Subject: AIList Digest V5 #144

From: [email-masked]@vtcs1
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 87 03:16:21 edt

Date: Sun 14 Jun 1987 23:29-PDT
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: AIList Digest   V5 #144
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467

AIList Digest            Monday, 15 Jun 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 144

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Smalltalk-80 Implementations & AI Grad Schools &
    Machine Emotion Research & Neural Network Processors in High Technology &
    ML programming & ICOT Prolog,
  Theory - Complexity Theory,
  AI Tools - The ISI Grapher

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 87 18:34:19 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Tony Kusalik)
Subject: request for info on Smalltalk-80 implementations

We are looking for a version of Smalltalk-80 for
SUN-3's.  We have contacted Berkeley about BSII,
but the blurb that came back states
        "It [BSII] has not been updated to run on SUN 3 or to run
        under the X window system, although others have made these
        changes"

Anyone know who these "others" might be? I.e.
can anyone out there point me in the direction of
a Smalltalk-80 system for SUN-3's?

The Berkeley blurb mentions a SUN implementation done
by L. Peter Deutsch and Allan M. Schiffman.  Does anyone
know of addresses (Email or snail-mail) for them?

        Tony Kusalik
         [email-masked]
         ...!{ihnp4,alberta}!sask!kusalik

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jun 87 13:59:44 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Sean Engelson)
Subject: AI grad schools?

Can anyone give me any `inside' information on graduate CS-AI PhD
programs?  I know of a number of schools with such programs; I am
interested in the opinions of people who have been involved in such
programs, either as students or as professors.  My main interests are
in machine learning, analogical and common-sense reasoning, and
natural language processing.

Thank you,
--

Credo, ergo absurdum est.

LISP ::=
    ((())((Lots(())))(()(()(of(((Idiotic)())()()(Silly(()))()(Parentheses))))))
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sean Philip Engelson                    I have no opinions.
Carnegie-Mellon University              Therefore my employer is mine.
Computer Science Department
----------------------------------------------------------------------
ARPA: [email-masked]
UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!spe

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jun 87 02:03:39 GMT
From: [email-masked] (Tom "Oliver W.
      Jones" Emerson)
Subject: Machine emotion research

I would like information regarding emotion research in intelligent
computers, including references if possible.

If there is suffecient interest, I will report the contents of replies
to the net.

Thanx in advance,

Tom E.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jun 87 15:40:00 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Neural network processors in High Technology

        The May issue of High Technology has an(other) article on
neural networks.  Would someone please send me the names and addresses
of the four companies mentioned in the article.  Thanks.

Brian

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jun 87 19:36:37 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (
      Allen Leung)
Subject: ML programming, anybody?

    Is there any one out there doing serious programming and/or research
 in ML (Meta Language)?  I would like to hear from you.

                                                   Don't trust me,
                                                   I'm just an undergrad.

                                                   Allen Leung,
                                                   SUNY at Stony Brook.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jun 87 18:12:40 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Pierre Jouvelot)
Subject: Re: ML programming, anybody?

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] ( Allen Leung) writes:
>
>    Is there any one out there doing serious programming and/or research
> in ML (Meta Language)?  I would like to hear from you.
>
Yes (I guess) !!

I used it as an executable specification language for the semantic
parallelization of imperative programs during my PhD research in France
(I'm currently a PostDoc in MIT/LCS Programming Research Group). The
overall program is about 3500 lines of ML code (with a few others in
FranzLisp and MLYacc). The overall idea is described in my POPL'87 paper
"Semantic Parallelization: A Practical Exercise in Abstract Interpretation"
where both the theory (abstract interpretation) and practice (use of ML)
are introduced (for courageous people, there is also my PhD thesis ... written
in french :-)

Note that I used the Cambridge/INRIA Version which is older and
slightly different from SML.  The main problem I had was related to
the lack of "real" separate-compilation facility. This should
disappear with newer versions that introduce modules. Besides this, ML is
a very fine language which should have a more widespread use.

Pierre
--
Pierre Jouvelot
Room NE43-403                           ARPA:   [email-masked]
Lab for Computer Science                USENET: decvax!mit-vax!jouvelot
MIT                                             (or mcvax!litp!pj)
545, Technology Square
Cambridge, MA 02139
USA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 87 08:31:20 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Say, what ever happened to ... ICOT Prolog?????

