Subject: From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 May 85 20:55:06 edt

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a006344; 18 May 85 17:26 EDT
Date: Fri 17 May 1985 21:53-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #65
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sat, 18 May 85 20:47 EST

AIList Digest           Saturday, 18 May 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 65

Today's Topics:
  Administrivia - Seminar and Conference Notices,
  Seminars - A Procedural Logic (CSLI) &
    Planning and Scheduling (SU) &
    Modal Temporal Logics (SU) &
    Representations, Information, and the Physical World (CSLI) &
    Logical Query Languages for Databases (IBM-SJ),
  Conference - Symbolics Lisp Machine Users' Meeting

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri 17 May 85 21:51:31-PDT
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar and Conference Notices

The number of seminar notices varies with the academic season, but
clearly AIList is now carrying far more seminar and conference
announcements than two years ago.  Many readers have expressed
enthusiasm for the "clipping service" I have been providing, but
this material is now so overwhelming that it swamps other functions
of the discussion list.

A couple of weeks ago I asked for volunteers to forward bboard
messages from the major universities.  No one has volunteered.
I shall continue scanning the bboards for the present, but this
service will be dropped if either AIList or my professional
duties demand more of my time.

Steve Crocker has suggested to me that a separate list be split
off for seminar notices and [perhaps] conference announcements.
Then people could subscribe to the lists separately, and could
more easily archive and search just the data stream that they
find relevant.

I was originally opposed to such a split, but I have come to favor
it -- as long as someone else takes over distribution of the
seminar list.  I would provide the current distribution list,
and the new moderator could handle deletions and modifications
without much trouble.  New readers to either list would receive
a welcome message mentioning the companion list.  The new moderator
would be free to set his/her own policies about what to include
in the list.  Do I hear any volunteers?

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: Wed 15 May 85 16:59:50-PDT
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - A Procedural Logic (CSLI)

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                        THURSDAY, May 23, 1985

   12 noon              TINLunch
     Ventura Hall       ``A Procedural Logic''
     Conference Room    Michael Georgeff (SRI and CSLI), Amy Lansky (SRI),
                        and Pierre Bessiere (SRI)

      Much of our commonsense knowledge about the real world is concerned
   with the way things are done.  This knowledge is often in the form of
   `procedures' or `sequences' of actions for achieving particular goals.
   In this paper, a formalism is presented for representing such
   knowledge based on the notion of `process'.  A declarative semantics
   for the representation is given, which allows a user to state `facts'
   about the effects of doing things in the problem domain of interest.
   An operational semantics is also provided, which shows `how' this
   knowledge can be used to achieve given goals or to form intentions
   regarding their achievement.  The formalism also serves as an
   executable program specification language suitable for constructing
   complex systems.                     --Michael Georgeff and Amy Lansky

------------------------------

Date: Wed 15 May 85 14:32:11-PDT
From: Elliott Levinthal <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Planning and Scheduling (SU)

SIMA`s final Seminar on AI in Manufacturing and Design will take
place next Wedneday, May 29th, at 2:l5 in Terman, Room 2l7.

Dr. Karl Kempf
McDonnell Douglas Research Laboratories
Principal scientist, Artificial Intelligence Group

The scheduling of tasks to be executed in the real world is difficult
because the world contains an inescapable element of unpredictability.
However much effort has been expended in preparing a schedule prior
to execution, surprises are virtually inevitable once execution
commences.  Additional difficulties are often encountered through
the unnecessary confounding of planning and scheduling.  Planning
requires knowledge of the capabilities of classes of resources while
scheduling uses knowledge of the availability of individual resources.
It is generally not possible for the planner to have, at plan time,
the timely data necessary for efficient scheduling.  The objective
of the research described here is the clarification of the differences
between planning and scheduling, and the development of a representation
for schedules which is robust in the face of real world unpredictability.
Examples are given for the off-line construction of schedules using both
domain-independent and domain-dependent knowledge, and for the
on-line real-time knowledge-based execution of schedules.  The examples
are drawn from robotic machine tending and robotic assembly.

