Subject: AIList V6 #14 - Seminars, Mathematical Logic Conference
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu 21 Jan 1988 23:03-PST

AIList Digest            Friday, 22 Jan 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 14

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - DSRS: Distributed/Parallel Discrete-Event Simulation (SU) &
    Virtual Environment Systems (SU) &
    Solving Dynamic-Input Interpretation Problems (Unisys) &
    Generate, Text and Debug for Planning (AT&T) &
    Distributing Backward-Chaining Deductions (BBN),
  Course & Conference - Mathematical Logic (Bulgaria)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 88 12:07:20 PST
From: Bruce L Hitson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - DSRS: Distributed/Parallel Discrete-Event
         Simulation (SU)

      DISTRIBUTED/PARALLEL DISCRETE-EVENT SIMULATION:  A SURVEY
                  Marc Abrams - Stanford University

           DSRS: Distributed Systems Research Seminar (CS548)
                     Thursday, January 21, 4:15pm
                        Margaret Jacks Hall 352

Work has increased through the last decade on algorithms to execute
discrete-event simulations on distributed and, more recently, multiprocessor
computer systems.  Some simple ways of exploiting parallelism were quickly
proposed -- running independent sequential simulation replicas in parallel,
and distributing the support functions of a simulation.  However progress
beyond this in executing two or more events in parallel is only beginning to
be demonstrated.  This talk surveys the current state of research in the
field.  Proposed simulation algorithms are discussed.  Performance
characterizations of the algorithms obtained through theoretical analysis,
simulation, and measurement of implementations are summarized.  The talk
concludes with some encouraging directions for future research.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 88 13:45:24 PST
From: Susan Gere <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Virtual Environment Systems (SU)

                 EE380---Computer Systems Colloquium

Title:   Virtual Environment Display Systems

Speaker:  Scott Fisher
From:     NASA/Ames Research Center

Time:    4:15 p.m. on Wednesday, January 20
Place:   Skilling Auditorium

                              Abstract

The presentation will describe recent research trends toward development
of virtual interactive simulation environments for aerospace and commercial
applications.  The primary focus will be the Virtual Environment Workstation
(VIEW) developed at NASA Ames Research Center. This system provides a
multisensory, interactive display environment in which a user can virtually
explore a 360-degree synthesized or remotely sensed environment and can
viscerally interact with its components through use of head-mounted,
stereoscopic displays, tactile input gloves and 3D sound technology.
Applications for Telepresence, Telerobotics and Spatial Data Management
will also be discussed.

Scott S. Fisher is a Research Scientist in the Aerospace Human Factors
Research Division at NASA/Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, California.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 88 22:43:31 EST
From: [email-masked] (Tim Finin)
Subject: Seminar - Solving Dynamic-Input Interpretation Problems
         (Unisys)

                                AI Seminar
                         UNISYS Knowledge Systems
                           Paoli Research Center
                                 Paoli PA

            SOLVING DYNAMIC-INPUT INTERPRETATION PROBLEMS

                         Kathleen D. Cebulka
                  Computer and Information Sciences
                        University of Delaware
                           Newark, DE 19716

Many AI problems can be viewed as interpretation problems which have the
common goal of producing a solution that "explains" a given input.  The
solution usually takes the form of a set of beliefs called a hypothesis.
Although a number of researchers have developed strategies for handling the
static case where the input is fixed, there are many problems where the
input is received dynamically in relatively small increments.  Usually the
problem solver is interacting with a user who expects a timely response
after every input, so it can not postpone forming a solution while it waits
for more complete information.  As a result, the problem solver must rely
on default reasoning and belief revision techniques since new evidence may
reveal that the current hypothesis is not the final answer.

This talk describes a characterization of the solution of dynamic-input
interpretation problems as a search through a hypothesis space.  A domain
independent algorithm, called the Hypothesize-Test-Revise algorithm, is
presented and contrasted with the traditional static approach.  An
advantage of this algorithm is a more efficient strategy for generating and
revising hypotheses in a dynamic environment.

