Subject: AIList Digest V4 #63

From: vtcs1::in% ([email-masked])
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 86 12:46:38 est

AIList Digest           Wednesday, 26 Mar 1986     Volume 4 : Issue 63

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - Parallel OPS5 and Relational Algebraic Operators (UPenn) &
    Mental Representation of Bilinguals (BBN) &
    Cognitive Model of Ada-Based Development (SMU) &
    An Interactive Proof Editor (Edinburgh) &
    Graphical Access To Expert Systems (PARC) &
    Automatic Design of Graphical Presentations (SU),
  Conference - Expert Systems in Process Safety &
    Artificial Intelligence Impacts Forum

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 86 21:25 EST
From: Tim Finin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Parallel OPS5 and Relational Algebraic Operators (UPenn)

Forwarded From: Glenda Kent <Glenda@UPenn> on Wed 19 Mar 1986 at  9:52

          OPS5 PRODUCTION SYSTEMS AND RELATIONAL ALGEBRAIC OPERATORS
                        ON A MASSIVELY PARALLEL MACHINE

                               Bruce K. Hillyer
                              Columbia University

AI  production  systems  and  relational  database  management  systems exhibit
complementary characteristics that suggest the  possibility  of  a  synergistic
integration.    One difficulty is that both types of systems execute relatively
slowly.

This talk discusses algorithms, performance analyses,  and  simulation  results
for  the  execution  of  database  queries and production systems on a parallel
machine called  NON-VON.    The  results  indicate  that  relational  algebraic
operations   will   be   processed  as  fast  as  on  special-purpose  database
architectures, with speedup linear in the size of the machine, and typical OPS5
production systems will fire more than 850 rules per second.

                           Thursday, March 20, 1986
                            Room 216 - Moore School
                             3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

------------------------------

Date: 17 Mar 1986 07:55-EST
From: Brad Goodman <BGOODMAN at BBNG>
Subject: Seminar - Mental Representation of Bilinguals (BBN)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

               BBN Labs AI/Education Seminar

Speaker:  Prof. Molly Potter, MIT

Title:    The Mental Representation of Bilinguals

Date:     Friday, March 21st, 2:00pm
Place:    2nd floor large conference room,
          BBN Labs, 10 Moulton Street, Cambridge

   Are the two lexicons of a bilingual directly interconnected, or
   connected via only a common, nonlexical concept?  Two experiments
   on that question will be discussed, one with novice bilinguals
   and one with expert bilinguals (Potter, So, von Eckardt and
   Feldman, 1984).  Related issues concerning mental representation
   in bilinguals will be raised for general discussion.

------------------------------

Date: WED, 10 JAN 84 17:02:23 CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Cognitive Model of Ada-Based Development (SMU)

Computer Science and Engineering Seminar
Toward A Cognitive Model of Ada Based Embedded System Development
Jerry Snodgrass, Southern Methodist University
(Seminar already held, announcement for record only)

Embedded systems, such as aircraft avionic and hospital intensive car
eunit systems, have been developed for several years.  But, the early
steps of the development process have not been researched.  The
related research in software engineering has focused on the artifact
and almost entirely ignored the design p rocess used to develop the
artifact.  In contrast, the artificial intelligence reeserch
(particularly automatic programming, knowledge-based assistant and
cognition research) has forced a more detailed investigation of the
design processes used in programming.  In this seminar emprical
research results are presented along with conceptual results requiring
further research.  The empirical results show that the human problem
solving control in the early steps of embedded system development is
essentially the same as the recent cognitive research results in
algorithm and software design.  The planned research, for which most
of the conceptual work has been accomplished, involves
1) integrating the Ada language, object-oriented paradigm, and
empirical results into a Uniform Modularity model; and 2) developing a
frame-based software tool to guide and record the process of
determining the structure of the embedded system being developed.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 86 10:34:10 GMT
From: Gideon Sahar <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - An Interactive Proof Editor (Edinburgh)

EDINBURGH AI SEMINARS

Date:   Wednesday 19th March l986
Time:   2.00 p.m.
Place:  Department of Artificial Intelligence
        Seminar Room
        Forrest Hill
        EDINBURGH.

Professor R. Burstall, Department of Computer Science, University of
Edinburgh will give a seminar entitled - "An Interactive Proof Editor".

This proof editor works like a structure editor for programmes but
enables one to create proofs in first order intuitionist logic.   It
uses attribute grammar techniques with local re-evaluation of
attributes.   The idea is due to Tom Reps at Cornell, and the work was
done jointly with Brian Ritchie and Tatsuya Hagino.

