From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 85 22:02:27 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a000441; 28 Mar 85 15:03 EST
Date: Wed 27 Mar 1985 23:50-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #41
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 29 Mar 85 21:52 EST

AIList Digest           Thursday, 28 Mar 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 41

Today's Topics:
  Applications - AI Music Composition & Language Teaching &
    Composition for Machine Translation,
  Games - GO Algorithms,
  AI Tools - RuleMaster,
  Recent Articles - Survey & Robotics,
  Description - Computer Science in Greece,
  Policy - Censorship & Replicative-Media Viruses,
  Seminar - Constructive Type Theory (UTexas)
  Conference - Commercial AI Forum

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 85 15:20 EST
From: Eleanor Hare <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI Music Composition

Does anyone know of any work currently being done
in composition of music?  Are there
any bibliographies about?

Please reply direct to EOHARE@clemson (not member of this list)

Eleanor Hare
DCS
(803) 656-3444

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 85 12:28 EST
From: Ethel Schuster <[email-masked]>
Subject: Looking for a paper

I am looking for a paper that was presented at the 1980 AISB conference
which was held in Amsterdam in July. The title of the paper is
"A Rather Intelligent Language Teacher" by S. Cerri and J. Breuker.
I would really appreciate it if anyone who has a copy of the procedings
could send me a photocopy of the paper at the following address:

Ethel Schuster
Department of Computer and Information Science/D2
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 26 Mar 1985 07:01:28-PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: REQUEST FOR INFO

A colleague and I will be presenting a paper and a workshop on machine
translation at the Society for Technical Communication's International
Technical Communications Conference in May.  We are designing the
workshop to show technical writers ways to make their writing more
conducive to being translated by machine.  We welcome any ideas and
suggestions from the AIList community.

Regards,

Sharon Clark

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 85 08:40:31 pst
From: stever@cit-vax (Steve Rabin  )
Subject: GO Algorithms

           [Forwarded from Arpanet-BBoards by Laws@SRI-AI.]

I am looking for pointers at algorithms for playing the oriental
game GO, or contact with authors of computer programs which play GO.
Reply to stever@cit-vax or cithep!cit-vax!stever.   Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Tue 26 Mar 85 09:55:09-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: RuleMaster

Mary.Lou.Maher@CMU-RI-CIVE asked about RuleMaster in a recent digest.
I found the following information on p. 107 of Expert Systems, Vol. 1,
No. 2, October 1984:

    RuleMaster: inductive rule-generator and rule language.  Primitive
    attributes characterising problem domain are coded in C as
    external routines.  RuleMaster is suitable for implementing
    both heuristic models and deep models of expertise.  For
    VAX machines and Unix machines in general (including SUN
    workstation), $15,000.  Further information may be obtained
    from Intelligent Terminals Ltd., George House, 36 North
    Hanover Street, Glasgow G1 2AD, Scotland.

The same company offers several other inductive rule generators for
a variety of hardware systems and programming languages.

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 1985 21:38-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent Articles - Survey

International J. Systems Sciences 15 (1984) no 11 1231-1246
Blesiada, Henryk "Calculating the growth function of a developmental
system in the case of asynchronous elementary operations"
____________________________________________________________________________
Pattern Recogniton 17 (1984) no 2 205-210
L. Bobrowski, W. Niemiro "A method of synthesis of linear discriminant
function in the case of nonseparability"
____________________________________________________________________________
Cybernetics 19 (1983) no 6 843-848
S. S. Epshtein A. L. Goralik "Information additivity conditions in
object and phenomena recognition problems
____________________________________________________________________________
Podstawy Sterowania 13 (1983) Ewa Grabska no 4 279-292
Compositing nets and their application to pattern representation
203-214 Marian Loboda "Classification of strings of the sample by means
of canonical systems"
____________________________________________________________________________
BOOK (in French): Laurent Miclet Structural methods for pattern recognition.
Scientific and Technical Collection on Telecommunications Editions
Eyrolles, Paris 1984
____________________________________________________________________________
M. Yu Moshkov "Uniqueness of minimal tests for pattern recognition
problems with linear decison rules" (in Russian)
Combinatorial-algebraic methods in applied mathematics 97-109
Gorkov Gos. Univ., Gorki 1981
____________________________________________________________________________
M. Richetin and F. Vernadat Efficient regular grammatical inference for
pattern recognition.  Pattern Recognition 17 (1984) no 2 245-250
259-273 A. G. Wacker "Average classification accuracy over collections
of Gaussian problems - common covariance matrix case"
____________________________________________________________________________
BOOK: J. W. Lloyd Foundations of logic programming. Symbolic
Computation. Artificial Intelligence Spring Verlag, NY 1984
____________________________________________________________________________
Cybernetics 20 (1984) no 1 147-152 M. K. Morokhovets "A modified
unification procedure"
____________________________________________________________________________
C. R. Acad. Bulgare Scie. 37 (1984) no 6 741-744
A. Atas Radenski "Functional Programming in the Style of Logic
Programming"

