Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 May 85 04:33:06 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a019965; 5 May 85 2:43 EDT
Date: Sat  4 May 1985 22:43-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #55
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sun, 5 May 85 04:24 EST

AIList Digest             Sunday, 5 May 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 55

Today's Topics:
  Query -  Expert Systems Tools for IBMPC,
  Report - ES Tools Paper,
  Interest Group - Evolution,
  Games - Nim,
  Image Processing - ImageCalc,
  Recent Articles - Survey
  Linguistics -  Notes from La Jolla,
  Review - The Logical Basis for Computer Programming,
  Call for Papers - Knowledge-Based Systems for Engineering,
  Course - ARO-Sponsored Summer Courses for Army

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 85 11:12:12 pdt
From: (Marvin Erickson [pnl]) erickson@lbl-csam
Subject: Info request: IBMPC & Expert Systems

I am gathering information on IBM PC-compatible expert
system development packages. I am also reviewing packages
that require/allow development on a different machine for
e.s. application delivery on IBM PCs.

So far, I have information on the T.I. Personal Consultant,
ExpertEase, TIMM, INSIGHT, M.1, and K-Base. I would be
very interested in hearing about packages I have missed
(or getting appropriate pointers).

Thanks in advance and please send responses to
erickson@lbl-csam.

Mark A. Whiting
Battelle Northwest Laboratories

  [SRI has a SeRIes-PC expert-system shell. -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 1 May 85 19:17:09-PDT
From: Mark Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: ES Tools Paper

The paper I offered to readers about 5 tools for building KB systems is ready
to go.  I am mailing out copies tomorrow to those people who needed a copy
right away.  After we get more copies back from the photocopy center the
other copies will be sent out (probably next week).

        A few people insisted on electronic copies ... I will try to
accomodate you tomorrow.  You are also welcome to ftp it from
{sumex}<richer>es.mss if you wish.  This is a scribe file.  Don't ask me about
ftping however .. if someone succeeds perhaps they can explain how they did
it.  In fact, I will be gone from Fri. 5/2 through 5/20.  (what is a scribe
file ... SCRIBE is a text formatting program.  My file is a normal ascii text
file, but it has scribe commands in it like @b[this prints in bold
when scribed] There is a chance I may be able to produce a text file
... check for es.txt or es.tty if you don't have access to scribe.

As I said in my original note, this paper is a modest review of the 5 systems.
Without hands-on testing I was unable to make the kind of evaluations I
wanted to make. For many people, my paper will be a valuable introduction and
overview to this market of products. More experienced readers may or may not
be disappointed.  However, from some of the msgs. that I received it seems
likely I will get responses back from people who have had experience with
one or more of the programs I describe.  I don't know which idea is better
(and perhaps Ken Laws can decide):

  I get all the responses and then post a summary on the net at some
  point (when I get time, which is uncertain) or

  A dialogue about the products and comments I have made can start on
  the AILIST bboard?

I myself would like to learn more about these products as well as the
broader issues I have raised in the paper; perhaps, some of you can contribute.

mark

  [A dialog in AIList is fine, but try to keep messages self-contained
  for the benefit of those who haven't read the paper.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 1985 09:32-PDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: New interest group -- evolution

There has been a lot of interest in what I will call mathematical
evolution theory.  This includes some game theory (for example the
result that equal numbers of males and females should exist in any
species in which each birth is the result of a mating) and some
computer simulation work (for example the result that cooperation can
evolve if and only if members of the species can recognize each other
as individuals).

I am sending this message to guage interest in the establishment of an
interest group in this area.

If anyone has an address that accesses a large number of csnet bboards,
please tell me.

                                        Dick

------------------------------

Date: 3 May 1985 06:20:21 EDT (Fri)
From: Dan Hoey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Nim refs sought

I told Cook@ARI-HQ1, but I guess I'd better let you folks know, or I'll
be reading this query on ARPANET-BBoards next.

Perfect strategy for Nim is known.  For an analysis of Nim, and open
questions associated with many related games, see *On Numbers and
Games* by J. H. Conway (Academic Press, 1976).

Dan Hoey

  [Another good source is Mathematical Recreations by Bell. -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 May 85 09:25:32 EDT
From: connolly@GE-CRD
Subject: Image Processing in Lisp

In praise of Image-Calc:

        In response to the query about Image Processing in Lisp - We at
GE CRD have been using Image-Calc for about a year now, and are pleased
as punch with the environment it provides.  Image-Calc runs on a
Symbolics 3600, and for a really comfortable environment, you should
have a frame buffer & color monitor.  We've mainly been working on
implementing promising image-processing algorithms (e.g., the Canny edge
detector) and model-matching in images (akin to Faugeras' work) and have
found that the Image-Calc environment takes a lot of the drudgery,
boredom, and slowness out of constructing these algorithms.

