Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 85 23:05:37 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id aa00879; 11 Sep 85 1:28 EDT
Date: Tue 10 Sep 1985 15:58-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #121
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Thu, 12 Sep 85 22:26 EST

AIList Digest           Wednesday, 11 Sep 1985    Volume 3 : Issue 121

Today's Topics:
  Seminars - Equational Logic as a Programming Language (UPenn) &
    Constructive Lexicon-Grammar (BBN) &
    Corporate Distribution Management (CMU) &
    Belief, Awareness, and Limited Reasoning (SU),
  Conferences - Factory Automation and Robotics &
    Aerospace Applications of AI

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Sep 85 14:10 EDT
From: Tim Finin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Equational Logic as a Programming Language (UPenn)

EQUATIONAL LOGIC AS A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE
Michael J. O'Donnell, The University of Chicago
3pm September 19th, 216 Moore School, University of Pennsylvania

  In  logic  programming  languages,  programs  are  logical assertions with no
explicit procedural  information,  and  execution  consists  of  the  efficient
derivation  of  certain  logical  consequences  of  a  program.    Prolog,  and
relational database query languages are both logic programming languages  based
on  the predicate calculus.  The advantages of logic programming are clarity of
programs, simplicity of semantics, and the  potential  for  parallel  execution
without  timing  dependence.    In this talk, I describe a programming language
based on the logic of equations.  A prototype implementation  exists,  and  has
been  used  in  a  number  of  experiments.    The  talk will focus on examples
illustrating the advantages of  equational  programming,  and  the  differences
between equational programming and Prolog programming.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Sep 1985 17:37-EDT
From: AHAAS at BBNG.ARPA
Subject: Seminar - Constructive Lexicon-Grammar (BBN)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

  The next BBN Artificial Intelligence seminar will be held in the 3rd
floor large conference room at 10 Moulton Street, 10:30 on Friday
September 13.  Bruce Nevins of BBN wil speak on "Constructive
Lexicon-Grammar". His abstract:

Maurice Gross's group in Paris found that, after they had specified
French verbs by their syntactic properties, there was no need for
lexical features to make further semantic distinctions between them.
Because of this perhaps surprising result, they have been able to
develop a highly specific lexical representation, using classifier
words in sentence forms rather than abstract features.  Their
lexicon-grammar replaces most context-free parsing with simple lookup
in 3-dimensional tables of syntactic properties of words.

Constructive grammar, as exemplified by Harris's _A_Grammar_of
_English_on_Mathematical_Principles_ (Wiley, 1984), uses only the
constructive `has-a' relations of dependency and adjunction, limiting
the taxonomic `is-a' relation to classifier hierarchies of words in
the lexicon.  A given input morpheme can only be one of a few kinds of
things: an operator with specified argument requirement, a primitive
argument (roughly, a concrete noun), an argument-indicator like -ing,
the operator-indicator -s, or a product of certain precisely
specifiable reductions of strings to more compact, and more
conventional, form.  Because each morpheme has at most only a very few
possible syntactic roles--frequently, just one--computer analysis of
text has much less structural ambiguity to cope with than in other
approaches.

In this talk, I will show how these two approaches to natural language
processing may be combined in a system for construing (as opposed to
parsing) natural language input that should be readily adaptable to
text generation as well.  I will sketch extensions similar to Naomi
Sager's system for automatically incorporating new text information
into subject-matter specific data bases.

------------------------------

Date: 9 Sep 85 11:09:38 EDT
From: Jeanne.Bennardo@CMU-RI-ISL1
Subject: Seminar - Corporate Distribution Management (CMU)

Topic:     Presentation of Inet Project
Speakers:  Ramana Reddy and Nizwer Husain
Place:     DH3313
Date:      Wednesday, September 11
Time:      11:30am - 12:30pm

The Inet project is an application of Knowledge Based Simulation(KBS)
techniques to the domain of corporate distribution management.  Corporate
distribution management provides a rich environment for studying new
techniques developed in KBS.  Consider a typical manufacturing organization
which manufactures a number of products and whose components are manufactured
in a number of widely separated locations.  These components are warehoused
and merged at different locations and distributed to reseller locations.  In
such a system there are numerous decisions that have to be made about the
transportation, warehousing, manufacturing and order administration policies.
The purpose of I-NET is to provide a simulation model which can be
understood, modified and used by managers directly without the assistance of
a programmer.  These facilities should provide the manager with an indepth
understanding of the distribution network and aid in decision making.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 9 Sep 85 10:45:56-PDT
From: Anne Richardson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Belief, Awareness, and Limited Reasoning (SU)

