Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 86 04:04:30 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a004827; 10 Feb 86 2:22 EST
Date: Sun  9 Feb 1986 22:57-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #22
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Mon, 10 Feb 86 03:52 EST

AIList Digest            Monday, 10 Feb 1986       Volume 4 : Issue 22

Today's Topics:
  Queries - AI Society Information &
    J. of AI, Cognitive Science and Applied Epistemology &
    Natural Language Interfacing & 3D-package for Xerox 1108 &
    Psychological Knowledge Structures &
    ICAI for Physically/Mentally Impaired,
  Symbolic Math - PDP-11 Equation Solvers,
  Logic Programming - Bibliography Correction & Quick Summary of NAIL,
  AI Tools - MIRANDA Functional Programming System

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Feb 86 23:25:15 est
From: [email-masked] (Don Walker at mouton.ARPA)
Subject: NEED INFORMATION ON AI SOCIETIES; PLEASE HELP

I am preparing a short article on associations, societies, and related
organizations in artificial intelligence.  For each, I would appreciate
receiving the following kind of information: name; purpose; date of
establishment; principal people involved in getting it started;
important events in its history; publications, conferences, and other
activities; current membership (if relevant); and any other items of
special interest.  I would like to put the set of organizations in some
historical perspective, if possible.  Pointers to other places where
something like this has already been done would be particularly
helpful, and copies of same would be even more so.  Needless to say, net
transmission is most efficient, as the deadline is uncomfortably
close.  And I would particularly value finding someone who would be
interested in helping put all this information together!

I would expect to include SIGART, ACL, ICCL, AISB, IJCAII, AAAI, CSS,
CSCSI, ECCAI, and as many other national and regional groups as
possible.  Please help if you can; share with me what you have
available, even if you think you may not be the most appropriate person
to do so; and help get this message out to the people who should know.

Net messages to [email-masked], walker%mouton@csnet-relay,
or ucbvax(or ihnp4, etc.)!bellcore!walker; mail to
        Don Walker (EAI)
        Bell Communications Research
        445 South Street, MRE 2A379
        Morristown, NJ 07960, USA

I am sending this notice to publications as well as bboards, digests,
and people, but note that the time is too short to justify actually
printing it in most of them.  Instead, the editors should respond
themselves or route it to those most likely to have the information.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 6 Feb 86 13:23:43-PST
From: C.S./Math Library <[email-masked]>
Subject: J. of AI, Cognitive Science and Applied Epistemology

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

I received a message a while ago about the introduction of a new journal
titled Journal for the Integrated Study of Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive
Science and Applied Epistemology from Ghent, Belgium.  However I have not
been able to verify that such a journal has been published or is being
planned.  Does anyone have more information about it?

Harry Llull

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 86 13:25 ???
From: Sonny Crockett <[email-masked]>
Subject: Natural Language Interfacing

        A couple of my students are interested in doing some work on
a natural language interface to an Operating System.  I'm not really well
versed in this particular field.  Can someone point me towards a few good
papers on this topic? They don't necessarily have to be specifically on
Natural language interfaces to OS, generic ones will do.

                                Thanks,

                                Christopher A. Welty
                                RPI/CIE Systems Manager

------------------------------

Date: 4 Feb 86 15:09:52 GMT
From: [email-masked]
      .edu  (Kurt Fleckner)
Subject: 3D-package for Xerox 1108

I'm working on a Xerox 1108, and would like to get information
about a 3D-package for it.
I am designing an expert system to draw the 3D structure of
a RNA-molecule.
If anyone has any knowledge of such a system, I would be glad
if you could mail it to me. If you know about an expert system
in that area, I'm interested too.

                       Thanks,
                            Kurt Fleckner
                            Dept. of Comp. Science
                            University of Aarhus
                            Denmark
                       {seismo!mcvax!diku!daimi!fleckner}

[Check the last issue (or two) of IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications
for some beautiful graphics of DNA molecules in various conformations and
at several scales.  I was enlightened by the sequence showing DNA twisting
to form a chromosome.  Ken Knowleton and several others have also developed
molecular display software.  (I've seen examples in the SIGGRAPH proceedings.)
It would be a pity if all this had to be reinvented.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 86 11:16 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Cognitive Psychology - Knowledge Structures

          I am  looking  for information about the knowledge structure
          differences of people who have different levels of expertise
          in  a  subject.  For  example, what is the difference in the
          knowledge  structure of an "apprentice", a "journeyman",or a
          "master".

          I will be happy to collect these references and repost them.
          Please send them directly to me (via csnet).

                                        Roger Thompson

                                        Thompson@UMASS

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Feb 86 21:49:29 est
From: Walter Maner <[email-masked]>
Subject: ICAI for Physically/mentally Impaired

Could anyone point me to recent research in the development of intelligent
tutoring/training systems for the physically/mentally impaired?  My interest
is on the software engineering side, not the hardware side.  What kinds of
unsolved problems exist which might be addressable by ICAI software methods?
My impression is that, while there is much activity on the hardware frontier
for impaired learners, there has been little innovative work on the software
side.  So much for my impressions :-).

Please reply by mail directly to me.  If there are enough responses, I
will post a response summary back to mod.ai.  Thank you.

