Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 86 22:36:11 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a016807; 27 Feb 86 6:20 EST
Date: Wed 26 Feb 1986 22:08-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #37
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 28 Feb 86 22:19 EST

AIList Digest           Thursday, 27 Feb 1986      Volume 4 : Issue 37

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Reviewers for Expert Systems in Government &
    Civil Engineering CAD/CAE/Expert Systems &
    Theorem Provers & Knowledge Representation Translation &
    Rete Algorithm & Lisp for the PRIME & Dec AI VaxStation &
    ICAI & Visual Programming Languages & Associative Memory &
    Prolog Books

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 86 10:26:56 -0500
From: Duke Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Reviewers for ESIG papers

Volunteers are needed to act as reviewers for the Second Expert Systems
in Government Conference, which will be held from Oct. 20-24, 1986.
The topics of the conference are knowledge based applications and
supporting technologies.  A full description of the conference was given
in the Vol. 3 Issue 186 AIList, on December 15.  If you wish to be a
reviewer, please identify your interests and send your name, address, and
phone number to karna@mitre or use US mail to

Dr. Kamal N. Karna
AI Center
The Mitre Corporation
1820 Dolley Madison Blvd.
McLean, VA  22102

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 86 07:59:56 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: civil engineering exert systems

I am preparing a report for the ASCE and US Army Corp on the use of expert
system techniques in civil engineering. I would appreciate a response from
anyone active in this area; all those who respond will be put on a mailing
list to receive the completed report. Some specific civil engineering
domains are: structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, construction
engineering, transportation engineering, and environmental engineering.

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 86 17:28:45 GMT
From: ulysses!mhuxr!mhuxt!houxm!whuxl!whuxlm!akgua!gatech!gitpyr!allen
      @ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Subject: Looking for publication

I am trying to locate a source for a publication referenced as
"Knowledge Engineering in Computer-Aided Design", IFIP, Sep-1984
I would also be interested in any work going on in the area of expert
systems in the field of Civil Engineering Computer Aided Engineering.
In particular, I would be interested in learing more about work
going on at Carnegi-Mellon on KADBASE. (H.C. Howard, D.R. Rehak, are
you out there ?)
--
        "It's quite easy, if you don't know how.
         That's the important bit.  Be not at all
         sure how you're doing it."
                                      -Arthur Dent
P. Allen Jensen
Manager, Systems Division
GTICES Systems Laboratory
Department of Civil Engineering
Georgia Insitute of Technology
Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0355
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!allen

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 86 18:59:40 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Mark Mendel)
Subject: WANTED: Theorem Provers

I would like to get my hands on a PD or otherwise free theorem prover.
Anything from resolution to Boyer-Moore would be OK.  Lisp preferable, though
C would be OK.
Please respond via mail.
Also, I think that such a thing really should be in the mod.sources archive.
So if you offer me something you've written, please indicate whether it's OK if
I submit it.
Thanks in advance,
        Mark G. Mendel
        {ihnp4,umn-cs}!hyper!mark

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 86 10:08 EST
From: Kurt Godden <[email-masked]>
Subject: Knowledge Representation and Translation

Could anyone send to me or post to the net references on conversion of
knowledge from one representational structure to another?  For example,
translating between frames and semantic nets would be of interest.  If not
directly related to explicit translation, articles discussing >formal<
(non-)equivalence between/among various representations of knowledge is
also of interest.  If there are no postings directly to the net, I will
summarize and post anything of general interest I may receive.

-Kurt Godden
godden.gmr@csnet-relay (or, if that doesn't work: godden%gmr@csnet-relay)

------------------------------

Date: Wed 26 Feb 86 17:02:38-PST
From: Matt Heffron <[email-masked]>
Subject: Query -- Rete Algorithm

Would someone please send me the reference(s) describing the Rete algorithm.
Also, any words of wisdom from people who have tried/succeeded in
implementing the algorithm would be appreciated.  Reply to me directly at:
        [email-masked]
or,
        Matt Heffron
        Beckman Instruments, Inc.
        2500 Harbor Blvd. MS X-11
        Fullerton, CA 92634
Thanks,
Matt Heffron

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 86 12:18:07 CST
From: Glenn Veach <[email-masked]>
Subject: Lisp for the PRIME?

I would like to make the following inquiry for a friend.

Does anyone know of any versions of LISP which will run
on the Prime 9750?  They are particularly interested in
getting a version of Common Lisp if this is possible.
Also, is there any expert systems such as OPS5 which will
run on the same machine?

Post your answers on the List or send them to me.
Thanks a lot.

glenn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 86 15:18:08 est
From: [email-masked] (Rishiyur S. Nikhil)
Subject: Opinion on Dec AI VaxStation?