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jun 85  0100 PDT
From: Arthur Keller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Modal Temporal Logics (SU)

CS Colloquium, June 4, 4:15pm, Terman Auditorium

            MODAL TEMPORAL LOGICS: A SURVEY OF RECENT RESULTS

                              Daniel Lehmann
                            Hebrew University
                      (visiting Brandeis University)

In a joint work with S. Shelah, some extensions of the propositional
temporal logic of discrete time were advocated as useful for stating and
proving properties of probabilistic concurrent programs. Deductive
completeness theorems were proved. In a joint work with S. Kraus
corresponding decision procedures were investigated. Recently a system for
describing time and knowledge has been proposed. All those systems can be
characterized as two-dimensional modal logics, i.e. they involve two
essentially orthogonal modalities, one of them being time, that satisfy
some interchange law.  The techniques involved in studying such systems
and some open problems will be described.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 15 May 85 16:59:50-PDT
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Representations, Information, and the Physical
         World (CSLI)

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                        THURSDAY, May 23, 1985

   2:15 p.m.            CSLI Seminar
     Redwood Hall       ``Representations, Information, and the
     Room G-19          Physical World'' by Ivan Blair
                        Discussion led by Meg Withgott

      The notions of representation and information have been much used
   in recent cognitive psychology and philosophy of mind, yet much
   remains to be done to determine more precisely what is meant by these
   notions, particularly in elucidating the basis of their
   intentionality.  I think that the place to start with an investigation
   of these matters is the analysis proposed by Howard Pattee.  Pattee
   has for a long time wrestled with the question of how symbols are
   related to their referents, and has tried to establish some general
   principles of the symbol-referent or symbol-matter relation.
      I shall attempt to do two things in this presentation.  Firstly, I
   want to explain as briefly as possible Pattee's view of symbolic
   information (information carried by a symbol or string of symbols) and
   the relation of symbolic information to the physical world.  Secondly,
   I shall consider a prominent theory of information -- Dretske's, as
   presented in his book, ``Knowledge and the Flow of Information''
   (1981), -- in the light of various results about the nature of symbols
   and information that emerge from Pattee's analysis.          --Ivan Blair

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 85 13:12:18 PDT
From: IBM San Jose Research Laboratory Calendar
      <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: IBM-SJ Calendar <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Logical Query Languages for Databases (IBM-SJ)

                     [Excerpted by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                      IBM San Jose Research Lab
                           5600 Cottle Road
                         San Jose, CA 95193

  Mon., May 20 Computer Science Seminar
  10:30 A.M.  LOGICAL QUERY LANGUAGES FOR DATABASE SYSTEMS
  Audit. A     In an advanced form of relational database system, a
            collection of rules, probably Horn clauses, will
            stand between the user's query and the database.
            Because these rules may involve recursion,
            straightforward methods of query evaluation may not
            work, and a variety of strategies have been proposed
            to handle subsets of recursive queries.  We shall
            express such query evaluation techniques as "capture
            rules" on a graph whose nodes represent the rules and
            the terms in those rules.  Nodes may be "adorned" by
            codes for a limited number of special cases, such as
            an indication of which variables or arguments are
            free and which are bound.  One essential property of
            capture rules is that they can be applied
            independently, thus providing a clean interface for
            query-evaluation systems that use several different
            strategies in different situations.  Another
            important property is that we be able to test in
            polynomial time whether a capture rule applies, so
            that we can plan queries in less time than it takes
            to execute them.  We show how rules suggested
            previously can be fit into this framework, and we
            propose some new capture rules and generalizations of
            old ones.  In particular, a result with Y. Sagiv
            characterizes exactly the sets of rules for which a
            simple top-down query-evaluation algorithm with
            "sideways" passing of variable binding works.
            L. Naish gave an exponential algorithm to test
            whether this query-evaluation strategy works, but our
            theory provides a polynomial algorithm for the case
            when the number of arguments in predicates is
            bounded.  We also show that the problem is NP-hard if
            the number of arguments is part of the problem
            instance.  To apply top-down capture rules, we need
            to be able to prove convergence of certain
            iterations.  We therefore consider "unique" (logical)
            rules and the way that testing their convergence can
            be reduced to linear programming.  An algorithm
            developed with A. Van Gelder provides an even more
            efficient test for applicability of the top-down
            capture rule in the case of unique rules.

            Prof. J. D. Ullman, Computer Science Department,
            Stanford University
            Host:  P. Lucas ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date: Tue 14 May 85 00:33:14-PDT
From: Mabry Tyson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - Symbolics Lisp Machine Users' Meeting

Early next month there will be a national Symbolics Lisp machine users
group in SF.  Details are in the two messages below.

Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon 13 May 85 22:44:20-CDT
From: Rich Cohen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Info on National Meeting

A complete agenda of the 1985 National SLUG meeting follows in a separate
message.  Printed copies of the agenda and registration form were mailed out
to people for who we had US Mail addresses.  Copies were also sent to all SLUG
leaders and to all Symbolics sales offices.  So, everyone interested should be
able to get a copy of the printed announcement and registration form from one
of those sources.

Summary:

The 1985 National Meeting of SLUG will be held Monday, June 3, and Tuesday,
June 4, at the Cathedral Hill Hotel in San Francisco.  There will be sessions
all day Monday and Tuesday, and round table discussions both Monday and
Tuesday evenings.

Symbolics will host a wine & cheese reception at their San Francisco Training
Center Sunday evening.

The hotel has agreed to hold open a block of rooms for SLUG until Friday May
17th.  There is still time to call for a reservation.  The rate is $75/single,
$85/double.  Please tell them you are with the Symbolics Users Group.

There is no registration fee.  No meals or proceedings are included.  (There
is no free lunch.)  However, please to register so that we can estimate
attendence and coordinate arrangemens with the hotel.  If possible, try to get
a copy of the registraion form, and mail it in.  If you can't get a form, just
send a letter or post card stating your intent to:

        SLUG '85
        c/o Tom Fall
        GTE Western Division
        M/S B 212
        100 Furgeson Drive
        P.O. Box 7188
        Mountain View, California  94039

See you in San Francisco!

Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon 13 May 85 22:45:23-CDT
From: Rich Cohen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Agenda for National Meeting

                                   SLUG '85

            THE 1985 SYMBOLICS LISP USERS GROUP NATIONAL SYMPOSIUM

                    Monday, June 3 & Tuesday, June 4, 1985

                             Cathedral Hill Hotel
                                 San Francisco

This  is  the  planned  agenda for the 1985 National Symposium of the Symbolics
Lisp Users Group (SLUG).  The purpose of  SLUG  is  to  promote  communications
among users of Symbolics Lisp Machines, and between the users and Symbolics.

Non-technical sessions:

   - Corporate directions.
   - Company organization ... or "who to contact about what."
   - Field Service & Hardware Maintenance ... or "where the spares are."
   - Software  Support  ...  including HOSS, FOSS, and source distribution
     policies.
   - Questions for Symbolics Sales/Service/Management.
     General Question  &  Answer  session  with  Symbolics  managers  from
     Software  Products,  Documentation,  Field Service, Software Support,
     Education Services, Sales, and Marketing.

Technical Sessions:

   - Living with Release 6.0. Jon Balgley (Symbolics).   Now  that  you've
     gotten  the  tape, what do you do with it?  Discussion to include new
     features (such as Dialnet, the Mailer,  the  Document  Examiner,  the
     Command  Processor),  and  effects  on  user  code (e.g., coping with
     lexical scoping).

   - Technical Q&A.

   - Performance measurement and program tuning.  Dave Moon & Dave Plummer
     (Symbolics).

   - The  Symbolics  Window  System:    a  conceptual model with practical
     applications.  Rich Bryan & Jon Balgley (Symbolics).

   - 3600 Hardware Architecture.  Dave Stryker & Linda Birch (Symbolics).

   - Networks.  Charlie Hornig & Scott Matsumoto  (Symbolics).    Chaosnet
     support  under  VMS,  Berkeley UNIX; 3600 support for various network
     protocols, such as TCP/IP, DECNet, Symbolics Namespace Protocol.

   - Common Lisp.  Dave Moon, Dan  Weinreb,  and  Bob  Kerns  (Symbolics).
     Discussion  of the Common Lisp language definition, and how Symbolics
     Zetalisp, and Symbolics Common Lisp relate to it. (LISP in a changing
     world.)

   - Prolog and the 3600.  Bob Cassels (Symbolics).  The chief implementor
     of Symbolics Prolog talks about Prolog, LISP, and the 3600.

Round Table Discussions:

   - Tools for Building Expert Systems -- Some Practical Experience.   Tom
     Fall  (GTE),  chairman.    A discussion of users' experience building
     expert systems on the 3600; how they chose among the available tools,
     and their experience in trying to use the tools effectively.

