From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 85 10:27:27 est

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a023459; 21 Mar 85 21:05 EST
Date: Thu 21 Mar 1985 17:07-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #38
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 22 Mar 85 10:21 EST

AIList Digest            Friday, 22 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 38

Today's Topics:
  Psychology - Real-Time Decision Making,
  Games - Mastermind Rules,
  Humor - Stray Parens and Brackets,
  Linguistics - Hangul,
  Programming - Fourth Generation Languages,
  News - Misrepresentation & Recent Articles,
  Seminars - Semantic Interpretation Against Ambiguity (UToronto) &
    Massive Parallelism (UToronto) &
    Category Theory (UCB),
  Conference - Expert Weapons Systems

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 85 11:32:43 pst
From: Cindy Mason <[email-masked]>
Subject: decision making references

Does anyone know of references to

         Real time  multi-agent decision making strategies
         Real time single-agent decision making strategies
     OR
         Heuristics that humans use in real time situations
         in either group or solo problem solving?

Any leads on these topics will be appreciated.

        Cindy Mason  (clm@lll-crg)

------------------------------

Date: Thu 21 Mar 85 16:37:38-CST
From: Charles Petrie <[email-masked]>
Subject: Mastermind Rules Request

Does anyone have the set of "if/then" rules for playing
some version of mastermind?

[Several algorithms and sets of rules have been published
in the SIGART Newsletter.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Mar 85 08:16:56-CST
From: Jim Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: stray parens and brackets

Some of us recipients of the aforementioned stray parens here at MCC would
appreciate it if the Interlisp programmers out there would set #RPARS to NIL,
so that the pretty printer does not substitute square brackets for multiple
parens.  Many of us are working in Zetalisp, which does not recognize square
brackets as anything special, and trying to infer how many parens are
implied by a random square bracket is very difficult and time consuming.

Thanks for your consideration in this matter.

Jim Miller
MCC / Human Interface

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 85 09:16:13 PST
From: hplabs!tektronix!jans@mako
Subject: Hangul

    AIList Digest            Friday, 15 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 34
    Date: 14 Mar 85 08:14 PST
    From: [email-masked]

    The word "Hangul" (not "Hungal") may refer to a dialect, but that is not
    its main use.  It is the name of the wonderfully ingenious writing
    system that Korean has, named after the emperor who invented it.

Hangul refers not to an emperor, nor a transcription system, but the Korean
language in general.  Written Korean is called "Hangul" in much the same way
as written English is called "English".  The emperor in question is actually
King Sejong. (of the Koryo dynasty???)  This enlightened leader did not
actually invent the language, but commissioned a team of scholars to the task.
Hangul has the distinction of being the most modern natural language
trascription system (ci 1400, 1477 sticks in my mind for some reason) and the
only one in wide use that was designed and implemented, rather that growing
from common use.  Prior to it's invention, the Korean Language was written in
bastardized Chineese.  It's success is evident in Korea's near 100% literacy
rate, which is (by far) the highest among developing nations, and is among the
highest in the world.  (In fact, higher than good ol' USA!)

The "Golden Age" of King Sejong's reign also featured the development of
Korea's modern legal system, the first modern navy in the Orient, and numerous
other developments in the arts and sciences.

:::::: Jan Steinman             Box 1000, MS 61-161     (w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans    Wilsonville, OR 97070   (h)503/657-7703 ::::::

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 85 22:07:29 PST
From: Richard K. Jennings <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fourth Generation Languages

Re: Comments by Touretzky.

        I think the gist of the matter boils down to whether languages
or engineering should be taught in computer science departments.  My
undergraduate professors did not consider software creation to be
worthy of academic credit (extreme) [course 16, MIT, 78], but in
retrospect (see the discussions on SOFT-ENG) may have had  a point.

        We just recieved an Aero from VPI.  Given a task, he worked
out a solution, found a machine, looked at several available languages,
chose FORTRAN and wrote a program in about 4 hours to help him.  The
design is separate from the coding or implementation. [Since then, he
became frustrated with FORTRAN, BASIC and Z-100 assembler .. and is
now happily working with XLISP 1.4].

        In this context how does one exploy the concept of "shells"
for expert systems?  If one knows that a shell is applicable, I can
clearly understand (what I presume would be) Martin's argument to
use it.  If one is not sure, how should one's time be budgeted towards
understanding the problem, understanding the shell(s), selecting
a shell, and implementing a solution?

