Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 85 23:07:11 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a022440; 30 Oct 85 17:23 EST
Date: Wed 30 Oct 1985 10:29-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #159
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Wed, 30 Oct 85 22:53 EST

AIList Digest           Wednesday, 30 Oct 1985    Volume 3 : Issue 159

Today's Topics:
  Queries - AI and Cognitive Psych in India & Statistical Expert Systems,
  Correction - BUG-LISPM@MIT-MC,
  Knowledge Representation - Text Understanding,
  Applications - LISP-Machine Tutors,
  Project - GUIDON-2

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 85 05:33:46 pst
From: gluck@SU-PSYCH (Mark Gluck)
Subject: Query: Info wanted on AI & Cognitive Psych in India

I'm trying to collect information on scientists in India who
are interested in--or doing research in--the areas of Artificial
Intelligence or Cognitive Psychology. If you know of any such
people or of any releveant research centers or Indian AI
associations, I would be grateful if you could pass this information
on to me at: gluck%su-psych@sumex-aim. To anyone interested
in learning more about the Indian "Cognitive Science" community, I'd
be happy to forward the collected information.
                    -Mark Gluck
                     Dept. of Psychology-SU
                     Stanford, CA  94305

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 85 15:16:37 PDT
From: Stuart Crawford <GA.SLC@Forsythe>
Subject: Statistical Expert Systems

           [Forwarded from the AI-ED list by Laws@SRI-AI.]

  I am interested in obtaining pointers to recent references regarding
  the known pros and cons of using pure statistical approaches to
  medical diagnosis (such as the use of classification and regression
  trees) as opposed to expert systems approaches.  In particular, I
  am interested in any literature discussing the possible use of
  the combined use of such approaches.  For example, using
  classification trees to help with the fine tuning of production
  rules, or using classification rules to augment current knowledge
  bases.  I know much more about the statistical approaches than the
  ai approaches, but it seems that some interdisciplanary technique
  might be fruitful.

                                 Stuart Crawford

  [Bob Blum's RX/RADIX work at Stanford is the best reference I
  can suggest.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 85 10:50 EST
From: Christopher Garrigues <[email-masked]>
Subject: BUG-LISPM@MIT-MC

In a recent AILIST digest, a recommendation was made that people
interested in information on Symbolics Lisp Machine Information could
join both [email-masked] and [email-masked].

The first is true.  SLUG is the Symbolics Lisp Users Group and is
exactly what it sounds like.

The second is not true.  BUG-LISPM@MIT-MC is where MIT users send their
bug-reports to Symbolics and is exactly what that sounds like.

The volume of requests to BUG-LISPM-REQUEST@MIT-MC got to the point
that Symbolics Home Office Software Support (HOSS@SCRC-STONY-BROOK) has
been added to that list.

I believe that the confusion arose in the fact that MIT like most
sites, allows LOCAL users to be on the bug mailing lists.  In this case,
local users are those who are students, faculty or otherwise associated
with MIT.

To subsume the purpose that BUG-LISPM@MIT-MC has for writing on,
Symbolics customers with software contracts should send mail to
[email-masked].  If non-contract customers send legitimate
bug reports to HOSS, we will note the report and forward it to the
appropriate developers.

As a source to read from, I believe there has been some discussion on
the SLUG list of developing a second list for discussion of bugs and/or
problems users have encountered along with bugfixes.  You'll have to
contact SLUG for futher information on that subject.

I apologise for taking up the space on AILIST for a non-AI oriented
entry, but since the overflow of traffic to BUG-LISPM-REQUEST@MIT-MC
started here, I thought I should go to the source.

Thanks for the audience,

Chris Garrigues
Symbolics Home Office Software Support
(7thSon@SCRC-STONY-BROOK)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 85 16:02:23 cst
From: "V.J. Raghavan" <ihnp4!sask!regina!raghavan@UCB-VAX>
Subject: Text Understanding

          [Excerpted from the IRList Digest by Laws@SRI-AI.]

