Subject: AIList Digest V5 #117

From: [email-masked]@vtcs1
Date: Fri, 15 May 87 04:07:49 edt

Date: Mon 11 May 1987 23:51-PDT
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: AIList Digest   V5 #117
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467

AIList Digest            Tuesday, 12 May 1987     Volume 5 : Issue 117

Today's Topics:
  Administrivia - BITNET Distribution,
  AI Tools - Source Code Archives

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: SCHNEIDER Daniel <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Administrivia - BITNET Distribution

Newsgroups: mod.ai
Organization: University of Geneva, Switzerland

HI,

Lot's of people in Switzerland (and elsewhere too I guess) have access
to both BITNET and usenet, sometimes on two different machines, e.g. there
is very often a VMS/BITNET and a UNIX/usenet VAX around.

... so maybe you could ask all these people to use rn (i.e. the newsgroup
system) on unix and tell them that this way they save a lot of space
for *themselves*. A lot of people (even on unix) just don't know about mod.ai !

-Daniel

Daniel K.Schneider
ISSCO, University of Geneva, 54 route des Acacias, 1227 Carouge (Switzerland)
Tel. (..41) (22) 20 93 33 ext. 2114
          to VMS/BITNET:                    to UNIX/EAN (preferable):
BITNET:   SCHNEIDER@CGEUGE51                shneider%cui.unige.chunet@CERNVAX
ARPA:     SCHNEIDER%CGEUGE51.BITNET@WISCVM  [email-masked]
                                        or: [email-masked]
uucp:                                       mcvax!cernvax!cui!shneider

  [I've held this message a lot longer than I should have, partly
  because I don't really understand what goes on on the other
  side of the gateways.  I'm not sure, for instance, whether
  mod.ai is still mod.ai since the recent name reorganization.
  Anyway, there is a moderated newsgroup and an unmoderated one
  (comp.ai, formerly net.ai); together they provide all that is
  in the Arpanet AIList digests plus occasionally a little bit
  more that I choose not to pass along.  You can certainly cut
  mailer costs if you drop direct digest delivery in favor of the
  Usenet newsgroup distribution.  For those of you with access to
  BITNET, redistribution via the FINHUTC LISTSERV utility should
  also be prefered to direct distribution.  (FINHUTC seems to be
  the only such LISTSERV at the moment; I'm told that other
  LISTSERVs will pass AIList signups on to that host.)  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 87 10:21:04 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Policy - Source Code Archives

  [The following tells all you would ever want to know about
  the mod.sources code redistribution.  I give up on trying
  to make a summary of how one would access the AI Expert code
  (if it has even been submitted).  Anyone who figures that out
  might send us a little summary.  Meanwhile Lawrence Leff tells
  me that the North Texas AI Association has nearly finished
  setting up a redistribution system for code and for report
  lists.  Thanks, everyone!  -- KIL]

Well, here be the articles wherein i found the information on SIMTEL-20 and
mod.sources.  I think the SIMTEL article is from the moderator of their
archives, and the mod.sources one definitely is.  I kept all the mail
headers in the hopes that they will make it easier to contact them
(always difficult on an amorphous net.)

                                        R Mark Chilenskas
                                        decvax!genrad!panda!rmc

>From panda!genrad!mit-eddie!mirror!sources-request
Article: 737 of mod.sources
Path: teddy!panda!genrad!mit-eddie!mirror!sources-request
>From: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: mod.sources
Subject: v09INF1:  Introduction to mod.sources
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 87 21:13:12 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Lines: 191
Approved: [email-masked]

Submitted by: Rich Salz <[email-masked]>
Mod.sources: Volume 9, Info 1
Archive-name: index9.1

This is the first of two introductory messages about mod.sources.  This
one describes how to submit source to mod.sources, where the archive
sites are, and how to contact them.  The companion articles lists all
previously-published mod.sources articles.

