Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 85 01:50:20 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by CSNET-RELAY.ARPA id a025923; 15 Dec 85 14:51 EST
Date: Sun 15 Dec 1985 11:38-PST
Reply-to: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #186
To: AIList%sri-ai.arpa@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Wed, 18 Dec 85 15:38 EST

AIList Digest            Sunday, 15 Dec 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 186

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - Learning Objects from Images (MIT) &
    SDI Debate (SU) &
    Deduction as a Programming Methodology (UTexas) &
    Typed Equational Logic Programming (UTexas),
  Conference - Expert Systems in Government &
    Object-Oriented Programming System, Languages, and Applications

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 85 20:06 EST
From: Brian C. Williams <WILLIAMS at OZ.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Seminar - Learning Objects from Images (MIT)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

Thursday , December 12  4:00pm  Room: NE43- 8th floor Playroom

                    The Artificial Intelligence Lab
                        Revolving Seminar Series

             "Learning Symbolic Object Models From Images"

                            Jonathan Connell

                              MIT, AI Lab

This talk will present the results of an implemented system for
learning structural prototypes of objects directly from gray-scale
images.  The vision component of this system employs Brady's Smoothed
Local Symmetries to divide an object into parts which are then
described symbolically.  The learning component takes these
descriptions and forms a model of the examples presented in a manner
similar to Winston's ANALOGY program.  The problem of matching complex
structured descriptions and the difficult task of reasoning about
function from form will also be briefly discussed.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 13 Dec 85 17:56:01-PST
From: Joan Feigenbaum <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - SDI Debate (SU)

                ``SDI: How Feasible, How Useful, How Robust?''

This will be a technical debate, covering both hardware and software aspects
of SDI.

Sponsor: Stanford Computer Science Department
Date: December 19, 1985
Time: 8:00 p.m.
Place: Terman Auditorium
Organizer: Barbara Simons, IBM-SJ

Moderator:  Dr. Marvin L. Goldberger, President of Cal Tech.
Former member of President's Science Advisory Committee
and Consultant on Arms Control and International Security.

Panelists:

Advocates:
Professor Richard Lipton, Professor of Computer Science at Princeton
University, Current member of SDIO's Panel on Computing and Support of Battle
Management.

Major Simon Peter Warden, the Special Assistant to the Director of the SDIO
and Technical Advisor to the Nuclear and Space Arms Talk with the USSR
in Geneva.

Opponents:
Dr. Richard L. Garwin, IBM Fellow and Adjunct Professor of Physics at
Columbia University, Physicist and Defense Consultant.

Professor David Parnas, Lansdown Professor of Computer Science at the
University of Victoria, Former member of the SDI Organization's
Panel on Computing and Support of Battle Management.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 13 Dec 85 11:56:26-CST
From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Deduction as a Programming Methodology (UTexas)

                             Gerard Huet
                     INRIA (on Sabbatical at CMU)

                            MCC-AI Lecture
                   Thursday, December 19 at 10:00am
                         Echelon I, Room 409

            "Intuitionistic Higher-Order Natural Deduction
                     as a Programming Methodology"

The talk will  review various  aspects of  the correspondence  between
types and  propositions  and  its applications  to  type-checking  and
program proving.

A  higher-order  intuitionistic   natural  deduction  formalism,   the
Calculus of Constructions, is introduced and motivated by examples.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 13 Dec 85 11:55:40-CST
From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Typed Equational Logic Programming (UTexas)

          Typed Equational Logic as a Programming Language
                          Gert Smolka
                       Cornell University

                            MCC-AI Lecture
                   WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 18 at 3:00pm
                         Echelon I, Room 409

I will present a logic programming notation called TEL, which is based
on typed equational logic.  TEL  avoids many of Prolog's  difficulties
since it has equality  and functions, an  expressive type system,  and
more satisfying control  features.  Furthermore, employing  equational
rather than relational  logic supports term  rewriting in addition  to
logic programming a la Prolog.  TEL's major innovations come with  its
type system:

   * Both type containment (subtypes as in OBJ2) and parametric
     polymorphism (as in ML) are available.  This requires type
     checking algorithms that solve inequalities.

   * Although, in general, types are computationally significant,
     every program can be automatically translated into an
     equivalent TEL program in which all type information is
     redundant.  Thus TEL can be implemented with untyped narrowing.

   * Type declarations in TEL contain control information that enables
     a compiler to decide whether a function can be implemented by
     rewriting instead of full narrowing.  This is a crucial
     optimization since rewriting requires neither backtracking nor
     unification.

   * The control information in TEL's type declarations also
     facilitates the exploitation of and-parallism.  A straight-
     forward compile-time analysis can determine most subterms that
     will not share variables at run-time.

------------------------------

Date: 13 Dec 85 10:30:25 EST (Fri)
From: Duke Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - Expert Systems in Government

                           CALL FOR PAPERS
                     THE SECOND ANNUAL CONFERENCE
                                  ON
                     EXPERT SYSTEMS IN GOVERNMENT

   Tyson's Westpark Hotel, McLean, VA in suburban Washington, D.C.
                        October 20 - 24, 1986

     The conference is sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society and
         the Mitre Corporation in cooperation with AIAA/NCS.

