Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 May 85 20:54:40 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a022791; 5 May 85 17:48 EDT
Date: Sat  4 May 1985 23:08-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #57
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sun, 5 May 85 20:44 EST

AIList Digest             Sunday, 5 May 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 57

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - What is Information? (CMU) &
    Theorem Proving, Connection Machine (BBN) &
    Hypotheticals and Legal Reasoning (LSU) &
    Domain-Independent Planning (MIT),
  Conference - AI Applications &
    Carnegie Symposium, Language Acquisition &
    Expert Database Systems

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 1985 0749-EDT
From: Lydia Defilippo <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - What is Information? (CMU)

Speaker: Heinz Zemanek (Vienna)
Date:    Wednesday, May 8
Time:    11:00 am
Place:   5409
Title:   What is Information?

        Our century has its information technology and its information
industry, but does it know what entity it is dealing with?  There is no
standard definition of information, and there is no way to measure it.  The
Bit, for example, merely measures the statistical density of symbols, and
it does not measure the flow through a logical network.  Perhaps if
computer scientists cannot measure their primary entity, they do not belong
to the natural sciences but at least partially belong to the humanities!

        The author will argue that information can be understood from the
context in which it appears: in the naive context (what was information
before the computer appeared?), in the sensory organs, in language, in the
transmission media (that is, in the channel, where information theory
began), in protocols, as merchandise, as "intelligence," as knowledge, and
as an entity controlling real-world processes (of which the computation
processes are a harmless subclass).  The conclusion is that the computer
may turn science and technology much more towards the humanities than
scientists and engineers might expect.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Apr 1985 13:49-EDT
From: AHAAS at BBNG.ARPA
Subject: Seminar - Theorem Proving, Connection Machine (BBN)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

  Something new in ther BBN AI seminar series: a talk on theorem
proving.  This area is enjoying a revival - they've even written
some programs that real mathematicians consider useful.  Wolfgang
Bibel of Duke University and Technische Universitat, Munich will
speak at 10 AM on Monday May 6 in the 3rd floor conference room.

          The connection method and plan generation W. Bibel In
this talk we give a brief overview of the AI projects at the TUM.
These include the development of a logical connection machine, ie
a multi-processor machine for deduction based on the connection
method in ATP.  This method is outlined in some detail.  As an
example among the various applications of deductive reasoning
plan generation is considered, and a new purely deductive
solution for this well-known problem in AI is presented.

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 1985 11:45-EST
From: "George R. Cross" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Hypotheticals and Legal Reasoning (LSU)

   Hypotheticals and Legal Reasoning
           Edwina Rissland
     Department of Computer Science
       University of Massachusetts

Sponsored by: Louisiana State Law Institute, Center for Civil Law Studies,
and Department of Computer Science, Louisiana State University

Place: Coates 155, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
Time: Tuesday, May 7, 1:30 P.M.

Abstract: In this talk, I shall discuss the use of hypotheticals in legal
reasoning, in particular, how hypos serve a central role in analyzing issues
and preparing arguments.  I'll describe a program, called HYPO, which
generates legal hypotheticals, and an environment, called COUNSELOR, which
provides support for legal reasoning and other strategic tasks, like
resource management.  I'll discuss the kinds of modifications one makes to
hypos in the course of argument, offer a preliminary taxonomy of such
"argument moves", and discuss some higher level structures in legal
argument.  As background, I'll also present some general issues about
examples such as their generation, structure and importance in reasoning,
especially in the domains of mathematics and the law.

For More Info:
        George R. Cross
        Computer Science Department
        Louisiana State University
        Phone: 504-388-1495
        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 1985  14:20 EDT (Sat)
From: "Daniel S. Weld" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Domain-Independent Planning (MIT)

    AI Revolving Seminar    Tuesday, May 7  4:00pm  8AI Playroom

                          Reid G. Simmons

                    Domain Independent Planning:
                  Putting "Shakey" on Firmer Ground

Current domain independent planners are limited in the range of
real-world problems that they can handle.  This limitation is due
largely to the lack of explicit temporal representations and to the
relative inexpressiveness of the STRIPS-like operator representations.
We present a domain independent planner which overcomes some of these
limitations.  First, time is explicitly represented and reasoned
about.  Second, the operator representation is extended in two
important ways -- an "effect" may consist of a quantified formula and
the "output" value of an effect may depend on its "input" value.  We
demonstrate how these changes significantly extend the range of
operator representation without rendering the planning problem intractable.