I am always looking for suggestions on how to improve the usefulness
of mod.sources, and can be contacted as listed below.
                        -Rich Salz

    --------------------------------------------------------
               SUBMITTING SOURCE FOR PUBLICATION

Items intended for posting should be sent to mirror!sources; requests
for missing copies or other queries should be sent to mirror!sources-request.
In Australia, Robert Elz is a "sub-moderator"; people there can work
with him ([email-masked]) to get postings out more easily.

If you want verification of arrival, so say in a cover note, or at the
beginning of your submission, if it is small.  I try to verify that a
program works, and if I can't get it to work, I may hold up posting it
for a couple of days.  Please note that, except in rare cases, source
without documentation and a Makefile will not be published.  The backlog
from receival to posting is now about two weeks; this will probably
shrink down to one week in the upcoming weeks.

When you send mail, MAKE SURE to include a return address relative to
some well-known site(s).  When all else fails, my conventional address
and phone number are:
        Rich $alz
        Mirror Systems
        2067 Massachusetts Avenue
        Cambridge, MA  02140
        617-661-0777

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                THE STRUCTURE OF MOD.SOURCES ARTICLES

Each posting in mod.sources is called an "issue"; there are 100 issues
to a volume.  The division is arbitrary, and has varied greatly in the
past.  There are two types of articles in mod.sources; sources and
"information postings."  They can be distinguished by the subject
line:
        Subject:  v07INF8:  Index for Volume 7 and other info
This first word in the title identifies this as the eight info posting
in volume seven.  Similarly, the subject line shown below:
        Subject:  v07i081:  Public-domain Unix kernel
identifies this as the 81st source article in Volume 7.  Large sources
are broken up into smaller pieces, and have subject lines that look like
this:
        Subject:  v07i082:  System VI Source Distribution, Part03/08

The first few lines of an article are auxiliary headers that look like this:
    Submitted by: [email-masked]
    Mod.sources: Volume 7, Issue 82
    Archive-name: new-login
The "Submitted by" is the author of the program.  If you have comments about
the sources published in mod.sources, this is the person to contact.
When possible, this address is in domain form, otherwise it is a UUCP bang
path relative to site "mirror" (my machine).

The second line repeats the volume/issue information for the aide of NOTES
sites and automatic archiving programs.

The Archive-name is the "official" name of this source in the archive.  Large
postings will have names that look like this:
    Archive-name: patch2/Part01
Please try to use this name when requesting that sources be mailed to you.
Also, note that the "part number" given in the title, and the archive name
given in the auxiliary header need not be identical.

     -------------------------------------------------------------
                    ACCESSING THE MOD.SOURCES ARCHIVE

The complete mod.sources archives are fairly large:
        Volume    Size (Kbytes)
          1           4004
          2           1204
          3           3434
          4           4220
          5           390
          6           4220
          7           3976
          8           4416

There are several active archive sites around the net.  I am particularly
interested in helping set up a BITNET archive.  A French archive site
is being set up, and it may be extended to provide full European coverage;
I will post more information as soon as things are settled.

When you request something before Volume 6, please make sure to be as
descriptive as possible as articles before then do not have official
names.

Several sites below will send tapes through the mail.  For those sites,
send a 1/2" mag tape WITH RETURN POSTAGE and RETURN MAILER.  Tapes
without postage or mailer will not be returned.  No other methods (COD,
etc.) are available; please don't ask.

Finally, please note that I am Rich $alz, rs@mirror; Rick Adams is
rick@seismo, and Rich Kulawiec is [email-masked]; we appreciate
the extra effort to get our names right. :-)

1.   Phil Burdi has an archive on-line; contact [email-masked] for more
     info.  He has also set up an off-hours UUCP login providing anonymous
     UUCP access to the archives.  The L.sys (Systems file) entry looks like:
     (for HoneyDanBer UUCP users)
             cuaepd Wk1830-0530,Sa,Su ACU 1200 3129643773 in:--in: pduucp
     (for other UUCP users)
             cuaepd Any1830-0530 ACU 1200 3129643773 in:--in: pduucp
     Retrieve the file cuaepd!~/netnews/mod.sources/howto.snarf and follow the
     directions therein.

