Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 85 02:13:51 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a001238; 27 Dec 85 18:55 EST
Date: Fri 27 Dec 1985 15:33-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #193
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Tue, 31 Dec 85 22:19 EST

AIList Digest           Saturday, 28 Dec 1985     Volume 3 : Issue 193

Today's Topics:
  Query - Common LISP and OPS5,
  News - Job Ads on the Network,
  AI Tools - Superset of Common Lisp,
  Games - Computer Chess (Fredkin Final),
  Seminar Series - AI in Design and Manufacturing (SU),
  Course - Logic in AI and Databases (Rutgers)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Dec 85 09:16:50 -0200
From: [email-masked]
      (Markku Tamminen)
Subject: Common LISP and OPS5

At the Helsinki University of Technology we have been using Franz LISP
but would now like to make a switch to Common LISP, however, without
undue costs.

We have a VAX 11/750 under BSD 4.2 and three Altos under System 5.
Further we will probably soon have an ATT 3B2, also under System 5.
We would like to have Common LISP on at least two or three of these
machines, so that it is important for us to find not-too-expensive variants.

Does anybody have a comprehensive list of Common LISPs available under Unix?
If not, and if the list is non-trivial, perhaps I could compose it from
replies to this query?

I have a further query about public domain versions of the OPS5 production
system language. Does anybody have a version in Common LISP? If not, is
such a need widely felt? Would it be possible to acquire ANY version of
OPS5 through the net? (We need it quickly for use in a course beginning in
January.)

Markku Tamminen
Helsinki University of Technology Laboratory of Information Processing Science
02150 ESPOO 15 FINLAND, Tel: 358-0-4512075 (460144)
seismo!mcvax!hut!mit

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Dec 85 16:29 EST
From: Henry Lieberman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Job ads on the network

High Technology Professionals for Peace, a Cambridge, Mass.
organization, is starting an electronic bulletin board for
ads for jobs [non-military, of course] in the computer field.
Both employers and job seekers will be able to access the
system confidentially.  It's not up yet, but when I receive
details about how to log in, I will post them.  Hopefully,
there will be ways to access them from most popular computer
networks.  They already have an employment agency [using conventional
technologies] for matching non-military employers and prospective
employees, and I'd encourage anyone looking for a job to
write or call them.  They also seek help with their project
of setting up the computer bulletin board service.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Dec 85 02:04:00 -0100
From: [email-masked] (Bjorn Victor)
Subject: Superset of Common Lisp

In case no one else already submitted this or better:

Subject: Re: Superset of Common LISP...

It's probably Zetalisp they're talking about.
Quoting from an article whose copy is missing origin and date,
regarding the release of the Texas Explorer:

  "The Explorer unveiling comes shortly after TI's announcement in
August of a multi-million dollar contract to develop a custom VLSI
LISP processor chip for the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency
(DARPA) Strategic Computing Program.  The LISP microprocessor, which
will be software compatible with Explorer, will perform functions
requiring several hundred integrated circuits in current computer
systems.  The chip is being designed to provide up to ten times the
processing power of today's commercial symbolic processors at
substantially lower cost and physical size, which will make possible
many new commercial applications of symbolic processing."

--Bjorn Victor                  UUCP: {mcvax,seismo}!enea!kuling!victor
Computing Science Dept/UPMAIL   ARPA: [email-masked]
Uppsala University, PO Box 2059
S-750 02  UPPSALA, SWEDEN

------------------------------

Date: 21 December 1985 2252-EST
From: Hans [email-masked]
Subject: Computer Chess (Fredkin Final

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

In  the final  round  of the  Fredkin  Masters Invitational  Tourney,
Hitech beat Computer Killer Tom  Martinak.  Martinak had participated
in the 1982 and  1984 Fredkin events in which he played  a total of 5
games against the best programs at that time.  His result was 4.5 out
of 5  (therefore the  name "computer killer").  Among his 5 points
were 2 points in two tries against Cray Blitz.

