Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 85 04:21:56 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a023931; 20 Apr 85 20:43 EST
Date: Sat 20 Apr 1985 16:59-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #49
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sun, 21 Apr 85 04:16 EST

AIList Digest           Saturday, 20 Apr 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 49

Today's Topics:
  Bindings - HPP now Stanford Knowledge Systems Laboratory,
  Recent Articles - AI Report & Survey,
  Robotics - Occupational Fatality,
  AI Literature - AI Journals & Mathematical People,
  Request - NCARAI Seminar Series,
  Workshop - AI and Statistics

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 Apr 85 15:43:54-PST
From: Bruce Buchanan  <[email-masked]>
Subject: STANFORD KNOWLEDGE SYSTEMS LABORATORY

    ***                     NOTICE OF NAME CHANGE                       ***

        HEURISTIC PROGRAMMING PROJECT --> KNOWLEDGE SYSTEMS LABORATORY

                          COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
                              STANFORD UNIVERSITY

Upon entering our third decade of AI research, the group formerly known as the
DENDRAL Project (1965-1972) and the Heuristic Programming Project (1972-1984)
announces the creation of the Knowledge Systems Laboratory (KSL).  The overall
research directions will remain the same but scientific direction and
administration will be distributed among the five collaborating, but distinct,
subgroups listed below.

A central KSL administration will coordinate activities among the
subgroups and between the KSL and outside agencies, corporations, and the
university.  Thomas Rindfleisch will serve as Director of the KSL.

1.  The Heuristic Programming Project group, Prof. Edward A. Feigenbaum,
        principal investigator.  The current foci of the HPP include:
        studies of blackboard systems, machine and system architectures
        for concurrent symbolic processing, and models for knowledge
        discovery.  Executive Director: Robert Engelmore.  Research
        scientists: Harold Brown, Bruce Delagi, Peter Friedland, H.Penny
        Nii, and Byron Davies.  Consulting Professor: Richard Gabriel.

2.  The HELIX Group, Prof. Bruce G. Buchanan, principal investigator.
        The main foci of this group are machine learning, transfer of
        expertise, and problem solving.  Other faculty and research
        scientists are Paul Rosenbloom, James Brinkley, William Clancey,
        and Barbara Hayes-Roth.

3.  The Medical Computer Science Group, Prof. Edward H. Shortliffe,
        principal investigator.  Research on and application of AI to
        medical problems.  Research scientist: Larry Fagan.

4.  The Logic Group, Prof. Michael R. Gensereth, principal investigator.
        Research on formal reasoning and introspectivie systems.
        Research scientist: Matt Ginsberg.

5.  The Symbolic Systems Resources Group, Thomas C. Rindfleisch, director.
        Research on and operation of computing resources for AI research,
        including the SUMEX facility.  Asst. Director: William J. Yeager.

Address correspondence to:
        Knowledge Systems Laboratory
        Computer Science Dept.
        Stanford University
        701 Welch Rd., Bldg. C
        Palo Alto, CA    94304

------------------------------

Date: 5 Apr 1985 10:28-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Contents, AI Report

The Artificial Intelligence Report, April 1985, Volume 2 no. 4

"FDA Looks at Medical Software" describes a move within the FDA to
classify medical software (including medical expert systems) as medical
devices subject to improvement

"The NSF Supercomputer Centers"

"Sun Microsystems" announced the availability of the following AI
products for their workstations: Quintus Prolog, Lucid Common Lisp,
Software Architecture and Engineering Inc.s' Knowledge Engineering
System, Smart System Technology's Duck.  Also includes information on
Sun's philosophy with respect to AI and some prices for some of their
products and general corporate aims.

"Teknowledge joins FMC" describes investments by FMC and others in
Teknowledge.

"A $50 Million Give Away" describes HP's planned donations to
Universities for AI work.

"A Commerical AI Forum" describes a forum being sponsored by the
Gartner Group.

"The Japanese AI Market" describes work by Nichiman Co in importing
Symbolics 3600 machines and other AI software to Japan.

"Expo 85: Tsukuba Japan"  States that the American pavillion in Japan
(whose theme is AI) has good technical information but lacks the flash
and glitz of Japanese exhibits.

Announcements of AI products for the  IBM PC

  Logicware announced availability of PC/MProlog which is execution
  compatible with unspecified DEC and IBM mainframe computers.

