Subject: AIList Digest V4 #59

From: vtcs1::bitnet% (AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 86 11:37:04 est

Received: From WISCVM(SMTPUSR1) by VTCS1 with RSCS id 2138
          for FOX@VTCS1; Thu, 17-APR-1986 11:39 EST
Received: from SRI-AI.ARPA by wiscvm.wisc.edu on 04/17/86 at 08:14:48 CST
Mail-From: LAWS created at 19-Mar-86 10:36:59
Date: Wed 19 Mar 1986 10:33-PST
From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #59
To: AIList@SRI-AI
ReSent-date: Wed 16 Apr 86 21:54:40-PST
ReSent-From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
ReSent-To: [email-masked]

AIList Digest           Wednesday, 19 Mar 1986     Volume 4 : Issue 59
     
Today's Topics:
  Seminars - Learning Symbolic Object Models from Images (MIT) &
    Exploration, Search, and Discovery (Rutgers) &
    Learning Arguments of Functional Descriptions (Rutgers),
  Seminar Series - AI in Design and Manufacturing (SU),
  Conference - Object Oriented Database Systems &
    US Army (ARO) AI Workshop
     
----------------------------------------------------------------------
     
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1986  22:44 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Learning Symbolic Object Models from Images (MIT)
     
       [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by [email-masked].]

Thursday , March 20  4:00pm  Room: NE43- 8th floor Playroom
     
                    The Artificial Intelligence Lab
                        Revolving Seminar Series

               LEARNING SYMBOLIC OBJECT MODELS FROM IMAGES
     
                            Jonathan Connell
     
                              AI Lab, MIT
     
This talk will present the results of an implemented system for
learning structural prototypes of objects directly from gray-scale
images.  The vision component of this system employs Brady's Smoothed
Local Symmetries to divide an object into parts which are then
described symbolically.  The learning component takes these
descriptions and forms a model of the examples presented in a manner
similar to Winston's ANALOGY program.  The problem of matching complex
structured descriptions and the difficult task of reasoning about
function from form will also be briefly discussed.

Refreshments at 3:30
     
------------------------------
     
Date: 14 Mar 86 14:34:24 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Exploration, Search, and Discovery (Rutgers)
     
Exploration, Search and Discovery
     
By:
Michael Sims ([email-masked])
Departments of Mathematics and Computer Science
Rutgers University
     
March 18, 1986, Tuesday, 11 AM
Hill Center #423
     
Search has shown immense utility as a theoretical description of what
our computer programs do.  We would like to apply the same descriptive
methods to describing discovery systems, such as Eurisko, Bacon, or
the speaker's IL (named for Imre Lakatos) system.  Some investigations
by discovery systems are of a sufficiently distinct character, that it
has proved useful to create a new classification for them, called
Exploration.
     
To form the appropriate distinctions we begin by giving a definition of
what Newell and Simon called Physical Symbol Systems in their Turing
Award Lecture.  We then describe two subclasses of Physical Symbol
Systems: 'Search' and 'Exploration'.  Search roughly corresponds to what
is most frequently meant by the term, and contains an explicit test for
a solution structure.  Exploration on the other hand has no explicit
termination condition, and hence does not value the elements of the
exploration space in terms of a solution structure.
     
Discovery may be done by either exploration or search.  Eurisko and IL
do exploration at the top level, although many of their subtasks are
accomplished via searches.  On the other hand, Bacon and IL-BP, an
explanation based learning component of IL, do discovery by doing
search.
     
Although many problems can be implemented as either search or
exploration, some problem are more naturally, or efficiently
implemented as one or the other.  This new classification leads to an
evaluation of the relative efficiencies, the appropriateness
of introducing randomness, and the different roles played by the
search and the exploration evaluation functions.
     
------------------------------
     
Date: 18 Mar 86 13:06:15 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Learning Arguments of Functional Descriptions (Rutgers)
     
                    Machine Learning Colloquium

         LEARNING ARGUMENTS OF INVARIANT FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTIONS
     
                        Mieczyslaw M. Kokar
                      Northeastern University
                       360 Huntington Avenue
                         Boston, MA 02115
     
                     11 AM, March 25, Tuesday
                         #423, Hill Center

The main subject of this presentation is discovery of concepts from
observation. The focus is on a special kind of concepts - arguments of
functional descriptions. The functions considered here are to be
meaningful, i.e., computable functions expressed in terms of the operations
defining the representation language in which the concepts are described.
Such functions are invariant under transformations of the representation
language into equivalent representations.
     
It will be shown that the feature of invariance can be utilized in
formulating and testing hypotheses about relevance of arguments of functional
descriptions. The main point is that the arguments do not need to be changed
to test the relevance. This is very important to the discovery process as the
arguments to be discovered are not known, therefore, how could they be
controlled?
     
