Subject: AIList Digest V5 #134

From: [email-masked]@vtcs1
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 87 03:25:59 edt

Date: Mon  1 Jun 1987 09:27-PDT
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: AIList Digest   V5 #134
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467

AIList Digest             Monday, 1 Jun 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 134

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - Knowledge-Based Software Development Tools (SRI) &
    The Inverse Method (MCC) &
    So What if Macsyma is an Expert System? (TI),
  Conference - AI and SEA &
    CFP: CSCSI-88 (Canadian AI Conference) &
    HICSS-21, Rapid Prototyping &
    Theoretical Aspects of Reasoning about Knowledge

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 16:49:56 PDT
From: Amy Lansky <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Knowledge-Based Software Development Tools (SRI)

             KNOWLEDGE-BASED SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS

                Douglas R. Smith ([email-masked])
                      Kestrel Institute

                   11:00 AM, MONDAY, June 1
            SRI International, Building E, Room EJ228

We describe some of the experimental knowledge-based software
development tools under development at Kestrel Institute.  In
particular, we discuss systems for automatically performing algorithm
design, deduction, optimization (finite differencing), data structure
selection, and performance estimation.  We show how these systems
could cooperate in supporting the transformation of a formal
specification of a schedule optimization problem into efficient code.

VISITORS:  Please arrive 5 minutes early so that you can be escorted up
from the E-building receptionist's desk.  Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Thu 21 May 87 15:44:50-CDT
From: Ellie Huck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - The Inverse Method (MCC)

                          Vladimir Lifschitz
                         Stanford University

                           May 27 - 10:00pm
                      ACA Conference Room 2.806

                    "What is the Inverse Method?"

A large part of work on proof procedures for predicate logic done in
the Soviet Union in the sixties and seventies was based on the
"inverse method", proposed by Sergey Maslov.  This important work has
not been duly appreciated outside the small circle of Maslov's
associates.  I will review the basic ideas of the method in the form
which stresses its connection with resolution.

May 27 - 10:00
ACA Conference Room

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 May 1987 12:37 CST
From: Leff (Southern Methodist University)
      <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - So What if Macsyma is an Expert System? (TI)

       Texas Instruments Computer Science Center Lecture Series

            SO WHAT IF MACSYMA IS AN EXPERT SYSTEM?

             Prof. David Y. Y. Yun
             Southern Methodist University

             10:00 am, Friday, 5 June 1987
           North Building Cafeteria Room C-4

ABSTRACT

The real question is how MACSYMA, or any other symbolic math system,
can be used to help scientists and engineers.  Existing symbolic math
systems are too narrowly focused and too difficult to integrate with
other computing capabilities.  Such limitations keep these systems at
the level of casual tools for scientists and engineers.  Technologies
in symbolic computing and system support have progressed sufficiently
far for us to envision an integrated working environment that can not
only provide expert performance on special problems through a large
repository of knowledge bases, but also cater to individual needs by
providing guidance and consultation on these available capabilities.

We will first survey the current state of symbolic math systems by
presenting sample capabilities.  Then assess available techniques that
will enable us to achieve such a goal.

------------------------------

Date: 22 May 1987 15:50:38 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - AI and SEA

                ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND SEA

                18 - 19 Juin 1987, Marseille (France)
                        ________________

Organised by: Institut International de Robotique et d'Intelligence
Artificielle de Marseille, 2 rue Henri Barbusse, 13241 Marseille cedex 1

Registration Information: Viviane Bernadac, IIRIAM,
        tel     (33) 91 91 36 72
        telex   440 860
        telefax (33) 91 91 70 24
        Address: IIRIAM
                 2 rue Henri Barbusse
                 13241 Marseille cedex 1
                 France

                PROGRAM OF THE CONFERENCE

                Thursday 18th June 1987:

8h30 - 9h00     Members reception

9h00 - 9h30     Welcome speech
                Jean-Francois Le Maitre, IIRIAM

Session 1, chairman: Vieillard Baron, IRCN

9h30 - 10h00    Jean-Claude Rault, EC2, France
        State of the Art of expert systems applications

10h00 - 10h30   M.F. Mac Gowan, Cooperative Institute for Marine and
                Atmospheric Studies, Miami,
        USA Catcurv1, a fishery management expert system module

10h30 - 11h00   Break

Session 2, chairman: Jean-Claude Rault, EC2

11h00 - 11h30   M. Alquier, ENSEEIHT, France
        Artificial Intelligence and Navigation in sail boat races.

