Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 85 00:05:50 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a022041; 28 Aug 85 13:52 EDT
Date: Wed 28 Aug 1985 09:12-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #115
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Wed, 28 Aug 85 23:48 EST

AIList Digest           Wednesday, 28 Aug 1985    Volume 3 : Issue 115

Today's Topics:
  Seminar - Mathematical Learning (MIT),
  Conferences - Symposium on Factory Automation and Robotics &
    Simulation, Automation, and Robotics &
    Program of Expert Systems in Government Symposium

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 85 09:59:20 EDT
From: Andy diSessa <ADIS at MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Seminar - Mathematical Learning (MIT)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

Marlene Kliman will talk about her work on balancing this Weds.,
August 28, 4 PM, third floor conference room.

      Mathematical Knowledge Underlying Performance on the Balance Scale

  Interviews of elementary school children using a balance scale show
that balancing is a complex domain involving many levels of competence
and understanding.  Performance on set balancing tasks may not always
be indicative of underlying knowledge, as children frequently display
special-case knowledge.  As children experiment with the balance
scale, they not only find new pieces of knowledge, but they also begin
to find connections among pieces of knowledge.  This talk will present
an analysis of mathematical knowledge underlying performance on the
balance scale in terms of the kinds of things children do and
generalizations they make when exploring the balance scale, strategies
children find natural and helpful, and facets of balancing that
children find particularly intriguing.  Educational implications of
this analysis will be discussed.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Aug 85 10:33 EDT
From: (Herb Bernstein) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Symposium on Fact. Aut. & Robotics

Reminder:
  The Symposium on Factory Automation and Robotics
  A Forum for Industrial and Academic Robotics Engineers and Scientists
      will be held 9-11 September 1985
      by the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, NYU
      in honor of Marvin Denicoff
      sponsored by the National Science Foundation
Registration $35 ($25 for NYU faculty and staff), in advance to
      NYU/CIMS Symposium on Fac. Aut. and Robotics
      Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
      251 Mercer Street, New York, N.Y. 10012
        Attn:  Herbert J. Bernstein
Or at the meeting, Eisner and Lubin Auditorium, Loeb Student Center,
566 LaGuardia Place (corner of LaGuardia Place and Wash. Sq. South).
For more information or to RSVP, mail to yaya@nyu (on ARPANET), or
call 212-533-3363 or 212-460-7444.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Aug 1985 21:09-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference Announcement

I am relaying this from printed material received here for the benefit
of those who might be interested.  I am not connected with the
conference.

Society of Computer Simulation
P. O. Box 17900 San Diego California 92117-7900
Telephone 619-277-3888

Southwestern Region Simualtion presents their Fall 85 Technical Meeting

Theme: Simulation and Automation and Robotics

Dates: October 24-25 1985 Thursday and Friday

Location: Fort Worth Texas

Cost: $25 registration fee

Keynote Address: Robotics and Intelligent Systems: An Overview by George
A. Bekey

------------------------------

Date: 28 Aug 85 08:21:59 EDT (Wed)
From: Marshall D. Abrams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Program of Expert Systems in Government Symposium

Following is a list of all the sessions and papers for the Expert
Systems in Government Symposium to be held October 24-25, 1985 at the
Tysons Westpark Hotel, McLean, VA. The symposium is sponsored by the
MITRE Corporation and the IEEE Computer Society. Two one-day tutorials
are scheduled for October 23rd: "Concepts of Knowledge Engineering" by
Kamran Parsaye and "Expert Systems Development" by Elaine Kant.
Additional information is available from abrams@mitre. A registration
form follows the session listing.

ENGINEERING APPLICATIONS

Vice-Chairman:  Prof. Mary Lou Maher, Carnegie-Mellon University

Session-Chairman:  Dr. Duvvuru Sriram, Carnegie-Mellon University

"A Rule-Based System for Masonry Failures," S.M. Cornick, Carlton
University

"Development of An Intelligent Interface To An Interactive Design
Model," R.A. Harris, Vanderbilt University

"Micro Computer Based Expert Systems In  Engineering:   An  Exam-
ple," Nitin Pandit, D.  Sriram, Carnegie-Mellon University

"LASER:  A Programming Environment For Building High  Performance
Expert Systems," Dr. Y.V. Reddy, West Virginia University

"An  Expert  Tutor  for  Rigid  Body  Mechanics:  Athena   Cats--
Macavity,"  John  H.  Slater,  Robert B.P. Petrossiam, S.  Shyam-
sunder, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

