Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 85 22:05:49 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a017028; 6 Sep 85 15:05 EDT
Date: Fri  6 Sep 1985 10:41-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #119
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Thu, 12 Sep 85 21:44 EST

AIList Digest             Friday, 6 Sep 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 119

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - Flavor-Based Knowledge Representation (CSLI) &
    Misconceptions about Basketball Statistics (UCB) &
    Haptic Object Recognition (UPenn) &
    Scalar Implicature (UPenn) &
    NL Menu Interfaces to Databases (SMU),
  Conference - Army AI and Robotics

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed 4 Sep 85 17:17:57-PDT
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Flavor-Based Knowledge Representation (CSLI)

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                 ``FORK: A Flavor-Based Environment for
               Object-oriented Knowledge Representation''
   C. Beckstein, G. Goerz, University Erlangen-Nuernberg, West Germany
            2:15, Thursday, September 5, Ventura Seminar Room

      Most object-oriented extensions of LISP provide only marginal
   support for the purpose of knowledge representation. In particular,
   there are only poor means---if any---for specifying meta-information
   about attributes of objects such as typed domains, methods for
   determining values (demons), multiple-valued attributes and explicit
   control of inheritance.  Furthermore, they usually don't offer
   adequate utilities for handling multiple perspectives, retrieving
   objects through patterns of characteristic features, and maintaining
   structural relations (integrity constraints) in and between objects.
   FORK is an attempt to extend Flavors, an object-oriented extension of
   LISP, by adding features which are well known from frame-like systems
   with the advantage of keeping a systematic distinction between classes
   and instances. The procedural knowledge is attached to classes either
   in the usual sense of methods as functions or in the form of (forward
   chaining) rule sets. In addition, FORK offers a programming
   environment to support users in the construction and maintenance of
   large, hybrid knowledge bases.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 85 13:43:19 PDT
From: chertok%ucbcogsci@Berkeley (Paula Chertok)
Subject: Seminar - Misconceptions about Basketball Statistics (UCB)

                          BERKELEY COGNITIVE SCIENCE PROGRAM
                                      Fall 1985
                        Cognitive Science Seminar -- IDS 237A

            TIME:                Tuesday, September 10, 11:00 - 12:30
            PLACE:               240 Bechtel Engineering Center
              (followed by)
            DISCUSSION:          12:30 - 1:30 in 200 Building T-4

            SPEAKER:          Amos  Tversky,  Department  of   Psychology,
                              Stanford University

            TITLE:            ``Misconception  of  Chance   Processes   in
                              Basketball''

            We investigate the origin and the validity of  common  beliefs
            regarding ``the hot hand'' and ``streak shooting'' in the game
            of basketball.  Basketball players  and  fans  alike  tend  to
            believe  that  a player's chance of hitting a shot are greater
            following a hit than following a miss on  the  previous  shot.
            However, detailed analyses of the shooting records of the Phi-
            ladelphia 76ers provided no evidence for a  positive  correla-
            tion  between the outcomes of successive shots.  The same con-
            clusions emerged from free-throw records of  the  Boston  Cel-
            tics,  and  from a controlled shooting experiment with the men
            and women of Cornell's varsity teams.  The outcomes of  previ-
            ous  shots  influenced  Cornell  players'  predictions but not
            their preformance.   The  belief  in  the  hot  hand  and  the
            ``detection''  of streaks in random sequences is attributed to
            a general misconception of  chance  according  to  which  even
            short random sequences are thought to be highly representative
            of their generating process.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 85 20:56 EDT
From: Tim Finin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Haptic Object Recognition (UPenn)

HAPTIC OBJECT RECOGNITION:  WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM HUMANS FOR MACHINE
PERCEPTION AND MANIPULATION.