11h30 - 12h00   J. Schoellkopf, S2O Developpement, France
        PNAO, an expert system for offshore positionning and navigation

12h00 - 12h30   J. Fox, University of Hawaii, USA
        Laser aided machine vision in the ocean

12h30 - 14h00   Lunch

Session 3, chairman: Georges Thebaud, Comite Central des Armateurs de France

14h00 - 14h30   J.P. Poitou, CNRS, France
        The expert and the system, consequence for cognitive analysis:
        example in naval ship building

14h30 - 15h00   M. Daniel, J.M. Kobus, C. Sayettat, ENSAM, France
        Artificial Intelligence Techniques in CAD for fishing boats

15h00 - 15h30   B. Baret, M. Cayrol, J. Laforgue, IRCN, France
        Use of Artificial Intelligence in CAD: CAD evolution for the Steel
        Hull Design in Shipbuilding Industry

15h30 - 16h00   Break

Session 4, chairman: Pierre Orsero, IMT
16h00 - 16h30   J.M. Andre, Laboratoire de Marcoussis, France
        CADOO, an expert system in spatial accomodations.

16h30 - 17h00   B. Neveu, INRIA, France
        SMECI, an expert system for breakwater conception

18h00 - 19h30   Cocktail at the City Hall of Marseilles

                Friday 19th June 1987

Session 5, chairman: Hubert Du Mesnil, Port Autonome de Marseille, France

9h30 - 10h00    R Baleydier, Port Autonome de Marseille, France
        Expert System of maintenance diagnostic fro handling container
        machine

10h00 - 10h30   D. Peguin, CEFI, France
        Expert System for long term harbour traffic prediction

10h30 - 11h00   Break

Session 6, chairman: J.P. Fail, IFP

11h00 - 11h30   B. Hamidi, R. Tremollieres, IAE France
        Information and decision expert system in harbour management

11h30 - 12h00   M. Bennett, Cambridge Consultants LTD, UK
        Machine Intelligence and the underwater vehicle (ROV'S)

12h00 - 12h30   D. Lane, Heriot Watt University, Scotland
        The rational Cell: a modular KBS Architecture for the integration
        of diverse information processing operations. Applications in sector
        scan imagery.

12h30 - 14h00   Lunch

Session 7, chairman: Michel Brechet, B+ Developpement, France

14h00 - 14h30   J.F. Strutt, Cranfield Institute of Technology, UK
        EXPRES, a rule-based pipeline design expert system

14h30 - 15h00   R. Nossum, Computas Expert Systems, Norway
        CPS/IF, an intelligent front-end to a Computer mapping package

15h00 - 15h30   M. Blaquiere, Centre de Recherches, CFP Total, France
        Simulation of processes for risk predictions

15h30 - 16h00   Break

Session 8, chairman: C. Roger

16h00 - 16h30   J.P. Quilleveyre, Elf Aquitaine, France
        SERSO, an expert system for offshore platform reanalysis

16h30 - 17h00   S. Zeuthen, Norvegian Institute of technology, Norway
        STABRIG and PROLIX: knowledge-based systems for marine operations
        (semi-subs stability problems and mooring systems).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 12:06:19 pdt
From: Bob Woodham <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - CFP: CSCSI-88 (Canadian AI Conference)

Please post the following to AIList-Digest:

                      C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S

               Canadian Artificial Intelligence Conference

                             C S C S I - 8 8

                       Edmonton Convention Centre
                            Edmonton, Alberta
                           June 6 - 10,  1988

CSCSI-88 is the seventh biennial conference on Artificial Intelligence
sponsored by the Canadian Society for Computational Studies of
Intelligence/la Societe canadienne pour l'etude de l'intelligence par
ordinateur (CSCSI/SCEIO).  The 1988 conference will be held in Edmonton in
conjunction with Graphics Interface '88 and Vision Interface '88.