DAY       October 1, 1985
EVENT     Computer Science Colloquium
PLACE     Skilling Auditorium
TIME      4:15
TITLE     Belief, Awareness, and Limited Reasoning
PERSON    Dr. Joe Halpern
FROM      IBM Corporation

            BELIEF, AWARENESS, AND LIMITED REASONING

Classical possible-worlds models for knowledge and belief suffer from the
problem of logical omniscience: agents know all tautologies and their
knowledge is closed under logical consequence.  This unfortunately is not a
very accurate account of how people operate! We review possible-worlds
semantics, and then go on to introduce three approaches towards solving the
problem of logical omniscience.  In particular, in our logics, the set of
beliefs of an agent does not necessarily contain all valid formulas. One of
our logics deals explicitly with awareness, where, roughly speaking, it is
necessary to be aware of a concept before one can have beliefs about it,
while another gives a model of local reasoning, where an agent is viewed as a
society of minds, each with its own cluster of beliefs, which may contradict
each other. The talk will be completely self-contained.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Aug 85 10:33 EDT
From: (Herb Bernstein) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Symposium on Fact. Aut. & Robotics

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

Reminder:
  The Symposium on Factory Automation and Robotics
  A Forum for Industrial and Academic Robotics Engineers and Scientists
      will be held 9-11 September 1985
      by the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, NYU
      in honor of Marvin Denicoff
      sponsored by the National Science Foundation
Registration $35 ($25 for NYU faculty and staff), in advance to
      NYU/CIMS Symposium on Fac. Aut. and Robotics
      Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
      251 Mercer Street, New York, N.Y. 10012
        Attn:  Herbert J. Bernstein
Or at the meeting, Eisner and Lubin Auditorium, Loeb Student Center,
566 LaGuardia Place (corner of LaGuardia Place and Wash. Sq. South).
For more information or to RSVP, mail to yaya@nyu (on ARPANET), or
call 212-533-3363 or 212-460-7444.

------------------------------

Date: 6 Sep 1985 13:30-EDT
From: cross <cross@wpafb-afita>
Subject: Aerospace Applications of AI Conference

Registration is still open for the First Annual Aerospace Applications
of Artificial Intelligence, September 17-19, 1985 in Dayton Ohio.
The number to call for registration information is (513) 426-8430.
The conference will be held at the Dayton Convention Center and the
conference hotel, Stouffer's Dayton Plaza, is adjacent.  Stouffer's
phone number is (513) 224-0800. The registration cost of $225.00
includes the two conference luncheons and the banquet. The program is
listed below:

First Annual Aerospace Applications of Artificial Intelligence Conference
Program

Tuesday Morning, 9:00 AM - 9:15 AM

   Welcome to Dayton
          Mayor Paul Leonard

   Welcome to AAAIC'85
          Jack Schira, AAAIC'85 General Chairman
          Capt Stephen E. Cross, AAAIC'85 Program Chairman

Tuesday Morning, 9:15 AM -  11:30 AM

   Management Session

     Session Moderator:
          Brig Gen Philippe O. Bouchard
          Vice Commander, Aeronautical Systems Division

     Speakers:
          Brig Gen Philippe O. Bouchard
          Vice Commander, Aeronautical Systems Division

          Dr. Woodrow Bledsoe
          MCC and U. of Texas at Austin

          Dr. Joseph Watson
          Vice President of the Data Systems Group,
          Texas Instruments

          Dr. Clinton Kelly III
          Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

Tuesday Luncheon, noon - 1:30 PM, Stouffer's Dayton Plaza

          Dr. Ed Taylor, TRW

Tuesday Afternoon, 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM

    Avionics Session

      Session Moderator:
          Maj James R. Johnson, AFWAL

      Keynote Speaker:
          Dr. Tom Garvey, SRI International, AI Center
          "Keeping the Pilot in Command:  AI and Avionics"

      Speakers:
          Dick Feldman and Hal Cambell, Systran
          "Expert System Pilot Aid - an Update"

          Dr. Bruce Anderson, Christa McNulty, and Garr S. Lystad
          "Expert Systems for Aiding Combat Pilots"

          Dr. Michael R. Fehling, Teknowledge Inc.
          "Research Issues for Knowledge Based Planning"

   Programming Languages

     Session Moderator:
          Dr. Gary Lamont, AFIT

     Keynote Speaker:
          Dr. Kenneth Kahn, Xerox PARC
          "The Integration of Multiple Paradigms for AI
           Programming"

     Speakers:
          Charles T. Kitsmiller, J. Boose, T. Jardine
          Boeing Computer Services
          "Coupling Symbolic and Numerical Computing in Expert
           Systems"

