Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 86 04:10:08 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a020141; 23 Feb 86 19:23 EST
Date: Sun 23 Feb 1986 11:28-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #34
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Mon, 24 Feb 86 03:49 EST

AIList Digest            Sunday, 23 Feb 1986       Volume 4 : Issue 34

Today's Topics:
  Seminar - Inferring Domain Plans in Question Answering (SRI),
  Course - Connectionist Summer Workshop Reminder (CMU),
  Conference - Expert Database Systems Advance Program

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu 20 Feb 86 18:04:16-PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Inferring Domain Plans in Question Answering (SRI)

             INFERRING DOMAIN PLANS IN QUESTION-ANSWERING

                 Martha E. Pollack  (POLLACK@SRI-AI)
                    AI Center, SRI International

                    11:00 AM, MONDAY, February 24
       SRI International, Building E, Room EJ228 (new conference room)

The importance of plan inference (PI) in models of conversation has been
widely noted in the computational-linguistics literature, and its
incorporation into question-answering systems has enabled a range of
cooperative behaviors.  The PI process in each of these systems, however, has
assumed that the questioner (Q) whose plan is being inferred and the
respondent (R) who is drawing the inference have identical beliefs about the
actions in the domain.  In this talk I will argue that this assumption is too
strong, and often results in failure not only of the PI process, but also of
the communicative process that PI is meant to support.  In particular, it
precludes the principled generation of appropriate responses to queries that
arise from invalid plans.  I will present a model of PI in conversation that
distinguishes between the beliefs of the questioner and the beliefs of the
respondent.  This will rest on an account of plans as mental phenomena:
"having a plan" will be analyzed as having a particular configuration of
beliefs and intentions.  Judgements that a plan is invalid will be associated
with particular discrepancies between the beliefs that R ascribes to Q, when
R believes Q has some particular plan, and the beliefs R herself holds.
An account of different types of plan invalidities will be given, and shown
to provide an explanation for certain regularities that are observable in
cooperative responses to questions.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 86 20:04 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Course - Connectionist Summer Workshop Reminder (CMU)

            Connectionist Summer Workshop Reminder

This is a reminder that the deadline for applying to attend the connectionist
summer workshop to be held June 20-29 at Carnegie Mellon is March 1st.
Applications are welcomed from graduate students and recent Ph.D.'s and
M.D.'s who are actively involved in connectionist research.

 ---> This is not just a summer school for training new
      connectionists, as a previous announcement may have
      implied.  We plan to organize small working groups and hold
      lively discussions with visiting speakers.  New research
      will be presented and people are encouraged to bring their
      software for demos; we'll supply the machines.

To apply, send a copy of your vita and one relevant paper, technical
report, or research proposal to:  Dr. David Touretzky, Computer Science
Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Feb 86 13:15:00 GMT
From: [email-masked]
      (Larry Kerschberg)
Subject: Conference - Expert Database Systems -- Advance Program

