Subject: AIList V6 #34 - AI in Management, Software Engineering, Interviewing
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed 17 Feb 1988 21:11-PST

AIList Digest           Thursday, 18 Feb 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 34

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Applications of AI Broadcast & Public Domain OPS5 &
    Data Smoothing for Character Recognition &
    Cryptology and Neural Networks & Kermit & Schank's Papers,
  References - Object-Oriented Programming & AI in Management &
    Software Engineering for AI,
  Expert Systems - Interviewing Experts

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 88 14:38 -0600
From: Mike Attas <[email-masked]>
Subject: Query - Applications of AI

Ken, do you know anything about an IEEE symposium entitled "Applications
of AI" scheduled to take place in NYC on Thursday the 18th?  Apparently
it is being broadcast live by satellite.  Some idea of the speaker(s),
topics, duration, intended audience, etc. would help in deciding what,
if anything, to do about this.
Apologies if you've announced it and I didn't catch the message.
Thanks.         Michael Attas

  [Nope, sorry.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 9 Feb 88 23:27:51 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Thomas M.)
Subject: Public Domain OPS5 wanted.

Does anybody know where to get a public domain OPS5 (source or objectcode)
running on IBM-PCs - maybe on the net?
There should be an unmaintained Common-Lisp version which I think could be
ported to GCL or XLISP. Performance is not the main point although the es-
sentials (RETE-Match) should be included.
It  seems to  be common for the people who advert PC-OPS5s not to make any
comment about inclusion  of the Rete-Match. They only make proposals like:

" Our implementation is so  efficient that you'll think your PC is a full-
  sized mini-computer."

There are even some "full implementations" which do not use Rete-Match!
Has anybody had any experience with

- Sierra OPS5 by Inference Engine Technologies
- OPS5+
- TOPSI 2.0

Are these programs full implementations (given VAX-OPS5 as kind of reference)?
I would be very thankful for every comment on the topics mentioned above.

--
@(^o^)@   @(^x^)@   @(^.^)@   @(^_^)@   @(*o*)@   @('o`)@   @(`!')@   @(^o^)@
@  Thomas Muhr    Tel.: (Germany) 030 - 87 41 62    (voice!)                @
@  NET-ADRESS:    [email-masked]  or [email-masked]              @
@  BTX:           030874162                                                 @

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 88 14:32:48 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Chris Long)
Subject: Help Needed With Data Smoothing, Character Recognition

I am currently working on a vision project; solving the font-free
character recognition problem to be exact.  I am looking for any
and all reference sources dealing with data smoothing and
noise reduction, especially as applied to graphics.  Books,
technical journals, leads, etc. are all acceptable.   Highly
technical references are welcome, in fact, the more technical the
better.

Thank you for your time.
--

Chris Long
Rutgers University
New Brunswick, NJ

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 88 21:32:51 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Joseph S. Costa)
Subject: Cryptology and Neural Networks?

     Has anyone out there heard of any attempts to apply the fledgling
concept of neural networks to cryptology?  I know that neurals are found
to be quite nice for handling pattern-recognition problems, so the pair
would seem a natural marriage to me.

     JSC

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 88 10:04:31 est
From: Mr. David Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Kermit

Ken,

This may be the wrong forum to ask the question, but I need to know if
there are any Government agencies which regularly use Kermit as a mechanism
for transferring files.  I would appreciate replies direct to me,
[email-masked] or by phone, (404)494-3345.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 88 06:30:30 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (J.matsuoka)
Subject: We look for Schank's papers & ets. (In English)

I would like to know the references of papers/programs/books/reports
published (or otherwise accessible) recently by the AI Group
(Prof. Schank's group) at Computer Science Dept., Yale Univ., USA.
Can anyone help me ??  Please send me e-mail.
ThanQ !

      [email-masked]        H. Matsuoka

      CANON INC., Research Center
      5-1, Morinosato-Wakamiya, Atsugi city, Kanagawa, 243-01, Japan
      Tel: 0462-47-2111 x431.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1988 11:27:06 EST
From: Deeptendu Majumder
Subject: Conference Paper

I found the following reference in our Library Database. But it
seems the conference proceedings have not been published yet. I would
like to know if anybody has any information about this. If you have
a pre-print can you send me a copy of this paper. I will appreciate
that very much.

Papazoglou, M.P.; Hoffmann, C.
Towards versatile object oriented query languages.

1987 IEEE Workshop on Languages for Automation. (ISBN 0818647973)
pp 99-102. Vienna, Aug 1987.

Thanx in advance

Deeptendu Majumder
MEIBMDM @ GITVM2
Box 30963
Georgia Tech
Atlanta, GA 30332

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 88 11:09:16 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Query on Object Oriented and Robotics

I saw in one of the recent issues of AILIST request for information in
the area of Object Oriented programming and Robotics. I am not an expert
in that area by any means, but I picked some references in our library
database. I am including them here and they are not complete references
but I have included enough info to locate them: I hope!!