We also present a technique which can be used to control the
potentially exponential search for a correct plan, so that planning is
manageable even using these extended operator representations.  This
technique combines a careful analysis of the effects of each plan step
with dependency directed search.  It has proven to be very effective
in solving traditional blocks-world examples and is currently being
applied to more demanding domains.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 May 85 15:50 EST
From: John Roach <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - AI Applications

                        ===============
                        CALL FOR PAPERS
                        ===============

                     IEEE Computer Society

     SECOND CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE APPLICATIONS

            The Engineering of Knowledge-Based Systems

                      Fontainebleau Hilton
                      Miami Beach, Florida
                      11-13 December 1985

Purpose:  to explore the technology, implementation and impact of
emerging application areas and indicate future trends in available
systems and required research.  Topic areas include:

Knowledge Acquisition and Representation        System Architecture
Planning and Problem Solving                    Natural Language
Reasoning with Uncertainty                      Sensor Feedback
Validation                                      Learning and Control
Human-Computer Interface                        Explanation

The program will consist of submitted and invited paprs.  Invited
papers will provide an overview of research in selected areas.
All papers will be reviewed by two members of the program review
committee.  Contributed papers may be selected for presentation
and publication, or for publication only.  Please limit papers
to five thousand words.  Research proposals and minor changes to
old ideas are discouraged.  Fours copies of the complete paper
are to be submitted to:

                        Program Chair
              Artificial Intelligence Conference
                        P. O. Box 639
                   Silver Spring, MD  20901

Accepted papers will be published in the proceedings of the
conference and will be allocated a maximum of six pages.

CONFERENCE TIMETABLE
Four Copies of Manuscript               1 June 1985
Acceptance Letters                      15 July 1985
Camera-Ready Papers                     1 September 1985
Tutorials                               9, 10 December 1985
Conference                              11 - 13 December 1985

A limited amount of exhibit space is available.  Please contact
Director of Conferences, IEEE Computer Society, 301-589-8142.

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE

General Chair
John Roach
Department of Computer Science
Virginia Polytechnic Institute
Blacksburg, Virginia  24061

Program Chair
Charles Weisbin
Center for Engr. Systems Advanced Research
Oak Ridge National Laboratories
Oak Ridge, TN  37831

Local Arrangements Chair
Harry Hayman

Tutorials Chair
Mabry Tyson
SRI International

Treasurer
Daniel Chester
University of Delaware

Program Committee
Charles Weisbin
J. Barhen
P. Cheeseman
R. Duda
R. Haralick
E. Heer
D. Hertz
A. Kak
H. Pople
E. Rich
J. Roach
L. Shapiro
R. Simmons

------------------------------

Date: Saturday, 04 May 85 11:32:04 EDT
From: sokolov (jeff sokolov) @ cmu-psy-a
Subject: Conference - Carnegie Symposium, Language Acquisition

 **********************************************************************
                 20th Annual Carnegie Symposium on Cognition
                        Carnegie-Mellon University
                                May 16-18
                Theme:  "Mechanisms of Language Acquisition"
 **********************************************************************

The 20th Annual Carnegie Symposium on Cognition will be held on May 16, 17,
and 18 in the Adamson Wing of Baker Hall on the Carnegie-Mellon campus in
Pittsburgh.  Presentations will begin at 2:00 on the 16th.  Participants
include Martin Braine, Robert Berwick, Jaime Carbonell, Eve Clark, Elizabeth
Bates, Brian MacWhinney, John Anderson, Melissa Bowerman, Michael Maratsos,
Marlys Macken, Pat Langley, Jeff Sokolov, Steven Pinker, Kenneth Wexler,
Thomas Roeper, Jay McClelland, Peter Gordon, and David Rumelhart.  Focal
issues will be:  the role of universal constraints on the shape of grammar
and the parser, ways of constraining rule overgeneralization, and
competition/parallel models of learning and processing.

Support is being provided by the National Science Foundation and the Sloan
Foundation.  For a copy of the program contact Brian MacWhinney or Kathy
Marengo at (412) 578-2656.  The public is invited.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 2 May 85 08:28:36-CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Expert Database Systems   [long message]

                     Call for Papers and Participation

         First International Conference on Expert Database Systems

                April 1-4, 1986, Charleston, South Carolina

                       Sponsored by:

        The Institute of Information Management, Technology and Policy
        College of Business Administration,
        University of South Carolina

                    In Cooperation With:

        American Association for Artificial Intelligence
        Association for Computing Machinery -- SIGMOD, SIGART and SIGPLAN
        IEEE Technical Committee on Data Base Engineering
        Agence de l'Informatique, France

                   Conference Objectives

The goal of this conference is to explore both the theoretical and  practi-
cal issues of Expert Database Systems.  These systems represent the conflu-
ence of R&D activities in  Artificial  Intelligence,  Logic,  and  Database
Management.

Expert Database Systems will play an ever-increasing  role  in  scientific,
governmental and business applications by:

o    providing intelligent, knowledge-based access to  large  shared  data-
     bases  through  novel  user-interfaces  and natural-language question-
     answering facilities,

o    endowing database systems with reasoning, planning, and  justification
     capabilities,

o    creating knowledge base management tools and techniques to support the
     creation,  manipulation,  indexing,  and  evolution of large knowledge
     bases, and

o    integrating AI & DB functional  requirements  into  new  hardware  and
     software  environments for the specification, prototyping, testing and
     debugging of knowledge-based applications.