          Bruce Reed Jr., Goodyear Aerospace
          "An Implementation of LISP on a SIMD Parallel
           Processor"

          Dick Naedel, Intellimac
          "Ada and Artificial Intelligence"

          Mark Miller, Computer Thought
          "Ada and Artificial Intelligence"

Wednesday Morning, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM

   Manufacturing

     Session Moderator:
          Dr. Vince Russo, AFWAL

     Keynote Speaker:
          Dr. Mark Fox, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon Univ.
          "Artificial Intelligence in Manufacturing"

     Speakers:
           Dr. Petros Papus, Westinghouse Electric Corp.
           "ISIS Project in Review"

           Robert Joy, Northrup Corp.
           "Lisp Machine Based Generative Process Planning and
            Object Oriented Simulation"

           Capt Thomas Triscari, AFIT, and
           Dr. William M Henghold, Universal Technology Institute
           "Research Needs for AI in Manufacturing"

   Man-Machine Interfaces

     Session Moderator:
          Dr. Tom Furness, AAMRL

     Keynote Speaker:
          Dr. William Rouse, Search Technology Inc.
          "Human Interaction with Intelligent Systems"

     Speakers:
          D. Woods and E. Roth, Westinghouse R&D Center
          "Joint Person-Machine Cognitive Systems:  Issues in
           Intelligent Decision Support"

          Norm Geddes, Georgia Institute of Technology
          "Intent Inferencing Using Scripts and Plans"

          Dr. Russ Hunt, Search Technology Inc.
          "Human Factors of Intelligent Computer-aided Display
           Design"

Wednesday Afternoon, 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM

   Maintenance

     Session Moderator:
          Cpt Rob Milne, Army AI Center, Pentagon

     Keynote Speaker:
          Dr. B. Chandrasekaran, Ohio State University
          "Artificial Intelligence Applications to Diagnostics
           and Maintenance"

     Speakers:
          Mr. R. Cantone, Automated Reasoning Corp., and
          Dr. Don Allen, Northrup Corp.
          "Technical Diagnosis by Automated Reasoning"

          Dr. Joseph Hintz, Raytheon Co.
          "Expert Systems in Higher Echelon Maintenance
           Activities"

          Dr. F. Pippitone and Dr. K DeJong, Naval Research Lab
          "FIS: An Electronics Fault Isolation System Based on
           Qualitative Causal Modeling"

   New Architectures

     Session Moderator:
          Dr. Barry Deer, Systran

     Keynote Speaker:
          Dr. Victor Lesser, Univ. of Massachusetts at Amherst
          "Overview of Important Issues in Distributed Problem
           Solving"

     Speakers:
          Dr. Barry Deer, Hal Cambell, Jack Schira, and
          Dick Feldman, Systran
          "Architecture-Based Machine Intelligence"

          Cpt Richard Routh and Dr. Matthew Kabrisky, AFIT
          "Cortical Thought Theory: A New Computing Architecture
           Based on the Human Brain"

          Bruce Reed, Goodyear Aerospace
          "The ASPRO Parallel Inference Engine (A Real Time
           Production Rule System)"

Wednesday Evening Banquet, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

          Dr. Mark Stefik, Xerox PARC

Thursday Morning, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM

   Decision Support Systems

     Session Moderator:
          Dr. Yan Yufik, NCR

     Keynote Speaker:
          Prof Donald Michie, The Turing Institute
          "The Automated Development of Decision Support
           Systems"

     Speakers:
          Cpt Rob Milne, Army AI Center, Pentagon
          "An Equipment Distribution Expert System"

          Dr. Thomas Sheridan, MIT, and Dr. Yufik, NCR
          "Hybrid Knowledge Based System for Operation
           Planning"

          Dr. Jeffrey Schwartz, Grumman-CTEC
          "Determining the Relevance of Cues:  A New Type of
           Decision Support"

   Expert System Tools

     Session Moderator:
          Mr. David Dietz, System Research Laboratories Inc.

     Keynote Speaker:
          Dr. Earl Sacerdoti, Teknowledge Inc.
          "Overview of Expert System Building Tools"

     Speakers:
          Dr. William Faught, IntelliCorp
          "Aerospace Application and the Use of KEE"

          Linda Brainard, System Research Laboratories Inc.
          "Developing Portable Expert Systems"

          Mark Maletz, Inference Corp., and C. Cuthbert, NASA
          "Monitoring Real-Time Navigation Processes Using the
           Automated Reasoning Tool (ART)"

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************