Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 86 17:02:15 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a002464; 12 Jan 86 1:55 EST
Date: Sat 11 Jan 1986 22:36-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #5
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sun, 12 Jan 86 04:45 EST

AIList Digest            Sunday, 12 Jan 1986        Volume 4 : Issue 5

Today's Topics:
  Conferences - Intelligent Systems Symposium &
    Workshop on AI for Generic Avionics &
    Uncertainty and AI Workshop &
    User-System Interfaces Workshop &
    IFIP Conference on Knowledge and Data &
    2nd Expert Systems in Government, Re-Revised Version

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 6 January 1986 1412-EST
From: Peter [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Intelligent Systems Symposium

        An International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent
Systems (ISMIS'86) will be held October 23-25, 1986 in Knoxville,
Tennessee.  Papers are solicited in the following areas:
(1) Expert Systems
(2) Knowledge Representation
(3) Learning and Adaptive Systems
(4) Intelligent Databases
(5) Approximate Reasoning
(6) Logics for Artificial Intelligence
        Papers will be due on March 1, 1986, and papers which are
accepted will be published in the proceedings of the symposium.  A
copy of the Call for Papers is posted on my office door (WEH 7216),
and you can get a personal copy by sending a message to Zbigniew Ras
([email-masked]).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 86 17:52:17 est
From: Scott C McKay <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - Workshop on AI for Generic Avionics

                       AVIONICS LABORATORY WORKSHOP
                                    ON
               ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE FOR GENERIC AVIONICS

                     Georgia Tech Research Institute
                             Atlanta, Georgia
                             March 26-28, 1986

     The Avionics Laboratory, located within the Air Force Wright
     Aeronautical Laboratories at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, is
     the primary organization responsible for planning and executing
     the Air Force basic research, exploratory and advanced
     development programs for aerospace avionics.  A current major
     focus of that program is to explore the applicability of
     artificial intelligence to many functional avionics domains.  The
     results have been very encouraging and we are convinced that AI
     will have significant future utility in aerospace vehicles.

     In order to plan for orderly, timely and expanded developments in
     AI, the Avionics Laboratory will be conducting a Workshop on
     Artificial Intelligence for Generic Avionics.  The overall
     objective is to identify the "key basic research issues" that
     constrain the future expanded applicability of artificial
     intelligence technology to avionics applications and to outline
     what research should be pursued to remove the constraints.  The
     workshop will be held at Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia
     Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia on March 26-28, 1986.
     The workshop is planned to be an intensive 3-day work session
     involving 35-40 (maximum) of the best researchers in the field.
     Attendance will be by invitation only.

     If you feel you could contribute significantly to the objectives
     of the workshop and are interested in attending, please contact
     either of the following by 20 Jan 86: Lawrence E. Porter (513)
     255-4415, AFWAL/GLXRA, Wright Patterson AFB, OH 45433-6543 or
     Michael Noviskey (513) 255-2713, same address.

     The mission of the Avionics Laboratory is broad and includes the
     primary areas of navigation, surveillance, reconnaissance,
     electromagnetic warfare, fire control, weapon delivery,
     communications, system architecture, information and signal
     processing and control, subsystem integration and supporting
     electronics, and software and electromagnetic device research and
     development.  This mission spans the spectrum from basic research
     to advanced development.  The emphasis of this workshop is being
     placed on the former.  I encourage you to plan to attend the
     workshop and participate in a stimulating AI basic research
     exchange with your peers.  I can assure you that the results will
     have a direct impact on future investment in AI basic research.

     Lawrence E. Porter
     Chairperson
     Artificial Intelligence Planning
     Avionics Laboratory

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 86 18:29:34 pst
From: gluck@SU-PSYCH (Mark Gluck)
Subject: Conference - Uncertainty and AI Workshop

                    CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Second Workshop on:   "Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence"

     Philadelphia, PA.  August 9-11, 1986  (preceeding AAAI conf.)

