Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 86 05:05:44 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a023209; 17 Feb 86 0:45 EST
Date: Sun 16 Feb 1986 21:16-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #29
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Tue, 18 Feb 86 04:42 EST

AIList Digest            Monday, 17 Feb 1986       Volume 4 : Issue 29

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Expert Systems Information & Rule Master Reviews &
    Games, Evolution and Learning Conference & Chess & Micro Prolog,
  Bindings - Prisoner's Dilemma Mailing List,
  Machine Learning - Hopfield Networks,
  Software Review - Personal Computer Scheme

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun 16 Feb 86 22:36:39-EST
From: "Randall Davis" <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: davis@mit-mc
Subject: access to info

I'd like to assemble a list of resources of information about expert systems,
organized along the lines indicated below.  If you can think of a
        journal,
        trade magazine,
        newsletter, or
        regularly scheduled conference
not listed below, and can supply the relevant details, please send them to me
(not to the whole list, and please only respond if you have the details
available and accurate).  I'll filter the responses to eliminate duplicates
and re-post to the list it for general consumption.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FORMAT FOR PUBLICATIONS

NAME
PUBLISHER
EDITOR(S)
SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION (frequency of publication, price)
SUBSCRIPTION ADDRESS (where to write)
CATEGORY: one of        RESEARCH JOURNAL (eg, Artificial Intelligence)
                        RESEARCH NEWSLETTER (eg, AAAI Magazine, SIGART)
                        COMMERCIAL NEWSLETTER (eg, Expert Systems Strategies)
FOCUS: eg, all areas of AI, expert systems technical issues, management issues,
        etc.

FORMAT FOR CONFERENCES

NAME
SPONSORING ORGANIZATION
FREQUENCY OF OCCURENCE
ADDRESS FOR INFORMATION

I have details for
        Journals
                AI Journal
                Journal of Automated Reasoning

        Newsletters
                AAAI Magazine
                Expert Systems Strategies

        Conferences
                IJCAI, AAAI

and would welcome all other info, especially non-US listings.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 14 Feb 86 12:56:42-PST
From: Bill Park <[email-masked]>
Subject: Rule Master Reviews?

To whom it may concern:

If you have any experience with Rule Master, would you please tell me
what you think of it?  We are considering using it in a project
related to NASA's space station.

Thanks,
Bill Park (Park@SRI-AI)
(415)859-2233
SRI International
Menlo Park, CA

------------------------------

Date: 14 Feb 86 02:43:55 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (gknight)
Subject: Games, Evolution & Learning Conference query.

Can anyone give me information on a conference entitled "Games,
Evolution & Learning," held in New Mexico in 1984 or 1985?
The organizer (or any other contact person)?  Proceedings, if
available?  A list of speakers and paper titles?  Etc., etc.
Please send by mail directly to me and I'll post a summary of
info received for the information of others on the nets.

                          Many thanks,

Gary Knight, 3604 Pinnacle Road, Austin, TX  78746  (512/328-2480).
Biopsychology Program, Univ. of Texas at Austin.  "There is nothing better
in life than to have a goal and be working toward it." -- Goethe.

------------------------------

Date: 14 Feb 86 09:42 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Chess game informations needed.

I'm reading about expert system, and would like to try to build an
expert system.  I would appreciate any helpfull hints, pointers to any
existing Chess game expert system, in Interlisp-D would a plus.  I would
like to thank you in advance for any help.

Dinh

Regular mail:
        Dinh Vu
        Xerox Corporation
        800 Philips Rd, Bld 129-38B
        Webster, Ny 14580.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 14 Feb 86 16:56:18-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Prolog on VMS and/or MAC

Does anybody know of a public domain version of Prolog for
VAX/VMS or the Macintosh?  Or how about a commercial version?

   Jeff Berliner ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 86 18:43:00 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Prisoner's Dilemma

Prisoner's dilemma tournament mailing list;
Please send back a note if you wish to receive future announcements.

------------------------------

Date: 7 Feb 86 20:13:13 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Eric H Jensen)
Subject: Re: Hopfield Networks?

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (J. Eric Roskos) writes:

>In a recent issue (Issue 367) of EE Times, there is an article titled
>"Neural Research Yields Computer that can Learn".  This describes a
>simulation of a machine that uses a "Hopfield Network"; from the ...