Rich.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 19 Mar 85 14:19:11-PST
From: AAAI <[email-masked]>
Subject: Misrepresentation

           [Forwarded from the SRI bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Recently, another incidence of someone misrepresenting themself as
a AAAI employee/consultant has occurred.  This person named
"Judy Robbins" is calling AAAI members inquiring about their
interest in attending one of the AAAI's many workshops and seminars.

The AAAI does have a workshop program that focuses on well defined,
narrow technical topics. No one from the AAAI office is involved
directly with the coordination of any of these workshops. So, if this
person calls you, please try to catch her phone number and address and
send it to us.

Thank you for your attention to this matter!

[There was a previous incident in which someone used the AAAI
name to solicit salary information.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Mar 1985 11:52-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent Articles

High Technology April 1985

41-49: Discusses DARPA Advanced Computer Research effort.
This includes the AI work, past civilian spinoffs of DARPA computer
initiatives, moral and social issues as well as results of interviews
with researchs who have problems with DARPA's efforts

3: add from AT&T describing expert systems for phone compnay cable
maintenance (which runs on the 3B2 computer), statistics (particularly
regression) expert systems , silicon compilers and systems to derive
new rules from existing rules in its database.

____________________________________________________________________________

Dec Hardcopy March 1985 Volume 14 no 3

43-49: AI for Micros minireviews of Golden Hill Common Lisp and Lisp/88,
micro prolog, Insight, Expert System Tool Kit (running under Forth) and
Expert Ease.  Also includes some general AI info for those not familiar
with AI.

18: evaluation of AI market potential.

Estimated 1984 AI products sold $140,000,000 worth with 5 billion
dollars by 1990.  Another study estimated that 'overinflated product
claims' and "brain drain from university to industry" would slow
growth down to 50 per cent a year (1 billion in 1989).

____________________________________________________________________________

IEEE Computer February 1985 Volume 18 Number 2 (Special Issue on
Hardware Description Languages)

Temporal Logic for Multilevel Reasoning about Hardware Ben Moszowski

Hardware Verification Fumihiro Maruyama and Masahiro Fujita
(Discussed application of theorem proving and PROLOG to hardware verification.)

Concurrent Prolog as an Efficient VLSI Design Language Norihisa Suzuki

A Transformation Model for VLSI Systolic Design MOnica S. Lam and Jack
Mostow

____________________________________________________________________________
Byte March 1985 Volume 10 No. 3

Page 10: "TI Offers AI Software for IBM PC, TI Professonal"

"Texas Instruments planned to announce Arborist, a decison-analysis
tool for managers, late last maonth.  Arborist, an expert system that
allows you to enter information in a natural-language format, sets up
decision trees that can be graphically displayed.  It is expected to
sell for about $500.00"

Page 221 "An XLISP tutorial"  tutorial on a public domain version of
LISP (written in C)
____________________________________________________________________________
Electronic News Monday, March 18, 1985
Page 24: PE Group named Richard W. Peebles director of research for
their AI group.  He was a manager of DEC's project to design office
systems based upon AI technology.

Page 61: Vuebotics (a company making machine vision systems) filed for
Chapter 11
____________________________________________________________________________
Electronics Week March 18, 1985 Page 48
Interview with Danny Hillis of Thinking Machines, Inc.

____________________________________________________________________________
Department of Computer Science and Engineering  Southern Methodist University

Dr. Chao-Chih Yang
Professor
Department of Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama

"Representations and Implemenations of the Decision Tables"

1:30-2:30 PM Friday March 22, 1985

Decision table definiitions; some representations such as functional
approach, logical approach, and relational database approach.
Implementations by a LISP program and PROLOG program.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 85 14:09:46 est
From: Voula Vanneli <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Semantic Interpretation Against Ambiguity
         (UToronto)

                   UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO
               DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
  (SF = Sandford Fleming Building, 10 King's College Road)

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE SEMINAR - Tuesday, March 26,  3  pm,
SF 1105
                   Professor Graeme Hirst
      Dept. of Computer Science, University of Toronto

        "Semantic Interpretation Against Ambiguity"