------------------------------

Date: 21 Mar 86 15:08 PST
From: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Graphical Access To Expert Systems (PARC)

                        PARC Forum

                Thursday, March 27
                4PM, PARC Auditorium

Ted Shortlife and Larry Fagan
Medical Computer Science Group
Knowledge Systems Laboratory
Stanford Medical School

GRAPHICAL ACCESS TO EXPERT SYSTEMS:  EXAMPLES FROM THE ONCOCIN SYSTEM

The research goals of Stanford's Medical Computer Science group are
directed both toward the basic science of artificial intelligence and
toward the development of clinically useful consultation tools.  Our
approach has been eclectic, drawing on fields such as decision analysis,
interactive graphics, and both qualitative and probabilistic simulation
as well as AI.  In this presentation we will discuss ONCOCIN, an advice
system designed to suggest optimal therapy for patients undergoing
cancer treatment, as well as to assist in the data management tasks
required to support research treatment plans (protocols).  A prototype
version, developed in Interlisp and SAIL  on a DEC-20, was used between
May 1981 and May 1985 by oncology faculty and fellows in the Debbie
Probst Oncology Day Care Center at the Stanford University Medical
Center.  In recent years, however, we have spent much of our time
redesigning ONCOCIN to run on Xerox 1100 series workstations and to take
advantage of the graphics environment provided on those machines.  The
physician's interface has been redesigned to approximate the appearance
and functionality of the paper forms traditionally used for recording
patient status.  We have also made changes to correct problems with the
prototype system noted during its clinical use during the early 1980's.
This has involved adopting an object-center knowledge base design which
has provided an increase in the speed of the program while providing
more flexible access to the large amount of knowledge required by the
system.  The workstation version of ONCOCIN has recently been introduced
in the Stanford clinic, and we will demonstrate its operation during the
presentation.  We will also describe and demonstrate OPAL, the knowledge
acquisition environment we have developed for ONCOCIN so that expert
oncologists can directly enter their knowledge of protocol-directed
cancer therapy using graphics-based forms developed in the Interlisp-D
environment.

This Forum is OPEN. All are invited.

Host: Austin Henderson  (Intelligent Systems Lab, 494-4308)

Refreshments will be served at 3:45 pm

Requests for videotaping should be sent to Susie Mulhern
<Mulhern:PA:Xerox or Mulhern.pa> before Tuesday noon.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 19 Mar 86 09:46:55-PST
From: Jock Mackinlay <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Automatic Design of Graphical Presentations (SU)

             Automatic Design of Graphical Presentations

                            PhD Oral Exam
                          Jock D. Mackinlay
                     Computer Science Department
                        Monday, March 31, 10am
                             History 205

The goal of the research described in this talk is to develop an
application-independent presentation tool that automatically designs
graphical presentations (e.g. bar charts, scatter plots, and connected
graphs) for relational information.  There are two major criteria for
evaluating designs of graphical presentations: expressiveness and
effectiveness.  Expressiveness means that a design expresses the
intended information.  Effectiveness means that a design exploits the
capabilities of the output medium and the human visual system.  A
presentation tool is intended to be used to build user interfaces.
However, a presentation tool will not be useful unless it generates
expressive and effective designs for a wide range of information.

This talk describes a theory of graphical presentations that can be used
to systematically generate a wide range of designs.  Complex designs are
described as compositions of primitive designs.  This theory leads to
the following synthesis algorithm:
    o First, the information is divided into components, each
      of which satisfies the expressiveness criterion for a
      primitive graphical design.
    o Next, a conjectural theory of human perception is used
      to select the most effective primitive design for each
      component.  An effective design requires perceptual
      tasks of low difficulty.
    o Finally, composition operators are used to compose the
      individual designs into a unified presentation of all
      the information.  A composition operator composes two
      designs when the same information is expressed the same
      way in both designs (identical parts are merged).

The synthesis algorithm has been implemented in a prototype presentation
tool, called APT (A Presentation Tool).  Even though only a few primitive
designs are implemented, APT can generate a wide range of designs that
express information effectively.

------------------------------

Date: 21 Mar 86 16:57:50 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Expert Systems in Process Safety

                       "CALL FOR PAPERS"

            EXPERT SYSTEMS AND COMPUTATIONAL METHODS
                      IN PROCESS SAFETY

      American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) Meeting

            Houston, Texas, March 29 - April 2, 1987

 Sponsored by the divisions on Computing and Systems Technology (10a)
                    and Safety and Health

Session Chair:                          Session Co-Chair:

Prof. V. Venkatasubramanian             Prof. E. J. Henley
Intelligent Process Engineering Lab     Dept. of Chemical Engineering
Dept. of Chemical Engineering           University of Houston
Columbia University                     University Park
New York, NY  10027                     Houston, TX  77004
Tel: (212) 280-4453                     Tel: (713) 749-4407

Papers are solicited in the areas of Expert Systems and Computational
Methods in Process Safety for the Houston AIChE Meeting.  Topics of
interest include Process Plant Diagnosis, Process Safety and
Reliability, Process Risk Analysis etc.  Please submit TWO copies of the
abstract by "MAY 15, 1986" to both the session chairman and co-
chairman at the addresses given above.

