Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 86 23:30:33 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a006480; 3 Feb 86 13:40 EST
Date: Mon  3 Feb 1986 10:13-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #19
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Tue, 4 Feb 86 00:52 EST

AIList Digest             Monday, 3 Feb 1986       Volume 4 : Issue 19

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Prolog for Compiler Writing & LISP Compilers &
    LISP Tutorial Source Code & Mathematical Structure of OOPL &
    Equation Solver,
  Binding - Supercomputer Center & Grenoble Labs,
  History - Airline Reservation Systems,
  Report - Calculus of Partially-Ordered Type Structures,
  Review - Technology Review Article

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 31 Jan 86 08:02:00 EST
From: "INFO1::ELDER" <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: "INFO1::ELDER" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Prolog for Compiler Writing

Greg Elder

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 86 13:56:44 CST
From: Al Gaspar <[email-masked]>
Subject: LISP Compilers?

A friend that doesn't have access to the net asked me to post this query.
What brands of Common LISP would run best on a VAX 780 under UNIX Sys V.2?
Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.  Please reply to me
directly as I don't subscribe to AILIST.  If there are enough replies,
I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks in advance--

Al Gaspar       <[email-masked]>
USAMC ALMSA, ATTN:  AMXAL-OW, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578
COMMERCIAL:  (314) 263-5118     AUTOVON:  693-5118
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: 0  0 00:00:00 EST
From: "Don Mcdougall" <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: "Don Mcdougall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: request for LISP source code

             [Interesting date on this message!  -- KIL]

  I am teaching an AI course for the continuing education program at
St. Mary's College in Southern Maryland. This is my first time teaching
LISP and I would appreciate access to the source code for "project-
sized" LISP programs or any other teaching aids or material. We are
using the 2nd edition of both Winston's AI and Winston&Horne's LISP.
I hate to ask for help, but we are pretty far from mainstream AI
down here and my students and I all have full time jobs so any help we
can get from the professional AI community would be greatly
appreciated by all of us.

                                        Bob Woodruff
                                        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 86  8:58:50 EST
From: "Srinivasan Krishnamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Mathematical Structure of OOPL

I would like to hear about any definitive work on the mathematical
structure of object oriented programming languages (eg. smalltalk).
I am interested in the current status of the subject. Reference to
a good review will be most helpful. Would also appreciate receiving
papers or reports on the subject.

 My netaddress is : [email-masked]

 U.S Postal Address:
Srinivasan Krishnamurthy
COMSAT LABS, (NTD) RM:7142
22300 Comsat Drive
Clarksburg, MD-20871
 Tel: (301)428-4531(W)

  Thanks.
  Srini.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 86 16:10:06 GMT
From: [email-masked].
      edu  (Paul Benjamin)
Subject: Re: Equation solver

> I am looking for a program that can solve simple algebraic expressions
> of the type:
>
>               10x - 15 = 5
>
> This system would have the capability of SIMPLIFYING expressions, EXPANDING
> expressions and SOLVING expressions (where possible).
> Note that I am looking for simple solutions, I have no need of the extensive
> capabilities of MACSYMA or some such thing.
> It needs to work on fairly small (pdp-11, non-unix) machines.
> It's purpose is to act a a simple but patient tutor in pre-algebra.
> Consequently it must give hints, advice, etc.
> Any help, pointers, suggestions, etc. from people is much appreciated.
>
> Dick Pierce
> [email-masked]
> Organization: GenRad, Inc., Concord, Mass.

You may want to look at Sleeman's work, although it is more along the
lines of simulating student's solutions to such tasks. It can be
found with related work in "Intelligent Tutoring Systems", published
by Academic Press in 1982. The editors are D. Sleeman and J. S. Brown.

Good luck.
Paul Benjamin

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 86 16:01:00 GMT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Equation solver

Some work on algebraic manipulation was done at the Edinburgh Univ.
(Dept. of AI) by A.Bundy and others. I can give you few references:

   Bundy, Silver: Preparing Equations for Change in Unknown,
   IJCAI-81, and DAI research paper 159.
   Bundy, Sterling: Meta-level Inference in Algebra, DAI 164.
   Bundy, Welham: Using Meta-level Inference for Selective
   Application of Multiple Rewrite Rules in Algebraic Manipulation,
   Artificial Intelligence 16(2), 1981.

You may also consult the book:
   Bundy: The Computer Modelling of Mathematical Reasoning,
   Academic Press, 1983.