The objective of the conference is to explore the following:
        - knowledge based applications and supporting technologies
        - implementation and impact of emerging application areas
        - future trends in available systems and required research

Classified and unclassified papers which relate to the use of
knowledge based systems are solicited.  The topics of interest
include, but are not limited to, the following applications:

Professional: engineering, finance, law, management, medicine

Office Automation: text understanding, intelligent DBMS, intelligent
systems

Command & Control: intelligence analysis, planning, targeting,
communications, air traffic control, battle management

Exploration: outer space, prospecting, archaeology

Weapon Systems: adaptive control, electronic warfare, Star Wars,
target identification

Equipment: CAD/CAM, design monitoring, maintenance, repair

Software: automatic programming, maintenance, verification and
validation

Architecture: distributed knowledge based systems, parallel computing

Project Management: planning, scheduling, control

Education: concept formation, tutoring, testing, diagnosis

Imagery: photo interpretation, mapping

Systems Engineering: requirements, preliminary design, critical
design, testing, quality assurance

Tools and Techniques: PROLOG, knowledge acquisition and
representation, uncertainty management

Plant and Factory Automation

Space Station Systems

Human-Machine Interface

Speech and Natural Language

The program will consist of submitted and invited papers, which will
provide an overview of selected areas.  Contributed papers should be
consistent with the following outline:
1. Introduction- state clearly the purpose of the work
2. Description of the actual work- must be new and significant
3. Results- discuss their significance
4. References

Completed papers are to be no longer than 20 pages, including
graphics.  Four copies of the complete paper are to be submitted to:

Dr. Kamal Karna, Conference Chairman
IEEE Computer Society
1730 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, D.C.  20036-1903

Author's Schedule:
Four copies of manuscript       May 1, 1986
Acceptance letter               June 15, 1986
Camera-ready copy               July 15, 1986

Conference Chairman:
        Dr. Kamal Karna
        Washington AI Center
        Mitre Corporation
        karna@mitre

Program Committee:
        Co-chairman: Classified and Unclassified:
        Dr. Richard Martin
        Associate Director, Software Engineering Institute
        Carnegie Mellon University
        AIMARTN@MCC

        Co-chairman: Unclassified
        Dr. Kamran Parsaye
        President
        Intelliware, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 85 15:48:07 PST
From: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Call for Papers, OOPSLA86

                    Call For Papers and Participation

                            ACM Conference on
     Object Oriented Programming Systems, Languages, and Applications

            September 29 - October 2, 1986,  Portland, Oregon

OOPSLA-86 is a new ACM-sponsored conference that brings together users and
implementors of object oriented systems.  Through tutorials, papers, panel
discussions and workshops, as well as demonstrations, exhibits and videotapes,
OOPSLA-86 will provide a forum for sharing experience and knowledge among
experts and novices alike.

We invite technical papers, case studies, and surveys in the following areas:

Theory:                 Including core definition of object oriented
                        programming, semantic models and methodology.

Languages:              Existing object oriented languages, extensions to
                        conventional languages, and new languages.

Implementation:         Including architectural support, compilation and
                        interpretation, and special techniques.

Tools and Environments: Including user interfaces, utilities and operating
                        system support.

Applications:           Commercial, educational, and scientific applications
                        that exploit object oriented programming.

Related Work:           The object oriented paradigm in other fields such as
                        databases and operating systems.

Papers on other relevant topics are welcome, as are proposals for workshops
and panel discussions.

All papers will be refereed prior to selection and inclusion in the conference
proceedings.  Technical papers will be selected on the basis of originality and
contribution to the state of the art of design, implementation, methodology, or
practice.  Survey papers will be selected on the basis of how well they
crystallize and integrate, in a way not previously presented, knowledge about
one or more aspects of the field.

Papers must be submitted in English, and should be no longer than 25
double-spaced pages.  The cover page should include a title, an abstract of not
more than 100 words, and author's name, affiliation, address and phone number.
Five copies must be received by the Program Chairman at the address below, no
later than April 1, 1986.  Authors will be notified of acceptance by May 1,
1986, and final versions of accepted papers will be due by June 15, 1986.  As
the proceedings of this conference will be widely disseminated, publication of
more than an abstract of a submitted paper is likely to inhibit republication
in ACM's refereed publications.

A room at the conference will be reserved for video presentations that
illustrate or supplement the concepts conveyed in other presentations.
Submissions must run no longer than 15 minutes, and should be on 3/4-inch
U-Matic format tape.  Tapes must be received by the Video Chairman at the
address below, no later than July 1, 1986.

Conference Chairmen     Daniel Bobrow (Xerox PARC) ([email-masked])
                        Alan Purdy (Servio Logic Development)
                          <[email-masked]>

Program Chairman        Daniel Ingalls, MS 22-Y
                          (ingalls%apple.csnet@CSNET-RELAY)
                        Apple Computer
                        20525 Mariani Ave.
                        Cupertino, CA 95014

Video Chairman          David Robson ([email-masked])
                        Xerox PARC
                        3333 Coyote Hill Road
                        Palo Alto, CA 94304

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************