Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 85 18:26:35 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a000702; 6 Jul 85 18:24 EDT
Date: Sat  6 Jul 1985 14:47-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #87
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sat, 6 Jul 85 21:01 EST

AIList Digest            Saturday, 6 Jul 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 87

Today's Topics:
  AI Scholarship - NMSU,
  Seminars - Logic Programming with Functions (BBN) &
    Shape from Function (GE),
  Conferences - Expert Systems Application in Business &
    Intelligent Simulation Environments &
    North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 85 11:25:17 mdt
From: [email-masked]
Subject: AI Scholarship - NMSU

GRADUATE AND UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS:
New Mexico State University, Computing Research Laboratory, invites
applications from excellent graduate and
undergraduate students interested in
Artificial Intelligence, including Expert Systems, Natural Language,
Cognitive Modelling, Intelligent User-Interfaces, Vision and
Robotics, and interdisciplinary projects that integrate these
fundamental aspects of computing science.  The CRL offers
scholarships of up to $12,000 for graduates and $3,000 for
undergraduates per year including tuition and cash.
Successful applicants will additionally be employed for up to
20 hours per week during the academic year, and 40 hours per week
during the summertime on CRL sponsored research programs.
Applications should include a letter indicating your intent to be
considered for one of these scholarships, a statement of your
experiences, a statement of your interests and future goals,
transcripts of all undergraduate work, and names and addresses of
3 references who know your abilities in computing science.
Please send applications, by 20 July 1985 to: Dr. Yorick
Wilks, Director, Computing Research Laboratory, Box 3CRL,
New Mexico State University,
Las Cruces, NM 88003.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 1985 16:11-EDT
From: Brad Goodman <BGOODMAN at BBNG>
Subject: Seminar - Logic Programming with Functions (BBN)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

                    BBN Labs SDP AI Seminar

Speaker:  Uday S. Reddy
          University of Utah

Title:    Logic Programming with Functions

Time:     Friday, July 19th, 10:30 a.m.
Place:   3rd Floor Large Conference Room
         10 Moulton Street, Cambridge

While functional programming has been with us for more than two
decades, logic programming is a relatively new programming
language concept.  A comparison of the two styles shows that
functional programming is done by rewriting expressions to
semantically equivalent ones, while, on the other hand, logic
programming is done by solving formulas for values of their free
variables.  Thus, logic programming provides significantly more
expressive power than functional programming.

However, it is possible to perform logic programming in
functional languages.  Whereas Horn-clause logic languages use
resolution as the operational mechanism, functional logic
languages use a mechanism called "narrowing".  Given an
expression with free variables, the narrowing mechanism answers
the question "for what values of the variables does the
expression reduce to a value?".  Narrowing is a generalization of
both rewriting and resolution and so makes it possible to use
both the styles of programming in a unified framework.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 85 14:14 EST
From: "S. Holland" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Shape from Function (GE)

                       SHAPE FROM FUNCTION VIA MOTION ANALYSIS
                     with Application to the Automatic Design of
                    Orienting Devices for Vibratory Part Feeders

                               Dr. Tomas Lozano-Perez
                           MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab
                                Cambridge, MA.  02139

                       Wednesday, August 14, 1985, 11:00 a.m.

                        General Motors Research Laboratories
                           Computer Science Department
                          Warren, Michigan  48090-9057

    This talk explores the premise that the function of many devices can be
    characterized by how they interact with other objects.  I suggest a
    representation of function of these devices in terms of motion constraints.
    These motion constraints are expressed as a diagram in configuration space.
    Combinations of these diagrams serve both in describing a device's function
    and in designing devices with specified behavior.

    This leads to a view of design as an inverse of the motion planning problem
    in robotics.  In both cases we know the shape of the moving part.  In
    motion planning, we are given the obstacles and we must find a legal path
    between the specified origin and distination.  In this view of design,
    however, we are given the desired motion (actually a range of possible
    motions) and are asked to find a legal shape of the obstacle, that is, the
    device.

    I illustrate this approach to design with a case study of mechanical part
    feeders, a class of real devices with an interesting and direct
    relationship between shape and function.

    Dr. Lozano-Perez has authored technical articles in the areas of motion
    planning, robot programming, and model-based object recognition.  He has
    been affiliated with the M.I.T. Artificial Intelligence Laboratory since
    1973.

------------------------------

Date: 07/05/85 15:18:19 MEZ
From: Christian Bader  <[email-masked]>
Subject: Expert systems application in business

A workshop on Expert Systems in business will be held November
26/27 1985 in Berlin (West Germany) as a part of the BIG-TECH fair.
We are interested to know about business applications
of Expert Systems both in Germany and elsewhere. Please let me know
if you have an expert systems application that you could present
at the workshop.

Please contact
     Christian Bader
     Technische Universitaet Berlin
     Sekr. FR 6-7
     Franklinstr. 28/29
     D-1000 Berlin 10    West Germany
              phone: (49-30)-314-4903
                  or (49-30)-314-73260 (leave message)
       Network address:   ARPA : [email-masked]
                        BITNET : BADER at DB0TUI11
                         CSNET : [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 85 16:03 CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Intelligent Simulation Environments

CALL FOR: PAPERS, PANELISTS, SESSION COORDINATORS

INTELLIGENT SIMULATION ENVIRONMENTS,
1986 SCS MULTICONFERENCE, JAN 23 - 25, SAN DIEGO

    The   Society  for  Computer  Simulatiion  is  sponsoring   a
multiconference  January 23-25,  1985 in San  Diego,  California.
Solicited are papers in the areas of:

    *  User friendly simulation environments.
    *  Knowledge based simulation sytems.
    *  Artificial intelligence applied to simulation
       environments.

    Papers  of  special interest might describe models  that  (1)
have many symbolic processes,  (2) use heuristic search, (3) have
a  command  structure separate from knowledge  domain,  (4)  have
expertise  built  into  the model so that decisions by  the  user
would be minimized.

    AI  papers  dealing  with subjects that are  not  necessarily
directly  simulation  related  but  which  have  a  strong   time
dimension or concern would also be welcome.

    We  are  also interested  in panel  discussions  or  sessions
coordination on a particular aspect of the subject.

    Detailed abstracts (300 words) of proposed papers and special
sessions should be sent direct to the program chairmen not  later
than July 21,  85.   Camera ready copies of accepted papers would
be due October 15, 1985.

Heimo H. Adelsberger
Program Chairmen

Texas A&M University
Computer Science Department
College Station, TX - 77843

Phone: (409) 845-0298

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 85 15:31:56 cdt
From: Don Kraft <[email-masked]>
Subject: Call for Papers -- NAFIPS Meeting

                         CALL FOR PAPERS

     North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society (NAFIPS)

                    International Meeting

            Monteleone Hotel    New  Orleans, Louisiana
               (In the Heart of the French Quarter)
                       June 1-4, 1986

     Papers on all fuzzy topics  are  encouraged,  and  wide
     international participation is expected.

     Deadlines
          Notice of intent with a title and abstract     9/1/85
          Completed paper  (3 copies)                   10/15/85
          Notification of acceptance                     1/15/86
          Camera-ready copy due                          3/15/86

     Proceedings  will  be  distributed  during   Conference
     registration.

     Send all abstracts and papers to:

          NAFIPS86
          Department of Computer Science
          Florida State University
          Tallahassee, FL  32306

     Abraham Kandel and Wyllis Bandler, Program  Committee Co-Chairs

     Fred Petry and Donald H. Kraft,  General Meeting Co-Chairs

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************