Simple examples of discovering concepts of physical parameters (arguments
of physical laws) will be discussed.
     
------------------------------
     
Date: Tue 18 Mar 86 12:44:05-PST
From: Marty Tenenbaum <Tenenbaum@SRI-KL>
Subject: Seminar Series - AI in Design and Manufacturing (SU)

        Seminar on A.I. in Design and Manufacturing

Time:     Every Wednesday from 4-5:30 during Spring Quarter.
Location: Terman Engineering Center, room 556, Stanford.
     
For further information contact:
     
Jay M. Tenenbaum, Consulting Professor, Computer Science
(415) 496-4699 or Tenenbaum@SRI-KL.

Purpose: To explore and stimulate the use of A.I. concepts and tools in
engineering.
     
This seminar will bring together engineers and computer scientists
interested in applying A.I. methods to engineering problems.  We will
study the knowledge and reasoning processes used in designing and
manufacturing electronic and mechanical systems, and how they can be
codified for use in intelligent CAD/CAM systems.
     
Seminar Format:
     
An initial series of lectures, by distinguished A.I.  researchers,
will describe ways in which engineering knowledge can be formalized,
and manipulated by a computer to solve design and manufacturing
problems.  Subsequent lectures, by guest lecturers and students, will
present case studies drawn from the domains of electronic and
mechanical design, semiconductor fabrication, and process planning.
Seminal papers will be distributed and discussed in conjunction
with each lecture.
     
One unit of credit (pass/fail) will be granted for reading papers and
participating in class discussion. Students who elect to do a
programming project or an in-depth ontological study of some
engineering task will receive three units (graded).

                Tentative Schedule (Subject to Change)
     
April   2  Course Introduction (Jay M. Tenenbaum)
           Rule-based systems; Application to Heuristic Classification
           (William Clancey)
     
        9  Frames and Objects; Application to Modeling and Simulation
           (Richard Fikes)
     
        16 Logic; Application to Design Debugging, Diagnosis, And Test
           (Michael Genesereth)
     
        23 Prolog: Application to Design Verification (Harry Barrow)
     
        30 Truth Maintainance; Application to Diagnosing Multiple Faults.
           (Johann DeKleer)
     
May      7 Knowledge Engineering as Ontological Analysis (Pat Hayes)
     
        14 Transformational Approaches to Synthesis; Applications to
           Electronic and Mechanical Design (Cordell Green).
     
        21 Modeling and Reasoning about Electronic Design:
           Paladio (Harold Brown); Helios (Narinder Singh)
     
        28 Modeling and Reasoning about Semiconductor Fabrication
           (John Mohammed, M. Klein)
     
June     4 Applications of AI in Mechanical Design and Manufacture
           The PRIDE Design System (Sanjay Mittal);
           Video Tape on Expert Systems for Manufacturing (Mark Fox).

(Exam Week) Presentation of Student Projects
     
------------------------------
     
Date: 16 Mar 86 02:29:34 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Umeshwar Dayal)
Subject: Conference - Object Oriented Database Systems
     
                           CALL FOR PAPERS
     
 International Workshop on Object-Oriented Database Systems (OODBS)
     
 September 23-26, 1986
               Asilomar Conference Center, Pacific Grove, California

 Sponsored by:              Association for  Computing  Machinery  -
                            SIGMOD
                            IEEE Computer Society - TC  on  Database
                            Engineering
     
 In cooperation with:       Gesellschaft fur Informatik, Germany
                            FZI at University of Karlsruhe, Germany
                            IIMAS, Mexico
     
 Purpose:
     
 To bring together researchers actively interested in specific  con-
 cepts  for  database  systems  that  can directly handle objects of
 arbitrary structure and complexity.  Application  environments  for
 which  such  characteristics  are  required  include  CAD, software
 engineering, office automation, cartography and knowledge represen-
 tation.  Important issues include data/information models, transac-
 tion mechanisms, integrity/consistency control, exception handling,
 distribution,  protection, object-oriented languages, architectural
 issues, storage structures, buffer management, and efficient imple-
 mentation.
     
 Format:   Limited attendance workshop.  Participation is by invita-
         tion only.
     
 Everybody wishing to participate must submit a full paper that will
 be  reviewed by the program committee.  Description of work in pro-
 gress is encouraged and modifications to the submitted paper can be
 made  immediately  after  the  workshop and prior to publication in
 order to reflect the progress made during the time between  submis-
 sion and publication and the insights gained from the workshop.
     
 Participants will be invited by the program  committee  based  upon
 the  relevance  of  their  interests/contributions.   There will be
 ample discussion time with  presentations  and  special  discussion
 sessions.  Proposals for discussion topics are invited.
     
