Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 86 00:11:50 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a000400; 4 Mar 86 3:07 EST
Date: Mon  3 Mar 1986 23:50-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #42
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Tue, 4 Mar 86 23:57 EST

AIList Digest            Tuesday, 4 Mar 1986       Volume 4 : Issue 42

Today's Topics:
  Journal Issue - Computational Linguistics on the Lexicon,
  Seminars - Representation/Estimation of Spatial Uncertainty (SRI) &
    Propositional Temporal Logic for Programs (UCB) &
    Automatic Proof of Godel's Theorem (UTexas) &
    Belief Functions in Artificial Intelligence (GMR)
  Conference - Data Engineering

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 86 13:08:13 est
From: [email-masked] (Don Walker at mouton.ARPA)
Subject: Journal Issue - Computational Linguistics on the Lexicon

CALL FOR PAPERS: Special issue of Computational Linguistics on the Lexicon

Antonio Zampolli, Nicoletta Calzolari, and Don Walker have been appointed
guest editors for a special issue of Computational Linguistics on the
lexicon.  There is general agreement that the lexicon has been a
neglected area, and that current research is addressing problems of
importance for all aspects of natural language processing.  The issue is
intended to make the community at large aware of these developments.
All papers submitted will be reviewed in the usual manner.  The only
difference in procedure is that three (instead of five) copies should
be sent to James Allen (CL Editor), Department of Computer Science,
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627, USA [[email-masked]];
one copy should be sent to Antonio Zampolli (CL Lexicon), Laboratorio
di Linguistica Computazionale CNR, Via della Faggiola 32, I-56100 Pisa,
ITALY [[email-masked]]; and one copy to Don Walker
(CL Lexicon), Bell Communications Research, 445 South Street, MRE
2A379, Morristown, NJ 07960, USA [[email-masked]; walker%mouton
@csnet-relay; ucbvax!bellcore!walker].  Manuscripts should be received
by 31 August.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 27 Feb 86 12:15:35-PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Representation/Estimation of Spatial Uncertainty (SRI)

         REPRESENTATION AND ESTIMATION OF SPATIAL UNCERTAINTY

                    Randy Smith (SMITH@SRI-AI)
                  Robotics Lab, SRI International

                    11:00 AM, MONDAY, March 3
       SRI International, Building E, Room EJ228 (new conference room)

Current work on a method for geometrical reasoning under uncertainty
will be presented.  Such a reasoning component will be important to
planning systems for many robotic applications, including autonomous
navigation and industrial automation.

A general method will be described for estimating the values and
estimated errors in the relationship between objects whose locations
are represented by coordinate frames.  The elements in the
relationship may be described by bounding intervals, or may be
described by means and covariances, if a statistical model is
available.  The relationship between the frames (objects) may not be
explicitly given, but known only indirectly through a series of
spatial relationships, each with its associated error.  This
estimation method can be used to answer such questions as whether a
camera attached to a robot is likely to have a particular object in
its field of view.  More generally, this method makes it possible to
decide in advance if an uncertain relationship is known accurately
enough for some task to be accomplished, and if not, how much of an
improvement in locational knowledge a proposed sensing action will
provide.  The calculated estimates agree very well with those from an
independent Monte Carlo simulation.  The method presented can be
generalized to six degrees of freedom, and provides a practical means
of estimating the relationships (position and orientation) between
objects as well as the uncertainty associated with the relationship.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 86 13:22:12 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Propositional Temporal Logic for Programs (UCB)

                 IBM Almaden Research Center
                        650 Harry Road
                   San Jose, CA 95120-6099

                         CALENDAR
               March 3, 1986 - March 7, 1986

Computer          EXPRESSING INTERESTING PROPERTIES OF PROGRAMS
Science           IN PROPOSITIONAL TEMPORAL LOGIC
Seminar           P. Wolper, AT&T Bell Labs and Stanford University

Tues., Mar. 4     We show that the class of properties of programs
10:30 A.M.        expressible in propositional temporal logic
B1-413            can be substantially extended if we assume
                  the programs to be data-independent.
                  Basically, a program is data-independent if its
                  behavior does not depend on the specific data it
                  operates upon.  Our results significantly extend
                  the applicability of program verification and
                  synthesis methods based on propositional
                  temporal logic.