It seems ages ago that the 5th generation project was going to
reinvent AI in a Prolog "engine" that was to do 10 gazillion "
LIPS".  Anyone know what happened?  I mean, if you can make so many
"quality" cars (sans auto transmission, useful A/C, paint that can take
rain and sun, etc.), why can't you make a computer that runs an NP-complete
applications language in real time???  Simi-seriously, what is the status
of the 5th generation project, anyone got an update?

chris ([email-masked])

  [See the June IEEE Spectrum, "Next-Generation Race Bogs Down", Karen
  Fitzgerald and Raul Wallich, pp. 28-33, for a review.  The
  Japanese effort is doing well enough in its parallel architecture
  development and is making some progress in "knowledge programming",
  but has dropped VLSI technology and made little headway in AI and
  knowledge representation.  Competitive efforts in the U.S. and
  Europe have also had the most success in hardware.  The real question
  now is whether the 5th-generation push has given Japan the kind of
  computer-science infrastructure that it needs to compete and perhaps
  pull out ahead in algorithm development.  My guess is that it has not
  (because the software part of the effort was too small).  An interesting
  sign of change, though, is the Japanese government's invitation to
  Western universities to set up branches in Japan.  I assume that
  Japanese leaders will always come from Tyodai or Kyodai, but perhaps
  computer scientists will be educated in a different tradition.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 87 08:33:39 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (J. A. "Biep" Durieux)
Subject: Re: What philosophical problems does complexity theory yield?

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
>But, isn't anything which cannot be turned into a constant-time process
>philosophically annoying? Why just hassling about non-polynomial time
>solutions? Am I missing something?

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ramesh Sitaraman) writes:
>Yes, you are missing the point !!
>
>The difference between a polynomial and non-polynomial solution for
>a problem is the difference between structure and a complete lack
>of it.

Thanks a lot, this sounds much more relevant than just computation time.
But, isn't finding the smallest element of a set solvable only by "dumb
exhaustive search" either? Are people having that much trouble with such a
linear algorithm too?

Also, thanks for including the defs! Such things make the net a whole lot
more readable.

But: please don't put your mail address on the "Follow-up-to: " line.
I'm having a terrible time getting this article out!

Inews
feeding
time

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jun 87 13:35:12 PDT
From: Gabriel Robins <[email-masked]>
Subject: The ISI Grapher

Greetings,

   Due to the considerable interest drawn by the ISI Grapher so far, I am
posting this abstract summarizing its function and current status.  Interested
parties may obtain further information by directly sending EMail to
"[email-masked]" or by writing to:

             Gabriel Robins
             Intelligent Systems Division
             Information Sciences Institute
             4676 Admiralty Way
             Marina Del Rey, Ca 90292-6695

If you want documentation in hardcopy, please include your U.S. Mail address.

Gabe

----------------------------------------------------------------------

                             The ISI Grapher

                                June, 1987

                              Gabriel Robins
                       Intelligent Systems Division
                      Information Sciences Institute

   The ISI Grapher is a set of functions that convert an arbitrary graph
structure (or relation) into an equivalent pictorial representation and
displays the resulting diagram.  Nodes and edges in the graph become boxes and
lines on the workstation screen, and the user may then interact with the
Grapher in various ways via the mouse and the keyboard.

   The fundamental motivation which gave birth to the ISI Grapher is the
observation that graphs are very basic and common structures, and the belief
that the ability to quickly display, manipulate, and browse through graphs  may
greatly enhance the productivity of a researcher, both quantitatively and
qualitatively.  This seems especially true in knowledge representation and
natural language research.

   The ISI Grapher is both powerful and versatile, allowing an
application-builder to easily build other tools on top of it.  The ISI NIKL
Browser is an example of one such tool.  The salient features of the ISI
Grapher are its portability, speed, versatility, and extensibility.  Several
additional applications were already built on top of the ISI Grapher,
providing the ability to graph lists, flavors, packages, divisors, functions,
and Common-Loops classes.

  Several basic Grapher operations may be user-controlled via the specification
of alternate functions for performing these tasks.  These operations include
the drawing of nodes and edges, the selection of fonts, the determination of
print-names, pretty-printing, and highlighting operations.  Standard
definitions are already provided for these operations and are used by default
if the application-builder does not override them by specifying his own
custom-tailored functions for performing the same tasks.

   The ISI Grapher now spans about 100 pages of CommonLisp code. The 120-page
ISI Grapher manual is available; this manual describes the general ideas, the
interface, the application-builder's  back-end, the algorithms, the
implementation, and the data structures.  The ISI Grapher presently runs on
both Symbolics (6 & 7) and TI Explorer workstations.

   If you are interested in more information, the sources themselves, or just
the documentation/manual, please feel free to forward your U.S. Mail address to
"[email-masked]" or write to "Gabriel Robins, c/o Information Sciences
Institute, 4676 Admiralty Way, Marina Del Rey, Ca 90292-6695."

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************