Final Standings:

NAME       SCORE      PLACE     RATING at start

Rao        8-0        I        2400
Szmetan  6.5-1.5      II       2404
Hitech   5.5-2.5      III      2255
Leverett  5 - 3       IV       2366

Nobody else  is going to  get more than 3.5  points and 5th  place is
still undecided at this writing.   This is an outstanding performance
by Vivek Rao, who  is the number one player in the  country in the 16
and under  category and number 7  in the 21  and under.  He  was very
dominant.

If I may  be excused for editorializing, this is  also an outstanding
performance for a computer.  Hitech's rating is now about 2309, which
is 100 points  higher than any computer has ever  penetrated, and it
is still climbing.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 85 11:53:54 pst
From: Mark Cutkosky <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar Series - AI in Design and Manufacturing (SU)

Subject:  A Seminar on "A.I. in Design and Manufacturing"

Time:     Every thursday at 12:00 noon during the winter quarter

Location: Terman?  (room location to be announced)

For further information contact:
Mark Cutkosky, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering  (415) 497-8100
Susan Hansen, Administrative Assistant, SIMA  (415) 497-9038
Jay M. Tenenbaum, Consulting Professor, CIS  (415) 496-4704

Purpose:  To explore the use of A.I. tools in problems involving the design
        and manufacture of mechanical and electrical components.

There is a growing interest both in engineering and computer science in
applying A.I. methods to engineering problems.  Every week, I learn of
another student who is working on an expert system or a qualitative
reasoning system for some new application.  A goal of this seminar is to
bring us together so that we can learn what other faculty and students are
doing, share ideas, and perhaps share software and programming techniques.

Seminar Format:
   Every other week a presentation will be given by a member of the A.I.
community.  The intervening weeks will be devoted to informal discussions
of theory and practice and to student presentations of work-in-progress.

   The first speaker will be Dr. Jeff Pan of Schlumberger Palo Alto Research,
speaking about "A.I. Support of Fabrication Processes with Applications to
Manufacturing Mechanical Devices"  on Thurs, January 9.

Other presentations will include:

* Dr. Barbara Hayes-Roth, Stanford Knowledge Systems Laboratory:
"Blackboard Systems for Mechanical Design,"  Feb. 6.

* Dr. Robert Stults, Xerox Palo Alto Reserach Center:  "Design Methodology,"
March 6.

  A more complete schedule and room location will be announced prior to the
first meeting.

                                                Mark R. Cutkosky

------------------------------

Date: 26 Dec 85 13:13:05 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Course - Logic in AI and Databases (Rutgers)

                    Seminar in Logic in AI and Databases

                              Tomasz  Imielinski

                                Spring 1986

This time I will talk about Logic of Knowledge and Belief and it's
applications in Knowledge Representation, Incomplete and Limited Resources
Reasoning and Distributed Systems (Last year seminar was related to Theoretical
foundations of Logic Programming). If time allows I will also cover Nonmonotone
reasoning and reasoning in presence of inconsistency.

I will start from the introduction of modal logics and their semantics based
on Kripke Models.  This will be followed by the discussion of the Hintikka's
approach to the logic of knowledge and belief (In particular the books
"Knowledge and belief" and "Models for Modalities"). I will be particularly
interested in predicate logic of knowledge and various difficulties and
paradoxes which arise when we move from the propositional case to the predicate
case. The relevant complexity results related to the decision procedures will
be also discussed.

Next, the applications in computer science, in particular in AI and distributed
systems  will be discussed. I will concentrate here again on the predicate
logic of knowledge since it attracted much less attention in the literature.
Such issues as "awarness", "limited resource reasoning", and
"approximated reasoning" will be of particular interest here.

LITERATURE: Textbook in Modal logic (like Hughes and Cresswell "Introduction to
modal logic" or Chellas "Modal Logic"). Two books by J. Hintikka "Knowledge and
Belief" and "Models for Modalities". These books will be put on reserve in the
library. Besides various recent papers will be distributed in class possibly
including the papers from the Conference in Logic of Knowledge (March 1986).

PREREQUISITIES: Basic Background in logic and complexity
( 509 is enough) and AI (Intro to AI)

METHOD OF EVALUATION: Homeworks and Final "Take Home" Exam

TIME: I will announce the time and the
place of the first meeting on the bboard on january,27.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************