Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 85 08:36:52 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a022810; 3 Sep 85 13:17 EDT
Date: Tue  3 Sep 1985 09:26-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #117
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Wed, 4 Sep 85 08:25 EST

AIList Digest            Tuesday, 3 Sep 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 117

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - Force Dynamics (UCB) & Term Rewriting Systems (SMU) &
    PARLOG (CMU) & Temporal Logic (UT) &
    Speech Recognition (BBN) & NL Processing (BBN),
  Conference - Intelligent Simulation Environments

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 85 14:12:49 PDT
From: chertok%ucbcogsci@Berkeley (Paula Chertok)
Subject: Seminar - Force Dynamics (UCB)

                    BERKELEY COGNITIVE SCIENCE PROGRAM
                                Fall 1985
                  Cognitive Science Seminar -- IDS 237A

      TIME:                Tuesday, September 3, 11:00 - 12:30
      PLACE:               240 Bechtel Engineering Center
      (followed by)
      DISCUSSION:          12:30 - 1:00 in 200 Building T-4

      SPEAKER:          Leonard Talmy, UCB
      TITLE:            ``Force Dynamics in Language and Thought''

      A semantic category that  has  previously  been  neglected  in
      linguistic  research  is that of ``force dynamics''--how enti-
      ties interact with respect to force.   Included  here  is  the
      exertion  of force, resistance to such a force, the overcoming
      of such a resistance, blockage of  the  expression  of  force,
      removal of such blockage, and the like.

           Though scarcely recognized before, force dynamics figures
      significantly  in  language structure.  It is, first of all, a
      generalization over the traditional notion  of  ``causative'':
      it  places naturally within a single framework not only `caus-
      ing', but also `letting,' as well as a set of notions not nor-
      mally considered in the same context.

           Force dynamics, furthermore,  plays  a  structuring  role
      across a range of language levels.  First, it has direct gram-
      matical  representation.   In  English,  such   representation
      appears not only in subsets of conjunctions, prepositions, and
      other closed-class elements but, most significantly,  also  as
      the  semantic  category  that  the  modal system as a whole is
      dedicated to expressing.   Force  dynamic  patterns  are  also
      incorporated in open-class lexical items, and bring numbers of
      these together into systematic relationships.   Lexical  items
      involved in this way refer not only to physical force interac-
      tions but, by metaphoric extension, also to psychological  and
      social  interactions,  conceived  in  terms  of  psycho-social
      ``pressures.''  In addition, force dynamic principles  can  be
      seen to operate in discourse that is involved with persuasion.
      Such rhetorical interchange (including efforts to exhort, con-
      vince,  or  logically  demonstrate) involves the deployment of
      points to argue for and against conflicting positions.

           Force dynamics is a major conceptual  organizing  system,
      constituting one of four major ``imaging'' systems that I have
      developed which provide an integrated semantic  schematization
      of  a referent scene.  Cognitively, it corresponds to concepts
      within ``naive  physics''  as  well  as  to  ones  in  ``naive
      (social)  psychology,''  and  can  be  contrasted  with modern
      scientific concepts in these domains.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Aug 1985 07:42-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminars - Rewrite Rules (SMU)

Dr. Franz Winkler
Department of Computer and Information Science
University of Delaware

Improvements of the Completion Algorithm for Bases of Polynomial Ideals
and Rewrite Rule Systems

Time: 1:00 - 2:00 PM Wednesday, September 4, 1985
Place: 315 Science Information Center, SMU, Dallas, Texas

The Knuth-Bendix completion procedure for rewrite rule systems is one
of wide applicability in symbolic and algebraic computation.  Attempts
to reduce the complexity of this completion algorithm are reported in
the literature.  Already in their seminal 1967 paper Knuth and Bendix
have suggested to keep all the rules intereduced during the execution
of the algorithm.  Huet has presented a version of the completion
algorithm in which every rewrite rule is kept in reduced form with
respect to all the other rules of the system.  Using an idea of
Buchberger's for the completion of bases of polynomial ideals we have
proposed in 1983 a criterion for detecting "unnecessary" critical
pairs.  If a critical pair is recognized as unnecesary then one need
not apply the costly process of computing normal forms to it.  Only
recently have we given a proof that these approaches can be combined.
I.e., it is is possible to keep all the rewrite rules interreduced
and still use a criterion for eliminating unnecesary critical
pairs.

