Subject: AIList Digest V5 #155

From: [email-masked]@vtcs1
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 87 03:30:34 edt

Date: Fri 26 Jun 1987 00:08-PDT
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: AIList Digest   V5 #155
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467

AIList Digest            Friday, 26 Jun 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 155

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - Acquiring Knowledge from the Outside (Rutgers) &
    AI Research at Edinburgh (SRI) &
    Nonmonotonic Multiple Inheritance Systems (Bell Labs)
  Conference - Advanced Computing Symposium &
    European Conference on AI in Medicine

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 87 11:47:53 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Acquiring Knowledge from the Outside (Rutgers)

                     R U T G E R S     U N I V E R S I T Y

                        Department of Computer Science

                              C O L L O Q U I U M

SPEAKER:         Paul Rosenbloom
                 Stanford University

TITLE:           ACQUIRING KNOWLEDGE FROM THE OUTSIDE
                 SOME RECENT PROGRESS ON LEARNING IN SOAR

DATE:           Monday, June 29, 1987
TIME:           10:00 a.m.
PLACE:          Hill Center, Room 705

In  previous  work  on  learning in Soar we have focused on how the chunking of
internal problem solving can acquire the varieties of knowledge required  by  a
general  problem solver; for example, productions can be acquired which perform
operator retrieval, instantiation, selection, and implementation.    One  major
form  of  learning  not  covered  by  this  previous work is the acquisition of
knowledge from external sources.  In this talk  I  will  describe  two  current
projects  which  are examining how the techniques utilized in the previous work
can be employed to learn from external knowledge sources.  The first project is
working  on  the  acquisition of general search control knowledge from external
advice.    This  work  touches  on  issues  of   operationalization,   learning
apprentices, analogy, and generalization.  The second project is working on the
acquisition of declarative knowledge.  This work  demonstrates  for  the  first
time  in  Soar  what Dietterich termed "knowledge level learning"; that is, the
acquisition of knowledge not already in the system's deductive  closure.    One
implication of this demonstration is that explanation-based learning mechanisms
are not inherently limited to symbol level learning.  Issues that  have  arisen
during  this  work include: how to decouple new facts from the context in which
they were learned, how to be able to distinguish what  has  been  learned  from
what   hasn't,  and  how  to  index  declarative  information  for  appropriate
retrieval.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 87 11:32:42 PDT
From: Amy Lansky <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - AI Research at Edinburgh (SRI)

           AI RESEARCH AT EDINBURGH - PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE

                            Roberto Desimone
                         University of Edinburgh

                       2:00 PM, FRIDAY, June 26
              SRI International, Building E, Room EK242

This talk will comprise a review of AI research and other AI
activities that have and are being pursued at Edinburgh.  I will start
with a short history of the early days of AI in Edinburgh in the 1960s
and 1970s, the transition period in the mid to late 1970s and the
revival in 1980s.  Then, I will stress the basic research currently
being conducted within the Dept. of AI at the University of Edinburgh.
Some of the activities conducted within the AI Applications Institute
also in Edinburgh will also be discussed.  Finally, some thoughts on
the future of AI research at Edinburgh.

VISITORS:  Please arrive 5 minutes early so that you can be escorted up
from the E-building receptionist's desk.  Thanks!

NOTE: Different time and place

------------------------------

Date: Thu 25 Jun 1987  14:10:08
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Nonmonotonic Multiple Inheritance Systems (Bell
         Labs)

Date:  Thursday, July 2
Time:  2:00 PM
Place: AT&T Bell Laboratories MH 3D-473

                       David S. Touretzky

                    Computer Science Department
                    Carnegie Mellon University

                 A Clash of Intuitions:  The Current State of
                   Nonmonotonic Multiple Inheritance Systems

Early attempts at combining multiple inheritance with nonmonotonic reasoning
were based on straightforward extensions to tree-structured inheritance
systems, and were theoretically unsound.  In The Mathematics of Inheritance
Systems, or TMOIS, I described two basic problems that these systems cannot
handle.  One involves reasoning with true but redundant assertions; the other
involves ambiguity.