------------------------------

Date: 23 Apr 1985 19:21-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent Articles - Survey

Journal of Logic Programming 11(1984) no 3
William F. Dowling J. H. Gallier
267-284 Linear time algorithms for testing satisfiability of Horn
Formulae
225-240 J. W. Lloyd R. W. Topez Making Prolog more expressive
____________________________________________________________________________
J. Info Science 34(1984) no 1
1-24: Weichung Lun  King Sun Fu 3D-Plex Grammars
47-59: Marco Valtorta "A result on the computation complexity of
heuristic estimates for the A* algorithms"
____________________________________________________________________________
Vestnik Lening Unive. Mat. Mekh. Astron 1984
111-113 S. P. Lukin V. N. Fomm
An optimal stopping rule for training algorithms with reward
In Russian with English Summary
____________________________________________________________________________
Publ. Inst. Math (Beograd( 1983 34(48)
37-47: Dragos Cvetkovik, Irena Pevac
Discussing graph theory with a computer III Man Machine Theorem Proving
____________________________________________________________________________
Comm. Cognition 17 (1984) no 1 3-42
Isles, David "Artificial Intelligence as a possible tool for
discovering the laws of logic
____________________________________________________________________________
J. Math. Psych. 24(1984) no 3
231-281 Richard Schweickert, George J. Boggs
Models of central capacity and concurrency
____________________________________________________________________________
STACS 84 2nd Annual Symposium on Theorietical Aspects of Computer
Science
Springer Verlag Lecture Notes in CS 182 $16.00
Tree Automata and Logic Programs G. File page 119
____________________________________________________________________________
International Journal of Bio-Medical Computing
Volume 16 no 1 Jan 84
Computer Vision J. G. Llaurado Page 4

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 85 11:35:39 pdt
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Linguistic Notes from La Jolla

Working papers in linguistics from the faculty and students of the
Department of Linguistics, University of California at San Diego,
are available from

        "Linguistics Notes from La Jolla"
        Department of Linguistics, C-008
        University of California, San Diego
        La Jolla, California 92093

For a list of contents of issue 13 and of back issues send a
self-addressed stamped envelope to LNLJ.

I am posting this for Michael Smith, who is handling orders this year.
He asks that orders (and payment) be received by May 15, 1985.
                                                        --Michelle Gross

  [I've edited this down; the author can supply more info. -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 04 May 85  0038 PDT
From: Yoni Malachi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Review - The Logical Basis for Computer Programming

                THE LOGICAL BASIS FOR COMPUTER PROGRAMMING
                      Volume 1: Deductive Reasoning

                   ZOHAR MANNA  and  RICHARD WALDINGER

                   Addison-Wesley, ISBN: 0-201-18620-2

This exceptionally clear text, laced with many examples, provides a most
readable introduction to the logical concepts and techniques underlying
computer programming.  Computational notions are explored in a logical
realm independent of any programming language or any machine.  The text is
accessible to readers with no background in mathematics or computer
programming, yet it supplies axiomatization for a rich collection of
abstract data types.

This book provides the intellectual tools for studying artificial
intelligence, software engineering, automatic programming, database
theory, logic programming, and the theory of computation.  A
forthcoming second volume, DEDUCTIVE SYSTEMS, describes logical
techniques for automated theorem proving and its applications.

Zohar Manna is Professor of Computer Science at Stanford University;
he is the author of the textbook "Mathematical Theory of Computation."
Richard Waldinger is Staff Scientist in the Artificial Intelligence Center
at SRI International.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

Part I. Mathematical Logic

Chapter 1: Propositional Logic
  Introduction. The Language. The Meaning of a Sentence. Properties of
  Sentences. Truth Tables. Semantic Trees. Proof by Falsification.
  Valid Sentence Schemata. Substitution. Extended Interpretation.
  Equivalence. Problems.

Chapter 2: Predicate Logic: Basic
  Introduction. The Language. The Meaning of a Sentence. Semantic Rules.
  Validity.  Universal and Existential Closure. Problems.

Chapter 3: Predicate Logic: Advanced
  Valid Sentence Schemata. Equivalence. Safe Substitution. The Value Property.
  Valid Schemata with Substitution. Function Introduction and Elimination.
  Problems.

Chapter 4: Special Theories
  Definition of a Theory. Augmenting Theories. Relationship between Theories.
  Theory of Strict Partial Orderings. Theory of Equivalence Relations.
  Problems.

Chapter 5: Theories with Equality
  Theory of Equality. Theory of Weak Partial Orderings. Theory of Associated
  Relations. Theory of Groups. Theory of Pairs. Relativized Quantifiers.
  The Lexicographic Relation. Problems.