_______

Speaker: Leo Bachmair
Department of Computer Science
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Topic: Termination of Rewrite Rule Systems

Time: 3:00-4:00 P. M.
Wednesday, September 4, 1985
Place: 315 Science Information Center, SMU, Dallas, Texas

Applications of rewrite rule systems to programming languages,
specifications of abstract data types, theorem proving, algebraic
simplification, etc. often depend on the termination of the given
systems and various termination methods have been developed in recent
years.  Termination, in general, is a nondecidable property for rewrite
systems, however.

We will describe several termination methods.  Of particular practical
importance are methods based on the use of simplification orderings.
These include orderings that extend a given partial ordering on operator
symbols (a precedence ordering) to terms.  Examples are the
recursive path ordering and the recursive decomposition ordering.
Other techniques apply to rewrite systems satisfying certain syntactic
restrictions like linearity.  We will also describe recent results on
termiantion of associative-commutative rewrite systems.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Aug 1985 1043-EDT
From: Lydia Defilippo <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - PARLOG (CMU)

Keith Clark will visit CMU on August 29.
He is a reader and senior research fellow at Imperial College,
London.  He has been actively engaged in logic programming research
since 1975.

Speaker:  Keith Clark
          Imperial College, London
Date:     Thursday, August 29
Time:     3:30 pm
Place:    8220
Topic:    PARLOG: Parallel Programming in Logic

      PARLOG is a Horn clause logic programming language designed
      for efficient parallel implementation, including both and-
      parallel and or-parallel evaluation mechanisms.  The talk
      will include a summary of the history of parallel logic
      programming.  Then the features of PARLOG will be presented
      by means of examples; and some aspects of the implementation
      outlined.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 85 14:06:18 cdt
From: [email-masked] (Julie Barrow)
Subject: Seminar - Temporal Logic (UT)

                       University of Texas
                  Computer Sciences Department
                           COLLOQUIUM

SPEAKER:  Amir Pnueli
                 Weizmann Institute

TITLE:     Temporal Logic - Global vs. Compositional

DATE:     Thursday, August 29, 1985
PLACE:    PAI 3.14
TIME:      4-5 p.m.

                       We present the general  framework  of  Temporal
               Logic  as  a formalism for specifications, verification
               and develpment of reactive  systems.   Recent  enhance-
               ments required by a compositional approach will be dis-
               cussed.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Aug 1985 16:08-EDT
From: AHAAS at BBNG.ARPA
Subject: Seminars - Speech Recognition and NL Processing (BBN)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

  There will be an AI seminar on Monday August 26 at 10:30 in the second floor
conference room at 10 Moulton St. Jean-Francois Cloarec and Michel Gilloux
of Centre Nationale d'etudes des Telecommunications (CNET), Lannion, France
will speak. Their abstract:

  SERAC : An Expert System for Acoustic-Phonetic Speech Recognition

We present a knowledge based approach to speech  recognition  at  the
phonetic  level.  SERAC  is  a  production system generating phonetic
hypotheses for continuously spoken french sentences.
We  give  the  motivations for using such an approach and we describe
the knowledge representation language.
Then  we  present  the  knowledge  base  and  report some preliminary
results.

There will be another talk by Karen Sparck Jones the next morning,
August 27th, at 10:00 in the 2nd floor conference room. Her abstract:

             Natural Language Processing Research
                            at the
         Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge

The talk will outline recent and current work at the
Laboratory. This includes both research with a semantic
stimulus and research driven by parsing issues. The semantic
work is concerned with interpretation problems like reference
resolution, and with techniques for representation and
inference involving general as well as domain knowledge, in
the context of such tasks as database query and construction,
paraphrase, and indexing. The parsing work includes projects
on grammar construction, morphological analysis, and the use
of a large machine-readable dictionary, and research on finite
state techniques for compositional interpretation and on
robust phrase-based parsing strategies.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Aug 1985 07:37-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Intelligent Simulation Environments

1986 SCS MultiConference January 23-25 1985
Bahia Hotel
San Diego, California

Intelligent Simulation Environments

An expert system for simulation model selection
Delphi-based distributed expert decision making
Expert systems and user decisionf in simulation studies
Artificial Intelligence and Rapid Prototyping

Professional Development Seminar
An Introduction to Prolog
Instructor: Dr. Heimo H. Adeslsberger

For more info write to:
SCS, P. O. Box 17900 San Diego, CA 92117 (619) 277-3888

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************