  Artelligence of Dallas, Texas is selling a PC version of OPS5 called
  OPS5+($3,000)

  California Intelligence announces XSYS, an expert system shell,
  for $1000.  (It is similar to the SeRIES-PC system developed at
  Stanford)

  KDS Corporation announced KDS AUTOLOGIC

Review of the NATO Advanced Study Institute workshop.  These are
available in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence, volume 11 of NATO
ASI Series, series F- Computer and Systems Sciences published by
Springer VErlag

Review of IEEE Conference on Artificial Intelligence Conference, Dec
5-7 1985.  They are available from IEEE Computer Society (order no 624)

Review of Artificial Intelligence in Maintenance, sponsored by the
Department of Defense October 4-6 1983.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 1985 09:37-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent Articles

Datamation, April 1, 1985 Volume 31 no 7
Reader's Forum - Hacker meets Star War's.

This was written by John M. Morris of Illinois Institute of Technology
Research Institute in Rome New York.  He claims that IIT has developed
a "set of software metrics -- measurements of such things as the
complexity of programs -- for use with LISP programs."  They also found
that "AI programs can meet commercial software standards without
neglecting the hackers' creative artistic spirit."  and that the usual
software development cycle can be modified for AI development.

No documentation or references for these claims were provided in the
article.
____________________________________________________________________________
Infoworld, January 28, 1985 Volume 7, Issue 4
Review of Exsys, an expert system based on a taxonomic approach
Rating: two out of a possible four diskettes.
Performance: good
Documentation: fair
Ease of Use: Fair
Error Handling: Excellent
Support: Good                 Pages 43-44

Review of Expert Ease: This is superseded by a review of a newer
release of their product which I summarized earlier

Review of Expert Choice: page 45-50
This is a decision support system based on Professor Saaty's "Analytic
Hierarchy Process"
Rating: two out of four possible diskettes
performance: good
documentation: good
ease of use: fair
error handling: Excellent
support: four
____________________________________________________________________________
Electronics Week, February 11, 1985, page 45
"Upstart Vendor Makes Waves in Japn's Robot Market"
Talks about Dainichi Kiko Co. which is a small company that is growing
very fast by using novel control circuits to compensate for the weight
of the robot arm when moving it, and by selling turnkey systems.
____________________________________________________________________________
Computer World, April 1, 1985 page 45
Article describing Arthur D. Little's efforts in Artificial
Intelligence applications, particularly to data processing.
____________________________________________________________________________
Electronics Week December 17, 1984 page 17-18
"AI Transforms CAD/CAM to CIM"
describes efforts by CAM-I to integrate engineering work-stations and
automated factories using expert systems.  Also describes work by
Westinghouse Electric Corp to apply expert systems to hybrid circuits,
magnetic dervices, printed circuits, array products.  Computervision
has a system which refers to past experiences and classifies parts into
categories.  They did not call the system AI based at the time but it
can now be considered an AI system.
____________________________________________________________________________
Computer Products March 1985

Intellimac announces the following systems for its IN/7000 series ADA
development super-minis:  Common Lisp, Lisp-To-ADA Translater, an
expert system shell, a CAI system for LISP
____________________________________________________________________________
Computer Products Page 34 March 1985

Frey Associates Inc. announces Themis V1.1 that provides a natural
language in.terface to ORACLE Relational Database and VAX DATATRIEVE.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 85 10:35:51 cst
From: Richard Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Occupational Fatality Associated with a Robot

Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
Center for Disease Control, Atlanta
Vol. 34, No. 11, March 22, 1985.

  "On July 21, 1984, a 34-year-old male worker in Michigan was operating
an automated die-casting system that included an industrial robot.  At
approximately 1:15 p.m., he was found pinned between the back end of the
robot and a 4-inch-diameter steel safety pole used to restrict undesired
arm movement by the robot.  The robot stalled, applying sustained pressure
to the chest of the operator, who experienced cardiopulmonary arrest...
the worker was admitted comatose to a local hospital, where he died 5 days
later."

  The report provides additional details.  Apparently the operator
climbed around the safety bars and was trying to clean up metal scrap
on the floor when he got pinned by the robot.  The operator was thought to
be fairly competent, but had a practice of sneaking into the robot's
work envelope every so often.  He evidently didn't anticipate the motions
of the back of the robot as well as he anticipated the gripper motion.
The company has since installed a chain link fence around the work cell.

  According to the CDC this is the first robot-caused fatality in the U.S.
The report also mentions that 2 fatalities have occured in Japan.  Robot
related injuries occur most often while a robot is being programmed or
repaired, unlike this case.

