Subject: AIList Digest V5 #125

From: [email-masked]@vtcs1
Date: Thu, 21 May 87 03:19:12 edt

Date: Wed 20 May 1987 22:06-PDT
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: AIList Digest   V5 #125
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467

AIList Digest           Thursday, 21 May 1987     Volume 5 : Issue 125

Today's Topics:
  Bindings - Mailing List for Lucid Users,
  Queries - Consistency and Completeness Checking &
    Knowledge-Based Document Retrieval,
  AI Tools - Commonlisp for IBM/AT & Chart Parser References,
  Philosophy - The Symbol Grounding Problem,
  Humor - Spelling Correction for Jabberwocky

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 May 1987  11:10 EDT
From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Mailing List for Lucid Users

We have set up an ARPAnet mailing list, "[email-masked]", for the
exchange of information related to Lucid Common Lisp.  This mailing list
is meant to function as a sort of informal users' group; it is not under
the control of Lucid, though some Lucid people will receive it.
"Lucites" is an appropriate channel for queries, programming hints, and
the sharing of software (large programs can be announced but should not
be distributed over this mailing list).  "Lucites" is not an appropriate
channel for bug reports, commercial announcements, or sales pitches.

Because our machine's capacity to forward mail is limited, we must
reserve the right to refuse any request to add more than two recipients
to the list from any given site; if you have three or more people who
want to receive this mail, you are expected to set up you own local
redistribution list or to direct the mail to a bulletin board that your
people can access.  (If anyone wants to set up a version of this list
without such restrictions, please contact us and we will gladly turn the
task over to you.)

To get your name on the list, send mail to
"[email-masked]".  Requests sent to us personally will be
ignored.  Requests sent to the mailing list as a whole will result in
scorn and abuse being heaped upon you.  If any address on the list
starts bouncing mail sent to it, it will be excised from the list at
once.

Scott E. Fahlman
David B. McDonald

Computer Science Department
Carnegie-Mellon University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 May 87 10:09:30 SST
From: Eng-Lian Lim <[email-masked]>
Subject: References on consistency and completeness checking

WANTED!!!

   I urgently need references on consistency and completeness checking
on rule-based expert systems with 1st order predicates, including
possible reasoning and approximate reasoning.

   Many thanks in advance...

Regards - Eng-Lian Lim
MAIL TO: ISCLIMEL@NUSVM <--- BitNet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 May 87 13:44:40+0900
From: [email-masked] (Kim Young Whan)
Subject: References on Knowledge-based Document Retrieval

 I'm writing a Ph.D Thesis about Knowledge Based System for Document
Retrieval, especially about rule based system using uncertainty handling
mechanism (Bayesian, D-S Theory, Fuzzy Set Theory).

I'm looking for any reference having anything to do with it.

 I'm also interesting in public-domain programs that are related to this field.
Sources written in LISP(Common LISP, GCLISP,Frantz-LISP, Zeta LISP) would be
preferred.

 The information obtained will be collected and summarized and made
available to researcher on request.
 Thanks for your assistance.

Young-Whan Kim
Dept. of CS KAIST
P.O.Box 150, Cheongryang
Seoul, 131
Republic of Korea.

[email-masked](from cs-net)
[email-masked](from bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: 19 May 87 17:03:00 GMT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Commonlisp for IBM/AT ? - (nf)

[ National lineeater week... ]

How about GCLISP? It is a nice system including editor, compiler and provides
a sensible CommonLISP environment even on the relatively small IBM PCs.

Juergen Wagner,              (USENET) ...seismo!unido!iaoobel!wagner
("Gandalf")                      Fraunhofer Institute IAO, Stuttgart

------------------------------

Date: 20 May 87 01:47:46 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Tom
      "Oliver W. Jones" Emerson)
Subject: Chart Parser and Related References

Many people have requested sources for further research into chart parsers.
I have also included several sources related to parsing formalisms:

Hirakawa, H. "Chart Parsing in Concurrent PROLOG".  TR-008, ICOT,
        Tokyo, Japan: May 1983

Kay, M. "Experimenting with a Powerful Parser", Proc. 2nd Int. COLING,
        August 1967

Winograd, T. Language as a Cognitive Process, Volume 1: Syntax.
        Addison-Wesley, 1983

Relating to Parsing Formalisms:

Emerson, T. "Parsing Formalisms", AI EXPERT, May 1987

Matsumoto, Y., Tanaka, H., Hirakawa, H., Miyoshi, H., Yasukawa, H.,
        Mukai, K. and Yokoi, T. "BUP: A Bottom Up Parser
         Embedded in PROLOG"  ICOT, 1983

------------------------------

Date: 20 May 87 03:21:31 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Stevan Harnad)
Subject: The symbol grounding problem

John X. Laporta <rutgers!mit-eddie!apollo!laporta> Apollo Computer,
Chelmsford, MA wrote:

>       You say that symbols are grounded in nonsymbolic sensory input.
>       You propose a model of segmentation... by which discontinuities
>       in the input map to segment boundaries... I wonder what you do with
>       the problem of segmentation of the visual spectrum.
>       ...spectral segmentations differ widely across cultures.
>       The problem is that these breaks and their number vary widely...
>       what system intervenes to choose the set a particular culture favors
>       and asserts as obvious? What is the filter in the A/D converter?