[This year's Montreal ACM SIGIR Conference on Information Retrieval
had many interesting papers.  A file, in "SMART" form, of the
abstracts, was typed in at Univ.  of Regina and edited at Virginia
Tech.  Order info for proceedings is: Proc. of the Eighth Annual Int.
ACM SIGIR Conf. on R&D in Inf.  Ret., ACM Order No. 606850 -- Ed]

.I 10
.T
Processing Free-Text Input to Obtain a Database of Medical Information
.A
EMILE C. CHI
CAROL FRIEDMAN
NAOMI SAGER
MARGARET S. LYMAN
.W
The Linguistic String Project of New York University has developed computer
programs that convert the information in free-text documents of a technical
specialty into a structured form suitable for mapping into a relational
database.  The processing is based upon the restrictions on the use of
language that are characteristic of the subject matter and the document type.
These restrictions are summarized in a "sublanguage grammar" that provides a
set of word classes and formulas corresponding to the objects and relations
of interest in the domain.  The programs are independent of the particular
sublanguage grammar employed.  The application to narrative patient records
will be described and the applicability of the methods to other domains
discussed.

[...]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 85  8:24:34 EST
From: Bruce Nevin <[email-masked]>
Subject: need for tutors

Re:  response to Cugini and Tatem by [email-masked] (3.153)

This discussion reminds me of the LISP tutor developed at CMU.
A brief search did not turn up the article that I read about it
(John R. Anderson and Brian J. Reiser, The LISP Tutor, BYTE, April 1985),
but I did find a piece to which it referred in its bibliography,
`Minimalist Training' by John M. Carroll, Datamation, Nov. 1, 1984.

Gist is that, of course, the ideal learning situation is me on
one end of a log and Socrates on the other, but who can afford
that, so the CMU folks set out to design a tutor for LISP that
would provide the kind of immediate feedback at arbitrary depth
that a human tutor would.  And apparently with considerable
success.

Reference to a similar effort appeared in a talk by Pirolli at UCB last
September 24 (according to Digest # 3.127)

Since we can't `get Tatem to hang out over there for about three months'
for all the `over theres' that there are, cloning software versions of
his familiarity with LISP machines would seem to be the right answer.

        Bruce Nevin
        [email-masked]

        BBN Communications
        33 Moulton Street
        Cambridge, MA 02238
        (617) 497-3992

------------------------------

Date: Fri 25 Oct 85 13:40:35-PDT
From: Mark Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: GUIDON-2 Project

           [Forwarded from the AI-ED list by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Here's some information on the GUIDON project, including references:

Mark Richer, Oct. 25th, 1985

The GUIDON project is an applied AI research project at the Knowledge
Systems Laboratory, Computer Science Department, Stanford University.
This project is investigating strategies for teaching diagnostic
reasoning (specifically, medical diagnosis) using computers and
knowledge-based systems technology. Part of the effort in this project
has been to extend the capabilities of KB systems technology for the
purpose of explanation and instruction.  NEOMYCIN, a knowledge-based
diagnostic consultation system, has been implemented and is the
foundation for a new series of instructional programs, collectively
called GUIDON-2.  These programs are substantially different in design
than the original GUIDON tutoring system that worked in conjunction
with EMYCIN (e.g., MYCIN) systems.  The director of the project is
William J. Clancey, Ph.D., Senior Research Associate, Computer Science
Department, Stanford University.  There are about a dozen people
associated with this project at present including a physician.  Below
is a list of references that might be of interest to people doing work
in computer-based instruction.  Papers that are listed as HPP or KSL
technical reports are available by writing or calling Knowledge Systems
Laboratory, 701 Welch Road, Bldg. C, Palo Alto, CA 94304, (415)
497-3444.  STAN-CS papers (I think) are available through the Computer
Science Department, Stanford University, Stanford CA 94305.

WARNING:  Do not send requests for papers to me; I'm afraid I will get
swamped. Try to find the reference yourself if it was published,
otherwise request it directly by calling or mailing to KSL or Stanford
CS. (KSL is part of the CS Dept, but we are  housed in a separate
building at present and we maintain our series of technical reports.)
Thank you.

References:  [these are not in any particular order]

Clancey, W.J. (1979) Transfer of rule-based expertise through a
tutorial dialogue. Computer Science Doctoral Dissertation, Stanford
University, NOT Available as a tech report. Revised version, MIT
Press, in preparation.