MISSION PLANNING

Vice_Chairman:  Prof. Mark Fox, Carnegie-Mellon University

Sessions_Chairman:  Dr. Robert Milne, Pentagon

"Management of AI System Software Development For Military  Deci-
sion  Aids," Kerry Gates, John Lemmer, PAR Technology Corporation

"Expert Mission  Planning  and  Replanning  Scheduling  System,"
G.B.   Hankins, J.W. Jordan, J.L. Katz, A.M. Mulvehill, The MITRE
Corporation

"Mission  Planning  Within  the  Framework  of   the   Blackboard
Model,"Glen Pearson, FMC Corporation

"Developing a Microcomputer Based  Intelligent  Project  Planning
System,"  Suzanne Bradley, Ruth Buys, Amr ElSawy, Alan Sipes, The
MITRE Corporation

PANEL:  FRONTIERS OF KBES:  PRO & CON

MODERATOR:  Dr. Marvin Denicoff, Thinking Machine, Inc.

Panelists:

PRO  Prof. Chandrasekaran, Ohio State University  PRO   Dr.  Neil
Pundit, DEC

CON  Dr. Gary Martins,  Intelligent  S/W,  Inc.   CON   Dr.  John
Benoit, MITRE

MIDDLE   Dr. Robert Milne, Pentagon MIDDLE   Dr. Kamran  Parsaye,
Intelliware

UNCERTAINTY MANAGEMENT

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. North Fowler, RADC

Sessions_Chairman:  Dr. Piero Bonissone, G.E.

"An     Application     of     Fuzzy     Reasoning      to      A
Confirmation/Disconfirmation  Decision  Making Algorithm," Joseph
A. Karakowski, U.S. Army

"An Expert System Based on a  Stochastic  Parallel  Network,"  V.
Venkatasubramanian, Northeastern University

"Data Analysis Assisted by an Uncertainty Varying Expert System,"
Petr Hajek, Fred Neil Springsteel

"In Introduction to Fact Based Model Expert  Systems,"  Sing  Chi
Koo, Software Intelligence Lab, Inc.

NETWORK MANAGEMENT

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Richard Martin, MCC

Session_Chairman:  Dr. Greg Vesonder, AT&T Bell Laboratories

"Specifications of a Knowledge System  for  Packet-Switched  Data
Network Topological Design," Chelsea White, III, Edward A. Sykes,
University of Virginia

"Telecommunications Resource Allocation  A  Knowledge-Based  Sys-
tem," Dai Chuang, Booz Allen & Hamilton

"Compass:  An Expert System for  Telephone  Switch  Maintenance,"
Shri  K. Goyal, David S.  Prerau, Alan V. Lemmon, Alan Gunderson,
Robert Reinke, GTE Laboratories, Inc.

"NEMESYS:  An Expert System for Fighting Congestion in  the  At&T
Network,"  Dr.  Richard  C.  Windecker,  Stephen M. Guattery, Dr.
Francisco J. Villarreal, AT&T Bell Labs, Inc.

INTELLIGENT TUTORING SYSTEM

Vice_Chairman:  Prof Saj-Nicole Joni, Yale

Session_Chairman:   Prof.  Beverly  Woolf,  University  of   Mas-
sachusetts

"Intelligent Tutoring Using the Integrated Diagnostic Model:   An
Expert  System for Diagnosis and Repair," Howard R. Smith, Pamela
K. Fink, John C. Lusth, Southwest Research Institute

"An Informal Programming Language," Jeffery Bonar, William  Weil,
University of Pittsburg

"Understanding Discourse Conventions in Tutoring," Beverly Woolf,
University of Massachusetts

"PRUST:  An Automatic System Program  Debugger,"  Lewis  Johnson,
ISI

NEW DIRECTIONS IN KNOWLEDGE ACQUISITION

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Bruce Bullock, Teknowledge

Session_Chairman:  Ethan Scarl, The MITRE Corporation

"Artificial Intelligence for C:3:I:  The Design  and  Development
of  a  Prototype Causal Schema Knowledge-Based System," Gerard W.
Hopple, Stanley M. Halpin, Defense Systems, Inc.

