Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 86 05:26:47 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a019609; 14 Feb 86 1:11 EST
Date: Thu 13 Feb 1986 21:48-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V4 #26
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 14 Feb 86 05:12 EST

AIList Digest            Friday, 14 Feb 1986       Volume 4 : Issue 26

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Automatic Testing of Parsers & Baseball Expert Systems,
  Literature - AI in Engineering & Business Week on Expert Systems,
  AI Tools - LISP Compilers,
  Education - ICAI for the Physically/Mentally Impaired,
  Games - Artificial Animals & Software Robots

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 13 Feb 86 10:52:00 EST
From: "CUGINI, JOHN" <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: "CUGINI, JOHN" <[email-masked]>
Subject: automatic testing of parsers

Do any systems exist which can accept a body of BNF (or some other
syntactic production rules), and then generate or enumerate test
cases to be run against an alleged parser of that BNF?

Thanks in advance for any help...

John Cugini <Cugini@NBS-VMS>
National Bureau of Standards

------------------------------

Date: 8 Feb 86 00:31:08 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Carey E. Priebe)
Subject: baseball expert systems

****************************************************************
i need pointers to or information about expert systems that have
been developed for the baseball domain.  i would be interested
in research or incomplete programs as well as mature systems.  i
believe there was some related work ongoing at yale recently, per-
haps focusing on natural language, but my information is sketchy.
reply directly to me or through the net.
thanx in advance.
                                cp
*****************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: WED, 10 JAN 84 17:02:23 CDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: AI in Engineering

As a news editor for "Artificial Intelligence in Engineering", I
request that people send me information on new applications of
artificial intelligence to engineering problems, whether they be
products, research efforts, industrial applications or related items
such as conferences or new bindings.

Please send the information to me at:
  Laurence L. Leff
  Computer Science and Engineering
  Southern Methodist University
  Dallas, Texas 75275

bitnet: E1AR0002 at SMUVM1
Arpanet, CSNET leff%smu@csnet-relay
UUCPnet ihnp4!convex!smu!leff

------------------------------

Date: Thu 13 Feb 86 10:58:34-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: Business Week on Expert Systems

Check the February 10 issue of Business Week, pp. 94, 98-99, for a
discussion of the funding and prospects of Intellicorp, Teknowledge,
Inference Corp., and the Carnegie Group.  They are described as the
Gang of Four in AI.

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 86 09:00:25 est
From: [email-masked]
      (GERARD MAYER)
Subject: Re: LISP Compilers?

Get in touch with Franz Inc., 2920 Domingo Ave, Suite 203, Berkeley, CA 94705
(415) 540-1224 for common lisp product running on unix.

                                                Gerard Mayer
                                                Raytheon Research Division

                                                uucp   ..linus!raybed2!gxm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 86 17:59:06 mst
From: [email-masked] (Bill Armstrong)
Subject: Re: ICAI for Physically/mentally Impaired

There is a softcover book: Microcomputer Resource Book for Special
Education by Dolores Hagen published by Reston in 1984.  It deals
with questions of the learning impaired, deaf, blind, and physically
handicapped, but points out that a lot of software is useful
to the handicapped even if it isn't so labelled.
The ISBN numbers are 0-8359-4345-3 and 0-8359-4344-5 (paperback)
Call number LC4019.H33 1984.

I don't know whether it satisfies the ICAI criterion or is just
CAI.  The person to talk to about ICAI would be
Greg Kearsley, Courseware, Inc.,
10075 Carroll Canyon Road, San Diego, California 92131.

I hope this helps you.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 23 Jan 86 10:44:55-PST
From: Mark Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Artificial Animals

               [Excerpted from the AI-Ed distribution.]

Computer Currents, 22-oct-85  [a computer newspaper]
        Strehlo: What's the nature of the research?

        Kay: It's yet another attempt to try and understand the thin
edge of the long wedge. At PARC, the children used Smalltalk on the
interim Dynabook to build their own application programs, their own
editors and animation and stuff like that.  In this case, we're sort
of upping the ante to try and do a system in which the children can
create little mentalities, animal level mentalities that can be put
into a simulated environment where they have to survive. If you will,
it's like creating a little Disney character that you then put out
into a big world."