I got the impression that this work is just perceptrons revisited.
All this business about threshold logic with weighting functions on
the inputs adjusted by feedback (i.e. the child reading) ...
Anybody in the know have a comment?

eric h. jensen        (S1 Project @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
Phone: (415) 423-0229 USMail: LLNL, P.O. Box 5503, L-276, Livermore, Ca., 94550
ARPA:  ehj@angband    UUCP:   ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!angband!ehj

  [What is new is that there are now training algorithms for multilayer
  networks -- something that Minsky and Papert declared unlikely in their
  famous book on perceptrons.  Also new is the development of special
  hardware, both chips and full [Boltzmann] processors for the implementation
  of such networks.  Hopfield networks require symmetric connections and
  a form of "relaxation" processing or simulated annealing; Hopfield
  characterizes this as constraint satisfaction or discrete optimization
  by moving through the center of a data space (in somewhat the same manner
  as the Karmarkar algorithm) instead of touring the vertices in the manner
  of the simplex algorithm.  Other multilayer connectionist networks have
  recently been developed that do not require symmetric or even feedback
  connections, except for training feedback.  The breakthrough in these
  latter networks seems to be the notion of adjusting each coefficient
  in proportion to its "responsibility" in making a good or bad decision.
  Determination of proportionate responsibility can be made using partial
  derivatives.  Another possibility that I find intriguing is the use
  of a domain-knowledgeable expert system for identifying "guilty"
  coefficients, as in the system for predicting horse races reported in
  Heuristics for Inductive Learning by Steven Salzberg of Applied Expert
  Systems, IJCAI 85, pp. 603-609.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 11 Feb 86 22:38:38-CST
From: Rob Pettengill <[email-masked]>
Subject: Personal Computer Scheme

I recently purchased an implementation of the Scheme dialect of
lisp for my PC.  I am familiar with GC Lisp, IQ Lisp, and Mu Lisp
for the PC. I use Lambdas and 3600s with ZetaLisp at work.

TI PC Scheme is a very complete implementation of scheme for the
IBM and TI personal computers and compatibles.  It combines high
speed code execution, a good debugging and editing environment,
and very low cost.

The Language:

* Adheres faithfully to the Scheme standard.
* Has true lexical scoping.
* Prodedures and environments are first class data objects.
* Is properly tail recursive - there is no penalty compared
  to iteration.
* Includes window and graphics extensions.

The Environment:

* An incremental optimizing compiler (not native 8086 code)
* Top level read-compile-print loop.
* Interactive debugger allows run time error recovery.
* A minimal Emacs-like full screen editor with a scheme mode
  featuring parethesis matching and auto indenting of lisp code.
* An execute DOS command or "push" to DOS capability - this is
  only practical with a hard disk because of the swap file PCS writes.
* A DOS based Fast Load file format object file conversion utility.
* A fast 2 stage garbage collector.

First Impressions:

Scheme seems to be much better sized to a PC class machine than
the other standard dialects of lisp because of its simplicity.  The
TI implementation appears to be very solid and complete.  The compiled
code that it produces (with debugging switches off) is 2 to  5 times
faster than the other PC lisps that I have used.  With the full screen
editor loaded (there is also a structure editor) there seems to be
plenty of room for my code in a 640k PC.  TI recommends 320k or 512k
with the editor loaded.  The documentation is of professional quality
(about 390 pages), but not tutorial.  Abelson and Sussman^2's "Structure
and Interpretation of Computer Programs" is a very good companion for
learning scheme as well as the art and science of programming in general.

My favorite quick benchmark -

(define (test n)
  (do
    ((i 0 (1+ i))
     (r () (cons i r)))
    ((>= i n) r)))

runs (test 10000) in less than 10 seconds with the editor loaded - of course
it takes a couple of minutes to print out the ten thousand element list
that results.

The main lack I find is that the source code for the system is not
included - one gets used to that in good lisp environments.  I have
hit only a couple of minor glitches, that are probably pilot error,
so far.  Since the system is compiled with debugging switches off
it is hard to get much useful information about the system from
the dubugger.

Based on my brief, but very positive experience with TI PC scheme and
its very low price of $95 - I recommend it to anyone interested in a
PC based lisp.  You can order from Texas Instruments at 1-800-TI-PARTS.
(Standard disclaimers about personal opinions and having no commercial
interest in the product ...)

Rob Pettengill

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************