Contributions are requested describing original research results, either
theoretical or applied, in all areas of Artificial Intelligence research.
The following areas are especially of interest:

   Knowledge Representation           Robotics
   Perception (Vision, Touch, Speech) Knowledge Acquisition and Maintenance
   Natural Language Understanding     Cognitive Modelling
   Expert Systems and Applications    Social Aspects of AI
   Reasoning (Formal, Qualitative)    Architectures and Languages
   Learning                           Applications

All submissions will be refereed by a Program Committee.  Authors are
requested to prepare full papers of no more than 5000 words in length and to
specify in which area they wish their papers to be reviewed.  All papers
must contain a concise statement of the original contribution made to
Artificial Intelligence research, with proper reference to the relevant
literature.  At the time of submission, authors must indicate if the paper
has appeared, or has been submitted, elsewhere.  Failure to do so will lead
to automatic rejection.  Figures and illustrations should be professionally
drawn.  Photographs, if included, should be of publication quality.  All
accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings.  As a
condition of acceptance, the author, or one of the co-authors, will be
required to present the paper at the conference.

The international journal, Artificial Intelligence, has offered a best paper
prize for the conference.  Selection of a best paper will be done by the
Program Committee.

   Three (3) copies of the paper due:         October 31, 1987.
   Notification of acceptance or rejection:   February 1, 1988.
   Camera ready copy due:                     March 28, 1988.

Send papers and other correspondence to:

   Nick Cercone                       Bob Woodham
   School of Computing Science        Department of Computer Science
   Simon Fraser University            University of British Columbia
   Burnaby, B.C.  V5A 1S6             Vancouver, B.C.  V6T 1W5
   CANADA                             CANADA
   (604) 291-4277                     (604) 228-4368

   [email-masked]                  [email-masked]
   [email-masked]       [email-masked]
                                      [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 May 1987 20:33 CST
From: Leff (Southern Methodist University)
      <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - HICSS-21, Rapid Prototyping

                              CALL FOR PAPERS AND REFEREES
                 "Rapid Prototyping of Large-Scale Software" Mini-Track
              HAWAII INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE on SYSTEM SCIENCES (HICSS-21)
                                     SOFTWARE TRACK
                                    January 5-8, 1988

                              Murat M. Tanik
                              Southern Methodist University
                              Computer Science Department
                              Dallas, TX  75275-0122
                              (214) 692-2854
                              CSNET: [email-masked]

Mini-Track Concept:

This mini-track involves the investigation of the ways of rapid
development of large-scale software prototypes.  Software developers
are constantly faced with both a changing problem definition and a
changing solution environment.  This results in costly modification or
replacement of software.  Present systems do not address this problem
adequately.  A partial solution lies in the rapid development of
software.  The resulting rapid feedback could be used to effectively
detect and resolve errors and inconsistencies in the problem
definition.

Prototyping provides early execution of software capabilities, to let
end-users see the operational results of a system specification so
that they can identify de ficiencies before the system is hardened
into production code.  To be effective, a prototype must be rapidly
constructed and modified, so that the effort required to do the
specification development and evaluation does not constraint system
capabilities.

Examples of suitable topics include:
  .  The role of knowledge engineering in prototyping enviroments.
  .  Rapid prototyping of real-time systems.
  .  Rapid prototyping paradigms.
  .  Graphics oriented user interfaces for prototyping systems.
  .  Domain specific prototyping systems.
  .  Stimulation/simulation environments for prototypes of real-time systems.
  .  Support tools for prototyping environments.
  .  Intelligent documentation/help systems for prototypes.
  .  Reusability in prototyping environments.
  .  Prototyping vs. simulation.