Conference Advance Program and Registration Forms
First International Conference on Expert Database Systems
Sheraton Charleston Hotel
April 1-4, 1986
Sponsored by:
Institute of Information Management, Technology and Policy
College of Business Administration
University of South Carolina
In Cooperation With:
American Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
Association for Computing Machinery -- SIGMOD, SIGART, and SIGPLAN
IEEE Computer Society -- Technical Committee on Data Base Engineering
Agence de l'Informatique, France
Tuesday, April 1, 1986
Tutorial Day
8:30 am - 12:00 pm      Morning Parallel Tutorials I
IA:     Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
Instructor:  Dr. Elaine Rich, MCC, Austin, Texas
Dr. Rich  is currently leading a natural language research team at
MCC. She is the author of the widely-read book, Artificial
Intelligence,  as well as numerous technical papers.
Course Description:  This tutorial will provide an introduction to the
important concepts and techniques of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
The major topics are:  What is an AI technique?;  Problem solving as
heuristic search; Heuristic search techniques such as hill climbing,
best first search, problem decomposition, constraint satisfaction;
Knowledge representation and inference including logic-based methods,
default reasoning, slot and filler methods and production rules.
IB:     Database Management
Instructor:  Professor Michael Stonebraker, UC  - Berkeley, California
Dr. Stonebraker is a full professor of Computer Science at the
University of California, Berkeley.  He is the original implementor of
the INGRES system and is a co-founder of Relational Technology, Inc.
which markets INGRES to engineering and business users.
Course Description:  This tutorial will provide an overview of
Database Management.  The major topics are:  Traditional data models
and query languages including network, hierarchical, and relational
models; Database services such as transaction management, query
optimization, protection, views, integrity control; New approaches to
data models including semantic data models, logic programming, CAD/CAM
data models; Themes of Expert Database Systems such as extended views,
active databases, procedural objects, inheritance, and new data types.
1:30 pm - 5:00 pm               Afternoon Parallel Tutorials II
IIA:    Expert Systems -- An Introduction
Instructor:  Professor Charles Rich, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Dr. Rich is Principal Research Scientist at the Artificial
Intelligence Laboratory of Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  He
is co-principal investigator of the Programmer's Apprentice Project at
MIT.
Course Description:  This is an introductory tutorial for those who
intend to develop or manage the development of new expert systems, as
well as those who want to evaluate the potential for using expert
systems in their own work.  No previous background is assumed.  The
topics include:  Expert systems features including expert-level
performance, symbolic and heuristic information, and the separation of
Knowledge from Inference; Application areas for expert systems;
Programming techniques used for expert system development including
rules, frames, logic programming; and the use of incremental
prototypes for expert systems development.
IIB:    Logic Programming and Databases
Instructor:  Dr. Steve Hardy, Teknowledge, Inc., Palo Alto, California
Dr. Hardy is currently Product Manager at Teknowledge.  He was the
Principal Designer of the M.1 Expert System Shell.
Course Description:  This tutorial will provide an overview of the
important concepts relating to logic programming and databases.  The
major topics are:  Logic and databases; Prolog:  A logic language;
Prolog:  Its practical difficulties; High-level logic languages
including shells for Prolog; Current applications; What the future
holds.
Wednesday, April 2, 1986
8:00-12:00 am           Registration
8:45-9:00 am            Opening Remarks
    Chairman:  Donald A. Marchand, University of South Carolina, USA
9:00-10:00 am           Keynote Address
    Chairman:  Larry Kerschberg, University of South Carolina, USA
To be announced
        Ronald J. Brachman and Hector J. Levesque*, AT&T Bell Labs, USA
        and University of Toronto*, Canada
10:00-10:30 am  Coffee Break
10:30-12:00 am  Session 1:  Object-Oriented Systems
    Chairman:  Reid Smith, Schlumberger-Doll Research, USA
Object Prototypes and Database Samples for Expert Database Systems
        G.T. Nguyen, IMAG, Universite de Grenoble, France
Displaying Database Objects
        D. Maier, P. Nordquist* and M. Grossman, Oregon Graduate
        Center and Intel  Corp.*, USA
A Personal Universal Filing System Based on the Concept-Relation Model
        H. Fujisawa, A. Hatakeyama and J. Higashino, Hitachi, Ltd., Japan
12:00-1:30 pm   Lunch
1:30-3:00 pm            Afternoon Parallel Sessions
Session 2A:     Theory of Knowledge Bases
    Chairman:  Setsuo Ohsuga, University of Tokyo, Japan
Control of Processes by Communication over Ports as a Paradigm for
Distributed Knowledge-Based System Design
