Subject: AIList Digest V5 #124

From: [email-masked]@vtcs1
Date: Tue, 19 May 87 03:20:03 edt

Date: Sun 17 May 1987 22:24-PDT
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: AIList Digest   V5 #124
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467

AIList Digest            Monday, 18 May 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 124

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Behavioral Simulation Sources &  IntelligenceWare &
    AI in Third-World Countries & OPS5 Programs Source Library &
    Biomedical Vision or Expert Systems,
  Application - Grammar Checkers,
  Humor - Artificial Life,
  Seminars - Planlunch Time Change (SRI) &
    Exploration and Adaptation in Design (CMU) &
    Probabilistic Analysis of Algorithms (SU) &
    AND-Parallelism of Logic Programming (KAIST) &
    Inheritance Hierarchies: Semantics and Unification (UTexas)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 13 May 87 16:27:41 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Rene van 't Veen)
Subject: sources wanted

I am posting this for a friend of mine without access to the net,
but I will accept any replies.

My friend is writing a thesis about Artificial Intelligence,
especially about programs that simulate pathological behaviour.
( Like PARRY from Colby ).

My friend would be interested in public-domain programs that do
this sort of thing, to play a little with them.

Source can be in : C ( preferred ), Pascal, Modula-2, Lisp ( Xlisp ),
Icon, Basic, Prolog, Fortran.

Thanks in advance ...

Please e-mail to [email-masked]
                 ...!seismo!mcvax!nikhefh!u13

R. van 't Veen .. mcvax!nikhefh!u13.                 All opinions are my own.

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 87 18:37:34 GMT
From: [email-masked] 
      (Earl Shaffer)
Subject: IntelligenceWare

Does anyone have any practical experience with InteliigenceWare's
Intelligence/Compiler product?

==============================================================================
Earl Shaffer - University of Pennsylvania - Data Communications Department
"Time was invented so that everything wouldn't happen at once." Steven Wright
==============================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 May 87 15:36:30 -0700
From: "Jose A. Ambros-Ingerson" (Dept of ICS, U of California,
      Irvine) <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI in Third-World Countries

        Could you please post this in the AIList? Can you suggest other
boards where it would appropriate to post?
[sent to AIList and AI-ED]

                AI IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES

        We are interested in constructing a global picture of the impact AI is
having in the Third World and of the implications this impact can have
upon these countries in the future.

    We would therefore like to assess the current state of AI in the
Third World, especially:

  - Current AI research in Third World Countries (3WC).
  - Current AI research  in the US/Europe related to Third World problems
        or applications.
    Research outlines and papers would be most appreciated.

 - Current Applied AI in 3WC.
    Which applications (Expert Systems, ICAI, Planning, Robotics, etc.)
        are being considered for what purpose?
    Are there any systems currently in use?
    Any AI companies targeting products at 3WCs?

 - Social impacts of AI in 3WC.
    Reorganization of the work-place, unemployment, economic repercussions,
        cultural transformations, etc.

    We'd also like to assess how the Third World sees the future of
AI, and more specifically, whether there are any:

  - Government programs for the support/funding of AI research and
    development.
    Like the Fifth Generation Project, MCC, Strategic Computing, Alvey or
    Espirit.

  - AI graduate programmes and undergrate courses in 3WC universities.

Please mail information to either

        [email-masked]            in the USA, or
        [email-masked]        in the United Kingdom

or send copies of papers or other information to me at

        Jose A. Ambros-Ingerson
        Dept. of Information and Computer Science
        University of California
        Irvine, CA, 92717, USA.

The information obtained will be collated and summarized and made available
to researchers on request. If enough interest is manifest a network forum
for the interchange of ideas amongst researchers working in similar areas
could be considered.

Thanks for your assistance,
Jose A. Ambros-Ingerson.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 May 87 15:45:40 EDT
From: Alexander Pasik <[email-masked]>
Subject: OPS5 Programs source library

We at columbia have compiled a library of OPS5 programs.  We are
making them available to the general public for benchmarking,
analysis, or any other production system related research.