Sponsored by:  AAAI and RCA

    This workshop is a follow-up to the successful workshop in L.A.,
August 1985.  Its subject is reasoning under uncertainty and
representing uncertain information.  The emphasis this year is on real
applications, although papers on theory are also welcome.  The
workshop provides an opportunity for those interested in uncertainty
in AI to present their ideas and participate in the discussions.  Also
panel discussions will provide a lively cross-section of views.

Papers are invited on the following topics:

  *Applications--Descriptions of novel approaches; interesting results;
   important implementation difficulties; experimental comparison of
   alternatives etc.

  *Comparison and Evaluation of different uncertainty formalisms.

  *Induction (Theory discovery) under uncertainty.

  *Alternative uncertainty approaches.

  *Relationship between uncertainty and logic.

  *Uncertainty about uncertainty (Higher order approaches).

  *Other uncertainty in AI issues.

  Preference will be given to papers that have demonstrated their approach
in real applications.  Some papers may be accepted for publication but not
presentation (except at a poster session).

   Four copies of the paper (or an extended abstract) should be sent to the
arrangements chairman before 23rd. May 1986.  Acceptances will be sent by the
20th. June and final (camera ready) papers must be received by 11th. July.
Proceedings will be available at the workshop.

General Chair:            Program Chair:              Arrangements Chair:

John Lemmer               Peter Cheeseman             Lawrence Carnuccio
KSC Inc.                  NASA-Ames Research Center   RCA-Adv. Tech. Labs.
255 N. Washington St.     Mail Stop 244-7             Mooretown Corp. Cntr.
Rome, NY 13440            Moffett Field, CA 94035     Route 38, Mooretown,
(315)336-0500             (415)694-6526               NJ 08057
                                                      (609)866-6428
Program Committee:
P. Cheeseman, J. Lemmer, T. Levitt, J. Pearl, M. Yousry, L. Zadeh.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 9 Jan 86 15:12:41-CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - User-System Interfaces Workshop

                        USER-SYSTEM INTERFACES WORKSHOP

When:   January 31 - Febuary 1, 1986

Where:  Austin South Plaza Hotel, Austin, Texas
        I-35 and Woodward

What:   A multidisciplinary conference addressing the problem of implementing
        effective communication between human and machine.  The contributions
        of various fields such as Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive
        Psychology are considered.

Participants:
  Brooks AFB SAM
  Burroughs
  IBM
  Lockheed
  MCC
  Rice University
  Southwest Research Institute
  Texas A&M University
  Texas Instruments
  University of Texas

Registration:                           Mail to:
  Before Jan. 24 - $30.00                 M. Sury
        Students - $15.00                 Dept. T2-32, Bldg. 30E
  After Jan. 24  - $40.00                 Lockheed Austin Division
        Students - $20.00                 P.O. Box 17100
  Includes lunch on Jan. 31.              Austin, TX 78760

For additional info:
  Ron Grissell  -  [512]448-5154
  Manda Sury    -  [512]448-5314
  Diana Webster -  [512]448-9186

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Dec 85 23:12:53 EST
From: "John F. Sowa" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - IFIP Conference on Knowledge and Data

                                  IFIP

          INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION FOR INFORMATION PROCESSING

                              ANNOUNCEMENT

         TC2 WORKING CONFERENCE organized by Working Group 2.6

                       Knowledge and Data (DS-2)

          November 3-7, 1986 in Albufeira (Algarve), Portugal

Scope:  Questions of meaning are more important for the design
of a knowledge base than methods of encoding data in bits and bytes.
As database designers add more semantic information to their systems,
their conceptual schemata begin to look like AI systems of
knowledge representation.  In recognizing this convergence on issues of
semantics, IFIP Working Group 2.6 is organizing a working conference
on Knowledge and Data.  It will address the issues and problems
of knowledge representation from an interdisciplinary point of view.

Topics:

   Design of a conceptual schema
   Knowledge and data modeling
   Database semantics
   Natural language semantics
   Expert database systems
   Logic, databases, and AI
   Methods of knowledge engineering
   Tools and aids for knowledge acquisition

Invited speakers:

   Herve Gallaire, Germany
   Robert Meersman, Belgium
   J. Alan Robinson, USA
   Roger Schank, USA
   Dana Scott, USA

An IFIP working conference is oriented towards detailed discussion of
the topics presented.  Participation is by invitation, with optional
contribution of a paper that is refereed by the program committee.
Anyone who is interested in participating should send an abstract
of current research or a prospective paper to either of the
program cochairmen.  Abstracts are due March 14, 1986.  Complete
papers are due May 16, 1986.

