Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 86 00:37:08 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a001508; 11 Mar 86 18:46 EST
Date: Tue 11 Mar 1986 15:10-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #50
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Wed, 12 Mar 86 00:27 EST

AIList Digest           Wednesday, 12 Mar 1986     Volume 4 : Issue 50

Today's Topics:
  Queries - AI Military Successes & GNU Scheme,
  Linguistics - Ambiguous Sentences & Dictionary Access,
  Journal - International Journal for AI in Engineering & Prices,
  Methodoloy - Turing Test & Zen

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 86 13:47:15 EST
From: "Dr. Ron Green" (ARO) <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI Military Successes

I would like to recieve detailed information on any systems that
have been developed for the military using AI.  These should not be
toy systems and they must be able to be shown to be successful.

I would prefer programs conducted for the Army but I would be interested
in discussing any service programs.

Thanks
Ron

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 86 08:52:43 -0100
From: [email-masked]
      (Thomas Gordon)
Subject: GNU Scheme

        I'm interested in Scheme for Unix.  Can you tell me how to order
GNU?  Thanks for your help.

        Tom Gordon
        thomas@gmdzi

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 86 10:01:18 pst
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: ambiguous sentences

        I'm not sure that this is precisely what you are looking for,
but I remember a sentence whose meaning changes slightly when different
words are stressed:

I never said he stole that money.
I NEVER said he stole that money.
I never SAID he stole that money.
I never said HE stole that money.
I never said he STOLE that money.
I never said he stole THAT money.
I never said he stole that MONEY.

--Doug Ice.

------------------------------

Date: 06 Mar 86 18:43:18 UT (Thu)
From: "A. N. Walker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ambiguous sentences

        English is supposed to be right associative, so "pretty little
girls school" is (relatively) unambiguously a pretty schoolette for
girls.  Similarly, "second hand book shop" should probably be as opposed
to a third automatic drug store.  The other possible associations should
be obtained by hyphenation or concatenation, as "second handbook shop",
"second-hand book shop" or [the usual meaning] "secondhand-book shop".
Sadly, English has no good way of writing a third-level bracket, so
more complicated examples can be very hard to write down.

        Andy Walker,
        Maths Dept, Nottingham Univ., UK.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 86 11:34 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Ambiguous Sentences

One of my favorites, which I seem to remember first
reading in the instructions for solving the Atlantic
magazine puzzle is:  "I fancy you have one." which
has more meanings when spoken than when written.

Art Medlar  <art@think>
Thinking Machines Corporation

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 86 12:59:00 est
From: [email-masked] (Robert Amsler at mouton.ARPA)
Subject: Dictionary access

The latest information I have re: Wang's Lexical resources is
that they want a $10,000 one time fee plus $1,000/year per
resource. For that kind of money I thought there should be
some sort of update/maintenance, but apparently they are selling
them as is with no support and little documentation.

Houghton-Mifflin apparently also sells access to machine-readable
dictionaries and they appear to offer professional support for
updating them tied to their routine dictionary production.

If applications are academic non-profit use, the recommended
source would be the Oxford Archive in England. They distribute
several sources at the cost of making the tape copies.

Generally, the commercial sources offering dictionaries for free
have dried up. It is a business now. One might be able to strike
a deal with some publisher, but ``free'' access is becoming
increasingly rare if the intended use is commercial development.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 5 Mar 86 18:42:28-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Journal prices hit the moon!

In today's mail I received the announcement of a new journal called
International Journal for AI in engineering.  Nice flashy brochure
and an international editorial board.  I like the idea of a journal
appealing to several engineering disciplines and talking about practical
results in AI applications.

It will be published 4 times a year and the subscription is $130.

Will those taking part in new publishing ventures do something to keep
prices down?

Most of the work that goes into publishing a journal is done by the
researchers who produce the results and spend the effort in writing
a paper.  The editorial board donates their time.  The reviewers also
contribute their time.  Why should all these folks make these contributions
so that the publishers can cream the market?  It is time to take a stand.
The publishing industry is here to serve us; not to skin us.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 86 20:17:28 pst
From: [email-masked] (Eugene miya)
Subject: Re: The Turing Test - A Third Quantisation?

Turing in fact did propose that in his paper: that a machine could
try a discrimination of two players.

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Res. Ctr.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 86 11:00:34 est
From: [email-masked]
      (Zigurd R. Mednieks)
Subject: Re: Alan Watts on AI

The excerpt from Alan Watts is instructive. Like many who do not have
the patience to look into their own examples, he claims the source of
his hair is unfathomable and so the source of our thoughts is equally
out of our reach. He should speak only for himself. I know, to a
certain extent, how my hair grows.

Even worse, Watts clouds the issue. There is a valid point in that
even though I know how it is that I have hair, I can't alter the way
it grows. Similarly, even if I knew in great detail the causes of my
thoughts and ideas, I might not be able to alter their course.

Perhaps Zen just isn't relevent to AI.

-Zigurd

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 86 21:33:53 -0100
From: [email-masked]
      (Pierre Louis Neumann)
Subject: Re: Alan Watts on AI

forgive my english!
there is an intellectual knowledge (more typically western) and a corporal
one . One must "find " his proper way and place (in between) in order to
KNOW.
     This place is the "dawn" or the "twilight"

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************