                       2:00pm Wednesday, January 20
                            BIC Conference Room
                       Unisys Paloi Research Center
                        Route 252 and Central Ave.
                              Paoli PA 19311

     -- non-Unisys visitors who are interested in attending should --
     --   send email to [email-masked] or call 215-648-7446  --

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jan  11:54:54 1988
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Generate, Text and Debug for Planning (AT&T)

                 Generate, Test and Debug: a Paradigm for
              Solving Interpretations and Planning Problems

                               Reid Simmons
                  Massachusetts Institute of Technology

      January 21, 1988, AT&T Bell Labs-Murray Hill 3D-473, 11:00 am
       January 22, 1988, AT&T Bell Labs-Holmdel 4C-513, 10:30 am

                                 ABSTRACT

       We describe how the Generate, Test and Debug (GTD) paradigm
       solves interpretation and planning problems, and why its
       combination of associational and causal reasoning
       techniques enables it to achieve efficient and robust
       performance.  The Generator constructs hypotheses using
       domain dependent rules.  The Tester verifies hypotheses and
       supplies the Debugger with causal explanations if the test
       fails, and the Debugger uses domain-independent algorithms to
       repair hypotheses by analyzing the causal explanations and
       models of the domain.  The GTD paradigm has been implemented
       and tested in the domains of geologic interpretation, the
       blocks world, and the Tower of Hanoi problem.

Sponsor: Ron Brachman

------------------------------

Date: Thu 21 Jan 88 10:16:21-EST
From: Marc Vilain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Distributing Backward-Chaining Deductions (BBN)

                    BBN Science Development Program
                       AI Seminar Series Lecture

    DISTRIBUTING BACKWARD-CHAINING DEDUCTIONS TO MULTIPLE PROCESSORS

                              Vineet Singh
                     Stanford University, and SPAR
                     ([email-masked])

                                BBN Labs
                           10 Moulton Street
                    2nd floor large conference room
                     10:30 am, Friday January 29th

The talk presents PM, a parallel execution model for backward-chaining
deductions.  PM exploits more parallelism than other execution models
that use data-driven control and non-shared memory architectures.  The
talk also presents an application-independent, compile-time allocation
strategy for PM that is both fast and effective.  Effectiveness is
demonstrated by comparing speedups obtained from an implementation of
the allocator to an unreachable upper bound and speedups obtained from
random allocations.  The resource allocator uses probabilistic
techniques to predict the amount of communication and the parallelism
profile; this should be useful for other allocation strategies as well.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jan 88 21:04:23 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Luis Farinas)
Subject: Course & Conference - Mathematical Logic (Bulgaria)

                CURRENT ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS
                ----------------------------------------

        SUMMER SCHOOL & CONFERENCE ON MATHEMATICAL LOGIC
        honourably dedicated to the 90th anniversary of Arend Heyting

                September 13-23, 1988

                Chaika near Varna (BULGARIA)

                ORGANIZED BY:
        Sofia University, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences

TOPICS of the meeting:
        * recursion theory
        * modal and non-classical logics
        * intuitionism and constructivism
        * related applications to computer science
        * life and work of Arend Heyting (1898-1980)

INVITED LECTURERS:
        M.Cresswell     V.Lifschitz     G. Sacks
        D.de Jongh      L.Maksimova     D.Skordev
        A. Ditchev      G.Mints         G.Takeuti
        D.Harel         A.Muchnik       A.Toelstra
        M.Kanovich      H.Nishimura     D.van Dalen
        A.Kechris       D.Normann       A.Visser
        B.Kushner       H.Ono           S.Wainer

Submission to the conference are invited from the above areas and will be
evaluated by the Programme Commitee. We shall expect 5 copies of a draft full
paper (in English) of no more than 15 double spaced pages, containing original
contributions. Papers should reach the PC chairman by the deadline below,
accompanied by a one page abstract.

DEADLINES :
                March, 15: Submission
                June,15: Notification
                August,15: final version for publication in the proceedings

ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE :
        Valentin Goranko : local arragements
        Lyubomir Yvanov : Treasurer
        Solomon Passy: Secretary
        Petio Petkov: Chairman
        Tinko Tinchev

Please send all correspondence to the appropriate member of the organization
committee.
                HEYTING'88
                Sector of Logic
                Mathematics Faculty
                boul. Anton Ivanov 5
                SOFIA 1126
                BULGARIA

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************