Subject: AIList Digest V5 #126

From: [email-masked]@vtcs1
Date: Sat, 23 May 87 03:15:16 edt

Date: Fri 22 May 1987 11:08-PDT
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: AIList Digest   V5 #126
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467

AIList Digest            Friday, 22 May 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 126

Today's Topics:
  Seminar - Object Communication in Allegro (SU),
  Review - AI and Simulation Workshop,
  Conferences - National Conference on AI &
    Knowledge Acquisition Workshop &
    Symbolics LISP Users Meeting &
    Office Information Systems &
    AI Tutorials at Foothill College

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 20 May 1987 1254-PDT (Wednesday)
From: Taleen Marashian <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Object Communication in Allegro (SU)

WHO:   Mark Linton of Stanford University (CSL-EE)
WHEN:  Thursday, May 28, 1987; 4:15 p.m.
WHERE: Magaret Jacks Hall, Room 352
TITLE: "Object Communication in Allegro"
ABSTRACT:

Large scale object-oriented systems must be able to span machines while
providing efficient and transparent access to small objects.  To build
a distributed programming environment, we are using the concept of an
object space that provides remote access to a group of objects.  Object
spaces are managed by independent servers that unify the traditional
concepts of commands and files, thereby simplifying the problems of
data management and concurrency control.  Objects communicate with
remote objects synchronously or asynchronously, multiplexing messages
through an underlying connection between spaces.

We are implementing a prototype system, named Allegro, in which
software objects are distributed across multiple object spaces.  In
this talk, we describe the Allegro object model, the protocol for
accessing remote objects, the runtime support necessary for building
the servers, and the current implementation.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 87 10:26:23 PDT
From: Mike Hamilton, AI Magazine <[email-masked]>
Subject: Review - AI and Simulation Workshop

Report on the 1986 Artificial Intelligence and Simulation Workshop

                Richard B. Modjeski
                US Army Concepts Analysis Agency,
                Advanced Research Projects Office
                8120 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda, MD  20814

The first Artificial Intelligence (AI) and simulation workshop was
held during the National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
on August 11, 1986 at the University of Pennsylvania (Wharton Hall).
It was attended by over 40 participants from academic, government, and
industrial institutions.  It included paper presentations, informal
discussions, and a panel summary of AI and simulation applications in
the areas of: 1) State of the art and future directions in AI and
simulation (Authur Gerstenfeld, Worcester Polytechnic Institute); 2)
AI problem solving using simulation (Y.V.  Ramana Reddy, University of
West Virginia); 3) Knowledge representation issues related to
simulation (Marilyn Stelzner, Intellicorp); 4) Engineering issues
related to AI and simulation (Dick Modjeski, US Army Concepts Analysis
Agency).  Individual presentations given in each of the above areas of
the workshop are published in a technical report distributed by the
Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC Number AD-A174 053).  A
copy of the report can be obtained by calling DTIC at
(202)274-6847/6874.

The fields of computer simulation and artificial intelligence offer
each other something of value.  The methods and techniques of each
discipline offer a fresh approach to revitalizing each other.  The
intersection of AI and simulation may offer a unique application of
computer science that may be of use to both fields.  Many of the
concepts in this area of AI applied from simulation are developed from
engineering and computer science application experiments.  Some
formalisms have appeared but much work needs to be done to establish
relations between constructs and processes.  Applications developed
using combinations of AI and simulation techniques by universities,
industry, and government have demonstrated that this aspect of AI is
already maturing as a useful area of development.

LTC Russell E. Frew, Program Manager of the Air-Land Battle Management
Project, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), suggested
that their was growing interest in applying AI and simulation within
the Department of Defense.  A request was made that proposals for
research in this area be sent to DARPA.

The Second Workshop on AI and Simulation will be held on July 14, 1987
in conjuction with the AAAI-87 Conference in Room 316-B of South
Campus Center, University of Washington, Seattle.  This workshop is
open to Conference attendees and will provide another opportunity for
researchers and applications designers to exchange ideas and debate
issues in this growing area of interest.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 87 09:49:47 PDT
From: AAAI <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - National Conference on AI, July 13-17, 1987

                           AAAI-87
                      JULY 13-17, 1987
                 (a month earlier this year!)

                      SEATTLE, WASHINGTON

Just a reminder that the pre-registration deadline date for the
National Conference on AI is June 12.  If you would like more
information about the program, send a msg to AAAI-Office
@sumex-aim.stanford.edu or call 415-328-3123 (PST 7 am-5:30
pm).