More recent evidence seems to suggest that color segmentation does not
vary nearly as widely as had been believed (see M. Bornstein's work). There
may be some variability in the tuning of color boundaries, and some
sub-boundaries may be added sometimes, but the focal colors are governed by our
innate color receptor apparatus and they seem to be universal. The
partial flexibility of the boundaries -- short and long term -- must
be governed by learning, and the learning must consist of readjustment
of boundary locations as a function of color naming experience and
feedback, or perhaps even the formation of new sub-boundaries where
there are none. The innate color-detector mechanism would be the A/D
filter in the default case, and learning may set some of the boundary
fine-tuning parameters.

The really interesting case, though, and one that has not been tested
directly yet, is the one where boundary formation occurs de novo purely
as a result of learning. This does not happen with evolutionarily "prepared"
categories such as colors (although it may have happened in phylogeny),
but it may happen with arbitrary learned ones (e.g., perhaps musical
semitones). Here the A/D filter would be acquired from categorization
training alone: labeling with feedback. In simple one-dimensional continua,
what would be acquired would simply be some sort of a threshold
detector, but with more complex multidimensional stimuli the
feature-filter would have to be constructed by a more active inductive
process. This may be where connectionist algorithms come in.

Another important factor in the selectivity of the A/D feature-filter
is the "context" of alternatives: the sample of confusable members and
nonmembers of the categories in question on the basis of which the
features must be extracted; these also focus the uncertainty that the
filter must resolve if it is to generate reliable categorization
performance.

All this is described in the book under discussion (Categorical
Perception: The Groundwork of Cognition, Cambridge University Press
1987, S. Harnad, Ed.).

--

Stevan Harnad                                  (609) - 921 7771
{bellcore, psuvax1, seismo, rutgers, packard}  !princeton!mind!harnad
[email-masked]       [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 18 May 87 12:27:57-PDT
From: Lee Altenberg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Humor - Spelling Correction

After reading about PROFS, I discovered that my PC-WRITE software has
a spell-checker with a "Guess" feature that is like PROFS.  Below are
three actual revisions of Jabberwocky produced by PC-WRITE, "Jabbing:,
"Jabs", and "Suppress", employing the first, second, and third guesses,
respectively, of PC-WRITE.  Some of the poetic leaps I think you'll find
extraordinary.  AI is a whole new frontier.  The religious and political
overtones are those of PC-WRITE, not my own.

Jabbing

'Tweak brim, and the slits tow
Did gyrfalcon and gimmicks in the wac:
All min were the boron,
And the moment ratification outgrow.

"Beware the Jabbing, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Judaism bird, and shun
The frustrate Bandies!"

He took is vortex sword in hand:
Long time the many foe he sought -
So rested he by the Tumult tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in ufos thought he stood,
The Jabbing, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffs through the tulip wood,
And burch as it came!

One, two! One, two!  And through and through
The vortex blade went snickered-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galvanic back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabbing?
Come to my arms, my beams boy!
O fracas day!  Callous!  Called!
He chortled in his joy.

'Tweak brim, and the slits tow
Did gyrfalcon and gimmicks in the wac:
All min were the boron,
And the moment ratification outgrow.

Jabs

'Tweaks brimful, and the slitter toward
Did gyrfalcons and gimpy in the wacky:
All minaret were the borough,
And the momentarily ratified outgrows.

"Beware the Jabs, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Judas bird, and shun
The frustrated Banding!"

He took his vortices sword in hand:
Long time the mao foe he sought -
So rested he by the Tumultuous tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uganda thought he stood,
The Jabs, with eyes of flame,
Came whig through the tulips wood,
And burden as it came!

One, two! One, two!  And through and through
The vortices blade went snider-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galvanism back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabs?
Come to my arms, my bean boy!
O fraction day!  Calloused!  Calligraphy!
He chortled in his joy.

'Tweaks brimful, and the slitter toward
Did gyrfalcons and gimpy in the wacky:
All minaret were the borough,
And the momentarily ratified outgrows.

Suppress

'Ts farewells, and the sled advice
Did gro and compel in the vow:
All mimeos were the breakups,
And the mm radios outcrop.

"Beware the Suppress, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Shipshape bird, and shun
The freeing Bandersnatch!"

He took his barfly sword in hand:
Long time the manikin foe he sought -
So rested he by the Automation tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in abbeys thought he stood,
The Suppress with eyes of flame,
Came affluence through the atlas wood,
And fairfield as it came!

One, two! One, two!  And through and through
The barfly blade went snigger-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went clamping back.

"And hast thou slain the Suppress?
Come to my arms, my baying boy!
O barbecues day!  Call!  Call!
He chortled in his joy.

'Ts farewells, and the sled advice
Did gro and compel in the vow:
All mimeos were the breakups,
And the mm radios outcrop.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************