A friend of mine from India (Prof. Rajeev Sangal, Indian Institute of
Technology, Kanpur) is looking into buying Lisp machines for AI research.
Because of lack of maintenance, support etc. in India, he must rule out
Symbolics, LMI, TI, Xerox, etc.  The one exception seems to be an AI
VaxStation from DEC (DEC is represented in India).

So, he would like to obtain opinions about the DEC AI VaxStation from anyone
who has used it.  If you are/have been a user,  I would appreciate it if you
could send me your appraisal.  Reply to (ARPAnet):

                [email-masked]

and I will pass it on to him. If there is interest, I can also summarize my
findings to this list.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rishiyur Nikhil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 86 22:23:38 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: ICAI

        As part of the newly formed Intelligent Engineering Systems
Laboratory at MIT, I am working on (hopefully) intelligent tutoring
systems for engineering applications.  I was curious what sorts of
tutoring strategies and knowledge representation schemes other researchers
in the ICAI area are using.  If anyone would be so kind as to send a
description of what they've found works/doesn't work for the applications
they are working on, or even a sample system for me to play with, with
comentary, I would be eternally grateful.
        Also, is anyone interested in forming a mail group to discuss
ICAI issues (and not bore everyone else)?

                        -Steve Bradley

  [The mail group already exists in the form of AI-Ed@SUMEX-AIM.
  I have forwarded this message to them.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 26 Feb 86 10:48:09-PST
From: Marvin Zauderer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Visual Programming Languages and AI

   I'm starting some work on a visual programming language (VPL); in
particular, since I'm disappointed with the current state of software
authoring systems for educators, I'm planning to build such a system that
will run in/on top of an existing VPL.
   I'm now in the process of doing some background research, and I've
assembled a fairly large number of references on the topics of
VPLs and authoring systems.
   As you might imagine, the search space for the former topic is rather
immense, since the study of VPLs involves the study of so many
disciplines (e.g. cognitive science, AI, human-computer interaction,
programming environments, interactive graphics, visual thinking, etc.). Of
course, this is also precisely why I'm so interested in VPLs and VPL
applications.

   I'd welcome any assistance in making the search space smaller: pointers
to references or to helpful people would be much appreciated. A nice side
effect of this search is the bibliography I'm creating; I will post it if
there is sufficient interest. Also, I'd be interested in starting a
discussion about VPLs and the connection between VPLs and AI.

   As a final point, I've questioned whether or not this message belongs
in AIList, and I've decided that it does. I've reasoned that, in
building such systems, one must think about about how people think,
which is precisely the kind of thing AI researchers do. This may be a
rather flimsy justification, but I figure the worst that can happen is
an avalanche of angry mail.

   Also: one would hope that the results of this thinking would go into the
kind of authoring system I'm describing. Since this seems relevant to the
topic of AI in Education, we've had some interesting discussions about
these issues recently on the AI-ED list. I still think there may be a
number of AIList readers interested in VPLs (and the associated issues) who
do not receive AI-ED.

   Please correct/criticize me if you think a discussion of these issues does
not belong on AIList -- I don't want to clutter up the netwaves.

Cheers,

Marvin Zauderer

E-Mail: [email-masked]
USMail: c/o IRIS-FAD
        Cypress Hall, Room E-7
        Stanford University
        Stanford, CA 94305
Telephone: (415) 497-4540
           (415) 725-3159

------------------------------

Date: 24 Feb 86 22:59:07 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Chet Dobro)
Subject: Associative Memory

I have a question/observation/assumption that may be totally invalid, and
I fully expect to get jumped all over about, but here it is:
One of the biggest problems AI'ers seem to be having with their machines is
one of data access. Now, a human [or other sentient life-form :-)] has a
large pool of experience (commonly refered to as a swamp) that he/she/it has
access to.
It is linked together in many obscure ways (as shown by word-association
games) so that for any given thought (or problem) there are a vast number
(ususally) of (not-necessarily) connected replies.
Thinking of that swamp as a form of data-base, does the problem then boil
down to one of finding a path-key that would let you access all of the
cross-referances quickly?
Thoughts, please?  (Hopefully constructive...)
                                                Gryphon

------------------------------

Date: 26 Feb 86 14:21:00 EST
From: "INFO1::ELDER" <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: "INFO1::ELDER" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Prolog Books

Thanks.

P.S.  If you reply to me, please drop off the '.DECNET' that may appear
in the header of my message.  Our mailer has been acting funny lately.
My address is ELDER@WPAFB-INFO1 and not [email-masked].

Greg Elder

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************