------------------------------

Date: 18 May 87 20:02:12 GMT
From: [email-masked] (John Boose)
Subject: Conference - Knowledge Acquisition Workshop at Reading,
         England

                             CALL FOR PAPERS

                        FIRST EUROPEAN WORKSHOP ON
            KNOWLEDGE ACQUISITION FOR KNOWLEDGE-BASED SYSTEMS
                       Reading University, England
                          1st-3rd September 1987

A workshop on Knowledge Acquisition for Knowledge-Based  Systems  will  be
held at Reading University, England, from 1st-3rd September 1987.

Topics include:
      -  Transfer of expertise  -  systems  which  interview  experts  and
         structure knowledge
      -  Knowledge engineering -  manual  techniques,  training  knowledge
         engineers
      -  Induction of knowledge from examples
      -  Extraction of knowledge from text
      -  Knowledge acquisition methodologies

The attendence at the workshop will be limited to 30 people.  Four  copies
of  an  extended  abstract (up to 8 pages, double spaced) or a full-length
paper should be sent to Tom Addis or Brian Gaines before July 1, 1987.

Reading University is near Heathrow Airport and a short train journey from
central  London.   The  workshop  is  residential  and accomodation may be
booked at the University through Tom Addis.

Co-Chairmen:

Tom Addis ([email-masked])
Department of Computer Science
University of Reading
Whitenights, PO Box 220, Reading RG6 2AX, UK

John Boose ([email-masked])
Boeing Advanced Technology Center
Boeing Computer Services M/S 7L-64
PO Box 24346, Seattle, WA, 98124,  USA

Brian Gaines ([email-masked])
Department of Computer Science
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4

--
John Boose, Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center
  arpa: [email-masked]     uucp: uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!john

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 May 1987  17:11 CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Symbolics LISP Users Meeting

                                 SLUG 87

                   Symbolics LISP Users Group Meeting

                             July 6-10, 1987

The Third Annual  Symbolics LISP  Users Group  Meeting will  be held  in
Seattle, Washington  at  the  University  of  Washington from July 6-10,
1987.  This is the week before the AAAI Conference, so participants  can
coordinate their travel plans  if they plan  to attend that  conference.
Inexpensive accommodations on  the university  campus are  available and
can be reserved on the registration form that is being mailed out.

TUTORIALS:

The first  two  days  of  the  Meeting  will  be devoted to full-day and
half-day tutorials.  Below is a list of tutorial topics:

  Tutorial                                        instructor
  ==================================================================
  AI Program Design (Monday -- F)                 Elaine Rich
  Overview of Site Administration (Monday -- F)   Symbolics Ed. Services
  Color Graphics   I  (Mon. - a.m.)               Dave Dyer
  Color Graphics  II  (Mon. - p.m.)               Dave Dyer
  Color Graphics III  (Mon. - p.m.)               Symbolics Graphics

  Introduction to ART (Tuesday -- F)              Inference Corporation
  Building Knowl. Sys. Interfaces (Tues. - a.m.)  IntelliCorp
  Programming Productivity  I (Tues. - a.m.)      Symbolics Ed. Services
  Programming Productivity II (Tues. - p.m.)      Symbolics Ed. Services

Elaine  Rich,  from  MCC,  is   author  of  the  textbook,   "Artificial
Intelligence".   Dave  Dyer  is  the  principle  software  developer  of
Symbolics color  graphics  system  software.   The  tutorials  taught by
Inference and IntelliCorp will  feature their expert  system development
tools, ART, and KEE, respectively.

CONFERENCE SESSIONS:

The remaining three days  of the Meeting  will feature presentations  by
users and members of the Symbolics technical staff.  Planned topics

    * New Product Announcements
    * Networking
    * Expert System Tools and Environments
    * The SLUG software library
    * The Common Lisp standard and proposed extensions to it
    * "Programming Pearls" on the Lisp Machine
    * Software Engineering Methodology in Genera 7

REGISTRATION:

Registration for the conference is $90.  Each full-day tutorial is  $90,
and each half-day tutorial is $45.  Registration forms are being  mailed
out concurrent with  this announcement.   Requests for  additional forms
and questions concerning the conference and tutorials should be directed
to:

        Martin Purvis
        SLUG-87 Chairman
        Computer Science Department
        2.124 Tayor Hall
        University of Texas
        Austin,  TX  78712 USA
        (512) 471-9555
        [email-masked]

Questions concerning registration and housing should be directed to:

        Conference Management/SLUG
        University of Washing, GH-25
        Seattle, Washington 98195 USA
        (206) 543-2300

