Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 85 23:05:13 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a006849; 12 Sep 85 13:30 EDT
Date: Thu 12 Sep 1985 09:31-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #122
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Thu, 12 Sep 85 22:33 EST

AIList Digest           Thursday, 12 Sep 1985     Volume 3 : Issue 122

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Expert Systems for Advising & Autonomous Vehicle,
  Bindings - KRYPTON Team,
  AI Tools - Prolog and Lisp,
  Obituary - Professor George Polya,
  Literature - AI Report, SEP 1985

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 85 09:57:34 cdt
From: Don <[email-masked]>
Subject: expert systems for advising

Can anyone provide me with information and/or a bibliography on expert
systems to advise undergraduate students vis-a-vis planning their
curricula?

Don Kraft
kraft%lsu@csnet-relay

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 10-Sep-85 17:45:01-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Autonomy

>From a recent AIList (Vol 3 # 119) announcement of a meeting
(Army AI) a discussion was to take place on a

``Robotic Ranger: Recent Testbed Results/Path to Autonomy...''

Can we really look forward to an autononous system? And in such
a setting?

Gordon Joly (now [email-masked])

------------------------------

Date: Tue 10 Sep 85 23:55:41-PDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Your Inquiry About KRYPTON

John,
        The KRYPTON project resulted in papers at AAAI-82, AAAI-83,
AAAI-84, and IJCAI-85, in addition to the one in IEEE Computer.  The
KRYPTON "team" is currently dispersed as follows:  Ron Brachman is at
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Hector Levesque is at the University of Toronto,
and Victoria Gilbert and I are at IntelliCorp.

richard fikes

------------------------------

Date: Tue 10 Sep 85 12:15:06-EDT
From: "Fanya S. Montalvo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Prolog and Lisp

In-Reply-To: <HEWITT.12141071402.BABYL@MIT-XX>

   From: Hewitt

   However, it
   is not possible to make a commercially viable Common Lisp
   implementation on Prolog.  This means that any good software written
   for a stand alone Prolog system will soon appear on the Lisp Systems
   but NOT vice versa.  Therefore the stand alone Prolog systems will
   always have impoverished software libraries by comparison with the
   Common Lisp systems and will not be commercially viable in the long
   run.

This type of argument strikes one as historical accident not as anything
fundamental.  And by that accident I mean vagaries of the market place.
Could you say more about how it's fundamental, or do you agree that it's
historical accident?

------------------------------

Date: Sun 8 Sep 85 14:28:05-PDT
From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Professor George Polya

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Dr. George Polya, professor emeritus at Stanford and a leading research
mathematician, died Saturday at his home after a long illness.  He was 97.
Memorial services are pending; the family prefers memorials be contributions
to the George Polya Memorial Book Fund, Stanford University Department of
Mathematics, Stanford 94305.

------------------------------

Date: 10 Sep 1985 09:13-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: AI Report, SEP 1985

Artificial Intelligence Report, September 1985, Volume 2, No. 9

REPORT ON IJCAI-85  (interesting facts not reported by me from
other sources)

over 6000 attendees, 250 papers, five dozen commercial display
booths, fourteen tutorials,

Xerox announced new 1185 and 1186 AI work stations at $9,9995 and
$15,865 are comptabile with the IBM-PC.

Symbolics anounced the development of a workstation which will
sell at approximately half the price of present machines.

Hewlett Packard demonstrated an integrated circuitry photolithography
advisor and natural language analyzer.

Intellicorp previewed KEE 3.0 which has an updated version of its
object oriented graphcis package (scheduled for shipment in January).
Intellicorp also announced KEEWorlds, a tool that compares and
merges complementary worlds of knowledge, a system for delivering
expert systems on a personal computer and a manufacturing
simulation package.  They will be opening a  European Office
in Munich.

Palladian Software announced a Financial Adivisor running on a Symbolics
3640 connected to a major mainframe.  The economic strategies were
provided by Professor Steward Myers of the Sloan School of Management.
Among the first commercial will be the CIGNA Corporation.

Symbolics announced a record fourth quarter and fiscal 85 sales.  It
has shipped its 1,250th machine.  Their new units will use Symbolics
release 6.1 and will run Common Lisp.

TI demonstrated its PC-Scheme.

Inference Corporation announced the ARTIST graphics environment
and the ART STUDIO knowledge base browsing material.  It signed
an agremement with the Insurance Company of North America to develop
expert systems for the financial industry.

Teknowledge released Version 2 of its M.1 expert system and has rewritten
S.1 in the C programming language.

Teknowledge has announced an agreement with Computer Thought company
to convert S.1 to ADA programming language.

Apollo Computer and Sun announced agreements with LUCID to sell and
support LUCID's implementation of COMMON Lisp.

Membership in AAAI is over 10,000.  AAAI next conference to
be held in Philadelphia, August 11-15 1986 will have two tracks,
engineering and scientific.

REPORT ON FRENCH AI PROGRAM

which listed areas being studied and government agencies supporting
AI.  Also includes a comment by Geoffroy d'Aumale, Editor of
La Lettre da l'Intelligence Artificiel that unless something is
done about French research in AI, the fifth generation will be out
of reach of French Industry

THE CONNECTION MACHINE

discusses the Connection Machine Project of Thinking Machine Company.
Thinking Machine Company also will be offering a program that indexes
natural language for online text browsing.  It can generate indexes
at the rate of 200,000 characters per hour.  It runs on Symbolic
Machine and will soon run on other systems running the C language.

THE TURING INSTITUTE

This is the commercially independent AI system in Glasgow, Scotland.
It has been founded by Donald Michie and has the charter to develop
intelligent computers without interference from 'systems analysts,
programmers and operators.'  They are affiliated with the company
behind Expert-Ease, Radian Corporation.

AION CORPORATION:

This company is building expert systems on personal computer that
can access large mainframe databases.

EXPERT-EASE SYSTEMS

Expert-Ease Systems of Menlo Park has received a Department of
Energy contract to
  1) develop an expert system to enhance reliability-based decision
     making in power plants
  2) apply knowledge engineering to power plant heat rate performance
     monitoring

List of quotes overhead at the Gartner Group Forum on AI

book reviews of:

%A Shimon Y. Nof
%T Handbook of Industrial Robotics
%I John Wiley and Sons
%C Somerset, New Jersey
%X 1358 pages $76.95

%A International Society for Optical Engineering
%T Applications of Artificial Intelligence II

%E Mary S. Pickett
%E John W. Boyce
%T Solid Modelling by Computers From Theory to Applications
%I Plenum Press

%A Stephen J. Andriole
%T Applications in Artificial Intelligence
%I Petrocelli Books
%C Princeton, New Jersey

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************