Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 86 08:53:18 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a012453; 15 Jan 86 22:19 EST
Date: Wed 15 Jan 1986 10:03-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #6
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Thu, 16 Jan 86 05:26 EST

AIList Digest           Wednesday, 15 Jan 1986      Volume 4 : Issue 6

Today's Topics:
  Description - European Association for Theoretical Computer Science

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 6 JAN 86 10:55-N
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Description - European Assoc. for Theoretical Computer Science

           [Forwarded from the SRI bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Dear collegue,

     I am taking advantage of this excellent communication
medium, the "Theory Net", to send you information (actually
the information leaflet) about the EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION FOR
THEORETICAL COMPUTER SCIENCE (EATCS). Although our associa-
tion is based in Europe, its membership is "intercontinental"
- about 40% of our members comes from outside Europe.
     In our experience the only reason that a computer
scientist who is either actively engaged or interested in
theoretical computer science is not a member of EATCS is
that she/he does not know about our organisation - just
see how much we offer for so little!!!   [...]
     If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact
either myself (electronic address: [email-masked])
or the secretary of the association Th. Ottmann (electronic
address: [email-masked]).

     I take this opportunity to wish you the very best
New Year.

                                      G. Rozenberg
                                     EATCS President

===============================================================================

       EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION FOR THEORETICAL COMPUTER SCIENCE (EATCS)

                    COUNCIL OF EATCS

                          BOARD

President:        G. Rozenberg, Leiden
Vice President:   W. Brauer, Munich
Treasurer:        J. Paredaens, Antwerp
Secretary:        Th. Ottmann, Karlsruhe
Bulletin Editor:  G. Rozenberg, Leiden
TCS Editor:       M. Nivat, Paris
Past Presidents:  M. Nivat, Paris (1972-1977)
                  M. Paterson, Warwick (1977-1979)
                  A. Salomaa, Turku (1979-1985)

                  FURTHER COUNCIL MEMBERS

G. Ausiello           Rome
J. De Bakker          Amsterdam
J. Diaz               Barcelona
F. Gecseg             Szeged
J. Gruska             Bratislava
Z. Manna              Rehovot & Stanford
H. Maurer             Graz
Ch.H. Papadimitriou   Athens & Stanford
A. Paz                Haifa
D. Perrin             Paris
E. Schmidt            Aarhus
D. Wood               Waterloo

                      EATCS

HISTORY AND ORGANISATION

   EATCS is an international organisation founded in 1972. Its aim is to
facilitate the exchange of ideas and results among theoretical computer
scientists as well as to stimulate cooperation between the theoretical
and the practical community in computer science.
   Its activities are coordinated by the Council of EATCS, out of which a
President, a Vice President, a Treasurer and a Secretary are elected.
Policy guidelines are determined by the Council and the General Assembly
of EATCS. This assembly is scheduled to take place during the annual
International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP),
the conference of EATCS.

MAJOR ACTIVITIES OF EATCS

- Organization of ICALP's
- Publication of the "Bulletin of the EATCS"
- Publication of the "EATCS Monographs in Theoretical Computer Science"
- Publication of the journal "Theoretical Computer Science"
- Other activities of EATCS include the sponsorship of various more
  specialized meetings in theoretical computer science. Among such
  meetings are: CAAP (Colloquium on Trees in Algebra and Programming),
  TAPSOFT (Conference on Theory and Practice of Software Development),
  STACS (Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science),
  Workshop on Graph Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, European
  Workshop on Applications and Theory of Petri Nets, Workshop on Graph
  Grammars and their Applications in Computer Science.

BENEFITS

   Benefits offered by EATCS include:
- Receiving the "Bulletin of the EATCS" (about 600 pages per year)
- Reduced registration fees at various conferences
- Reciprocity agreements with other organisations
- 25% discount in purchasing ICALP proceedings
- 25% discount in purchasing books from "EATCS Monographs on Theoretical
  Computer Science"
- About 70% (equals about 1000 Dutch guilders) discount per annual
  subscription to "Theoretical Computer Science".

(1) THE ICALP CONFERENCE

   ICALP is an international conference covering all aspects of theoretical
computer science and now customarily taking place during the third week of
July.
   Typical topics discussed during recent ICALP conferences are: computability,
automata theory, formal language theory, analysis of algorithms, computa-
tional complexity, mathematical aspects of programming language definition,
logic and semantics of programming languages, foundations of logic programming,
theorem proving, software specification, computational geometry, data types and
data structures, theory of data bases and knowledge based systems, cryptography,
VLSI structures, parallel and distributed computing, models of concurrency
and robotics.