Strehlo: We see this kind of thing on a simple level in adventure
games where the player has to give characters the traits needed to
achieve some goal.

Kay: Right, exactly.

Strehlo: And this just goes further? How would it go further?

Kay: "It goes a lot further.  We're shooting for something that will
be dynamically animated and will actually learn things.  The idea is
to get kids to be more thoughtful about thinking by getting them to
try to think about how animals think, and by taking the results of
these comtemplations and actually building animal-like creatures that
work. It's exciting. There's very little in existing AI or computer
graphics that really serves this project, which is nice. We get to
invent it."  [AI-ED editor:  If you are familiar with Doug Lenat's
work, you might not be surprised to learn that Doug and Alan are
friends.  When Alan was at Atari, Doug consulted on the KNOESPHERE
project along with ALan Borning, David McDonald, Craig Taylor &
Stephen Weyer ... in alphabetical order.  See IJCAI proceedings #8,
p.167-169 if you are interested .. it's a bit vague and far out though]

Strehlo: Who do you have working with you on this project?

Kay: I've got Marvin Minsky helping on the AI stuff, I've got Seymour
Papert helping on some of the curriculum design, I've got the visual
language lab at MIT helping on the graphics for the animals and stuff.
All different kinds of disciplines, different kinds of students, are
working on it. If we can anchor the place over the next couple of
years, and there's every reason to believe it's going to happen,
Project Vivarium is going to be the most exciting place in the world
to work.

[...]

------------------------------

Date: 5 Feb 86 13:32:05 GMT
From: [email-masked]  (Ross
      Greenberg)
Subject: A contest in 'C'...

There is a game making the rounds on some of the MS-DOS BBS's called
CROBOTS.  An interesting game that can allow those that respond to
determine just how good their 'C' programming is.
In this game, you program your "robot" to seek out and destroy other
robots that have been programmed by someone else.  Each robot has the
capability of movement, sensor detection of other robots, and the
ability to fire a cannon at a given direction and range.
Typical robots might use programs that allow the robot to scan the
playfield, locate any one of four opponents, fire a cannon at that
opponent, and start zig-zagging towards that opponent while firing
a cannon.
If you are interested in determining how *your* robot stands up
to other robots, then here are the contest rules:
1)      Get a copy of the program from a local MS-DOS machine.
        There may be a UNIX version out, but I'm not aware of
        it
2)      Create a robot that will (2 out of 3 times), destroy
        the preconfigured robots that come in the .ARC package.
3)      Document your robot's code and send it off to me at the
        below address.  Entries accepted until March 1, 1986.
4)      You may enter no more than two robots.
The way I'll run the contest should work, although comments are
welcomed:
For every four robots that come in, I'll send them off to battle.
I'll run the simulation twice for each four, or until a have a
clear consensus of which two out of the robots make it to the next
round.
This process will be repeated until there are finally only four
top robots.  They'll slug it out until I can determine which are
the top two.  From that, of course, I can determine which is the
robot that deserves the applause.
The top four robots will be posted to the net.  Each losing robot
will be returned to its designer, along with the code for the
robots which destroyed it.
Consider this first contest the beginning round.  The next round
will be in about three months.

And I forgot to tell you where some of these boards are....
Two that I know of are:
NYACC (New York Amateur Computer Club) at 1-718-539-3338
and my board at 1-212-889-6438, login with 'demo' and 'demo'.
Happy Robot Designing....

Good Luck!
Ross

ross m. greenberg
ihnp4!allegra!phri!sysdes!greenber
[phri rarely makes a guest-account user a spokesperson. Especially not me.]

------------------------------

Date: 8 Feb 86 15:54:14 GMT
From: [email-masked]
      (Bruce Dautrich)
Subject: Re: A contest in 'C'...

        This games sounds like a game called bolo which to my knowledge
was first written by Peter Langston who also wrote empire.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************