1) 1984 Second Biennial International Machine Tools Tech Conf Proceed.
Vol 3 (Schmitt and Gruver.)

2) Schmitt and Gruver. IEEE trans os Sys Man Cybernetics July Aug 1986.
Vol SMC-16 No. 4 pp 582-9.

3) Nackman, Lavin and Taylor (IBM) AML/X: A prog Lang for Design and Manf
1986 Proc of Fall Joint Comp Conf pp 149-59

4) Bourne (CMU) CML: A Meta Interpreter for Manf. AI Mag Vol 7 No. 4
pp 86-95 , Fall 1986.

5) Lalonde: 1987 IEEE International Conf on Robotics  and Automation
pp 1456-62, Vol 3. "Smalltalk as a Prog Lang for Robotics".

6) Kemper, Lockmann (IBM FRG), "Obj Oriented data storage for Robotics"
Inform. Forsch. Entwickl Vol 2 No. 4 pp 151-69 (German).

7) Allen, P.K. (Coulumbia Univ) A framework for implementing
multisensor robotics task. 1987 Image Understanding Workshop Proc.
Vol 1 pp 392-8.

Please excuse me for the way I have presented them. I hope they are of
some use to the relevant person.

Deeptendu Majumder
MEIBMDM at GITVM2
MEPHDBO at GITNVE2

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 88 12:50:15 GMT
From: Gilbert Cockton <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: Gilbert Cockton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Query: AI works in Management

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(Joel Loo) writes:
>  There aren't many AI research works on Management that I've  come across.

There was a great deal of AI work in management in the 1950s, as
a few of the founding fathers of AI began work in 'Scientific Management',
and don't seem to have changed their perspectives too much :-)

Luckily for the managed, mathematical models have long been restricted
in their application.  Today, sociological perspectives are more
dominant than algebraic, idealistic ones.  Any new AI work which can't
incorporate the recent perspectives on corporate and office culture is
going to be nearly thirty years out of date.
--
Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Heriot-Watt University, Chambers St.,
Edinburgh, EH1 1HX.  JANET:  [email-masked]
ARPA: [email-masked] UUCP: ..{backbone}!mcvax!ukc!hci!gilbert

------------------------------

Date: 16 Feb 88 12:53:25 GMT
From: Steve M Easterbrook <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: Steve M Easterbrook <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: request for refs on SWE for AI

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>   I'm currently taking a seminar on Software Engineering and AI. It's supposed
>to be balanced, but right now we've found many more papers on applying AI to
>software engineering than we have on software engineering applied to AI.
>Does anyone have some suggested papers on programming techniques,
>language design, environments, methodology, etc. for AI or LISP?

There aren't that many. One that was mentioned on this list recently is

R. J. K. Jacob and J. N. Froscher "Software Engineering for Rule-Based Systems"
1986 Proceedings, Fall Joint Computer Conference, Dallas Texas, p185-189

There are others by the same pair, but this was the easiest to get hold of.
I'd be interested in hearing about any more you turn up.

                                Steve Easterbrook
                                <[email-masked]>

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 88 11:16:39 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Gilbert
      Cockton)
Subject: Re: interviewing experts

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(Gary Bringhurst) writes:
>
>Would I be out of place to ask that cognitive psychologists who wish to
> contribute to AI study a little computer science in return?
Hear! hear! (and some psychology too :-) )
>
>I suppose I'm just tired of well meaning zealots jumping into the foray.
 (reference to Knoweldge Engineering tutors with no computing knowledge)

Whilst sceptical about much AI, it's my opinion that in 10 years time,
Knowledge Engineering will be seen as one of the most important
contributions of AI to Systems Design.  Why? - because the skills
required for succesful knowledge elicitation are applicable to ALL
systems design.  The result is that computer specialists who would
never have attended 'useless' courses or read up on 'Participative design'
and 'end-user involvement' have been seduced into learning about some
central skills in these design approaches (KE is still weak on
organisational/operations modelling though).  So, even if Expert
Systems never become the dominant systems technology, we will have
more systems specialists who do know how to find out what people
want. So, those well-meaning zealots, ignorant of computing, but
knowlegeable about human issues, have, in the promise of Intelligent
Systems and big profits, at last found a way to influence and educate
more computing professionals.  Pass the quiche!
--
Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Heriot-Watt University, Chambers St.,
Edinburgh, EH1 1HX.  JANET:  [email-masked]
ARPA: [email-masked] UUCP: ..{backbone}!mcvax!ukc!hci!gilbert

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************