Clancey, W.J. (1979) Tutoring rules for guiding a case method
dialogue. Int J of Man-Machine Studies, 11, 25-49. Also in Intelligent
Tutoring Systems, eds. Sleeman and Brown, Academic Press, London,
1982.

Clancey, W.J.  (1982)   Overview of GUIDON.
        Journal of Computer-Based Instruction,
        Summer 1983, Volume 10, Numbers 1 & 2, pages 8-15.
        Also in The Handbook of Artificial Intelligence, Volume 2,
        eds. Barr and Feigenbaum, Kaufmann, Los Altos.
        Also STAN-CS-93-997, HPP-83-42.

Richer, M. and Clancey, W. J. (1985)
        GUIDON-WATCH: A graphic interface for browsing and viewing a
        knowledge-based system.  To appear in IEEE Computer Graphics
        and Applications, November 1985, Also KSL 85-20.

Clancey, W.J., Bennett, J., and Cohen, P.  (1979)
        Applications-oriented AI Research: Education.
        In The Handbook of Artificial Intelligence, Chapter IX,
        Volume 2, eds. Barr and Feigenbaum, Kaufmann, Los Altos.
        Also STAN-CS-79-749, HPP-79-17.

Clancey, W.J., Shortliffe, E.H., and Buchanan, B.G.  (1979)
        Intelligent computer-aided instruction for medical diagnosis.
        In Readings in Medical Artificial Intelligence: The First
        Decade, eds. W.J. Clancey and E.H. Shortliffe, Addison-Wesley, 1984.
        Also Proceedings of the Third Annual Symposium on
        Computer Applications in Medical Care,
        Silver Spring, Maryland, October 1979, pps. 175-183.
        Also HPP 80-10.

Clancey, W.J. and Letsinger, R. (1981)
        NEOMYCIN: Reconfiguring a rule-based expert system for
        application to teaching.  In Readings in Medical Artificial
        Intelligence: The First Decade,
        eds. W.J. Clancey and E.H. Shortliffe, Addison-Wesley, 1984.
        Proceedings of Seventh IJCAI, 1981, pps. 829-826.
        Also STAN-CS-82-908, HPP 81-2.

Clancey, W.J. (1981)
        Methodology for Building an Intelligent Tutoring System.
        In Method and Tactics in Cognitive Science,
        eds. Kintsch, Miller, and Polson, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates,
        Hillsdale, New Jersey, 1984.
        Also STAN-CS-81-894, HPP 81-18.

Clancey, W.J. (1984)
        Acquiring, representing, and evaluating a competence model of
        diagnosis.
        In Contributions to the Nature of Expertise, eds. Chi,
        Glaser, and Farr, in preparation.
        Also HPP-84-2.

Clancey, W.J. (1979)
        Dialogue Management for Rule-based Tutorials.
        Proceedings of Sixth IJCAI, 1979, pps. 155-161.

London, B. & Clancey W. J. (1982)
        Plan recognition strategies in student modeling: Prediction
        and description.
        Proceedings of AAAI-82, pps. 335-338.
        Also STAN-CS-82-909, HPP 82-7.

Clancey, W.J. (1983)
        Communication, Simulation, and Intelligent Agents:
        Implications of Personal Intelligent Machines for Medical
        Education.
        Proceedings of AAMSI-83, pps. 556-560.
        Also HPP-83-3.

Many people have influenced our thinking, but in particular the
following paper may be helpful to understand our current thinking with
regard to computer-based learning:

@Inproceedings[BROWN83,
        key="Brown"
        ,Author="Brown, J.S."
        ,title="Process versus product--a perspective on tools for
communal and informal electronic learning"
        ,booktitle="Education in the Electronic Age"
        ,note="Proceedings of a conference sponsored by the
        Educational Broadcasting Corporation, WNET/Thirteen Learning
        Lab, NY, pp. 41-58 ."
        ,month=July
        ,year=1983]

        The work described in this paper has its home at the XEROX
Palo Alto Reasearch Center (PARC).

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************