   - Dealing  with  Symbolics:   What we really do in the field.  Ken Olum
     (Fairchild), chairman.  An open discussion with general users  and  a
     panel of people who manage and support large sites.

     Possible topics to be discussed:

        * User experience with hardware maintenance,
        * Service contracts vs. time-and-materials.
        * Installing new Symbolics releases -- how well does it work, what
          do you need to know besides what's in the installation guides.
        * Management of worlds, tapes, and disk space.
        * Installing larger disk drives.
        * Maintaining multiple releases at one time & migrating  from  one
          release to the next.
        * Sending bug reports and getting fixes from Symbolics.
        * Maintaining local patches and modifications to worlds.

SLUG Business Meeting:

   - SLUG Charter.
   - Election of officers
   - Establishing a program library.
   - Menu of our concerns & suggestions to be presented to Symbolics.

There  will  be  a  wine & cheese reception Sunday evening at the San Francisco
Symbolics Training Center (a few blocks from the hotel).  The session  schedule
is  not  complete,  but  we  expect  to  hold  sessions both Monday and Tuesday
evening.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	COMSAT         25-JUN-1985 22:53  
To:	FRANCE
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a006290; 25 Jun 85 12:22 EDT
Mail-From: LAWS created at 18-May-85 15:00:19
Date: Sat 18 May 1985 14:51-PDT
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #66
To: AIList@SRI-AI
ReSent-date: Tue 25 Jun 85 09:19:37-PDT
ReSent-From: Ken Laws <Laws@SRI-AI>
ReSent-To: France%VPI.CSNet@CSNET-RELAY
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Tue, 25 Jun 85 22:49 EST

AIList Digest            Sunday, 19 May 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 66

Today's Topics:
  Query - Exploring Language with Logo,
  Binding - Mark Grover,
  Tools - STATECHARTS Reference & Lisp Machines & TI's Explorer,
  Opinion - Introspection and Communication & Emotional Reasoning,
  Journal - AI in Engineering

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 18 May 85 14:48 EDT
From: Bill Caswell <caswell@nswc-wo>
Subject: Exploring Language with Logo

Last November, a seminar on material from a forthcoming book, "Exploring
Language with Logo", by Paul Goldenberg and Wallace Feurzeig, was announced
in this list.  The book was to be published 'first quarter, 1985' by Harper
and Row, and I have not seen anything about it since.  Has it been published,
or is it otherwise available?                               Bill

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 1985 1951-EDT (Wednesday)
From: [email-masked] (Mark D. Grover)
Subject: Binding - Mark Grover

Binding:  Mark D. Grover
Formerly:              TRW Defense Systems Group (Advanced Technology Facility)
                       Fairfax, Virginia [trwatf!maverick@SEISMO]
Beginning 5/24/85:     Advanced Information & Decision Systems
                       Washington technical office [Arlington, Virginia]

New ARPAnet address:   GROVER@AIDS-UNIX

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 85 18:43:10 edt
From: Walter Hamscher <[email-masked]>
Subject: STATECHARTS reference

Here's the reference:

Harel, D.
Statecharts: A Visual Approach to Complex Systems
CS84-05, Department of Applied Math, Weizmann Institute of Science,
Rehovot, Israel. 1984.  35pp.

Harel's developed a nice notation for complex finite-state machines
by making use of hierarchic states, allowing both XOR-decomposition
of a state (i.e. the system's in one & only one of the substates)
and AND-decomposition (i.e. the system's in a state defined by the
cross product of the substates).  By defining some other conventions
about transition arcs, the result is surprisingly compact and
expressive.  However, his discussion of adding actions to arcs and
states seemed a bit less elegant.  Worth a look.

Incidentally, Harel's netadress is [email-masked] ...

------------------------------

Date: 17 May 85 08:27 PDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Lisp Machines

In reply to curtis L. Goodhart <goodhart%cod@Nosc>

You don't need any specific kind of machine to run lisp. There are lisp
implementations for lots of machines. Some of them can be quite fast.
Specialized instruction sets for Lisp allow you to get performance
without declarations, to retain full information for symbolic debugging,
better garbage collection performance, and the ability to retain
run-time type-checking even in performance critical loops.