TMOIS provided the definition and analysis of a theoretically sound multiple
inheritance system, accompanied by inference algorithms.  Other definitions for
inheritance have since been proposed by Sandewall and by Horty, Thomason, and
Touretzky that are equally sound and intuitive, but do not always agree with
the system defined in TMOIS.  At the heart of the controversy is a clash of
intuitions about certain fundamental issues such as skepticism versus
credulity, the direction in which inheritance paths are extended, and classical
versus intuitive notions of consistency.  In this talk I will catalog the
issues, map out a design space, and describe interesting properties that result
from certain choices of definitions.  Just as there are alternative logics,
there may be no single ``best'' approach to nonmonotonic multiple inheritance.

This is joint work with Richmond Thomason of the University of Pittsburgh and
John Horty of CMU.

Sponsor: Ron Brachman

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 87 13:14:49 pdt
From: Douglas Schuler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - Advanced Computing Symposium

            DIRECTIONS AND IMPLICATIONS OF ADVANCED COMPUTING

            A One Day Symposium - July 12, 1987
            University of Washington, Seattle, Washington

PROGRAM

On-Site Registration (8:00 - 9:00)

PLENARY SESSION (9:00 - 10:30)

Robert Kahn and Terry Winograd with Gary Chapman

The featured speakers will discuss the role of funding on computer science
research.  How and why are projects selected for funding?  What are the
roles of the Department of Defense, civilian agencies and private sources?
Does it matter where research money comes from?

Robert Kahn is the founder of the non-profit Corporation for National
Research Initiatives, in Washington, D.C.  Until 1985, Kahn was director of
the Information Processing Techniques Office at the Defense Advanced
Research Projects Agency (DARPA).

Terry Winograd is an associate professor of computer science at Stanford
University.  He is author of "Understanding Natural Language", "Language as
a Cognitive Process" and (with Fernando Flores) "Understanding Computers
and Cognition".  Winograd is the national president of Computer
Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR).

The discussion will be moderated by Gary Chapman, Executive Director of
CPSR.  He is co-editor of the book, "Computers in Battle" to be published
this fall.  Chapman is a former member U.S. Special Forces.

PARALLEL SESSIONS

FUNDING (11:00 - 12:00)
David Bushnell - The Promise and Reality of ARPANET: A Brief History
Joel Yudken and Barbara Simons - Project on Funding in Computer Science:
  A Preliminary Report

AI PROSPECTS I (11:00 - 12:00)
Juergen Koenemann    Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Work
Reinhard Keil-Slawik    An Ecological Approach to Responsible
  Systems Development

LUNCH (12:00 - 1:30)

MILITARY/RELIABILITY  (1:30 - 3:00)
Richard Hamlet - Testing for Trustworthiness
David Bella - Fault-tolerant Ballistic Missile Defense
Erik Nilsson - The Costs of Computing Star Wars

EXPERT SYSTEMS  (1:30 - 3:00)
Matthew Lewis and Seth Chaikin - Will There Be Teachers in the Classroom
  of the Future?
Rolf Engelbrecht - Expert Systems in Medicine - A Technology Assessment
Carole Hafner and Donald Berman - The Potential of AI to Help Solve the
  Crisis in Our Legal System

BREAK (3:00 - 3:30)

RESEARCH PRIORITIES (3:30 - 4:30)
Douglas Schuler - A Civilian Computing Initiative: Three Modest Proposals
Jack Beusmans and Karen Wieckert - Artificial Intelligence and the Military

AI PROSPECTS II (3:30 - 4:30)
Susan Landau - The Responsible Use of 'Expert' Systems
K. Eric Drexler - Technologies of Danger and Wisdom

VIDEO
Daressa    Computers in Context
CPSR       Reliability and Risk
videotape on DBNET (a computer mail network for the deaf-blind)

Registration fees

Regular $50 ____
CPSR Member $30 ____
Student/Low Income $20 ____

Proceedings only (cannot attend symposium) $15 ____

Proceedings will be distributed to symposium registrants on day of
symposium.  Lunch is included.