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 87 09:59:59 edt
From: [email-masked] (Robert B. Allen)
Subject: Conference - Office Information Systems

                CONFERENCE ON OFFICE INFORMATION SYSTEMS
                    Palo Alto, CA - March 23-25, 1988
        Sponsored by:   ACM-SIGOIS   IEEE Computer Society TC-OA
                    In Cooperation with IFIP W.G. 8.4

COIS is a conference concerned with intelligent processing of information in
organizations - topics of interest include:
  Effects of Technology on Human Organizations  Information Systems
  Object-Oriented and Intelligent Databases     Planning Systems
  Computer-Supported Cooperative Work           Information Retrieval
  Multimedia/Hypertext Systems                  Organizational Design
  Distributed Artificial Intelligence           User Models
  Voice/Video/Graphics                          Interconnect

PROGRAM COMMITTEE: G. Bracchi (Milan), S. Christodoulakis (Waterloo),
Bruce Croft (UMass), Peter DeJong (MIT), Les Gasser (USC), Eli Gerson
(San Francisco), Irene Greif (Lotus), Benn Konsynski (Harvard), Yoshifumi
Masunaga (Tokyo), Norm Meyrowitz (Brown), Alain Michard (INRIA), Juzar
Motiwalla (Singapore), John Mylopoulos (Toronto), Bill Newman (London),
Margi Olson (NYU), Fausto Rabitti (Pisa), Ron Rice (USC), Jeff Rulifson
(Syntelligence), Chris Schmandt (MIT), Lucy Suchman (Xerox PARC), Dennis
Tsichritzis, Geneva), C.J. van Rijsbergen (Glasgow), Andrew Whinston
(Purdue), Thomas Wu (NPS), Stan Zdonik (Brown)

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE: Najah Naffah (General Chair, Bull), Bob Allen
(Program Chair, Bellcore), Dave Choy (IBM, SJ), Skip Ellis (MCC), Carl
Hewitt (MIT), Fred Lochovsky (Toronto), Bob Root - (Treasurer, Bellcore),
Sig Treu (Pittsburgh), Alex Verrijn-Stuart (Leiden)

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: TERRY WINOGRAD

INFORMATION FOR AUTHORS: Submissions by September 21, 1987.
Papers will be judged for technical merit by appropriate subgroups of
the program committee.  Submissions (max. 3500 words) may be made
either on paper (5 copies) or on some standard electronic medium to:

          Conference on Office Information Systems
          Dr. Robert B. Allen
          2A-367
          Bell Communications Research
          Morristown, NJ 07960

------------------------------

Date: Thu 21 May 87 18:20:17-PDT
From: Marcelo Hoffmann <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - AI Tutorials at Foothill College

IEEE in association with the Foothill College CIS Department is
offering tutorials on AI technologies and applications

Date: Saturday, June 13, 1987,  8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

Location: Foothill College, Los Altos, California

Subjects:

    AI Application Track

          PC based expert systems- Paul Harmon, lecturer & consultant
          AI in Finance-Dr. Richard Duda, Senior Scientist, Syntelligence
          AI Project Management - Tom Schwarz, AI Editor EE Times

    AI Technology Track

          Neural networks- Robert Hecht-Neilsen, Hecht Neilsen
                                Neurocomputer Corporation
                           Claude Cruz-Young, IBM Research Center(PA)
                           John Vovodsky, President of Neurotech

          Intelligent Interfaces- Shelley Horwitz, SRI International

          AI Hardware- Robert Keller, Quintus
                       Anoop Gupta, Stanford University
                       Shing Kong, UC Berkeley
                       George Adams, Research Institute for
                              Advanced Computer Science

Program Schedule:

         8:00 Registration
         8:30-10:30 Intelligent Interfaces, AI in finance
         10:30-10:45 Break
         10:45-12:45 AI Hardware; AI Project Managment
         12:45:1:45  Lunch
         2:00-4:00 Neural Networks; PC Based Expert Systems

----------------------------------------------------------------
                      REGISTRATION FORM
Fees
_____ $85 for IEEE Members    Name__________________Title____________
       who reg. before 6/1    Company Name __________________________
_____ $90 for IEEE Members    Address________________________________
       who reg. on site              ________________________________
_____ $95 non members on      IEEE Membership #______________________
       site (space avail.)    Daytime phone# (   )___________________
_____ $90 non members
       before 6/1
_____ $65 full-time students

Make checks out to SVC/CS and mail to: IEEE Council Office
                                       701 Welsh Rd., #2205
                                       Palo Alto, CA 94304

For additional information call IEEE Council at(415) 327-662

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************