Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 85 10:05:32 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a008197; 24 May 85 1:46 EDT
Date: Thu 23 May 1985 21:48-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #69
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 24 May 85 05:06 EST

AIList Digest            Friday, 24 May 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 69

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - Acquiring Control Knowledge in BB1 (SU) &
    Computers and Emotion (CSLI) &
    Knowledge, Beliefs, Time and More Puzzles (IBM-SJ) &
    Functional Programming and the Logical Variable (SU),
  Workshop - Applications of Expert Systems

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue 21 May 85 10:03:38-PDT
From: Carol Wright/Susie Barnes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Acquiring Control Knowledge in BB1 (SU)

                           SIGLUNCH

DATE:          Friday,  May 24, 1985
LOCATION:      Braun Auditorium, Mudd/Chemistry Bldg.
TIME:          12:05

SPEAKER:       Mike Hewett
               Knowledge Systems Laboratory

TITLE:         MARCK:  A Module for Acquiring and Refining
                       Control Knowledge in BB1

     MARCK is the first step in exploiting the capabilities for
knowledge acquisition and learning within the BB1 blackboard
architecture.   MARCK automates the role of a BB1 knowledge
engineer by assisting the expert with defining, formulating, and
integrating new control knowledge into a knowledge base during
a problem-solving session.

     While running a system in BB1, an expert may take an action
which indicates that some piece of control knowledge is missing.
MARCK uses its knowledge of the control architecture in BB1 to
guide the expert toward identifying the missing knowledge.  It
then uses a set of data analysis routines and a library of generic
heuristic forms to postulate some applicable control heuristics.
Although MARCK has no knowledge of the domain, it can generate
domain-dependent control knowledge.  MARCK communicates to the
expert through a translator which converts heuristic forms and
LISP code into English sentences.

     MARCK is currently being used in the PROTEAN project at KSL
and several examples will be presented where MARCK has formulated
important and useful pieces of control knowledge.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 22 May 85 17:10:28-PDT
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Computers and Emotion (CSLI)

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

             *NEXT* THURSDAY, May 30, 1985

   12 noon              TINLunch
     Ventura Hall       ``Computers and Emotion''
     Conference Room    Discussion led by Helen Nissenbaum

      Emotion is an integral part of human consciousness. Yet common
   practice in AI takes its ideal to be an intelligent, goal-driven agent
   entirely devoid of passion.  The assumption behind the practice is
   that emotionless intellect is possible, and that a purely cognitive
   agent is a valid abstraction from the total human individual.  The
   TINLunch, inspired by a TINLunch held October 13, 1981, titled ``Will
   Robots Need Emotions?'', probes the AI assumption.  I offer the
   following as starting points for the discussion:
      - What would it take to have a computer with emotions?
      - Why worry about this?  A passionless automaton is fully rational
   and far better off for not having emotions.  (Too bad we humans suffer
   this affliction.)
      - These are idle speculations.  A sufficiently complex robot, that
   could truly be said to understand and be goal-driven, will, of
   necessity, have emotion, no matter what the intentions of its
   creators.
      Background readings are excerpts from Hume's ``Of the Passions'',
   Jerome Shaffer's ``An Assessment of Emotion'' and TINLunch Outline
   ``Will Robots Need Emotions?'' by A. Archbold and N. Haas.
                                                        --Helen Nissenbaum

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 85 18:36:12 PDT
From: IBM San Jose Research Laboratory Calendar
      <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Knowledge, Beliefs, Time and More Puzzles (IBM-SJ)

                      IBM San Jose Research Lab
                           5600 Cottle Road
                         San Jose, CA 95193

  Wed., May 29 Computer Science Seminar
  10:30 A.M.  KNOWLEDGE, BELIEFS, TIME AND MORE PUZZLES
  Cafe. A     In "Knowledge, Common Knowledge and Related Puzzles,"
            PODC 84, a logical system for formalizing reasoning
            about knowledge and time was proposed.  Ongoing
            research around this system will be described and
            touch on subjects such as:  restrictions on how one
            may acquire knowledge, surprises, beliefs, and
            knowledge about time.

            Prof. D. L. Brandeis
            Host:  J. Halpern (HALPERN@IBM-SJ)

------------------------------

Date: 23 May 85  0000 PDT
From: Yoni Malachi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Functional Programming and the Logical Variable (SU)

Thursday 6-6-85, 11am in MJH 352

                FUNCTIONAL PROGRAMMING AND THE LOGICAL VARIABLE

                                Gary Lindstrom
                        Department of Computer Science
                              University of Utah
                          Salt Lake City, Utah 84112

Logic programming offers a variety of computational effects which go beyond
those customarily found in functional programming languages.  Among these
effects is the notion of the "logical variable," i.e. a value determined by the
intersection of constraints, rather than by direct binding.  We argue that this
concept is "separable" from logic programming, and can sensibly be incorporated
into existing functional languages.  Moreover, this extension appears to
significantly widen the range of problems which can efficiently be addressed in
function form, albeit at some loss of conceptual purity.  In particular, a form
of side-effects arises under this extension, since a function invocation can
exert constraints on variables shared with other function invocations.
Nevertheless, we demonstrate that determinacy can be retained, even under
parallel execution.  The graph reduction language FGL is used for this
demonstration, by being extended to a language FGL+LV permitting formal
parameter expressions, with variables occurring therein bound by unification.
The determinacy argument is based on a novel dataflow-like rendering of
unification.  In addition the complete partial order employed in this
proof is unusual in its explicit representation of demand, a necessity
given the "benign" side-effects that arise.  An implementation
technique is suggested, suitable for reduction architectures.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 85 11:49:55 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Workshop - Applications of Expert Systems

The U. S. Army Research Office is sponsoring a Summer Workshop on
Application of Expert Systems.  The workshop will be held on July 16,18
1985 at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia.

The workshops objective is to assess the application of expert systems
to military applications and to identify the state-of-the-art and research
needs.  Particular emphasis shall be given to diagnostic and automatic
test applications.
The four main topics for discussion in the working sessions are:
1.  Preventive maintenance  -- Prognostics
2.  Diagnostic maintenance
3.  Automatic logistics planning
4.  Automatic training

The keynote speaker for the workshop will Lieutenant General Robert Moore
Deputy Commander for Research Development and Acquisition - US Army Materiel
Command.

The workshop attendance is limited to 50 participants from the US Army
industry, and academia.  The program will consist of invited and
submitted papers.  A 200 word abstract must be submitted to the program
committee prior to June 15, 1985 for consideration.
Abstracts should be sent to Dr. Johannes of the Program committee.
The author will be notified of acceptance of the paper and particpation
by June 21, 1985.

Accepted papers will published in the proceedings of the conference
and will be allocted a maximum of five pages.

Program Committee
Dr. J. D. Johannes    Dr. C. R. Green          Dr. W. M. Holmes
Univ of Alabama       US Army Research Office  US Army Missile Command
Computer Science      Electronics Division     Redstone Arsenal, AL
Huntsville, AL        P.O. Box 12211           35898-5252
35899                 Research Triangle Pk.
                      NC 27709-2211
205-895-6255          919-549-0641              205-876-1048

[email-masked]  [email-masked]       [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************