Part II. Theories with Induction

Chapter 6: Nonnegative Integers
  Basic Properties. The Addition Function. Multiplication and Exponentiation.
  Predecessor and Subtraction.  Decomposition Induction. The Weak Less-than
  Relation. The Strict Less-than Relation. Complete Induction. Quotient and
  Remainder. Proof of Complete Induction. The Divides Relation. The
  Least-Number Principle. Problems.

Chapter 7: Strings
  Basic Properties. The Head and Tail Functions. The Concatenation Function.
  The Reverse Function. The Decomposition Induction Principle.
  The Substring Relation.  The Complete Induction Principle. Nonnegative
  Integers and Strings.  String Representation of Integers. Problems.

Chapter 8: Trees
  Basic Properties. The Left and Right Functions. The Subtree Relation.
  Strings and Trees. Problems.

Chapter 9: Lists
  Basic Properties. The Head and Tail Functions. Append and Member.
  Example: Flatlist. Tree Representation of Lists. Example: Parsing. Problems.

Chapter 10: Sets
  Basic Properties. The Equality Proposition. The Choice and Rest Functions.
  The Union and Intersection Functions. The Deletion and Difference Functions.
  The Subset Relation. The Set Constructor. Cardinality. Singleton Sets.
  Problems.

Chapter 11: Bags
  Basic Properties. The Equal-Multiplicity Relation. Multiplicity and Equality.
  The Count Function. Additional Functions and Relations.  Sum, Union,
  and Intersection. Problems.

Chapter 12: Tuples
  Basic Properties. Nonnegative Integers and Tuples. Mapping Tuples into Sets
  and Bags. The Permutation Relation. The Ordered Relation. The Sort Function.
  Recursive Definition of Functions. Problems.

Related Textbooks
Index of Symbols
General Index

------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 21 April 1985 20:35:49 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: IEEE Software - Knowledge-Based Systems for Engineering

                           CALL FOR PAPERS

The March 1986 issue of IEEE Software will address software aspects of
knowledge-based   systems   developed  for  engineering  applications,
focusing on the following issues:    (IEEE  Software  is  one  of  the
prestigious magazines devoted to problems in Software engineering).

   - need for building the KBES;

   - why a particular representation was chosen;

   - why a particular expert-system-building tool or language was
     used;

   - what  advantages  and  limitations were revealed through the
     attempt;

   - what kind of software tool would be ideal for doing  similar
     tasks;

   - how knowledge was acquired from experts;

   - the software cycle;

   - user interfaces; and

   - current status.

The   deadline   for  receiving  the  manuscript,  not  more  than  30
double-spaced typewritten pages, is July 1st and it will  be  reviewed
as per the IEEE standard review process.

For more information (or a copy of author's guidelines) write to:

D. Sriram/M. Rychener (Guest Editors)
Civil Engg. and Construction Labs.
Department of Civil Engineering
Carnegie-Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
ARPAnet address: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 85 15:51:21 EDT
From: "Dr. Ron Green" (ARO) <[email-masked]>
Subject: ARO sponsored summer courses for Army

Two courses will be taught this summer as part of ARO AI education program
for Army.  The courses will have limited enrollment because of hands-on
content of course.
                         Logic Programming
This course will be given at University of Pennsylvania from June 17 till
noon June 21.  A familiarity with basic issues and techniques of AI and
the ability to program in higher-level languages is assumed.  Familiarity
with logic and LISP is very desirable.  The course will cover the use of
logic-based systems as arepresentation language and programming language for
AI systems}i.  The course will be approximately one-half lecture and one-
half laboratory work.  The hardware will be VAXes and LISP machines.  Various
PROLOG implementations and logic programming systems will be available.

MAIN TOPIC AREAS
1. Theoretical foundations
2. Logic as a programming language
3. PROLOG as a programming language
4. Pratical PROLOG
5. Knowledge representation
6. Reasoning
7. Expert systems
8. Natural language processing
9. Evaluating logic programming

                             LISP Programming
This course will be taught at the University of Texas at Austin from
July 8 to noon on July 12.  Lectures will be presented during the
mornings of Monday through Thursday, and the rest of the time will be
devoted to hands-on LISP programming on LISP machines.  No knowledge
of LISP is required.  Applicants must have general familiarity with AI
problems and techniques, and must have significant programming
experience in standard high-level programming languages.  Persons with
moderate LISP experience are welcome, but it is expected that they
will work more independently on advanced problems.

MAIN TOPIC AREAS
1. Basic data structures and functions
2. User-defined functions and recursion
3. Explicit flow of control and iteration
4. More advanc{_ed topics -- LAMBDA expressions, destructive alteration, arrays
5. AI methods -- state-space methods, simple rule-based systems, frames

To enroll or at least apply for enrollment send a letter with the
course desired, brief reason for taking the course, and status of
experience with AI.  Deadline for application is June 5.  ARO will
select the ones to attend.

Send letter to
US Army Research Office
Electronics Division
Attn:  Dr. C. Ronald Green
P.O. Box 12211
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2211

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************