Susan Lederman, Psychology Department, Queen's University in Kingston, Canada

2pm Friday, September 6, 216 Moore School, University of Pennsylvania

  We  shall  present  our  investigation  of  haptic  object  recognition which
concerns with what we call "knowledge based control of  Human  hand  movements.
The "knowledge based" hand movements are directed by the observer's goal.  This
implies an analysis of hand movements at the cognitive level rather than  at  a
biomechanical  or neutral level.  Some exploratory hand movement procedures are
being suggested.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 85 15:04 EDT
From: Tim Finin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Scalar Implicature (UPenn)

                             DISSERTATION DEFENSE

                        A Theory of Scalar Implicature

                               Julia Hirschberg

                             10:00am Sept 4 1985
                 216 Moore School, University of Pennsylvania

Determining what an utterance conveys, beyond its semantic import, is
an important goal of natural-language processing.  This thesis first
proposes a definition of one type of non-logical inference, Gricean
conversational implicature.  Within this framework, it defines a class
of conversational implicature, scalar implicature, revising and
extending work by Horn (1972), Harnish (1979), and Gazdar (1979).  A
theory of scalar implicature is proposed based upon an analysis of
naturally occurring data.  A representation of the phenomenon is
developed, as are algorithms for calculating licensed implicatures.  An
application to computer-human question-answering is discussed, as are
other potential uses in natural-language generation and understanding.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 1985 11:14-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - NL Menu Interfaces to Databases (SMU)

Speaker: Dr. Craig W. Thompson, Texas Instruments, Inc.
Topic: Menu-Based Natural Language Interfaces to Databases

Time: 3:00-4:00 p. m., Wednesday, September 11, 1985
Place: 315 SIC SMU, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas

Menu-based natural language as implemented in the NLMenu system,
provides useful near-term solutions to a number of problems that
affect conventional natural language interfaces to databases.
This talk overviews our research on menu-based natural language,
describing
1) the basic NLMenu approach
2) advantages of the approach including ease-of-use for end users
and low cost for interface designers
3) applications of the approach for database updates, request for
business graphs and map displays, and mixed
dbms and keyword based informaiton retrieval queries.
The talk ends with research directions related to this new approach.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 85 11:46:41 EDT
From: MAJ Kenneth Rose (Ft. Benj. Harrison) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - AI and Robotics

The U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command is sponsoring an
artificial intelligence and robotics symposium in conjunction
with the American Defense Preparedness Association on November
6th-7th in Austin, Texas.  The pupose is to afford members of
industry and the acedemic research community an opportunity to
respond to Army areas of technical interest as described in the
call for papers.  A more specific description of Army interests
is in preparation for distribution at the symposium.  The agenda
for the symposium follows.  For more information, contact Colonel
Bruce Holt at--

    American Defense Preparedness Association
    Rosslyn Center, Suite 900
    1700 North Moore Street
    Arlington, VA  22209
*****************************************************************

         ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND ROBOTICS SYMPOSIUM
                6-7 November 1985, Austin, Texas

                             AGENDA

Tuesday, 5 November

1800-    REGISTRATION, Wyndam Hotel, Austin, Texas.
2000

2030     PRE-SYMPOSIUM MEETING FOR SPEAKERS, Wyndam Hotel.  Room
         location to be announced.

Wednesday, 6 November

0700     REGISTRATION, Wyndam Hotel.

                         OPENING SESSION

0800     INTRODUCTORY REMARKS, Major Kenneth H. Rose, Chief of
         Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, US Army Soldier
         Support Center, Sessions Chairman.

0805     PURPOSE OF CONFERENCE, Major General Maurice O. Edmonds,
         Commander, US Army Soldier Support Center, Conference
         Chairman.

0815     KEYNOTE ADDRESS, Lieutenant General Robert L. Moore,
         Deputy Commanding General for Research, Development, and
         Acquisition, US Army Materiel Command.

0925     US ARMY ROBOTICS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTIONS, Mr. Richard
         Vitali, Deputy Chief of Staff for Technology Planning
         and Management, Headquarters, US Army Materiel Command.

                      SESSION I - ROBOTICS

0950     Mobile Robots for Surveillance, Reconnaissance, and
         Manipulative Missions: A Survey of Current Systems.
         Mr. Harvey B. Mieieran, H. B. Meieran Associates.

1015     Technology Development in Intelligent Machine Systems.
         Mr. Thomas G. Bartholot, Odetics, Inc.

1105     Loading, Assembling, and Packaging of Ammunition:
         Applying Flexible Automation in the Future to Solve the
         Problems of the Past.  Mr. Vernon L. Mangold, KOHOL, Inc.