We are eager to expand this library so any submissions are welcome.
If you have an OPS5 program to add to our library, send its net
address and any instructions to me ([email-masked]) and I
will pull the systems over.

If you wish to use the library it is available via anonymous ftp on
columbia.edu in the directory prosys.  This directory contains one
subdirectory per system.

Alexander Pasik
Department of Computer Science
Columbia University
New York, NY 10027

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 May 87
From: knewton@watdcsu
Subject: vision query (and reply)

      hello :

            I am looking for any refences having anything to do with the
      following : computer-assisted identification of cells/tissue; biomedical
      expert systems; general computer vision and pattern recognition
      algorithms.  I seem to remember someone, maybe from York University in
      Toronto, posting something on vision , but I can't seem to remember or
      be able to find it. If you can help me, just email me.

                                 glen newton
                                 knewton@watdcsu

  [There are two vision lists: [email-masked] (machine vision)
  and [email-masked] (primarily biological vision).
  There is also an enormous literature, growing by over a thousand
  papers per year.  See, for instance, the IEEE conferences on
  Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition.  There have also been
  conferences on medical vision (cell classification, CAT-scanning,
  tumor detection, etc.).  The annual IEEE conferences on pattern
  recognition are even larger than those on vision, but very little
  is directly applicable to biological vision problems.  You should
  check out back issues of Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image
  Processing (formerly Computer Graphics and Image Processing) or
  IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Vision.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 13 May 87 20:41:53 GMT
From: [email-masked] (John Stanley)
Reply-to: [email-masked] (John Stanley)
Subject: Re: Grammar Checkers

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Scott E. Preece) writes:
 >Out of curiosity, would any of the automated checkers people have
 >been talking about have caught the "their" for "there" error in....

  I don't know about the ones people have been talking about, but I
do know there is a program under development that can handle "there"
vs "their" or, for that matter, the "two" vs "too" vs "to".  It's a
new program, not yet released, but should be out by the end of the
year.  The company working on it is a small Minnesota based company
working on AI related software products for mini/micro/word-processor
applications.

---
John Stanley ([email-masked])
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 1987, 00:01:30 EDT
From: Norman Haas <[email-masked]>
Subject: Humor - Artificial Life

(In case this point hasn't already been made, re the "Artificial Life" confer-
ence announcement a few issues back:)

  Why stop with life?  Let's go all the way:

  1. Artificial Culture and Civilization, including
          Artificial Natural Languages
  2. Artificial Science, including
          Artificial Research in the field of Artificial Intelligence

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 87 15:41:28 PDT
From: Amy Lansky <[email-masked]>
Subject: PLANLUNCH TIME CHANGE

The time for next week's Planlunch has been changed to 2PM.
                                                       ---
Sorry about any inconvenience....

          CAUSAL REASONING AS NONMONOTONIC TEMPORAL REASONING

               Yoav Shoham ([email-masked])
                       Stanford University

                   2:00 PM, MONDAY, May 18
            SRI International, Building E, Room EJ228

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 87 09:50:47 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Exploration and Adaptation in Design (CMU)

                SPECIAL SEMINAR

TOPIC:    CYCLOPS: A Computational Model of Exploration & Adaptation
          In Design

SPEAKER:  Dundee Navinchandra, MIT

WHEN:     Thursday, May 14, 1987 at 10:00 am

WHERE:    Doherty Hall 3313, CMU

ABSTRACT:

A design system has two basic and essential components: a @b(search)
component and a @b(knowledge) based reasoning component.  Designs are
generated by searching the state space of designs, and knowledge is
used to keep the search manageable.

@b(Search Component:)  The first part of our research has been in
understanding how designers deal with multiple interacting criteria.
Criteria in design problems can be in the form of constraints, goals or
objectives.  It is the job of the designer to produce an artifact that
simultaneously satisfies all the criteria.  In the process of achieving
this, the designer has to relax constraints and tradeoff among
objectives.  Our system uses pareto-optimality to identify and present
the user with critical tradeoffs in the design problem.  The program
also helps the designer @b(explore) the design space by systematically
relaxing constraints and looking for interesting alternatives.