 Program committee:
     
 K. Dittrich (FZI Germany)-chairman U. Dayal (CCA) - co-chairman
 D. Batory (Univ. of Texas)         M. Haynie (Amdahl)
 A. Buchmann (Univ. of Mexico)      D. McLeod (USC)
     
 Conference Treasurer:   D. McLeod
     
 Local arrangments:   M. Haynie
     
 Publication:
     
 All participants will be sent copies of the accepted  papers  prior
 to the meeting.  A book containing revised papers and recorded dis-
 cussions (as far as justified by quality) may  be  published  after
 the workshop.
     
 Important dates:
     
 Submission of manuscripts:              April 25, 1986
 Notification of acceptance:             June 15, 1986
 (early notification via electronic mail)June 3, 1986
 Submission of papers for preconference distribution:July 10, 1986
     
 Mode of submission:         Please mail 7 copies of manuscript to:
     
      Umeshwar Dayal        or      Klaus Dittrich
      CCA                           FZI
      Four Cambridge Center         Haid-und-Neu-Strasse 10-14
      Cambridge, MA 02142           D-7500 Karlsruhe 1
      USA                           Germany
     
      [email-masked]           [email-masked]
      Phone: +1 617/492-8860        Phone: +49 0721/69 06-0
     
 Remember to include your electronic mail address for early  notifi-
 cation.
     
------------------------------
     
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 86 4:28:51 EST
From: "Dr. James Johannes" (UAH+ARO) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - US ARMY (ARO) AI WORKSHOP

                    CALL  FOR  PARTICIPATION
     
Future Directions in                             June 17-19, 1986
Artificial Intelligence                          Hyatt Regency
                                                 Crystal City, VA
Workshop
     
Keynote Speaker:                               Sponsored by:
  Honorable Jay R. Sculley               Computer Science Program
  Assistant Secretary of Army                Army Research Office
  Research, Development & Acquisition        Research Triangle Pk
                                             NC 27709-2211

You are invited to participate  in the  Workshop entitled "Future
Directions in Artificial Intelligence" to be held from June 17 to
June  19,  1986  at  the Hyatt  Regency - Crystal City, Virginia.
Presentations  will  focus on  both theoretical  work and experi-
mental results.  Possible topics to be discussed include:
     
        o Military Expert Systems
        o Vision
        o Image Processing
        o Speech Technology
        o Machine Translation
     
The  workshop   will  involve  invited  overview  papers,   short
presentations on specific  subjects or projects,  and  discussion
periods.   Attendance  will  be limited to 100  participants with
about   equal  representation  among  military,   academia,   and
industry.   Each  participant will be a recognized  expert in  at
least one aspect of Artificial Intelligence.
     
Four copies of a 400-2000 word summary should be submitted by the
deadline  to  the  Workshop  Chairman.    Some  attendees will be
invited to make a presentation on one of the workshop  topics.  A
workshop proceedings will be published and will be  mailed to all
the attendees.

                  Attendance limited to: 100
   Presentation/participation Request due by: April 25, 1986
    Notification of participation acceptance by: May 9, 1986
           Camera-ready papers due by: June 5, 1986

Workshop Chairman:                            ARO Representative:
     
Prof. James D. Johannes                       Dr. C. Ronald Green
Computer Science                             Army Research Office
The University of Alabama in Huntsville            P.O. Box 12211
Huntsville, AL  35899                       Research Triangle Pk.
Tel: (205) 895-6255/6088                           NC, 27709-2211
uucp: akgua!uahcs1!johannes                   Tel: (919) 549-0641
arpanet: johannes@brl                          arpanet: green@brl

Application for presentation/participation:
(Due by April 25, 1986)
     
Name: Dr/Mr/Ms/Miss/Mrs ________________________________________
Address: _______________________________________________________
         _______________________________________________________
Telephone number: (_____)_______ - __________
E-Mail(arpanet/uucp)_________________________
Name of the Government Agency, University, or Company:

               PROPOSED PRESENTATION INFORMATION
               (include 400-2000 word summary)
     
Topic area:
( ) Military Expert Systems   ( ) Vision   ( )  Image Processing
( ) Speech  ( ) Machine Translation  ( ) Other - Specify _______
     
Overall presentation category:
(  ) Theoretical        (  ) Experimental         (  ) Tutorial
(  ) Applied Research   (  ) Others
     
Military Application Area:
     
Title of proposed presentation:

                PROPOSED ATTENDEE INFORMATION
Topic area:
( ) Military Expert Systems   ( ) Vision    ( ) Image Processing
( ) Speech  ( ) Machine Translation  ( ) Other - Specify _______
     
Past Accomplishments in the Artificial Intelligence areas:
     
------------------------------
     
End of AIList Digest
********************