Back issues of M&M Weekly Report are availible from the publisher,
Massachusetts Medical Society, Waltham, MA.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 3 Apr 85 12:08:37-PST
From: C.S./Math Library <[email-masked]>
Subject:  New Journals In The Math/CS Library

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

The following is a list of some of [Stanford Library's] more recent
subscription purchases:

Abacus

Computers and Artificial Intelligence (Czechoslovakia)

Expert Systems: the international journal of knowledge engineering

ICOT Journal Digest: Fifth Generation Computer Systems

Integration: the VLSI Journal

Journal of Automated Reasoning

Journal of Logic Programming

Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing

Journal of Pascal, Ada & Modula-2

Macworld

Tech Journal; for IBM Personal Computer Users

Technology and Sciences of Information; cover to cover translation of
    Technique et Science Informatiques

HL

------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 Apr 85 12:04:19-PST
From: C.S./Math Library <[email-masked]>
Subject: Mathematical People--New Book in the Math/CS Library

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Mathematical People by Albers and Alexanderson (QA28.M37 1985) has arrived
in the Math/CS Library and is on the new books shelf for sign-ups. This
is the book that includes interviews with Don Knuth, Persi Diaconis, and
George Polya all of Stanford.  Interviews of the following people are
also included:
Garrett Birkhoff,  David Blackwell,  Shing-shen Chern,  John Horton Conway,
H. S. M. Coxeter, Paul Erdos,  Martin Gardner, Ronald L. Graham, Paul R.Halmos,
Peter J. Hilton,  John Kemeny,  Morris Kline,  Benoit Mandelbrot, Henry O.
Pollak,  Mina Rees,  Constance Reid,  Herbert Robbins,  Raymond Smullyan,
Olga Taussky-Todd,  Albert W. Tucker, Stanislaw M. Ulam, and Reminiscences
of Solomon Lefschetz by Albert W. Tucker.

Harry Llull

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 85 09:08:24 est
From: Dennis Perzanowski <dennisp@nrl-aic>
Subject: NCARAI Seminar Series

                      CALL FOR PAPERS

The Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial  Intelli-
gence  (NCARAI),  a  branch of the Naval Research Laboratory
located in Washington, D.C., sponsors  a  bimonthly  seminar
series.   Seminars  are held on alternate Mondays throughout
the year (except summers). The seminars are intended to pro-
mote   interaction  among  individuals  from  the  military,
governmental, industrial and academic communities.

Topics span the various research areas and issues in Artifi-
cial Intelligence with special interests in:

        *Expert Systems
        *Knowledge Representation
        *Learning
        *Logic programs and automated reasoning
        *Natural Language processing
        *New generation architectures

Presentations last for approximately one hour, followed by a
fifteen-minute  question-and-answer  session.   Speakers in-
vited from the academic community are provided  with  a  per
diem and an honorarium.

Please send 3 copies of a 200-250 word abstract to:

        Dennis Perzanowski
        Navy Center for Applied Research
        in Artificial Intelligence
        Naval Research Laboratory -- Code 7510
        Washington, DC  20375-5000

        ARPANET address: [email-masked]
        Telephone: (202) 767-2686 (AV) 297-2686

The committee will consider new  and  interesting  work,  as
well as promising work in progress.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 85 17:15:24 pst
From: gluck@SU-PSYCH (Mark Gluck)
Subject: Workshop - AI and Statistics

        WORKSHOP ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND STATISTICS

                       April 10-12, 1985
              AT&T Conference Center, Princeton, NJ

                   General Chair: William Gale
                     AT&T Bell Laboratories
                        Murray Hill, NJ

Annie G. Brooking   The Analysis Phase in the Development of Knowledge-
                    Based Systems

Keith A. Butler     Use of Psychometric Tools for Knowledge Acquisition:
James E. Corter     A Case Study

Thomas Ellman       Representation of Statistical Computation: Toward Expert
                    Systems with a Deeper Understanding of Statistics

Douglas Fisher      Methods of Conceptual Clustering and their Relation to
Pat Langley         Numerical Taxonomy

John Fox            Decision Making and Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems

William B. Gale     STUDENT Phase I - A report on Work in Progress

David J. Hand       Patterns in Statistical Strategy

Stephen C. Hora     Learning Rates in Supervised and Unsupervised Intelligent
                    Systems

Laveen N. Kanal     Problem Solving Methods for Pattern Recognition
G. R. Dattratreya

R. Wayne Oldford    Implementation and Study of Statistical Strategy
Stephen C. Peters

Robert I. Phelps    Artificial Intelligence Approaches in Statistics
P. B. Musgrove

Darryl Pregibon     A Do-It-Yourself Guide to Statistical Strategy

Steven Salzberg     Pinpointing Good Hypotheses with Heuristics

D.J. Spiegelhalter  A Statistical View of Uncertainty in Expert Systems

Ronald A. Thisted   Representing Statistical Knowledge and Search Strategies
                    for Expert Data Analysis Systems

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************