Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 85 05:30:24 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a001683; 8 Aug 85 20:49 EDT
Date: Thu  8 Aug 1985 13:15-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #105
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 9 Aug 85 05:17 EST

AIList Digest             Friday, 9 Aug 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 105

Today's Topics:
  Reports - Semantic Automata & AI Newsletter from TI,
  Call for Papers - Expert Systems for Engineering,
  Conferences - AI in Engineering Conference &
    Aerospace Applications of AI & Office Information Systems

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed 31 Jul 85 16:53:17-PDT
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Report - Semantic Automata

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                             NEW CSLI REPORT

      Report No. CSLI-85-27, ``Semantic Automata'' by Johan van Benthem,
   has just been published.  This report may be obtained by writing to
   David Brown, CSLI, Ventura Hall, Stanford, CA 94305 or Brown@su-csli.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 7 Aug 85 13:16:35-PDT
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI Newsletter from TI

IEEE Computer reports that:

Texas Instruments has launched the Artificial Intelligence Newsletter
to communicate the potentials, limitations, and progress of AI to
nonspecialists.  First issue presents the menu-based approach to
natural languages and AI briefs.  Available as a public service from
TI Data Systems Group, PO Box 2909, MS 2222, Austin, TX 78769;
(512) 250-6314.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 85 16:23:17 EDT
From: John Kastner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Call for Papers - Expert Systems for Engineering

                           CALL FOR PAPERS

                        IEEE COMPUTER MAGAZINE
                           SPECIAL ISSUE ON
             EXPERT SYSTEMS FOR ENGINEERING APPLICATIONS

     Contributions are  hereby solicited for this  special issue.
     To be considered, 5 copies of  a manuscript must be sent, no
     later than October 1, 1985, addressed to:

                      Se June Hong, Guest Editor
                      IEEE Computer Magazine Special Issue
                      IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center
                      31-206
                      P.O. Box 218
                      Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

     Any paper that is postmarked after the date will be returned
     to the author, unprocessed.

     Further information may be  obtained by contacting the guest
     editor.

     Se June Hong
     ARPAnet: HONG.YKTVMX.IBM-SJ@CSnet-Relay
     914/945-2265

------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 4 August 1985 20:55:27 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Two slots available in AI in Engg. Conf.

There  are  a  couple  of slots open in the TOOLS session of the First
International Conference on AI in Engineering, to be held in  UK  next
April. If your company's framework was used for an engineering application,
here  is  a  good  chance  to present your product. Interested parties
should send mail to me at [email-masked].

Sriram

------------------------------

Date: 2 Aug 85 13:28 PDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference : Aerospace Applications of AI

ACM/SIGART (Dayton, Ohio, Chapter) will hold an AI Conference Sept 16 -
19 (Registration Sept 16, Sessions 17-19) 1985.  Registration fee $225.
Address is
    AAAIC '85, Box 31250, Dayton, Ohio, 45431-0250.
    Phone  513-426-8530

While the name says "aerospace", this is because of the proximity of the
big air base there and because one or two of the sessions deals with
avionics.  Most of the sessions are applicable to AI in general:
Avionics, manufacturing, maintenance, decision support systems, expert
system building tools, programming languages, man-machine interfaces,
and new architectures.  World famous speakers are coming, such as Dr. M.
Stefik, XEROX PARC; Dr. Earl Sacerdoti, Teknowledge, Dr. M. Fox, CMU,
Prof. D. Michie, Univ of Edinburgh,  and many more.

Attendance is limited to 700 people.

Direct inquiries by mail or phone to the address above, or contact
Gerald Matthews, NCR R&D WHQ-5E, Dayton, Ohio, 45479, Phone
513-445-6054.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 85 02:48 EDT
From: Carl Hewitt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Call for papers: OIS-86

        ******************************************************
        *                CALL FOR PAPERS                     *
        *                                                    *
        *             THIRD ACM CONFERENCE ON                *
        *       OFFICE INFORMATION SYSTEMS: OIS-86           *
        *                                                    *
        *                October 6-8, 1986                   *
        *               Biltmore Plaza Hotel                 *
        *                  Providence, RI                    *
        ******************************************************

General Chair:  Carl Hewitt,              Program Chair:  Stanley Zdonik,
                MIT                                       Brown University

Treasurer:  Gerald Barber,                Local Arrangements: Andrea Skarra,
            Gold Hill Computers                               Brown University

An interdisciplinary conference on issues relating to office
information systems sponsored by ACM/SIGOA in cooperation with Brown
University and the MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
Submissions from the following fields are solicited:

Anthropology                           Artificial Intelligence
Cognitive Science                      Computer Science
Economics                              Management Science
Psychology                             Sociology

Topics appropriate for this conference include (but are not restricted
to) the following:

Technologies including Display, Voice, Telecommunications, Print, etc.

Human Interfaces
                                  Deployment and Evaluation
System Design and Construction
                                  Goals and Values
Knowledge Bases and Reasoning
                                  Distributed Services and Applications
Indicators and Models
                                  Needs and Organizational Factors
Impact of Computer Integrated Manufacturing

Unpublished papers of up to 5000 words (20 double-spaced pages) are
sought.  The first page of each paper must include the following
information: title, the author's name, affiliations, complete mailing
address, telephone number and electronic mail address where
applicable, a maximum 150-words abstract of the paper, and up to five
keywords (important for the correct classification of the paper).  If
there are multiple authors, please indicate who will present the paper
at OIS-86 if the paper is accepted.  Proceeedings will be distributed
at the conference and will later be available from ACM.  Selected
papers will be published in the ACM Transactions on Office Information
Systems.

Please send eight (8) copies of the paper to:

       Prof. Stan Zdonick
       OIS-86 Program Chair
       Computer Science Department
       Brown University
       P.O. Box 1910
       Providence, RI  02912

DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:   Rita Desormeau   (401) 863-3302

******************************************************************************

                            IMPORTANT DATES

     Deadline for Paper Submission:                   February 1, 1986
     Notification of Acceptance:                      April 30, 1986
     Deadline for Final Camera-Ready Copy:            July 1, 1986
     Conference Dates:                                October 6-8, 1986

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************