelligence,
Philosophy, Psychology, Statistics, and Operations Research.  Since
each area has traditionally stressed different facets of the problem,
researchers in each of the above fields should benefit from an
understanding of the issues addressed and the advances made in
the other fields.  We hope to provide an atmosphere that is both
intensive and informal.

FORMAT
There will be talks by ten invited speakers from the above mentioned
areas.  The current list of speakers includes: P.Cheeseman, J.Cohen,
J.Fox, W.Gale, J.Payne, R.Quinlan, B.Skyrms, and C.White.  The talks
will be followed by prepared commentaries and open floor discussion.
Additionally, speakers will participate in small moderated discussion
groups focused intensively on their work.

TOPICS
- The representation, organization and dynamics of the knowledge
  used in decision making.
- Decision making strategies.
- Decisions under constraints (limited rationality).
- Combining normative and descriptive theories.
- The use of domain knowledge to initialize beliefs and preferences.

PARTICIPATION
This workshop will consist of a limited number of active participants,
commentators, and invited speakers.  To be considered for
participation, send a one page summary of your research interests and
publications no later than March 15.  Indicate also if you would like
to deliver either an inter- or intra-disciplinary commentary.
Commentators will receive copies of their assigned papers three weeks
prior to the workshop.  Acceptances will be mailed by April 4.

REGISTRATION
The registration fee is $50 general and $30 for students.  A copy of
the proceedings is included in the registration fee and will be
distributed at the workshop.  A few grants are available to cover most
or all travel, accommodation, and registration expenses.  In order to
be considered for a grant, include a request with your application.

Mail all correspondence to:  L. Rendell, Dept. of Computer
Science, University of Illinois, 1304 W. Springfield Ave., Urbana, IL
61801.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
U.Bockenholt, O.Coskunoglu, P.Haddawy, P.Maher, L.Rendell, E.Weber

------------------------------

Date: 19 Feb 88 05:02:00 GMT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - 7th Nat. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence
         (AAAI-88)

Subj:   Seventh National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-88)
From: Julia Driver <[email-masked]>

Hope this helps:

from the Net, Dec 21/87                            Aug 21 - 28     USA
                AAAI-88 Workshops:
               Request for Proposals

The AAAI-88 Program Committee invites proposals for the Workshop Program of
the Seventh National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-88), to be
held at Saint Paul, Minn. from August 21, 1988 to August 26, 1988.  Gathering
in an informal setting, workshop participants will have the opportunity to
meet and discuss issues with a selected focus---providing for active exchange
among researchers and practioners on topics of mutual interest.  Members from
all segments of the AI community are encouraged to submit workshop proposals
for review.

To encourage interaction and a broad exchange of ideas, the workshops will be
kept small---preferably under 35 participants.  Attendance should be limited
to active participants only.  The format of workshop presentations will be
determined by the organizers of the workshop, but ample time must be allotted
for general discussion.  Workshops can range in length from two hours to two
days, but most workshops will last a half day or a full day.

Proposals for workshops should be between 1 and 2 pages in length, and
should contain:
1/ a brief description the workshop identifying specific issues that will be
   focused on.
2/ a discussion of why the workshop would be of interest at this time,
3/ the names and addresses of the organizing committee, preferably 3 or 4
   people not all at the same site,
4/ a list of several potential participants, and
5/ a proposed schedule.

Workshop proposals should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later
than 1 February 1988.  Proposals will be reviewed as they are received and
resources allocated as workshops are approved. Organizers will be notified
of the committee's decision no later than 15 February 1988.

Workshop organizers will be responsible for:
1/ producing a Call for Participation in the workshop, which will be mailed
   to AAAI members by AAAI,
2/ reviewing requests to participate in the workshop, and determining the
   workshop participants,
3/ scheduling the activities of the workshop, and
4/ preparing a review of the workshop, which will be printed in the AI
   Magazine.

AAAI will provide logistical support, will provide a meeting place for
the workshop, and, in conjunction with the organizers, will determine the
date and time of the workshop.

Please submit your workshop proposals, and enquiries concerning workshops, to:

       Joseph Katz MITRE Corporation MS L203
       Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 (617) 271 5200
[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julia Driver
Alberta Research Council
Calgary Alberta Canada

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************