2.   Pyramid Technology has an archive arranged topically, and in compressed
     tar files.  They are happy to take new UUCP connections.  They are also
     somewhat willing to make tapes for people to come by and pick up,
     provided you call WELL in advance and bring lunch money.  This is being
     managed by Claudia Dimmers and/or Carl Gutekunst.  Contact
     pyramid!usenet for more info.

3.   Robert Elz ([email-masked]) keeps mod.sources in different ways
     depending on his available disk space; contact him for more info.

4.   Thos Sumner at UCSF will respond to requests for material, but cannot
     promise an ongoing commitment.  Anyone requesting material via mail
     should supply a path from ucbvax.  Anyone requesting tape should
     contact me first.  Contact him at [email-masked], or
     ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.UCSF!thos

5.   Tom Patterson at Washington University can make 800/1600/6250 BPI
     tar tapes.  If you give him a "real good reason," he can also make
     1600 BPI VMS BACKUP or ANSI tapes.  Send your tape, mailer, and postage
     to Tom at:
             Engineering Computer Lab, Bryan 509
             Lindell & Skinker Blvd
             Washington University
             St. Louis, MO 63130
     For best results, first send mail to wucs!archive (you stand a better
     chance of getting processed quickly that way).

6.   Jim Thompson (otto!jim) can make 1600 and 6250 tar and cpio tapes,
     as well as VMS backup in a real pinch.  He will also provide a
     temporary UUCP login for interested parties at 1200 or 2400 baud.
     His postal address is:
             Jim Thompson
             c/o Sun Teleguide
             2551 Green Valley Pkwy
             Henderson, Nv. 89015
             (702) 454-4636

7.   Of course, I have a complete set of archives.  I can mail individual
     postings, make files available for UUCP, and will send tapes (1600
     BPI tar; 6250 or cpio in a crunch).  Last time I checked, it cost
     about $3 to send a 2400' tape across the country in a padded envelope
     via first-class mail.

8.   Rick Adams ([email-masked]) provides archive access to those on the
     Internet.  Access is available directly via anonymous FTP (Outside of
     9am-7pm EST M-F.) The files are in a directory mod.sources, then a
     sub-directory Volume[1-7]. They are named as closely as possible to the
     names in the Index.  Files that have not been assigned a "short name"
     reside in the directory sources/mod temporarily.  Send tape, mailer,
     and postage to Rick at:
         Center for Seismic Studies
         1300 North 17th Street, Suite 1450
         Arlington, VA 22209-3871

9.   Internet sites may also retrieve archives from j.cc.purdue.edu via
     anonymous ftp.  The archive is in the directory "mod.sources",
     subdivided into "volume1", etc.  Due to disk space considerations,
     many of the sources are compressed; these may be recognized by the
     ".Z" suffix.  If you don't have compress & friends, they are in
     ~ftp/pub/compress.shar for the taking.  This is being managed by
     Rich Kulawiec (Wombat), pucc-j!rsk, [email-masked].  If your
     host tables don't grok "j.cc.purdue.edu", try "purdue-asc.arpa".
     They would appreciate it if you would avoid large file transfers
     in the middle of the day.  [Rick also points out that the FTP'able
     archies also contain mod.amiga, a bunch of kermit sources, news
     2.11, rn 4.3, nntp, and whatever else happens to be in ~ftp/pub at
     the moment.]

10.  The CSNET CIC has been doing a fair amount of work to bring their
     automated retrieval up-to-speed.  They now have a complete archive,
     and are making things available as quickly as possible (they have
     special legal restrictions on what they can distribute, so everything
     may not be available).  Look in the latest issue of the CSNET Forum,
     or contact [email-masked].