General Chairman:  Amilcar Sernadas, Portugal

Program cochairmen:

   John F. Sowa                         Robert Meersman
   IBM Systems Research Institute       L.U.C. -- Dept. WNIF
   500 Columbus Avenue                  Universitaire Campus
   Thornwood, NY  10594                 B-3610 Diepenbeek
   U.S.A.                               Belgium

   CSNET:  sowa.yktvmt@ibm

------------------------------

Date: 30 Dec 85 16:17:11 EST (Mon)
From: Duke Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - 2nd Expert Systems in Government, Re-Revised Version

This is yet another revision of the notice sent out several weeks ago,
and is a revision of the revision sent out earlier today.  I am sorry
for the repetition, but there have been several foul-ups in the
information being fed to me for the production of this announcement.

                         CALL FOR PAPERS

                  THE SECOND ANNUAL CONFERENCE

                               ON

                  EXPERT SYSTEMS IN GOVERNMENT

 Tyson's Westpark Hotel, McLean, VA in suburban Washington, D.C.
                      October 20 - 24, 1986

  The conference is sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society and
       the Mitre Corporation in cooperation with AIAA/NCS.

The objective of the conference is to explore the following:
        - knowledge based applications and supporting technologies
        - implementation and impact of emerging application areas
        - future trends in available systems and required research

Classified and unclassified papers which relate  to  the  use  of
knowledge  based  systems  are solicited.  The topics of interest
include, but are not limited to, the following applications:

Professional: engineering, finance, law, management, medicine
Office Automation: text understanding, intelligent DBMS, intelli-
gent systems
Command & Control: intelligence  analysis,  planning,  targeting,
communications, air traffic control, battle management
Exploration: outer space, prospecting, archaeology
Weapon Systems: adaptive control, electronic warfare, Star  Wars,
target identification
Equipment: CAD/CAM, design monitoring, maintenance, repair
Software: automatic programming,  maintenance,  verification  and
validation
Architecture: distributed knowledge based systems, parallel  com-
puting
Project Management: planning, scheduling, control
Education: concept formation, tutoring, testing, diagnosis
Imagery: photo interpretation, mapping
Systems Engineering: requirements, preliminary  design,  critical
design, testing, quality assurance
Tools and Techniques: PROLOG, knowledge acquisition and represen-
tation, uncertainty management
Plant and Factory Automation
Space Station Systems
Human-Machine Interface
Speech and Natural Language

The program will consist of submitted and invited  papers,  which
will  provide  an overview of selected areas.  Contributed papers
should be consistent with the following outline:
1. Introduction- state clearly the purpose of the work
2. Description of the actual work- must be new and significant
3. Results- discuss their significance
4. References

Completed papers are to be no longer  than  20  pages,  including
graphics.   For  classified  papers, please submit a one page un-
classified abstract.  All classified papers must be releasable at
the  Secret  level  or  below,  and  must  be pre-approved by the
author's cognizant security  release  authority.   Papers  to  be
presented  by  non-US  citizens  must  be  cleared through proper
government to government channels.  Four copies of  the  complete
paper are to be submitted to:

Dr. Kamal Karna, Conference Chairman
IEEE Computer Society
1730 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, D.C.  20036-1903

Author's Schedule:
Four copies of manuscript       May 1, 1986
Acceptance letter               June 15, 1986
Camera-ready copy               July 15, 1986

Conference Chairman:
        Dr. Kamal Karna
        Washington AI Center
        Mitre Corporation

Program Committee:
        Co-chairman: Classified
        Mr. Richard Martin
        Associate Director, Government Programs
        Software Engineering Institute
        Carnegie Mellon University

        Co-chairman: Unclassified
        Dr. Kamran Parsaye
        President
        Intelliware, Inc.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************