1130     Control of a Multi-Robot Processing Line Using
         Artificial Intelligence.  Mr. James M. McNair, GA
         Technologies.

1300     ROMAC Muscle Powered Mobile Robots.  Mr. Guy Immega,
         MacDonald Dettwiler and Associates, Ltd., (Canada) and
         Mr. Harvey B. Meieran, HB Meieran Associates.

                SESSION II - AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES

1325     Abstractions to Represent the Plan of an Autonomous Land
         Vehicle.  Dr. Theodore A. Linden, Advanced Information &
         Decision Systems.

1350     A Planning System for Autonomous Land Vehicles: An
         Overview of the Hughes System.  Dr. David Y. Tseng,
         Hughes Aircraft Company.

1415     A Land Vehicle Navigation System Supported by a Digital
         Map Data Base.  Mr. Walter B. Zavoli, Etak, Inc.

1500     Obstacle Avoidance Simulation for Autonomous Land
         Vehicles.  Dr. Theodore A. Linden, Advanced Information
         & Decision Systems.

1525     An Incremental Path Toward Autonomous Vehicles.  Mr.
         Jack Harper, Robot Defense Systems, Inc.

1550     Robot Combat Vehicles: Synchronizing Technology and
         Applications.  Mr. R. G. Diaz, General Dynamics Land
         Systems Division.

1615     Remote Control Weapons Platforms.  Mr. C. Ron Clouser,
         Robot Defense Systems, Inc.

1640     Robotic Ranger: Recent Testbed Results/Path to Autonomy.
         Mr. Jerome Kirsch, Grumman Corporation.  (PROPRIETARY
         INFORMATION: US GOVERNMENT PERSONNEL ONLY)

1800-    RECEPTION BUFFET, Wyndam Hotel.
2000

Thursday, 7 November

0800     Design of a Lightweight, Full Mobility Vehicle.  Mr.
David D. Wright, Unique Mobility, Inc.

              SESSION III - KNOWLEDGE-BASED SYSTEMS

0825     Expert System for Logistics Analysis.  Mr. William O.
         Hedgepeth, US Army Logistics Center.

0850     Relevant Help, User Modeling, and Reasoning Under
         Uncertainty.  Dr. Joseph Dempsey, RCA.

0915     A Software Architecture for Realtime, Embedded Expert
         Systems.  Dr. Kenneth R. Whitebread, Honeywell, Inc.

1000     Stochastic Resources Allocation for Command and Control.
         Dr. Marc D. Diamond, FMC Corporation and Ms. Olivia M.
         Carducci, Carnegie-Mellon University.

1025     Knowledge Integrity Maintenance: Quality Assurance in
         Knowledge System Development.  Dr. E. Webb Stacey, Jr.,
         Scientific Systems, Inc.

                SESSION IV - COMMAND AND CONTROL

1050     Embedding AI Systems Into Command and Control
         Applications.  Ms. Sharon Storms, Ford Aerospace and
         Communications Corporation.

1115     A Knowledge-based System Approach for Enhanced Crisis
         Action Planning.  Ms. Ina Ghaznavi-Collins, GTE
         Government Systems.

1300     Intelligent Tactical Display.  Mr. James R. Richardson,
         Symbolics, Inc. and Captain Bill Johnson, US Army Armor
         Center.

                  SESSION V - NATURAL LANGUAGE

1325     A Natural Language Understanding System for Maneuver
         Control.  Mr. Isaac Fajerman, US Army Communications-
         Electronics Command, and Dr. Abe Lockman, Horizon
         Information Systems.

1350     A Speech Understanding Testbed for Command and Control
         Dialogs.  Dr. Richard Kittredge, Odyssey Research
         Associates and Mr. Isaac Fajerman, US Army
         Communications-Electronics Command.

                      SESSION VI - TRAINING

1415     A Mark 45 Maintenance Advisor.  Mr. Dick Grommes, FMC
         Corporation.

1440     The Design of a Generic Intelligent Trainer.  Mr. Philip
         Underwood, Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.

PAPERS TO BE PUBLISHED IN SYMPOSIUM PROCEEDINGS.

Project PERICLES: The Use of Artificial Intelligence in Assisting
the Provision of Legal Services.  Harvard University Law School.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************