Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 85 04:15:10 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a001450; 21 Jun 85 19:18 EDT
Date: Fri 21 Jun 1985 12:04-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #81
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sat, 22 Jun 85 04:03 EST

AIList Digest           Saturday, 22 Jun 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 81

Today's Topics:
  Queries - EMYCIN KBs & Expert System Tools,
  Games - Scrabble Program,
  News - New BBoard on Application of AI to Education &
    Symbolic Math Mailing List,
  Psychology - Common Sense,
  Seminar Series - Pixels and Predicates (CSLI),
  Conference - NAFIPS Call for Papers

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed 19 Jun 85 09:25:21-MDT
From: Pete Tinker <[email-masked]>
Subject: request: EMYCIN KBs

We are implementing an EMYCIN-like system in the functional language FEL
and would like to feed it a substantial knowledge base.  We would appreciate
hearing from anyone who can make one available to us for internal use.

Thanks,

-Pete

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jun 1985 at 1102-EDT
From: jim at TYCHO.ARPA  (James B. Houser)
Subject: Expert system tools

        I would like to find out which of the "canned"  expert  system
development  systems  like KEE or KES are considered reasonable to use
on a Lisp machine.  An approximate idea of cost and machine  resources
required, and a POC would also be helpful.

        Thanx - Jim  (jim@tycho)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 85 07:03:33 pdt
From: Guy Lapalme <[email-masked]>
Subject: Scrabble Program

Dear Dr. Kender:
   Following your inquiry about programs for playing Scrabble, you might
   be interested to know that we have built a championship level program
   called Athena. It plays a version of the game called duplicate Scrabble
   which is the form used for championships in french. The idea is that
   everybody is playing the same board at the same time, each person
   has a 3 minute lapse of time to find the best play, each player gets
   the points for the word he/she found but the best word is put on everybody's
   board. That way, luck is eliminated and each player can find out what
   proportion of the optimal he/she found. In doing so, all strategy is of
   no use because at each move the best play FOR THAT MOVE is put on the
   board for everybody.
   Under those rules, our program consistently plays more than 98% .
   For the last four years, we had the program play the world championship
   games, and only last year it would not have been first.
   A paper describing the program was published in
       TSI (Techniques and Science of Informatics) vol2, no 4, p249-256, 1983.
   This is an english translation of a french publication.
   We also have a report that describe it in english.  Honestly, we cannot
   call the techniques we use AI techniques but more of "Scrabble Hacks",
   but so are in my opinion the last Chess Programs (ie the ones that win).
I hope that you find this information useful.
Guy Lapalme
Dept IRO
Universite de Montreal
PS: The programs now plays in french because we had access to a 80000 words
     dictionnary of acceptable words in french. We hope to get access to
    a similar list in English, Do you have one????
    Should you want to organize a tournament we would be glad to come.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 20 Jun 85 15:28:04-PDT
From: Mark Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: NEW BBOARD on Application of AI to education

There seemed to be enough interest to create a bboard on artificial
intelligence in education.  Here the description:

AI-ED@SUMEX-AIM

   Discussions related to the application of artificial intelligence to
   education.  This includes material on intelligent computer assisted
   instruction (ICAI) or intelligent tutoring systems (ITS), interactive
   encyclopedias, intelligent information retrieval for educational
   purposes, and pychological and cognitive science models of learning,
   problem solving, and teaching that can be applied to education.
   Issues related to teaching AI are welcome.  Topics may also include
   evaluation of tutoring systems, commercialization of AI based
   instructional systems, description of actual use of an ITS in a
   classroom setting, user-modeling, intelligent user-interfaces, and the
   use of graphics or videodisk in ICAI.  Announcements of books, papers,
   conferences, new products, public domain software tools, etc. are
   encouraged.

   Archives of messages are kept on SUMEX-AIM in:
      <BBOARD>AI-ED.TXT

   All requests to be added to or deleted from these lists, problems,
   questions, etc., should be sent to AI-Ed-Request@SUMEX-AIM

   Coordinator: Mark Richer <Richer@SUMEX-AIM>

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jun 1985 22:42-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: symbolic math mailing list/news group announcement

Symbolic math mailing list/news group announcement

   Mailing list covering symbolic math algorithms, applications and problems
   relating to the various symbolic math languages.  It is primarily  the
   USENET newsgroup net.math.symbolic; items are forwarded to ARPANET,
   BITNET and CSNET from randvax.