Good luck.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 30 Jan 86 15:26:58-CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Supercomputers and AI

Sorry about the transposition of the zip code for UCSD.  Maybe I can
make up for it with the correct zip for GA Technologies.  The mailing
address they seem to giving out for Supercomputer Center
communications is

                              GA Technologies
                              P.O. Box 85608
                              San Diego, CA 92138

Dallas Webster
[email-masked]
ut-sally!batman!dallas

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jan 86 21:38:16 GMT
From: "mcvax!vmucnam!imag!lifia!rit"@SEISMO.ARPA
Subject: Grenoble labs

Someone mailed me for enquiries about computer science Grenoble labs in
response to an article in mod.ai. I lost his message, I'll answer him if he
remails.

Jean-Francois Rit
Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale et d'Intelligence Artificielle
BP 68
38402 Saint-Martin d'Heres cedex
                                  Disclaimer: This is only my postal address!
UUCP: ...{mcvax,vmucnam}!lifia!rit
decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!
    [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 86 07:59:38 EST
From: Alan Bawden <[email-masked]>
Subject: Contrast

    Date: 23-Jan-86 12:52:19-PST
    From: jbn at FORD-WDL1
    ...  Contrast this with Minksy's recent claims seen here that airline
    reservation systems were invented by someone at the MIT AI lab in the
    1960s.

I decided to take a close look at this contrast.  After searching through
the recent archives, the only mention by Minsky of airline reservation
systems that I can find is:

    And I'm pretty sure that the first practical airline reservation was
    designed by Danny Bobrow of the BBN AI group around 1966.!

Now that I have refreshed my memory with what he actually said, I think the
contrast is not quite as unflattering.  Given the use of the adjective
``practical'', someone might even be able to make a case that he is right.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 30 Jan 86 15:15:53-CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Calculus of Partially-Ordered Type Structures

This message is an commmon answer to all those individuals (thanks for
your interest) that have been asking me for copies of my Ph.D.
Dissertation (A Lattice-Theoretic Approach to Computation Based on a
Calculus of Partially-Ordered Type Structures).

My thesis is being revised for publication as a book. I am out of copies
the version I've been sending. You may:

        .write or call U.of Penn. CIS dpt. 215-898-8540 (Ph.D. 9/84)
        .write University Microfilms at Ann-Arbor, MI
        .get hold of one from a friend and ask a nice secretary to xerox it
        .steal one (no one will mind: it's a cheap value!).
        .or you can wait and bear with my slow work in translating a
         big Scribe mess into an even larger LaTeX mess(*)---send me
         another message in, oh, about 3 months.

Hope that'll help.
Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Hassan

(*) By the way, any info of programs that do that is welcome!

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jan 86 17:18:00 GMT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Technology Review article

Has anyone read the article about AI in the February issue of
"Technology Review"?  You can't miss it -- the cover says something
like: "In 25 years, AI has still not lived up to its promises and
there's no reason to think it ever will" (not a direct quote; I don't
have the copy with me).  General comments?
-- Rich Wagner
       "Relax!  They're just programs..."
P.S.  You might notice that about 10 pages into the issue, there's
      an ad for some AI system.  I bet the advertisers were real
      pleased about the issue's contents...

------------------------------

Date: 3 Feb 86 14:25:24 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Miles Murdocca)
Subject: Re: Technology Review article

The [Technology Review] article was written by the Dreyfuss brothers,
who are famous for making bold statements that AI will never meet the
expectations of the people who fund AI research.  They make the claim
that people do not learn to ride a bike by being told how to do it,
but by a trial and error method that isn't represented symbolically.
They use this argument and a few others such as the lack of a
representation for emotions to support their view that AI researchers
are wasting their sponsors' money by knowingly heading down dead-ends.

As I recall ["Machine Learning", Michalski et al, Ch 1], there are two
basic forms of learning: 'knowledge acquisition' and 'skill refinement'.
The Dreyfuss duo seems to be using a skill refinement problem to refute
the work going on in knowledge acquisition.  The distinction between the
two types of learning was recognized by AI researchers years ago, and I
feel that the Dreyfuss two lack credibility since they fail to align their
arguments with the taxonomy of the field.

    Miles Murdocca, 4G-538, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Crawfords Corner Rd,
    Holmdel, NJ, 07733, (201) 949-2504, ...{ihnp4}!vax135!miles

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************