Subject: AIList V6 #15 - Selfridge, Mazes, Prolog, BUILD, Ping-Pong
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu 21 Jan 1988 23:15-PST

AIList Digest            Friday, 22 Jan 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 15

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Planning for Games & Network Access to Knowledge Systems &
    Dik Gregory & Goldworks and Nexpert & Object and Frame Languages &
    Computer Aided Teaching in Bioscience & Qualitative Economics &
    PRECARN Canadian AI RFP,
  Bindings - Mallory Selfridge,
  Psychology & Learning - Computerized Rats and Mazes,
  AI Tools - PROLOG for an IBM 3090 under CMS & Scott Fahlman's BUILD,
  Robotics - Ping-Pong Playing Robot

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 88 04:33:20 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (William L. Moran Jr.)
Subject: Planning for games

Well, since I last posted asking for references about planning as it
relates to the playing of games other than chess, I have gotten about
twenty five responses. However, they have all been of the form - "yes
I'm interested too; please summarize." Not too helpful or encouraging.
One person did suggest looking at autorogue from CMU; does anyone have
any info about this? A Tech report number would be most helpful. Thanks.

                          William L. Moran Jr.
moran@{yale.arpa, cs.yale.edu, yalecs.bitnet}  ...{ihnp4!hsi,decvax}!yale!moran

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 88 17:41:29 PST
From: [email-masked] (Lynn Snyder)
Subject: Network Access to Knowledge Systems

        Can anyone give me a lead to people working on distributed or network
access to expert systems and knowledge bases?  I interested
in the interface between the remote system and the expert system, over a
network, particularly if multiple users can access the knowledge system.
        I will compile and circulate any responses I get to this query.
Thanks. - Lynn Snyder

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 88 09:48:54 EST
From: "Bruce E. Nevin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: binding: Dik Gregory?

Anyone know where Dik Gregory is?  He was at ARI a couple of years ago.

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jan 88 17:14:20 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Gray Abbott)
Subject: Goldworks and Nexpert

We  are considering several expert  system tools on  several different
machines.   Two of these  tools  are Gold Hill's Goldworks  and Neuron
Data's Nexpert.  Goldworks runs on ATs and 386s; Nexpert runs  on ATs,
Macintosh, and uVax.  Rumors are that both will soon run on Suns.

Does anyone  have  any experience  with these  tools?  What  are  your
comments?  How is their speed?  Have you run LARGE expert systems with
them?  How  much RAM do you  really need?  How much disk  space?  What
happens  when you don't  have enough?  Have  you interfaced with other
programs?  How well did that work?  Both  of these tools are much less
expensive than other tools that appear to offer similar features (e.g.
ART,  KEE, KnowledgeCraft, S1).   Why  is  this possible?   Is there a
catch (that  is,  what's  the    downside)?     Goldworks includes  an
underlying LISP; Nexpert allows you do interface with C, FORTRAN, etc.
Is this a problem for Nexpert?

Please reply by mail and I will summarize to the net.

                        ...dartvax!creare!gda
                        gda%creare%dartmouth.edu

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jan 88 17:28:26 GMT
From: [email-masked] (Guilherme Bittencourt)
Reply-to: [email-masked] (Guilherme Bittencourt)
Subject: Object and frame languages wanted

        I am searching for an object oriented extension and/or a
frame extension of Common Lisp (preference for KCL and public domain).

        I would like to use these extensions for the implementation of
a system to aid in the design of knowledge-based systems.

        Any hints, literature references, or even source code are VERY
welcome. If there is interest, I will summarize the responces to the net.

        Thanks in advance.

--
 Guilherme BITTENCOURT          +-----+         [email-masked]
 L.I.F.I.A.                     | <0> |
 46, Avenue Felix Viallet       +-----+
 38031 GRENOBLE Cedex                              (33) 76574668

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 88 10:50:06 EST
From: Deba Patnaik <[email-masked]>
Subject: Computer Aided Teaching in Bioscience area ?

We need information on anyone who is doing research or has Computer Aided
Teaching Software for Bioscience area. I will appreciate your help. Thanks,

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 88 14:07:23 EST
From: Nicky Ranganathan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Request for references

I would much appreciate any references/pointers to (not necessarily AI)
literature dealing with qualitative modeling of domains such as
economics or related areas. Please reply to me. If anyone else is
interested, I will e-mail. Thanks,
--Nicky Ranganathan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nicky Ranganathan         Arpa: [email-masked]
Information Systems Dept. UUCP: ...{allegra,rocky}!cmcl2!vx2.gba.nyu.edu!nicky
New York University       Bitnet: pranganathan@nybvx1

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jan 88 13:28:00 EST
From: Daniel (D.R.) Zlatin <[email-masked]>
Subject: RFP available

PRECARN is a not-for-profit consortium of over 30 Canadian
corporations.  PRECARN (sometimes expanded as Pre-Competitive
Applied Research Network) has as its overriding objective the
increase of industrial competitiveness in Canada.  This will be
accomplished by funding applied research projects to raise awareness
of, and exploitation of, artificial intelligence and robotics
technologies within industry.