Final manuscripts of the accepted papers are due by October 15, 1986.

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 86 16:02:23 GMT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Artificial Intelligence Impacts Forum

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IMPACTS FORUM

            PRESENTED

                BY

  AMERICAN COMPUTER TECHNOLOGIES, INC.

          May 13, 1986

          St. Davids Inn
      St. Davids, Pennsylvania

    American Computer Technologies, Inc.
      237 Lancaster Avenue, Suite 255
          Devon, PA 19333

WORKSHOP OBJECTIVES:

describe the business opportunities of Artificial Intelligence technologies

examine the strengths and limitations of these technologies

identify current AI products and services on the market and their potential
applications

analyze companies at the fore-front of the AI market and those expected to
enter soon

analyze current and emerging international markets for AI technology

clarify the business growth opportunities and threats associated with AI
technology

provide an understanding of the potential impact Artificial Intelligence
will have on business

identify promising new frontiers in AI research with applications to the
commercial and military sectors

analyze software and hardware needs for emerging AI markets and assess the
impacts on U.S. business

WORKSHOP SCHEDULE:

Tuesday Morning, 8:00 - 9:45 AM

I. Introduction

Opening Remarks
Creating Computers that Think
Emerging International AI Markets

II. Assessment of AI Opportunities

Expert Systems
Movement in Space
Vision
Natural Language Comprehension
Learning

Tuesday Morning, 10:15 - 12:00 AM

III. Analyses of AI Products and Services

Current/Future Software Packages
Stand-Alone AI Hardware
AI in Personal Computers
Embedded AI Systems
Knowledge Expert Services

IV. Assessment of Competitive Issues

Strategic Computing/Defense Initiatives
New Japanese MITI-ICOT Perspectives
Western European Consortia
Emerging Eastern Bloc Cooperation
Established AI Firms
Emerging AI Ventures
Joint Ventures and R&D Partnerships
Mergers and Acquisitions

Tuesday Lunch, 12:00 - 1:30 PM

IV. Strategic Risks and Constraints

Financial Risks
Social/Legal Risks
Technological Constraints
Market Constraints

Tuesday Afternoon, 2:00 - 3:30 PM

VI. Analyses of End-User Applications

Direct Military Applications
Software Engineering Applications
Non-Military Government Applications
Commercial Applications

Tuesday Afternoon, 3:45 - 5:00 PM

VII. Analyses of Global Trends

Fifth-Generation Machine Architectures
Emerging Fourth-Generation Languages
Other Major Technological Thrusts
Near-Real Time Systems
Economic impact of International AI Markets
Growth of AI products and services

WORKSHOP LEADERS

T. S. Hermann, Ph.D.,  President of American Computer Technologies,
Inc., has served as the Manager, Plans and Programs at Burroughs' Paoli
Research Center; Director of R&D at Analytics, Inc.; Sr. VP Technology of Sun
Company; President of Franklin Research Center; and President of Mellon
Institute, Carnegie-Mellon University.

Ronald L. Krutz, Ph.D., Director, Computer Engineering Center, Carnegie
Mellon University.

Lewis J. Petrovic, Ph.D., President, Resource Engineering, Inc.

B.K. Wesley Copeland, MBA, President, International Science &
Technology

G. Richard Patton, Ph.D., Ex.VP, Resource Assessment, Inc., and Faculty
Member, Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh

WHO SHOULD ATTEND?

The ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IMPACTS forum has been established primarily
to address the needs of business persons who are interested in or are
responsible for planning, marketing and manufacturing.

WHAT ARE THE MAJOR ISSUES?

This workshop will assess major AI product opportunities, explore fundamental
trends and market concepts of Artificial Intelligence and will go beyond
conventional strategic assertions within an International business context.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?

THE WORKSHOP will answer the hard business questions of Artificial
Intelligence.  Participants will learn of the emerging AI business growth
opportunities; become aware of the key players and their product strategies;
analyze the growing international markets and potential competitors; acquire
forecasts of important technological impacts and thrusts; and will scutinize
the constraints and risks of the AI products.

For Information call Carol Ward, A.C.T., Inc. (215) 687-4015.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************