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 1985 09:47-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent Articles - Robotics

Electronics Week, January 21, 1985
"Robots get Smart in Japan"  Discusses an organ playing automaton from
Sumitomo Inc. (designed as a technological tour de force), Hitachi's
mobile robot (which can climb stairs) and Toshiba's climbing robot.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 25 Mar 85 14:18:42-PST
From: C Papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
Subject: Computer Science in Greece

Here is a piece I wrote for the EATCS Bulletin on the occasion of the 12th
ICALP.  [...]

                        COMPUTER SCIENCE IN GREECE

There are two Departments of Computer Science in Greece, one in the University
of Patras and one in the University of Crete at Iraklion; there is also a
Division of Computer Science in the Department of Electrical Engineering at the
National Technical University of Athens.  Departments are also being started at
the University of Athens and the Athens Business School, and there are several
isolated computer scientists at other Universities, such as the University of
Thessaloniki.  Finally, there are three newly founded Departments of Computer
Technology in the Institutes for Technical Education.

The most pressing problem is, of course, qualified academic personnel.  Most
Departments have tried to tap the Greek computer scientists of the diaspora,
with varying success.  Many Greek computer scientists are currently in the
transition from a career abroad, typically in the U.S., to an academic career
in Greece, and the ``re-entry problem'' has proven formidable.  The
two-year obligatory military service and its inflexible rules is not the least
of the problems.  In all, this is a very critical moment for Computer Science
higher education in Greece.

Outside Academia, there is of course a large market for computer usage, a
growing software industry, and a number of hardware ventures in the making.
Very recently, there has been a considerable high-level government
involvement in all aspects of Informatics, via the Governmental Council for
Informatics.

As for research, in Patras there are research groups in Computer Architecture,
Numerical Analysis, and Workstations.  In Crete, the interests range from
Databases and Office Automation to VLSI.  In Thessaloniki, there is research
activity in Logic Programming, Architecture, and Numerical Analysis.  Now, in
Theoretical Computer Science, there is one group at the Division of Informatics
at the National Technical University of Athens, with Leo Guibas, Foto Afrati,
Lefteris Kiroussis, Andreas Stafilopatis, and Christos Papadimitriou on the
faculty, and a group of graduate students.  There is only a two-year military
service and a volume of intractable legislation between Mihalis Yannakakis and
this group.  The interests range from Algorithms, Complexity, Geometry,
Database Theory, Automatic Program Synthesis, Combinatorial Optimization, and
Parallel Computation.  Also at NTUA there are faculty members with research
interests in Databases, Hardware, and Logic Programming, as well as people
working in related fields, such as Communication, Signal Processing, and
Control.

                                                Christos H. Papadimitriou

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 85 02:41:52 pst
From: newton@cit-vax (Mike Newton)
Subject: Rape jokes & Policy

Regarding your [mcc@mitre-bedford] recent posting to AIList-Digest:

I believe the words "censorship is a far worse crime for it affect so many
more" were mine and not "David's".

Cold hard (horrible) figures:  Regarding your numbers (believing the 50%
-- from what i have read 12% -- either is horrible enough) 50% of women raped
times 52% of the population being female yields 26%.  Vastly different
than censoring everybody (100%).

Though I believe the story would have been censored if it had been 
"a five year old" (this year's current fad) that does not mean it should
be censored.  I cannot guess whether Ken Laws would have censored 
"Paul E. Nomial", though, again, I hope he, nor anyone else, would act
as a censor for (against!) me.

  [In point of fact, it was I who "reported" the story to AIList
  in the first place.  Had I chosen not to do so, this would
  hardly be censorship.  I also regard it as my duty to keep
  offensive or pointless material out of AIList (as a courtesy
  to the readership and because of Arpanet policy); some
  censorship is therefore unavoidable.  -- KIL]

Do you think rape does not affect the male part of the population?  I am
sure fear of rape does is not 'debilitating ... 100% of the women in
this country' for I know too many women that will not let their lifes be
curtailed in this manner.  I also know that the reverse implication is
equally false.  The women that I have been close too I care about.  I
and a friend have gone to sessions held by the local police -- sessions
that invited women and their partners to come -- and have been one of
two or three males out of a group of 20.  I still VERY MUCH believe
against censorship.