PRECARN is now commencing the process that will identify, and
eventually fund, the research and development activities in artificial
intelligence and robotics that hold the greatest promise for eventual
exploitation by the member corporations.  PRECARN is inviting
applications for the funding of feasibility studies.  Applications
to this RFP may come from:

a) Canadian universities or colleges;

b) Canadian corporations or subsidiaries of foreign corporations
   having, or actively moving towards, a significant research and
   development operation in Canada;

c) Crown corporations with an arm's-length relationship with the
   government.

For more information, a complete copy of the RFP, and application
forms, contact:
Mail:   PRECARN Associates Inc.,
        30 Colonnade Road,
        Suite 300,
        Nepean, Ontario
        K2E  7J6

Phone:  (613) 727-9576

Email:  Sorry, no email address.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 88  17:20 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Address request...

Walter Rolandi ([email-masked]) writes:
>Does anyone know the email (or other mail) address of M. Selfridge of:
>
>Selfridge, M. 1980. A Process Model of Language Acquisition.  Ph.D.
>        diss., Technical Report, 172, Dept of Computer Science, Yale
>        University.

     Mallory Selfridge is currently a member of the faculty of the
     University of Connecticut.  He may be reached at the following
     address(es):

     U.S. Mail:
          Computer Science and Engineering, U-155
          University of Connecticut
          Storrs, CT   06268

     CSNET:
          [email-masked]

----------
Karl R. Wurst
Computer Science and Engineering, U-155
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT   06268

BITNET:  [email-masked]   'Things fall apart.  It's scientific.'
CSNET :  [email-masked]                           - David Byrne

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 88 12:17:54 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (rolandi)
Subject: computerized rats and mazes

Regarding a recent request for computerized rats and rat mazes, you might
find something of interest in:

Steinhauer, Gene D. (1986) Artificial Behavior: Computer Simulation of
        Psychological Processes. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.

Several attempts to contact the author were unsuccessful however.  Good
luck.

walter rolandi
[email-masked] ()
NCR Advanced Systems, Columbia, SC
u.s.carolina dept. of psychology and linguistics

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 88 16:09:36 EST
From: "Thomson, Steve" <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: PROLOG for an IBM 3090 under CMS

    Does any one have direct or indirect knowledge that they would be
willing to share about implementations of PROLOG under CMS?  We would
try to install it on a 3090-300VF under CMS release 5.
    Do any implementations use the vector facility? Have plans to use
parallelism (when it becomes available), extended architecture (ditto)?
    I admit my knowledge on this is bounded above at zero.
                                             Thankyou very much.
                                             [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 88 10:40:26 IST
From: Oren Regev <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PROLOG for an IBM 3090 under CMS

Dear Steve
   We do use prolog under cms here in the technion.If you specify your
subjects of interest I shall try to help you.
                Oren Regev

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jan 88 03:03:05 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (John B. Nagle)
Subject: Re: Scott Fahlman and BUILD

     I last year brought Fahlman's Build back to life, converting it from
Conniver to Common Lisp, and used it as a base for work of my own in
robot control.   Interested researchers can contact me for more
information.

                                        John Nagle

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 88 09:27:36 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Vuorimaa Petri Kalevi)
Subject: Re: query: table-tennis-playing robot?

My mail bounced back, so here we go!

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: query: table-tennis-playing robot?

[email-masked] (Michael Hucka):
>
> Within the last half-year I read an article which described a successful
> robotic device capable of playing table-tennis.  Unfortunately I can't
> remember where I came across it.  Has anyone else read about this or know
> where I can get more information about it?  I am interested in learning
> about the research and technical issues the system's creators had to address.
>

You can find a short description about that particular robot from the
byte-magazine (July 1987, page 37). Here in Europa we have more robots
(about 5). Our robots (Finland, England, Belgium and Switzerland) are
not as good as that one, but they are much smaller.
So, we can and have arranged competitions between them!

If want more information about European ping-pong-robots, mail me!
--
Petri Vuorimaa     Tampere University of Technology / Computer Systems Lab
[email-masked]          PO. BOX. 527, 33101 Tampere, Finland

------------------------------

Date: Sat 16 Jan 88 20:39:44-EST
From: John R. Kender <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ping-pong playing robot

The robot is the creation of Russ Anderson at AT&T Bell Labs at Holmdel, NJ.
He has a brief video tape showing it in action.  Notable are its use
of a custom VLSI chip for calculating momemts of blobs in binary images,
custom modification of a PUMA arm, and the real-time handling of the
blurred ellipsoidal imagery that the ball presents to standard automation
cameras.  Some years ago there was talk about a robot ping-pong match,
but I am unaware of any opponent for it.

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jan 88 14:43:33 GMT
From: Rob Elkins <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: Rob Elkins <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: table tennis playing robot

In article <[email-masked]> RCSMPA::[email-masked]
("William E. Hamilton, Jr.") writes:
>I believe the table tennis playing robot work was done by Bell Labs at
>one of their New Jersey locations (probably Murray Hill or Holmdel).

I remember reading in Levi's "Hackers" about a table tennis playing robot
that was built at MIT during the 60's.  Whether or not this is hearsay,
I'm not sure.  I do remember reading that the robot confused Professor
Minsky for a ping-pong ball and tried to take a swat at him.  This could
be hearsay as well.

Rob Elkins
--
ARPA:   [email-masked]
BITNET: FFO04688 AT ACSVM

Live Long and Prosper!

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************