In order to foster the cross-fertilization of ideas  from  AI,  Logic,  and
Databases  the Conference will be composed of tutorial sessions, paper ses-
sions, and panel discussions.

                            Topics of Interest

The Program Committee invites original papers (of approximately 5000 words)
addressing (but not limited to) the following areas:

Theory of Knowledge Bases (including  knowledge  representation,  knowledge
     models,  recursive  data  models,  object-oriented  models,  knowledge
     indexing and transformation),

Knowledge  Engineering  (including  acquisition,   maintenance,   learning,
     knowledge-directed  database  specification  and design methodologies,
     and case studies),

Knowledge Base Management  (including  architectures  and  languages,  con-
     straint  and rule management, metadata management, and extensible data
     dictionaries),

Reasoning on Large Data/Knowledge Bases (including inexact and  fuzzy  rea-
     soning,  non-monotonic  reasoning,  deductive  databases,  logic-based
     query languages, semantic query optimization, and  constraint-directed
     reasoning),

Natural Language Access (including question-answering, extended  responses,
     cooperative behavior, explanation and justification),

Intelligent Database Interfaces (including expert system --  database  com-
     munication,  knowledge  gateways, knowledgeable user agents, browsers,
     and videotex),

Knowledge-Based Environments (including Decision Support Systems,  CAD/CAM,
     and VLSI Design),

Organizational Issues (including technology transfer, procurement of expert
     database systems, and knowledge certification).

Please send five (5) copies of papers by September 1, 1985 to:

                    Larry Kerschberg, Program Chairman
                    College of Business Administration
                    University of South Carolina
                    Columbia, SC, 29208

                             Program Committee

Hideo Aiso                                  Sham Navathe
Keio University                             University of Florida

Antonio Albano                              Erich Neuhold
University of Pisa                          Technical University of Vienna

Robert Balzer                               S. Ohsuga
USC/Information Sciences Institute          University of Tokyo

James Bezdek                                Alain Pirotte
University of South Carolina                Philips Research Lab, Brussels

Ron Brachman                                D. Stott Parker, Jr.
Schlumberger Palo Alto Research             UCLA and SILOGIC

Michael Brodie                              Harry Pople
Computer Corporation of America             University of Pittsburgh

Peter Buneman                               Erik Sandewall
University of Pennsylvania                  Linkoping University

Mark Fox                                    Edgar H. Sibley
Robotics Institute, Carnegie-Mellon Univ.   George Mason University

George Gardarin                             John Miles Smith
Univ. of Paris 6 and INRIA                  Computer Corporation of America

Herve Gallaire                              Reid Smith
ECRC, Munich                                Schlumberger-Doll Research

Matthias Jarke                              Michael Stonebraker
New York University                         UC -- Berkeley

Jonathan King                               Jeffrey Ullman
Teknowledge                                 Stanford University

Robert Kowalski                             Bonnie L. Webber
Imperial College                            University of Pennsylvania

Jack Minker                                 Andrew B. Whinston
University of Maryland                      Purdue University

Michele Missikoff                           Gio Wiederhold
IASI-CNR, Rome                              Stanford University

John Mylopoulos                             Carlo Zaniolo
University of Toronto                       MCC Corporation

                              Important Dates

               Submission Deadline:       September 1, 1985
               Acceptance Notification:   November 7, 1985
               Final Version Due:         December 15, 1985
               Conference:                April 1-4, 1986

Conference proceedings will be available  at  the  conference,  and  subse-
quently will appear in book form.

 Conference General Chairman          Conference Coordinator

 Donald A. Marchand                   Cathie L. Hughes

 Institute of Information Management, Technology and Policy
 (803) 777-5766

 Panel Coordinator                    Conference Treasurer

 Arun Sen                             Libby Shropshier
 Dept. of Management Science          Institute of Information Management,
 College of Business Administration   Technology and Policy
 Univ. of South Carolina              Univ. of South Carolina
 Columbia, SC 29208                   Columbia, SC 29208

 Publicity Chairman                   Tutorial Chairman

 John Weitzel                         Jonathan King
 Dept. of Management Science          Teknowledge, Inc.
 College of Business Administration   525 University Avenue
 Univ. of South Carolina              Palo Alto, CA 94301
 Columbia, SC 29208

                       International Representatives

      Latin America               Europe                  Far East

Claudio M.O. Moura       Jean-Claude Rault       Masahiro Nakazawa
Independent Consultant   Agence de l'InformatiqueNihon Digital Equip. Corp.
Rua R. Eduardo Guinle 60 Tour Fiat-Cedex 16      Sunlight Bldg. 5th Floor
Botafogo                 Paris-La Defense        5-29-1, Toyotamakita,
22.260 Rio de Janeiro, RJParis                   Nerima-ku Tokyo, 176
Brazil                   France                  Japan

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************