                  Host: M. Vardi

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 86 10:53:21 CST
From: Rose M. Herring <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Automatic Proof of Godel's Theorem (UTexas)

                      University of Texas
                  Computer Sciences Department

                           COLLOQUIUM

SPEAKER:                N. Shankar
                                University of Texas at Austin

TITLE:          Checking  the  Proof  of  Godel's  Incompleteness
                  Theorem with the Boyer-Moore Theorem Prover

DATE:           Thursday, March 6, 1986
PLACE:          WEL 3.502
TIME:           4:00-5:30 p.m.

        There is a widespread belief that computer proof-checking
of  significant mathematics is infeasible.  We argue against this
by presenting a machine-checked proof of  Godel's  incompleteness
theorem, one of the greatest landmarks of mathematics.  The proof
of this theorem was checked in  a  constructive  logic  with  the
Boyer-Moore theorem prover.  The proof demonstrates the essential
incompleteness of Cohen's axioms for  hereditarily  finite  sets.
This  was done by first formalizing a proof-checker for this log-
ic, extending it with derived inference rules, demonstrating  the
representability  of  a Lisp Eval function by a predicate in this
logic, and then constructing an undecidable sentence.  The state-
ment of the incompleteness theorem as proved, asserts that if the
undecidable sentence is either provable or disprovable,  then  it
is  both provable and disprovable.  This shows that the above ax-
iom system is either incomplete or inconsistent.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 86 17:31 EST
From: Steve Holland <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Belief Functions in Artificial Intelligence (GMR)

Seminar at General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, Michigan:

                 Belief Functions in Artificial Intelligence
                             Prof. Glenn Shafer
                            University of Kansas
                           Lawrence, Kansas  66045

                           Thursday, March 6, 1986

                                  ABSTRACT
     The theory of belief functions, or the Dempster-Shafer theory, has
     attracted wide interest as a tool for the management of uncertainty in
     artificial intelligence.

     What are the advantages and disadvantages of belief functions when they are
     compared with numerical alternatives such as Bayesian probability and fuzzy
     logic or with non-numerical alternatives such as default logic and the
     calculus of endorsements?  What are the current prospects for sensible use
     of belief functions in expert systems?

     In this talk, I will offer some general judgments on these questions.  I
     will emphasize the need for interactive tools for the construction of
     probability arguments, and I will speculate on long-term possibilities for
     probability judgment using man-made associateve memories.

-Steve Holland, Computer Science Department

------------------------------

Date: Thu 27 Feb 86 18:37:23-PST
From: Gio Wiederhold <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - Data Engineering

DATA ENGINEERING CALL-FOR-PAPERS

The Third International Conference on Data Engineering
        Pacifica Hotel, Culver City (Los Angeles), California, USA
        February 3-5, 1987 (Tutorials 2,6 February)
        Sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society

SCOPE

Data Engineering is concerned with the role of data and knowledge
about data in the design, development, management, and utilization of
information systems.  As such, it encompasses traditional aspects of
databases, knowledge bases, and data management in general.  The
purpose of the third conference is to continue to provide a forum for
the sharing of experience, practice, and theory of automated data and
knowledge management from an engineering point-of-view.  The
effectiveness and productivity of future information systems will
depend critically on improvements in their design, organization, and
management.

We are actively soliciting industrial contributions.  We believe
that it is critically important to share practical experience.  We
look forward to reports of experiments, evaluation, and problems
in achieving the objectives of information systems.  Papers which
are identified as such will be processed, scheduled, and published
in a distinct track.

                       TOPICS OF INTEREST

  o Logical and physical database design    o Design of knowledge-based systems
  o Data management methodologies           o Architectures for data- and
  o Distribution of data and information        knowledge-based systems
  o Performance Evaluation                  o Data engineering tools
  o Expert systems applied to data          o Applications
  o Data Security

The days preceeding and following the conference will be exclusively
devoted to tutorials.
Additional mini-tutorials will be presented during the last evening
of the conference. A special DBMS vendor day will include short
DBMS-specific tutorials to acquaint attendees with current commercially
available products.  Those interested in presenting tutorials should
contact the Tutorial Chairman by May 15, 1986.

AWARDS, STUDENT PAPERS, AND SUBSEQUENT PUBLICATION:

An award will be given for the best paper at the conference.  The best
student paper will receive the K.S. Fu award, honoring one of the
early supporters of the conference.  Up to three awards of $500 each
to help defray travel costs will be given for outstanding papers
authored solely by students.  All outstanding papers will be
considered for publication in the IEEE Computer Society Computer
Magazine, the IEEE Expert Magazine, the IEEE Software, and the IEEE
Transactions on Software Engineering.  For more information, contact
the General Chairman.