   Sites of ICALP meetings:
- Paris, France (1972)                    - Haifa, Israel (1981)
- Saarbrucken, Germany (1974)             - Aarhus, Denmark (1982)
- Edinburgh, Great Britain (1976)         - Barcelona, Spain (1983)
- Turku, Finland (1977)                   - Antwerp, Belgium (1984)
- Udine, Italy (1978)                     - Nafplion, Greece (1985)
- Graz, Austria (1979)                    - Rennes, France (1986)
- Noordwijkerhout, Holland (1980)         - Karlsruhe, Germany (1987)

(2) THE BULLETIN OF THE EATCS

   Three issues of the Bulletin are published annually appearing in
February, June and October respectively. The Bulletin is a medium for
rapid publication and wide distribution of material such as:
- EATCS matters
- Information about the current ICALP
- Technical contributions
- Surveys and tutorials
- Reports on conferences
- Calendar of events
- Reports on computer science departments and institutes
- Listings of technical reports and publications
- Book reviews
- Open problems and solutions
- Abstracts of  Ph.D. Theses
- Information on visitors at various institutions
- Entertaining contributions and pictures related to computer science.
   Contributions to any of the above areas are solicited. All written
contributions should be sent to the Bulletin Editor:

                    Prof.dr. G. Rozenberg
                    Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science
                    University of Leiden
                    P.O. Box 9512
                    2300 RA  Leiden, The Netherlands

   Deadlines for submissions to reach the Bulletin Editor are: January 15,
May 15 and September 15 for the February, June and October issue respec-
tively.
   All pictures (preferably black and white) including text of what they
are showing should be sent to the Picture Editor:

                    Dr. P. van Emde-Boas
                    University of Amsterdam
                    Roeterstraat 15
                    1018 WB  Amsterdam, The Netherlands

   Deadlines are 2 weeks before those for written contributions, indicated
above.

(3) EATCS MONOGRAPHS ON THEORETICAL COMPUTER SCIENCE

   This is a series of monographs published by Springer-Verlag and launched
during ICALP 1984; within the first year six volumes appeared. The series
includes monographs as well as innovative textbooks in all areas of theo-
retical computer science, such as the areas listed above in connection
with the ICALP conference. The volumes are hard-cover and ordinarily
produced by type-setting. To ensure attractive prices other  production
methods are possible.
   The editors of the series are W. Brauer (Munich), G. Rozenberg (Leiden),
and A. Salomaa (Turku). Potential authors should contact one of the editors.
The advisory board consists of G. Ausiello (Rome), S. Even (Haifa), M. Nivat
(Paris), C. Papadimitriou (Athens & Stanford), A. Rosenberg (Durham), and
D. Scott (Pittsburgh).
   Updated information about the series can be obtained from the publisher,
Springer-Verlag.

(4) THEORETICAL COMPUTER SCIENCE

   The aim of the "Theoretical Computer Science" journal is to publish
papers in the fast envolving field of theoretical computer science.
   The volume of research on theoretical aspects of computer science
has increased enormously in the past. The classical theories of
automata and formal languages still offer problems and results,
while considerable attention is now being given to newer areas, such
as the formal semantics of programming languages and the study of algorithms
and their complexity. Behind all this lie the major problems of under-
standing the nature of computation and its relation to computing
methodology. While "Theoretical Computer Science" remains mathematical
and abstract in spirit, it derives its motivation from the problems of
practical computation. The editors intend that the domain covered
by "Theoretical Computer Science" will increase and evolve with the
growth of the science itself. The editor-in-chief of "Theoretical
Computer Science" is:

                    Prof. M. Nivat
                    162, Boulevard Malesherbes
                    75017 Paris, France.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

   Please contact the Secretary of EATCS:

                    Prof.dr. Th. Ottmann
                    Institut fur Angewandte Informatik und Formale
                                            Beschreibungsverfahren
                    Universitat Karlsruhe
                    Postfach 6380
                    D-7500 Karlsruhe 1
                    West Germany

DUES

   The dues are US $ 10.- for a period of one year. If the initial
membership payment is received in the period December 21 - April 20,
April 21 - August 20, August 21 - December 20, then the first
membership year will start on June 1, October 1, February 1,
respectively. Every continuation payment continues the membership
for the same time period.
   An additional fee is required for ensuring the air mail delivery
of the EATCS Bulletin outside Europe. The amounts are $ 7.- for USA,
Canada, Israel, $ 10.- for Japan and $ 12.- for Australia per year.
For information additonal fees for other destinations contact either
the Secretary or the Treasurer.

HOW TO JOIN EATCS

   To join send the annual dues, or a multiple thereof (to cover a
number of years), to the Treasurer of EATCS:

                    Prof.dr. J. Paredaens
                    University of Antwerp, U.I.A.
                    Department of Mathematics
                    Universiteitsplein 1
                    B-2610 Wilrijk, Belgium

   The dues can be paid (in order of preference) by US $ bank cheques,
other currency bank cheques, US $ cash, other currency cash. It cannot
be paid by International Post Money Order. When submitting payment,
please make sure to indicate complete name and address. For this purpose
you may want to use the form below. You may also pay the membership fee
via the following account:

                    General Bank Antwerp
                    Antwerp, Belgium
                    Account number: 220-0596350-30

   If a transfer is in US $ then the annual membership payment equals
US $ 10.-. If a transfer (covering the membership for any number of years
and/or addtitional air mail delivery for any number of years) is in a
currency other than US $, then additional US $ 2.- for the transfer must
be paid (the difference is used to cover the bank charges). Please remember
to indicate your address clearly (since the Bulletin is send to the address
you give).

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************