DIAC '87
CPSR/Seattle
P.O. Box 85481
Seattle, WA  98105

        Sponsored by Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 1987 12:32:28 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - European Conference on AI in Medicine

                                EUROPEAN CONFERENCE on

                                ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

                                   in   MEDICINE

                                      __________

                         Marseilles (France), Aug 31st - Sept 3rd

Organized by: AIME, European Society for Artificial Intelligence in Medicine

In  cooperation  with:  IIRIAM,  International  Institute  of  Robotics and
                        Artificial Intelligence of Marseilles.

                        IRCF, Imperial Cancer Research Fund Laboratories, UK

                        GSF-MEDIS, Gesellschaft fur Strahlen und
                        umweltforschung mbH Munchen

                        Laboratoire d'Informatique Medicale de la Faculte de
                        Medecine de Marseille.

                                PROGRAM
                                _______

                        WORKSHOP and TUTORIALS
                        ----------------------

Monday, August 31st:

Tutorial 1:
9.00 - 13.00    Acquisition of Knowledge from Medical databases
Gio C.M.  Wiederhold, M.  Walker, R.L. Blum, Stanford University (USA)

Tutorial 2:
14.00 - 18.00   Methods and Techniques used in Expert Systems
Jan L. Talmon, Henny P.A. Boshuizen, University of Limburg (NL)

Tutorial 3:
14.00 - 18.00   Knowledge representation
Steen Andreassen, University of Aalborg (DK), Mike Wellman, MIT (USA)

Workshop:
9.00 - 13.00    From Mycin to Oncocin
Larry Fagan, Stanford University (USA)

                                CONFERENCE
                                ----------

Tuesday, September 1st, 1987

9.00 - 9.30     Opening Session
9.30  - 10.30   Invited Keynote speaker:  J.H.  Van Bemmel, Free University of
                Amsterdam
10.30 - 11.00   Break

Session 1: Methodology

11.00 - 11.30   "INTERMED": a medical language interface.
                Mery C., Normier B., Orgonowski A. (F)

11.30 - 12.00   Inference engineering through prototyping in Prolog
                Van Thilo J., Mulders A. (B)

12.00 - 12.30   The  evaluation  of  clinical  decision  support  systems:  a
                discussion of the methodology used in the ACORN project.
                Wyatt J. (UK)
12.30 - 13.00   Matching  patients:  an  approach to decision support in Liver
                transplantation.
                Tusch G., Bernauer J., Reichertz P.L. (FRG)

13.00 - 14.00   Lunch

Session 2: Clinical Applications (1)

14.30 - 15.00   An  expert  system  for  diagnosis  and  therapy  planning  in
                patients with peripheral vascular disease.
                Talmon  J.L.,  Schijven  R.A.J.,  Kitslaar  P.J.E.H.M.,
                Penders R. (NL)

15.00 - 15.30   An  expert  system  for the  classification  of Dizziness  and
                Vertigo.
                Schmid R.,  Zanocco P.,  Buizza A.,  Magenes G.,  Manfrin M.,
                Mira E. (I)

15.30 - 16.00   The SENEX system, a microcomputer-based expert system built by
                oncologists for breast cancer management.
                Renaud-Salis J.L.,  Bonichon F.,  Durand M.,  Avril A.,
                Lagarde C. (F).

16.00 - 16.30   Break

Session 3: Qualitative Reasoning

16.30 - 17.00   The use of  QSIM for Qualitative  simulation of  physiological
                systems.
                Nicolosi E., Leaning M. (UK)

17.00 - 17.30   Qualitative description of electrophysiologic measurements:
                toward automatic data interpretation.
                Irler W.J., Antolini R., Kirchner M., Stringa L. (I)

17.30 - 18.00   A   qualitative   spatial   representation  for  cardiac
                Electrophysiology.
                Gotts N. (UK)