        Walter Maner, Computer Science Department

BEST    CSNet           maner@bgsu
 :      ARPANet         maner%bgsu@csnet-relay
 :      UUCP            ...cbosgd!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!maner
 :      Mail            BGSU, Bowling Green, OH 43403
 :      CompuServe      73157,247
WORST   Phone           (419) 372-8719 or -2337

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1986 23:10 EST
From: Jonathan Cohn  <[email-masked]>
Subject: PDP-11 Equation Solvers

I believe that such work was being done at Stevens Institute of Tech.
in Hoboken NJ in 1982-3 on a Pro-350 (PC version of PDP-11) at the math
department you might want to try in get in touch with Larry Levine
there, he is in the math department, and I think lead that project.
He has a computer address on bitnet of LLEVINE@SITVXB.

Jonathan Cohn
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Feb 86 16:28:28 PST
From: [email-masked] (Mike Newton)
Subject: small correction

A small correction to last digest's bibliography:

        %A H. Derby
        %T Using Logic Programming for Compiling APL
        ...
        %C Los Angeles, California

to:

%A H. Derby
%T Using Logic Programming for Compiling APL
%R Technical Report 84-5134
%I Department of Computer Science
%I California Institute of Technology
%C Pasadena, California  91125
%D 1984

- mike

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 86 10:20:22 pst
From: Allen VanGelder <avg@diablo>
Subject: Quick summary of NAIL

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

NAIL is a research project one of whose goals is to determine
what degree of expressiveness and efficiency can be obtained
by a logic based language without resorting to certain
"undesirable" non-logical mechanisms such as cut, assert and
retract, rule order, and subgoal order. Jeff Ullman, the PI,
likes to draw the analogy:

"NAIL is to Prolog as Relational DBMS is to CODASYL."

NAIL is in a preliminary stage of development at Stanford CSD.
An overview, "Design overview of the Nail! System" is available
from Professor Ullman.

NAIL! is an acronym for "Not Another Implementation of Logic!"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 86 23:39:35 GMT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: MIRANDA Functional Programming System

        MIRANDA

This  is  to  inform  anyone  who  may  be  interested   that   a   UNIX
implementation  of  the  Miranda  functional  programming  system is now
available for the following machines: VAX (under 4.2  BSD),  ORION,  and
SUN  workstations.  It will be ported to a number of other UNIX machines
in the  near  future.   The  rest  of  this  message  contains  a  brief
description  of the Miranda system, followed by information about how to
obtain it.

 What is Miranda?

Miranda is an advanced functional programming language designed by David
Turner  of the University of Kent.  It is based on the earlier languages
SASL, KRC and ML.  A program in Miranda is a set of equations describing
the  functions  and  data  structures  which the user wishes to compute.
Programs written in Miranda are typically ten to  twenty  times  shorter
than  the equivalent programs in a conventional high level language such
as PASCAL.  The main features of Miranda are:
        1) Purely functional - no side effects
        2) Higher order - functions can be treated as values
        3) Infinite data structures can be described and used
        4) Concise notation for sets and sequences ("zf expressions")
        5) Polymorphic strong typing
The basic  types  of  the  language  are  numbers  (integer  and  double
precision  floating  point),  characters,  booleans,  lists, tuples, and
functions.  In addition a rich variety  of  user-defined  types  may  be
introduced by writing appropriate equations.  A more detailed discussion
of the language may  be  found  in  "Miranda:  a  non-strict  functional
language  with polymorphic types", in Springer Lecture Notes in Computer
Science, vol 201.

The Miranda system is a self contained sub-system, running  under  UNIX.
The Miranda compiler works in conjunction with a screen editor (normally
this is `vi', but it is easy to arrange for this to be another editor if
preferred).  Programs are automatically recompiled in response to source
edits and any syntax or type errors  signalled  immediately.   The  type
system  enables  a  high proportion of semantic errors to be detected at
compile time.  There is an online reference manual, which documents  the
system at a level appropriate for someone already familiar with the main
ideas  of  functional  programming  (more  tutorial   material   is   in
preparation).  Execution is by a fast interpreter, using an intermediate
code based on combinatory logic.

The Miranda system is a powerful tool, enabling complex applications  to
be  developed  in  a  fraction  of  the  time required in a conventional
programming system.  Applications which have been developed  in  Miranda
include  -  compilers,  theorem provers, and digital circuit simulation.
It is envisaged that the main uses of Miranda will be:
        1) Teaching the concepts of functional programming
        2) Rapid prototyping
        3) As a specification language
        4) For further research into functional programming
        5) As a general purpose programming language

 Release Information

The Miranda system has been developed by Research Software Ltd.   It  is
distributed  in  object  code  form  and  is currently available for the
following machines - VAX (under 4.2BSD), ORION, SUN 2, SUN 3.

The license fee, per cpu, is 300 pounds for an educational  license  and
975   pounds   for   a  commercial  license  (US  prices:  $450,  $1450,
respectively).  If you think you may be interested in obtaining  a  copy
of  the Miranda system please send your name and (postal) address to the
following  electronic  mail  address,  and  you  will  be  sent  further
information and a copy of the license form etc:
                USENET:  ...!mcvax!ukc!mira-request
                JANET:   [email-masked]
                ARPANET: mira-request%ukc@ucl-cs
Or  telephone Research Software on: 0227 471844 (omit the initial `0' if
calling from outside England)

If you are interested in obtaining Miranda on a different machine, or  a
different  version  of  Unix,  from those listed above, it is also worth
mailing details of your situation, since future porting policy  will  be
largely  determined  by  perceived  demand.   ((NB  - UNIX systems only,
please.))

    David Turner

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************