The manuscript should be directed towards the research and development
community and not the management community.  Manuscripts should be
22-26 typewritten, double-spaced pages in length.  Please do not send
submissions that are significantly shorter or longer than this.  The
manuscript must contain original results and should not be submitted
elsewhere while it is being evaluated for acceptance to HICSS-21.
Manuscripts that have already appeared in publication will not be
considered for this conference.

Please send six copies of your manuscript to me before July 20, 1987.
Each paper should have a title page which includes the title of the
paper, the full name of its author(s), affiliation(s), complete
physical and e-mail address(es), and telephone number(s).  Each
manuscript is put into a rigorous refereeing process.
  .  Notifications of accepted papers will be mailed to the author on or
     before September 7, 1987.
  .  Final papers in camera-ready form will be due by October 19, 1987.

Your participation is invited as author, referee or both.  Please
contact me by e-mail or otherwise.

------------------------------

Date: 20 April 87 16:03-PDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Theoretical Aspects of Reasoning about Knowledge

                         Call for Papers

                    The Second Conference on
        THEORETICAL ASPECTS OF REASONING ABOUT KNOWLEDGE

              March 6-9, 1988, Monterey, California

The 2nd Conference on  Theoretical  Aspects  of  Reasoning  about
Knowledge,  sponsored  by  the  International  Business  Machines
Corporation  and  the   American   Association   for   Artificial
Intelligence,  will  be  held  March  6-9,  1988, at the Asilomar
Conference Center in Monterey, California.   While  traditionally
research  in  this  area  was  mainly  done  by  philosophers and
linguists, reasoning about knowledge has been shown  recently  to
be of great relevance to computer science and economics.  The aim
of the conference is to bring  together  researchers  from  these
various disciplines with the intent of furthering our theoretical
understanding of reasoning about knowledge.

Some suggested, although not exclusive, topics of interest are:

Semantic models for knowledge and belief
Resource-bounded reasoning
Minimal knowledge proof systems
Analyzing distributed systems via knowledge
Knowledge acquisition and learning
Knowledge and commonsense reasoning
Knowledge, planning, and action
Knowledge in economic models

You are invited to submit ten copies of a detailed abstract  (not
a complete paper) to the program chair:

          Moshe Y. Vardi
          IBM Research
          Almaden Research Center K53-802
          650 Harry Rd.
          San Jose, CA  95120-6099, USA

          Telephone: (408) 927-1784
          Electronic address: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Submissions will be  evaluated  on  the  basis  of  significance,
originality,  and  overall  quality.   Each  abstract  should  1)
contain enough information to enable  the  program  committee  to
identify  the  main  contribution  of  the  work;  2) explain the
importance of the  work  -  its  novelty  and  its  practical  or
theoretical  implications;  and  3)  include comparisons with and
references to relevant literature.  Abstracts should be no longer
than ten double-spaced pages.

        Program Committee:

        J. Barwise (Stanford University)
        P. van Emde Boas (University of Amsterdam)
        H. Kamp (University of Texas at Austin)
        K. Konolige (SRI International)
        Y. Moses (Weizmann Institute of Science)
        S. Rosenschein (SRI International)
        T. Tan (University of Chicago)
        M. Vardi (IBM Almaden Research Center)

The deadline for submission of  abstracts  is  August  31,  1987.
Authors  will  be  notified  of  acceptance  by  November 1, 1987
(authors who supply  an  electronic  address  might  be  notified
earlier).   The accepted papers will be due by December 15, 1987.
Proceedings will be distributed at the conference,  and  will  be
subsequently available for purchase through the publisher.

We hope to allow  enough  time  between  the  talks  for  private
discussions  and  small  group meetings.  In order to ensure that
the conference  remains  relatively  small,  attendance  will  be
limited  to  invited participants and authors of accepted papers.
Support for the conference has been received from  IBM  and  AAAI
for  partial  subsidy of participants' expenses; applications for
further support are pending.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************