18.45           Cocktail at the city hall of Marseilles.

Wednesday September 2nd 1987{

Session 4: Knowledge acquisition and representation

9.00 - 9.30     Knowledge acquisition in expert system assisted diagnosis:
                a machine learning approach
                Funk M., Appel R.D., Roch Ch., Hochstrasse D., Pellegrini Ch.,
                Muller A.F., (CH)

9.30 - 10.00    Knowledge representation for cooperative medical systems
                Rector A.L. (UK)

10.00 - 10.30   A representation of time for medical expert systems
                Hamlet I., Hunter J. (UK)

10.30 - 11.00   Break

Session 5: Management of uncertainty

11.00 - 11.30   TOULMED an inference engine which deals with imprecise and
                uncertain aspects of medical knowledge.
                Buisson J.C., Farreny H., Prade H., Turnin M.C., Tauber J.P.,
                Bayard F. (F)

11.30 - 12.00   Coherent handling of uncertainty via localized computation in
                an expert system for therapeutic decision.
                Berzuini C., Barosi G., Polino G. (I)

12.00 - 12.30   MUNIN, on the case for probabilities in medical expert systems
                a pratical exercise.
                Jensen F.V., Andersen S.K., Kjaerulff U., Andreassen S. (DK)

12.30 - 13.00   Rule based expert systems in gynecology: statistical versus
                heuristic approach
                Riss P.A., Koelbl H., Reinthaller A., Deutinger J. (Austria)

Afternoon: Social Program

Thursday September 3rd

Session 6: Knowledge Engineering tools.

9.00 - 9.30     A radiological expert system for the P.C., design and
                Implementation issues.
                Horn W., Imhof H., Pfahringer B., Salamonowitz E., (Austria)

9.30  -  10.00  A  P.C  based  shell  for  clinical information systems with
                reasoning capabilities
                Wiener F., Groth T. (Israel, Sweden)

10.00 - 10.30   The   kernel  mechanism  for  handling  assumptions  and
                justifications and its applications to the biotechnologies
                Cherubini M.A., Cerri S.A., Sbarbati R. (I)

10.30 - 11.00   Break

Session 7: General Session

11.00 - 12.00   Invited Lecture
                Larry Fagan, Stanford University (USA)

12.00 - 12.30   Man-machine interaction in CHECK
                Console L., Fossa M., Torasso P., Molino G., Cravetto G (I)

12.30 - 13.00   The Oxford system of medicine
                Fox J., Glowinski A., O'Neil M. (UK)

13.00 - 14.30   Lunch

Session 8: Clinical Applications (2)

14.30 - 15.00   Evaluating the performance of AMEMIA
                Quaglini S., Stefanelli M., Barosi G., Berzuini A. (I)

15.00 - 15.30   Computer aided diagnosis and treatment of brachial plexus
                injuries.
                Jaspers R.B.M., Van der Helm F.C.T. (NL)

15.30 - 16.00   Representation of embryonic development and its anomalies.
                Goutal J.M., Philip N., Griffiths M., Ayme S. (F)

16.00 - 16.30   A microcomputer based decision support for lipid desorder.
                Fhaircheallaigh D.N., Sinnot M., Grimson J., O'Moore R. (Eire)

16.30 - 17.00   Closing session

Program Committee:

J. Fox, London                  Chairman
P. Adlassnig, Vienna
R. Engelbrecht, Munich          Tutorial
M. Fieschi, Marseille
F. Gremy, Montpellier (F)
T. Groth, Upsalla
A. Hasman, Maastricht
A.L., Rector, Manchester
P.L. reichertz, Hannover
P. Smets, Brussels
M. Stefanelli, Pavia

Organizing committee:
M. Fieschi                      Chairman
V. Bernadac                     Organization
P. Dujol
B. Guisiano                     Social events
M. Joubert                      Local arrangements
D. Riouall                      Liaison
M. Roux
G. Soula                        Exhibition

Additionnal Informations:
                                Viviane Bernadac
                                IIRIAM
                                2 rue Henri Barbusse, CMCI
                                13241 Marseille Cedex 1 - FRANCE
                                tel: (33) 91 91 36 72
                                telex: 440 860
                                telefax: (33) 91 91 70 24

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************