"Capturing Domain Primitives for Knowledge Engineering," R. Peter
Bonasso, The MITRE Corporation

"A Shared Knowledge Base for Independent Problem Solving Agents,"
Susan E. Conry, R.A.  Meyer, J.E. Searleman, Clarkson College

"Research in the Applications  of  Expert  Systems  at  the  NASA
Ames-Dryden  Flight  Research Facility," Eugene L. Duke, Victoria
A. Regeniek, NASA Ames Research Center

INTELLIGENT ANALYSIS

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Morten Hirschberg,  Army  Ballistic  Research
Laboratories

Session_Chairman:  Major Russ Frew, U.S. Army Intelligence Center
& School

"XCOR--A Knowledge-Based System for Correction  of  Oceanographic
Reports,"  Vincent G.  Sigillito, R.F. Wachter, The Johns Hopkins
University

"A Demonstration of An Ocean Surveillance Information Fusion  Ex-
pert  System,"  Elizabeth  H.  Groundwater,  Science Applications
Int., Corporation

"An AI  Technology  Insertion  Experiment  With  Analyst,"  Peter
Bonasso, The MITRE Corporation

"ACES Airborne Communication Expert System: A Proposed Expert Sys-
tem  for  Managing  Airborne Military Communication," Hal Miller-
Jacobs, The MITRE Corporation

"Artificial Intelligence Applications to Intelligence  Analysis,"
Jerald L. Feinstein, Booz Allen & Hamilton, Inc.

PANEL:  INTELLIGENT COMPUTER ASSISTED INSTRUCTION

MODERATOR:  Dr. Jeff Bonar, LRDC/University of Pittsburg

Panelists:

1.   Dr. Beverly Woolf, University of Massachusetts.

2.   Dr. Joseph Psotka, PERI-IC, Army Research Institute

3.   Prof Walker Schneider, University of Illinois

4.   Prof. T. Govindraj, Georgia Instute of Technology

5.   Dr. Stelan Ohlsson, University of Pittsburg

SOFTWARE

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Santosh Chokhani, The MITRE Corporation

Session_Chairman:  Dr. Robert Ensor, AT&T Bell Laboratories

"Automation  of  Programming:   the  ISFI  Experiments,"  Richard
Brown, The MITRE Corporation

"Mutations  &  Their  Consequences;  A  Study  of   Non-Monotonic
Behavior,"  Gary  A. Cleveland, Richard Brown, The MITRE Corpora-
tion

"Designing Expert Systems for Ease of Change," Judith N.  Frosch-
er, Robert J.K. Jacob, Department of the Navy

"Arrowsmith-P A Prototype Expert System for Software  Engineering
Management,:  Victor R.  Basili, Connie Loggia Ramsey, University
of Maryland

LANGUAGE TOOLS AND TECHNIQUES

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Thomas London, AT&T Bell Laboratories

Session_Chairman:  Dr. Kamran Parsaye, Intelliware, Inc.

"A Multicriteria Model to Select An Expert System Shell,"  Ernest
H. Forman, Thomas J.  Nagy, The George Washington University

"Guess/1:  A General Purpose Expert  Systems  Shell,"  Newton  S.
Lee,  John  W.  Roach,  Virginia  Polytechnic Institute and State
University

"Prolog for Expert Systems:  An Evaluation," Richard Helm,  Cath-
erine Lassez, Kim Marriott, University of Melbourne

"Evaluating the Existing Tools for Developing Expert  Systems  In
PC  Environment,"  Animesh  Karna and Amitabh Karna , Information
Technical Institutes

WEAPONS SYSTEMS:  ADAPTIVE CONTROL

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Morton Hirschberg, Army  Ballistics  Research
Laboratories

Session_Chairman:   Dr.  Morton   Hirschberg,   Army   Ballistics
Research Laboratories

"A Numerical Symbolic Expert System in Computational Fluid Dynam-
ics," Rick Briggs, NASA Ames Research Center

"RICA:  An Expert System for Radar Image Classification," Deborah
T. Franks, Software Architecture & Engineering, Inc.

"Concepts for a Tactical Fire Control Decision Aid,"  Richard  C.
Kaste, U.S. Army Ballistic Research Laboratory

"An Experimental Expert Weapon Direction System,"  R.L.  Stewart,
D.R. Ousborne, The Johns Hopkins University

PANEL:  NETWORK MANAGEMENT

MODERATOR:  Dr. Kamal Karna, The MITRE Corporation

Panelists:

1.   Dr. Shri Goyal, GTE Labs

2.   Dr. Richard Wolf, AT&T Bell Labs

3.   Ms. Alice Van Domelen, GTE Sprint

4.   Mr. Lucien Capone, Jr., Vice President, Booz Allen &  Hamil-
ton

SYSTEMS ENGINEERING

Vice_Chairman:  Ms. Diane Tosh, E Systems, Melpar Division

Session_Chairman:  Ray Dolgert, Softtech, Inc.