@b(Knowledge-based Component:)  The second part of our research is
aimed at developing a technique for recognizing and adapting interesting
designs.  This is done through a precedents-based reasoning system.
Precedents are frames that hold knowledge about past design experiences
from within and without the current domain.  These experiences are used
to recognize interesting designs.  A design is labeled as interesting
if its characteristics cause the reminding of a precedent that was
previously labeled as interesting.  Precedents are also used to
@b(adapt) designs that have problems.  A technique, called @i(demand
posting) has been developed for solving design problems by reasoning
analogically from the database of precedents.

The above ideas have been implemented in the domain of Landscape
Architecture.  The program is called CYCLOPS.

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 1987 1027-PDT (Friday)
From: Tanya Walker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Probabilistic Analysis of Algorithms (SU)

Computer Science Colloquium
PLACE:  Terman Auditorium
TIME:  4:15-5:15
DATE:   May 19, 1987

TITLE:  An Introduction to the Probabilistic Analysis of Combinatorial
Algorithms

SPEAKER:        Richard Karp, Computer Science Dept, UC Berkeley

In fields such as operations research, artificial intelligence and
computer-aided design, algorithms are often used that perform well in
practice even though there is no theoretical guarantee of their good
performance.  The simplex algorithm for linear programming is perhaps
the most notable example of this phenomenon.  It is a major challenge
to algorithm designers to provide a theoretical foundation for such
quick-and-dirty heuristic algorithms.  One approach is through
probabilistic analysis, in which one defines a probability distribution
over the set of instances of a problem, and the endevors to prove
that some fast, simple algorithm performs well with high probability.
The speaker will discuss this approach, using examples related to set
partitioning, bin packing and linear programming.  He will then make an
assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of probabilistic analysis as
a method of validating quick-and-dirty algorithms.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 May 87 15:48:58+0900
From: Dongwook Shin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - AND-Parallelism of Logic Programming (KAIST)

                           KAIST CS  SEMINAR

                     AND-Parallelism of Logic Programming

                             K. M. Choe
                        [email-masked]
                             11 May, 4:00 -

  Professor Choe will present a seminar on AND_Parallelism of logic
  programming. He is an assistant professor at KAIST. The abstract of
  this seminar is described below.

                            ABSTRACT

 In this seminar, some of the speaker's recent contributions to
the AND-Parallelism of logic programming are to be presented.
First, a brief explanation on the AND/OR-Parallelism is to be
given. And then (1) the incompleteness of Conery's backtracking
model and it's solution, (2) the increased efficiency in combining
the "fork" and "join" scheme, (3) the definitions and the efficient
handling multiple failures, and (4) the multiple backtrackings in general
case are to be described in sequence.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 15 May 87 10:50:11-CDT
From: Ellie Huck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Inheritance Hierarchies: Semantics and Unification
         (UTexas)

Please join the AI Program for the following talk:

                             Gert Smolka
                      Universitat Kaiserslauten
                           May 20 - 2:00pm
                       AI Conference Room 2.502

        "Inheritance Hierarchies:  Semantics and Unification"

Inheritance hierarchies are employed in knowledge representation and
object-oriented programming as a means of representing taxonomically
organized data.  In our approach, inheritance hierarchies are built up
from so-called feature types, which are ordered by subtyping and whose
elements are records.  Every feature type comes with a set of features
corresponding to the fields of its record elements.

Given an inheritance hierarchy, so-called feature terms are used to
denote sets of values.  Unification of two feature terms computes a
feature term denoting the intersection of their denotations.  Feature
unification is employed in logic programming and computational
linguistics.

In this talk, we express feature types and inheritance hierarchies as
algebraic types in order-sorted equational logic.  This reduction
provides a meaningful initial algebra semantics and a well understood
notion of equality.  In particular, our framework supports the
combination of algebraic types and inheritance hierarchies.

Feature unification turns out to be unification with respect to
equational axioms and to subsume order-sorted and untyped unification.
We specify a unitary feature unification algorithm by a set of
simplification rules and prove its soundness and completeness with
respect to the model-theoretic semantics.

May 20 - 2:00pm
AI Conference Room 2.502

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************