   Mail to be forwarded to the list should be sent to lseward@RAND-UNIX
   (ARPANET/MilNet) or net.math.symbolic (USENET).  Requests to be included
   on the list should be sent to lseward@RAND-UNIX.

   Coordinator: Larry Seward <lseward@RAND-UNIX>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 85 20:14:32 pdt
From: Eric Berglund <berglund@Pescadero>
Subject: Common Sense

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

For reasons too weird to explain, some friends and I have been trying to come
up with a definition or characterization of "common sense".  I'd like to
throw the question to the bboard community and hope for some help.  Though
I wouldn't mind getting cute little epigrams and silly jokes, I'm really
much more interested in a serious and thorough characterization.

As for the progress of our discussion so far, there seem to lots of things
that go under the heading of common sense:  street sense (don't wave lots
of money around in bad neighborhoods), minor mechanical aptitude (the ability
and willingness to fix the toilet when it's running), perspective (don't
cry if you drop an egg; do if you drop your kid).  At this point I want
to try to separate those from common sense and let common sense denote
things that don't fit under those titles--although perspective and common
sense may overlap.  (Of course, a good argument could convince me to
include them.)

We've come up with two main traits that a person with common sense has:
the ability to completely learn something once they've been taught it,
and the ability to understand others' motives and how their motives will
likely affect their behavior.  As an example of the first, a person may
not know that the quickest way to Formico's Pizza is down Embarcadero.
He may instead always go down University to 101 and head south.  However,
once he's driven down Embarcadero once and seen how much shorter it is,
he would seem foolish to go the long way if his motivation is to avoid
wasting time.  Having learned something, he should internalize the knowledge
to the point of being able to use whenever it's applicable.

As an example of the second, one should understand that if someone is
trying to sell you something, they're more likely to tell you the good
things about it than the bad, even if they're honest.  This is not just
street sense (let the buyer beware) but the ability to imagine yourself
in the situation of another person.

Any other such traits?  Or a neater way of summarizing them?

--Eric

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 85 22:24:45 pdt
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@Navajo>
Subject: common sense

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Common sense: that which is obvious once it has been pointed out.

More precisely, the two criteria for common sense are:
        common knowledge basis (all facts depended on must be common knowledge)
        low computational complexity (easy to check the conclusion).

------------------------------

Date: Wed 19 Jun 85 17:02:36-PDT
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar Series - Pixels and Predicates (CSLI)

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                             AREA P1 MEETING
                        ``Pixels and Predicates''

      Beginning Wednesday, June 26 we will start a discussion series on
   visual (graphic) communication: how can we relate predicates to
   pixels, and vice versa?
   Topics will include:
     * What image regularities do we perceive as the primitive elements
       of form, the ``visual morphemes'' that convey information?
     * How do people organize images into these parts, gain information
       about the situation from them, and use them in communication?
     * How can we use our knowledge of such matters to design graphic
       interfaces to facilitate visual communication?
   Those interested in these topics are encouraged to attend, debate
   vigorously, and perhaps suggest further topics for discussion.  The
   first speaker (tentative) is:

                 ``Visual Morphemes in the 3-D World.''
                           Alex Pentland, CSLI
                Wednesday June 26th, 3:00pm, Ventura Hall

   People have a strong perceptual notion of the ``parts'' of a 3-D
   form; a good understanding of what constitues ``a part'' is critical
   to communication about visual data. A theory of parts will be
   presented and a 3-D graphics modeling tool based on this theory will
   be discussed.                                --Alex Pentland

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 85 13:14:47 cdt
From: Don Kraft <[email-masked]>
Subject: Call for Papers -- NAFIPS Meeting

                         CALL FOR PAPERS

     North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society (NAFIPS)

                    International Meeting

            Monteleone Hotel    New  Orleans, Louisiana
               (In the Heart of the French Quarter)
                       June 1-4, 1986

     Papers on all fuzzy topics  are  encouraged,  and  wide
     international participation is expected.

     Deadlines
          Notice of intent with a title and abstract     9/1/85
          Completed paper  (3 copies)                   10/15/85
          Notification of acceptance                     1/15/86
          Camera-ready copy due                          3/15/86

     Proceedings  will  be  distributed  during   Conference
     registration.

     Send all abstracts and papers to:

          NAFIPS86
          Department of Computer Science
          Florida State University
          Tallahassee, FL  32306

     Abraham Kandel and Wyllis Bandler, Program  Committee Co-Chairs

     Fred Petry and Donald H. Kraft,  General Meeting Co-Chairs

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************