"An Expert System Prototype For  Aiding  in  the  Development  of
Software  Functional  Requirements  For  NASA  Goddard's  Command
Management System," Jay Liebowitz, The George Washington  Univer-
sity

"Comments on the Procurement & Development  of  Expert  Systems,"
David L. Hall, HRB Singer

"Distributed Intelligence In Alternative  Analysis  for  Computor
Systems Selection & Configuration," Fiorin T. Zeviar, Boeing Com-
puter Services Co.

"Expert Systems & Robotics for the Space  Station:   Design  Con-
siderations,"  Barry  G.   Silverman,  V.S. Moustakis, The George
Washington University

INTELLIGENT INFORMATION RETRIEVAL-1

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Roy Rada, National Library of Medicine

Session_Chairman:  Dr. Brian McCune, Advanced Information & Deci-
sion Systems

"A Rule-Oriented Methodology for Constructing  a  Knowledge  Base
from  Natural Language Documents," Dr. Stan Matwin, University of
Ottawa

"Understanding Technical Documents and Graphics," R.P.  Futrelle,
University of Illinois

"Information Retrieval Techniques In An Expert System for  Foster
Care,"  Sheila G. Winett, Edward A. Fox, Virginia Polytechnic In-
stitute

"Cognitive  Graphing   &   The   Representation   of   Biomedical
Knowledge,"  G.  Matthew Bonham, George J. Nozicka, F.N. Stokman,
The American University

ELECTRONIC WARFARE

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Morton Hirschberg,  Army  Ballistic  Research
Laboratories

Sessions_Chairman:  Mr. Joseph Mitola, Advanced Information & De-
cision Systems

"Using Artificial Intelligence Techniques in  a  War  Gaming  En-
vironment,"  Gregory B. White, Stephen E. Cross, Air Force Insti-
tute of Technology

"Evidential Reasoning for Electronic Warfare Threat  Assessment,"
Dr. Tom Garvey, SRI International

"Object Oriented Modeling in Electronic Warfare, Jim  Cunningham,
Advanced Information & Decision Systems

"Information Management Expert Systems, Capt Robert Milne, Penta-
gon

DESIGN, MONITORING & CONTROL

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Eric Braude, RCA

Session_Chairman:  Dr. Peter Politakis, DEC

"A Knowledge-Based System for  Transit  Bus  Maintenance,"  Peter
Wood, The MITRE Corporation

"Reactor Safety Assessment System--A Situation Assessment Aid for
USNRC  Emergency  Response,"  Michael A. Bray, Idaho National En-
gineering Laboratory

"Artificial Intelligence System for Failure Detection &  Monitor-
ing  in  Electronics  & Communication," L.F. Pau, Battelle Insti-
tute, Geneva Laboratories

"TITAN:  An Expert System to Assist in Troubleshooting the  Texas
Instruments  990  Minicomputer  System," Joe D. Stuart, Steven D.
Pardue, Radian Corporation

INTELLIGENT INFORMATION RETRIEVAL-2

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Roy Rada, National Library of Medicine

Session_Chairman:  Dr. Roy Rada, National Library of Medicine

"An Expert System for Document Retrieval," Bruce Croft, Roger  H.
Thompson, University of Massachusetts

"Building A Knowledge Base Statistically," Hafedh Mili, Roy Rada,
George Washington University

"The Application of an Expert System for Information Retrieval at
the  National  Archives," Daniel DeSalvo, Jay Liebowitz, American
Management Systems, Inc.

"Intelligent Information Retrieval:  Issues in  User  Modelling,"
Robert R. Korfhage, So.  Methodist University

MEDICINE-1

Vice_Chairman:  Prof. B. Chandrasekaran,

Session_Chairmen:  Dr. R. Smith, Ohio State University

"A Deductive Inference & Associative Memory Retrieval," James  A.
Reggia, University of Maryland

"An Expert Advisory System for Primary  Eye  Care  in  Developing
Countries,"  Jack  H..   Ostroff,  Chandler  R.  Dawson,  John  K.
Kastner, Sholom Weiss, Casimir A.  Kulikowski,  Kevin  B.   Kern,
Rutgers University

"Knowledge Representation for Knowledge Directed Data Retrieval,"
Jon Sticklen, Ohio State University