     A semantic interpreter must be able to provide feedback
to  the parser to help it handle structural ambiguities.  In
Absity, the semantic interpreter we describe, this  is  done
by  the  "Semantic Enquiry Desk", a process that answers the
parser's questions on semantic preferences.   Disambiguation
of  word  senses  and of case slots is done by a set of pro-
cedures, one per word or slot, each of which determines  its
correct  sense  in cooperation with the others.  A partially
disambiguiated  procedure's  remaining   possibilities   are
well-formed Frail objects that can be seen and used by other
processes, including the Semantic Enquiry Desk,  just  as  a
person  can  see  many  of the details of a partly developed
"instant" photograph.  It is  from  the  fact  that  partial
results  are  always  well-formed  semantic objects that the
system gains much of its power.  This, in turn,  comes  from
the  strict  correspondence  between syntax and semantics in
Absity.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 85 14:11:41 est
From: Voula Vanneli <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Massive Parallelism (UToronto)

                   UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO
               DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
          (GB = Galbraith Building, 35 St. George)

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE/THEORETICAL ASPECTS/SYSTEMS  SEMINAR
             Thursday, March 28, 11 am, GB 220
                  Professor Jerry Feldman
     Dept. of Computer Science, University of Rochester

  "Massive Parallelism in Nature and in Computer Science"

     Human brains made of millisecond  components  (neurons)
can carry out complex perceptual tasks in less than a second
i.e. in about a hundred sequential time steps.  This  compu-
tational  constraint,  among others, suggests that the algo-
rithms employed by nature are quite different from those  of
conventional  AI.   Several  groups  have been exploring the
direct use of "connectionist" computational models and  have
obtained  some  promising results.  The talk will describe a
model of massively parallel computation, its application  to
problems  of  vision and language, and some of the issues it
raises for theoretical and systems work on parallel computa-
tion.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 85 16:40:56 pst
From: chertok%ucbcogsci@Berkeley (Paula Chertok)
Subject: Seminar - Category Theory (UCB)

                          BERKELEY COGNITIVE SCIENCE PROGRAM
                         Cognitive Science Seminar -- IDS 237B

                 TIME:                Tuesday, March 26, 11 - 12:30
                 PLACE:               240 Bechtel Engineering Center
                 (followed by)
                 DISCUSSION:          12:30 - 1:30 in 200 Building T-4

            SPEAKER:        George Lakoff, Department  of  Linguistics,  UC
                            Berkeley
            TITLE:          ``Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things:  A  Guided
                            Tour''

                 I'll be presenting an overview of what's in my  new  book:
            WOMEN, FIRE AND DANGEROUS THINGS:  WHAT CATEGORIES REVEAL ABOUT
            THE MIND.  Here's some of what the tour will cover:

            - Prototype effects are surface phenomena that have sources  in
            cognitive  models  of  four types: scalar, propositional, meto-
            nymic, and radial.

            - Why prototype and basic-level effects are  inconsistent  with
            classical  theories of meaning, including all theories in which
            symbols (that is words, and mental representations)  are  taken
            as  being given meaning by virtue of their relation to external
            reality.  These include  model-theoretic  semantics,  internal-
            representations-of-external-reality,    Fodor's   `semantically
            evaluable' representations, etc.

            - The logical inconsistency of  model-theoretic  semantics  and
            all theories in which meaning is based on truth and reference.

            - How cognitive model theory gets around these problems.

            - Whorf and Relativism: Why there are hundreds of positions  on
            linguistic  relativity  which are not totally relativistic, and
            why at least one such position is probably true.

            - Why categorization phenomena are inconsistent with a view  in
            which (a) thought is merely a matter of symbol manipulation and
            (b) the mind is independent of the  body.  They  are,  however,
            consistent  with information processing approaches in which the
            mind is not separate from and independent of the body.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 85 11:29:58 EST
From: Morton A Hirschberg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Expert Systems in Government Symposium

  I am organizing the sessions on Weapon Systems at the upcoming Expert Systems
in Goverment Symposium to be held in McLean VA, Oct 23-25.  Weapons Systems
topics include adaptive control, electronic warfare, star wars, and target
identification.  Anyone wishing to organize sessions and/or submit papers
can contact me (soon).    Mort

  mort@brl-bmd

  Morton A. Hirschberg
  USA Ballistic Research Laboratory
  Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005-5066
  AMXBR-SECAD

  301-278-6661

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************