Equally, men are about 7 times more often killed by the firing of a gun
than women.  Should I ask that gun jokes be forbidden?

Finally, your line "And it bugs me that I can't even read AIList without
being harassed" leaves me with a bitter taste.  Harassment implies intent,
intent which I doubt the original poster, or the moderator, or any reader
felt towards you.

mike

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 85 14:10:30 PST (Monday)
Subject: Censorship vs Sexism
From: "Bill Wu.osbunorth"@XEROX.ARPA

The response so far illustrates the diffulty of keeping cool during the
discussion of a sensitive subject.   Are we all scientists?  Let us
examine the facts and data.

Those who claim that jokes on rape, such as Poly Nomial, can actually
increase the number of rape please show me actual data which support
your conjecture and procedures of collecting and interpreting them.

Those who claim that even a small step of censorship can lead to a
bigger censorship please show me actual data which support your
conjecture and procedures of collecting and interpreting them.

So far I only find two facts.  For those who feel offended by that joke
want to censor it, who gives you the right to censor when YOU feel being
offended.  For those who feel the joke amusing (or not offended) want to
keep it, who gives you the right to speak in this forum when YOU feel
like it?

Why don't we let our moderator decide what to be put in the distribution
list.  If you do not like his policy, send a message to HIM ONLY. 

	Bill

------------------------------

Date: Mon 25 Mar 85 17:32:35-PST
From: Lee Altenberg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Evolution and Polly Nomial

[Forwarded from the AIList-Request mailbox, with permission.  -- KIL]

An evolutionary perspective on the Polly Nomial story may help in 
suggesting alternative actions that can be taken to end the propogation
of such material which are not censorship.

	The Polly Nomial story can be properly viewed as an EMAIL or
copy machine "virus".   What persuades people to reproduce and propogate
it is that it is a clever telling of a story using mathematical
terms.  The disturbing content (which is its meta-message that rape is
exciting, adventurous, and a top choice as a topic for humor) is, for a
sufficient number of people, either missed or not disturbing enough to
counter the cleverness, so the story is kept "alive" in the
"replicative" media.  The rape content itself is not keeping the story
going, because we do not see other humourous items on rape in the
R-media.  But the rape content seem to be an inseparable part of the
story, and gets propogated along with the cleverness (like sticking
ammendments on bills in Congress).

	But, if there were an alternative story which made just as
clever use of mathematical terms, and had a fun and exciting plot, it
would get propagated quite well.  After one had seen
the alternative story, one would not be as likely to propagate "Polly
Nomial".  A competing "species" might therefore take over the "niche"
that "Polly Nomial" has in the R-media.  My suggestion is that someone,
even the original author of "Polly Nomial", come with a competing story,
and throw it into the replicative media (electronic mail, bulletin
boards, and copy machines) and see what happens.

  [Someday there will be AI (or other buzzword) systems to translate
  documents into alternative styles, with or without semantic modification
  to accentuate particular effects such as puns and alliteration.  We
  will then be able to produce as many variants of the Poly Nomial
  style as we wish -- but will no longer have any interest in doing so.
  Such is the nature of art.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 27 Mar 85 01:40:39-CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Constructive Type Theory (UTexas)

Colloquium: David Turner, Wed. Mar. 27, Pai 3.14, 4PM
Title:  Constructive type theory as a programming language

Abstract:  Constructive type theory is a formal logic and set theory which
has been developed by Per Martin-Lof as a foundation for constructive
(or "intuitionist") mathematics.  Curiously, it can also be read as a
(strongly typed) functional programming language, with a number of unusual
properties, including that well-typed programs always terminate.  The talk
will give an overview of the main ideas in constructive type theory from
the point of view of someone trying to use it as a programming language.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 26 Mar 85 10:26:09-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - Commercial AI Forum

I have received literature touting the Gartner Group's first annual
forum on AI, Commercial Artificial Intelligence: Myths and Realities,
May 20-22, Century Plaza Hotel, 2025 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles.
The $800 seminar ($700 with payment by March 31) consists of a
couple of talks and a series of panels by knowledgeable executives and
corporate officers.  Topics include AI in computer operations,
manufacturing, financial services, office information systems, user
interfaces, personal computers, and specialized hardware, as well as
management and investment.

For more information, contact Ashley Pearce, (203) 967-6757,
Gartner Group, Inc., P.O. Box 10212, Stamford, CT  06904.

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************