"Mapping  Medical  Knowledge  Into   the   Conceptual   Structure
Representation Language," Thomas C.  Bylander, Ohio State Univer-
sity

FLEXIBLE AUTOMATION

Vice_Chairman:  Prof. Tulin Mangir, UCLA

Session_Chairman:  Roger Duncan, The MITRE Corporation

"The Evolution of an Expert System for Process Planning,  Roy  S.
Freedman, Hazeltine Corporation

"Flexible Automation for  Printed  Circuit  Board  Assembly,  Dr.
Robert  J.  Stewart, Westinghouse Manufacturing Systems and Tech-
nology Center

"Sensor-Based Robot  Programming  for  Automated  Assembly,"  Dr.
Shaheen Ahmed, Purdue University

MEDICINE-2

Vice_Chairman:  Prof. Sholom Weiss, Rutgers University

Session_Chairmen:  Dr. R. Smith, Ohio State University

"RED:  A Classification &  Abductive  Inference  Expert  System,"
Jack W. Smith, Jr., Ohio State University

"Improved Retrieval Through Traversal of a Knowledge-Base," Ellen
Bicknell-Brown, Roy Rada, National Institutes of Health

"Semantic Network Representations for Neurological Diagnosis," S.
Srihari, Xiang, Chatkow, Shapiro, SUNY at Buffalo

"An Expert System for Interpretation of  Cranial  C.T.  Scan  Im-
ages," R. Kremar, S.  Srihari, SUNY at Buffalo

ENVIRONMENT & WEATHER

Vice_Chairman:  Dr. Robert Kay, National  Oceanic  &  Atmospheric
Administration

Session_Chairman:  Dr. Jude Franklin, Planning Research  Corpora-
tion

"Expert Systems for Environmental Regulation," Susan  G.  Hadden,
Chandler Stolp, University of Texas at Austin

"A Demonstration Expert System For Weather  Forecasting,"  George
Swetnam, The MITRE Corporation

"An Expert System for Water Quality Protection Permits,"  Charles
Spooner, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

"The Potential Role of Artificial Intelligence/Expert Systems  in
the  Warning and Forecast Operations of the National Weather Ser-
vice," Randy I. Racer, John Gaffney, Jr., National  Weather  Ser-
vice

INTELLIGENT INTERFACES

Vice_Chairman:  Prof. Saj-Nicole Joni, Yale University

Session_Chairman:   Prof.  Beverly  Woolf,  University  of   Mas-
sachusetts

"A Knowledge Based Lab Assistant for a Computer Based Instruction
System,"  Larry  Christensen,  Gordon  Stokes, Bill Hays, E. Dale
Coons, Brigham Young University

"The Cognitive Principles Underlying Software Design,"  B.  Adel-
son, Yale University

"Tutoring Expertise:  Human & Otherwise," David Littman, Jeannine
Pinto, Elliot Soloway, Yale University

"Application of Expert Systems to Training," David L. Young, Mys-
tech Associates, Inc.

POLITICS & WELFARE

Vice_Chairman:  Prof. Sholom Weiss, Rutgers University

Session_Chairman:  Prof. Gavan Duffy, University of Texas at Aus-
tin, AMI Micro System

"A Prolog Model of Social  Structure,"  Sanjoy  Banerjee,  Baruch
College

"WEDS Welfare Eligibility Determination System:  An Expert System
in  an  Administrative  Context," Eswaran Subrahmanian, Carnegie-
Mellon University

"Expert  Systems  as   Elite   Foreign   Policy   Advisors:  Some
User/Machine  and Organization/Machine Issues," Howard Tamashiro,
G. Brunk, University of Oklahoma

"A Role for Expert System in  Foreign  Policy  Decision  Making,"
Prof. Stewart Thorson, Dr.  Christie Anderson, Syracuse Universi-
ty

"SYSFIL:  A Generalized Expert System Architecture for Filings,"
Krishan Chhabra, Kamal Karna, The MITRE Corporation

This list of session was compiled 8/20/85 and is subject to further
correction.

send REGISTRATION to:   Expert Systems Symposium
                        IEEE Computer Society
                        1730 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
                        Washington, DC  20036-1903

                prior to 10/1/85        late reg. surcharge
                member  non-member
tutorial        $200    $250            $30
symposium       $120    $160            $30

Give membership #, name, title, company, address, etc.

Blood type is optional (joke).

On-site registration may be limited. Call 202/371-0101 for latest
information on space availability.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************