________

>From panda!genrad!decvax!ucbvax!ucbcad!ames!styx!lll-lcc!seismo!brl-adm
    !brl-smoke!w8sdz
Article: 2430 of comp.sys.ibm.pc
Path: teddy!panda!genrad!decvax!ucbvax!ucbcad!ames!styx!lll-lcc!seismo!brl-adm
    !brl-smoke!w8sdz
>From: [email-masked] (Keith B. Petersen )
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: "pr" for dos
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Mar 87 04:28:30 GMT
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
    <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Keith B. Petersen (WSMR|towson) <w8sdz>)
Distribution: na
Organization: Ballistic Research Lab (BRL), APG, MD.
Lines: 106
Status: RO

To obtain up to five files in a single request message by netmail from
the public domain archives kept on SIMTEL20.ARPA, send a message to:

[email-masked]

or via uucp:
   ...!ucbvax!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!uw-beaver!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!decwrl!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!lll-crg!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!ut-sally!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!harvard!simtel20.arpa!archive-request

[do NOT use host "seismo" - they are blocking messages from the server]

The message body must contain lines beginning with the keyword SEND,
one SEND line for each file requested.  Case is not significant.

The general syntax of a SEND line is:

SEND format filename

In general, a filename consists of the following components:

device:<directory>file.type.generation

"device:" is usually PD:, and the combination of PD:<directory> is
expected unless an alias has been advertised of the form "alias:",
which takes the place of both device and directory fields.  The
generation field should be left off in order to default to the highest
generation number so you can be sure of getting the latest version of
the file requested.  "file.type" follows the usual filenaming
conventions.

In all formats listed below, if the file to be sent is larger than
55K, the file is sent in numbered parts.  The parts must be
reassembled in order and edited to remove any headers, preface, and
trailers before the process can be reversed to reconstruct the
original file.

Allowable formats are:

SEND HELP
        This file you are reading now.

SEND INFO
        A detailed description of the SIMTEL20 Archives, which
        includes this file, pointers to certain key files, and
        descriptions of various file transfer programs and related
        utilities.

SEND BOOTSTRAP
        A brief quick reference listing of filenames of the key
        utilities used to reconstruct files sent by the compression
        and encoding techniques listed below.

SEND DIR filespec
        This format returns a CRC list of the requested files, and is
        the only format which allows wildcard filenames (but not
        wildcard directory names).  The list is sent as an ASCII text
        file.  The wildcard characters are "*" and "%".  The asterisk
        means any number of characters, while the percent sign means
        exactly one character.  Either or both may appear in any
        combination in either or both the file or type fields, while
        only the asterisk may appear in the generation field.

SEND RAW filename
        If the file is ASCII, it is sent as-is, regardless of size.
        This format is the least efficient over network and mail
        gateway resources.  Use this format only if you absolutely
        must.

With the four formats listed below, if the file is ASCII and under 25k
characters, it is sent as-is, as if RAW format was requested.  Binary
files are always processed according to the requested format.
However, a request for ARC or SQ processing of files with type ".ARC",
".LBR", or ".%Q%" is ignored and the original file is either uuencoded
or hexified (if possible), according to the requested format.  If the
file was not sent RAW, a short preface is inserted at the front of the
message describing the process actually taken and a CRC entry
describing the original file.

SEND ARE filename  or  SEND filename
        The original file is made into a uuencoded ARC file.

SEND ARH filename
        The original file is made into a hexified ARC file if the ARC
        file is under 64K bytes long.  Otherwise, an apology is
        returned instead of the requested file.

SEND SQE filename
        The original file is made into a uuencoded SQueezed file.

SEND SQH filename
        The original file is made into a hexified SQueezed file if the
        Squeezed file is under 64K bytes long.  Otherwise, an apology
        is returned instead of the requested file.

To get started in finding your way around the SIMTEL20 archives, send
a message to the server with the request: SEND INFO

--
--Keith Petersen
Arpa: [email-masked]
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************