        A.S. Cromarty, Advanced  Information and Decision Systems, USA
Representing and Manipulating Knowledge Within "Worlds"
        H. Kaufmann and A. Grumbach*, C.G.E..-- Laboratoires de
        Marcoussis and Ecole Superieure d'Electricite*, France
Completeness and Consistency in Knowledge Base Systems
        W. Marek, University of Kentucky, USA
Session 2B:     Intelligent Database Interfaces
    Chairman:  Bonnie L. Webber, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Supporting Goal Queries in Relational Databases
        A. Motro, University of Southern California, USA
Design and Experimentation of IR-NLI:  An Intelligent User Interface
to Bibliographic Databases
        G. Brajnik, G. Guida and C. Tasso, Universita di Udine, Italy
When does Non-Linear Text Help?
        D. Shasha, New York University, USA
3:00-3:30 pm            Coffee Break
3:30-5:00 pm    Panel Session:  Are Data Models Dead?
    Chairman:  Michael L. Brodie, Computer Corporation of America, USA
6:30-9:30 pm            Great Gatsby Night
Thursday, April 3, 1986
8:30-10:00 am   Session 4:  Knowledge System Architectures
    Chairman:  Michele Missikoff, IASI-CNR,  Italy
The Do-Loop Considered Harmful in Production System Programming
        M. van Biema, D.P. Miranker and S.J. Stolfo, Columbia
        University, USA
A Relational Representation for Knowledge Bases
        R.M. Abarbanel and M.D. Williams, IntelliCorp, USA
Interfacing Relational Databases and Prolog Efficiently
        S. Ceri, G. Gottlob and G. Wiederhold, Stanford University, USA
10:00-10:30 am  Coffee Break
10:30-12:00 am  Morning Parallel Sessions
Session 5A:     Deductive Databases
    Chairman:  D. Stott Parker, Jr., UCLA and Silogic, USA
Negative Queries in Horn Databases
        Shamin Naqvi, AT&T Bell Laboratories, USA
Safety and Compilation of Non-Recursive Horn Clauses
        Carlo Zaniolo, MCC, USA
Recursive Axioms in Deductive Databases:  The Query/Subquery Approach
        L. Vieille, European Computer-Industry Research Center (ECRC),
        West Germany
Session5B:      Reasoning in Expert Database Systems
    Chairman:  James Bezdek, University of South Carolina, USA
Evaluation of Recursive Queries Using Join Indices
        P. Valduriez and H. Boral, MCC, USA
An Algebraic Approach to Recursive Inference
        Y.E. Ioannidis and E. Wong, University of California - Berkeley, USA
A Fuzzy Relational Calculus
        A. Zvieli, Louisiana State University, USA
12:00-1:30 pm   Lunch
1:30-3:30 pm            Afternoon Parallel Sessions
Session 6A:     Semantic Query Optimization
Chairman:  Matthias Jarke, New York University, USA
A Knowledge-Based Approach to Query Optimization
        C.V. Malley and S.B. Zdonik, Brown University, USA
Semantic Query Optimization:  Additional Constraints and Control
Strategies
        U.S. Chakravarthy, J. Minker and J. Grant*, University of
        Maryland and Towson State University*, USA
Integrity Enforcement on Prolog-based Deductive Databases
        H. Decker, ECRC, West Germany
Session 6B:     Knowledge-Based Modeling and Design
    Chairman:  Edgar H. Sibley, George Mason University, USA
Modeling Linguistic User Interfaces
        M. Pilote, Toronto, Canada
How Abstraction Can Reduce Ambiguity in Explanation Problems
        S. Letovsky, Yale University, USA
A Framework for Design/Redesign Experts
        A.L. Furtado, M.A. Casanova* and L. Tucherman*, Pontificia
        Universidade Catolica do Rio de Janeiro and IBM do Brasil*, Brazil
Flexible Interfaces and the Support of Physical Database Design Reasoning
        M. Prietula and G. Dickson*,Dartmouth College and University
        of Minnesota*, USA
3:30-4:00 pm            Coffee Break
4:00-5:30 pm 7. Panel Session:  Inference in Expert Database Systems
    Chairman:  Herve Gallaire, ECRC, West Germany
6:00-9:00 pm            Red, White and Bluegrass Night
Friday, April 4, 1986
8:00-10:00 am   Session 8:  Knowledge Management
    Chairman: Alain Pirotte, Philips Research Lab, Belgium
An Analysis of Rule Indexing Implementations in Data Base Systems
        M. Stonebraker, T. Sellis and E. Hanson, UC-Berkeley, USA
Querying a Rule Base
        L. Cholvy and R. Demolombe, Centre d'Etudes et de Recherches
        de Toulouse, France
Updating Propositional Formulas
        A. Weber, Universitat Karlsruhe, West Germany
Invited Lecture:  Beyond the Knowledge Level
        Mark. S. Fox, Carnegie-Mellon University, USA
10:00-10:30 am  Coffee Break
10:30-12:00 am  9.  Panel Session:  Open Issues in Expert Database Systems
    Chairman:  Robert Balzer, USC- Information Sciences Institute, USA
12:00-12:15 pm  Closing Ceremony
    Chairman:  Donald A. Marchand, University of South Carolina, USA

All Payments must be made in US Currency.  Make checks payable to the
Institute of Information Managment, Technology and Policy and mail the
form to
        Ms. Libby Shropshier, Conference Treasurer
        Institute of IMTP
        College of Business Administration
        University of South Carolina
        Columbia, SC, 29208
        Telephone:  (803) 777-5766

  [The original included conference and hotel registration forms. -- KIL]

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************