PAPER SUBMISSION:                   CONFERENCE TIMETABLE:

Four copies of papers should be     Tutorial proposals due:  May 15, 1986
mailed before June 16th 1986 to:    Manuscripts due:         June 15, 1986
                                    Acceptance letters sent: September 15, 1986
Third Data Engineering Conference   Camera-ready copy due:   November 11, 1986
IEEE Computer Society               Tutorials:               February 2,6, 1987
1730 Massachusetts Ave. NW          Conference:              February 3-5, 1987
Washington DC, 20036-1903
  (202) 371-0101

Committee

Steering Committee Chairman:
C. V. Ramamoorthy
University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720

Honorary Chairman:
P. Bruce Berra
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13210

General Chairman:
Gio Wiederhold
Dept. of Computer Science
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305
(415) 723-0685
[email-masked]

Program Chairman:
Benjamin W. Wah
Coordinated Science Laboratory
University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 333-5216
[email-masked]

Program Co-Chairpersons:
John Carlis, Univ.of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Iris Kameny, SDC, Santa Monica, CA 90406
Peter Ng, Univ.of Missouri-Columbus, Columbia, MO 65211
Winston Royce, Lockheed STC, Austin, TX 78744
Joseph Urban, Univ.of SW Louisiana, Lafayette, LA 70504

International Coordination:
Tadeo Ichikawa, Hiroshima University, Higashi-Hiroshima 724, Japan
G. Schlageter, Fern Universitat, D 5800 Hagen, FR. Germany

Tutorials:
James A. Larson, Honeywell Computer Sciences Center
1000 Boone Avenue North, Golden Valley, MN 55427
(612) 541-6836
[email-masked]

Awards:
K.H. Kim, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33620

Treasurer:
Aldo Castillo, TRW, Redondo Beach, CA 90278

Local Arrangements:
Walter Bond, Cal State University, Dominquez Hills, CA 90747
(213) 516-3580/3398

Mary C.~Graham, Hughes, P.O.Box 902, El Segundo, CA 90245
(213) 619-2499

Publicity:
Dick Shuey, 2338 Rosendale Rd., Schenectady, NY 12309
[email-masked]

Tentative Program Committee Members

Jacob Abraham          Witold Litwin
Adarsh K. Arora        Jane W.S. Liu
J.L. Baer              Ming T. (Mike) Liu
Faroh B. Bastani       Raymond Liuzzi
Don Batory             Vincent Lum
Bharat Bhargava        Yuen-Wah Eva Ma
Joseph Boykin          Mamoru Maekawa
Richard Braegger       Gordon McCalla
Alfonso Cardenas       Toshimi Minoura
Nick Cercone           N.M. Morfuni
Peter P. Chen          Jack Mostow
Bernie Chern           Jaime Murow
Roger Cheung           Sham Navathe
David Choy             Philip M. Neches
Wesley W. Chu          Erich Neuhold
J. DeJong              G.M. Nijssen
David J. DeWitt        Ole Oren
Ramez ElMasri          G. Ozsoyoglu
Robert Epstein         Z.Meral Ozsoyoglu
Michael Evangelist     C. Parent
Domenico Ferrari       J.F. Paris
Hector Garcia-Molina   D.S. Parker
Georges Gardarin       Peter Rathmann
Sakti P. Ghosh         Lakshmi Rebbapragada
Arnold Goldfein        David Reiner
Giorgio Gottlob        Gruia-Catalin Roman
Laura Haas             Domenico Sacca
Lee Hollaar            Giovanni Maria Sacco
Yang-Chang Hong        Sharon Salveter
David K. Hsiao         Edgar Sibley
H. Ishikawa            David Spooner
Sushil Jajodia         John F. Sowa
Jie-Yong Juang         Peter M. Stocker
Arthur M. Keller       Stanley Su
Larry Kerschberg       Denji Tajima
Won Kim                Marjorie Templeton
Roger King             A.M. Tjoa
Dan Kogan              Yosihisa Udagawa
Robert R. Korfhage     Susan Urban
Tosiyasu L. Kunii      P. Valduriez
Winfried Lamersdorf    R.P. VanDeRiet
Matt LaSaine           Yann Viemont
W.-H. Francis Leung    Neil Walker
Victor Li              Helen Wood
Ya-Nan Lien            S. Bing Yao

Epilog

The correct design and implementation of data systems requires attention
to principles from databases, knowledge bases, software engineering, and
system evaluation.   We hope you will participate.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************