Memory utilization is generally much better; for example, the last time
I measured, Interlisp-D programs took less than half the bytes to
represent than the same programs on a VAX,  and CDR-coding allowed the
average size for a CONS cell to be 36 bits rather than 64. Lisp machines
can afford to use compact data structures because the instruction set
can be designed to deal with them; "conventional" instruction sets
generally cannot be skewed to make otherwise obscure manipulations
(fetch bits 4-5 and branch if 0) into single operations.

All of the lisp machines on the market come with software as well as
hardware. Dedicated machines allow the implementation of integrated
environments and high performance graphical interfaces which are
generally unavailable on conventional computers. The software
enviornment can be major portion of the "value added" of the system; the
proportion is likely to continue as hardware costs drop.

What is true of larger machines today will be true of smaller ones in
the future; while prices of all computer components drop, so do the
prices that people expect to pay for them.

The earliest reference I've found is Peter Deutsch's paper, "A Lisp
machine with very compact programs," IJCAI 1973. "Programming
environments" are quite popular these days, with whole conferences
devoted to them, although most of the papers spend their time extolling
individual environments rather than the notion of them.

There are other justifications more recent found in the marketing
literature of various vendors, written to make sure that its clear that
each is the best.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 18 May 85 12:17:18-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <[email-masked]>
Subject: TI's Explorer won Industrial Design Awards

    [ from the Austin American Statesman - May 18 ]

TEXAS INSTRUMENTS' AUSTIN-developed EXPLORER artificial intelligence
workstation has received one of 23 Industrial Design Awards given by
ID Magazine.  More than 800 entries were judged on innovation,
problem-solving, aesthetics, materials and use of the products.
The computer also won a design award in a competition at the
Hannover Trade Fair in West Germany.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 85  9:28:33 EDT
From: Bruce Nevin <[email-masked]>
Subject: indignation and clarity

        From: _Bob <[email-masked]> (the Midnight Theorizer)

    I have some doubts about that part of AI which asserts the validity
    of scientific inquiry that gathers "data" by introspection.  But I
    have even greater doubts about moral indignation as a criterion for
    rejection of hypotheses (or of humor, for that matter).

Chomsky has argued that introspective data are necessary for a science
of language.  His followers and apostates have demonstrated how
hazardous they can be.  His teacher, Zellig Harris, has shown that
appeals to introspective data can be well defined and few with no loss
to linguistic science.

As to moral indignation, it is possible to read this message and wonder
whether it is allowed any legitimacy, and to ask under what circumstances
the writer would find moral indignation appropriate.  I believe this would be a
misreading of the message, but nonetheless a possible reading.

Ambiguity is ineluctable.  I believe we have to anticipate, insofar as
is possible, the ways in which we may be misconstrued, and make our
communications clear IN TERMS APPROPRIATE TO THE MISCONSTRUING AUDIENCE.
To insist that the burden of rightly understanding rests alone on those
who have misunderstood is practically to guarantee a failure of
communication.

There is another well-known mechanism in which a social level of
communication is incongruent with a psychological level.  A simple
example is the stereotype that has been made of Bateson's work on the
double bind (Mother says `I love you, come here' while appearing fearful
and angry, or in a context that punishes the child).  The communication
that is not consciously acceptable to the sender is kept out of the
sender's awareness.  The receiver must choose which message to believe
and act on consciously, and believes and acts on the other message
unconsciously.

Most miscommunication, it has been argued, occurs when people make
different choices about which parts of the complex message are socially
acceptable and which are not.  And people often vigorously resist
recognizing the beliefs and disbeliefs that they have been communicating
and otherwise acting on out of conscious awareness.

The `talking past each other' that we have just seen on this list
concerning rape and humor has this character.

By the way, I recommend Milton Rokeach, The Open and Closed Mind,
for a perspective on belief-disbelief systems that would be useful for
modelling human `knowledge bases'.

        Bruce Nevin ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 85 04:52:50 est
From: "Marek W. Lugowski" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Emotion & AI and its discussion on the AIList

The discussion of emotion in the context of AI can be of benefit to us all.
For too long, AI has equated thinking with "reasoning", where reasoning is
a something, and entirely apart from a something else called "passion".  This
dichotomy is Plato's, and likely an AI liability, given the affective basis
for one's actions and one's interpretation of actions.  Judgement as such
crucially depends on emotional state, as psychiatrists well know.  Judgment
is what yesterday's Shakey the Robot lacked, and what today's naive physics
is ostentatiously after.  Alas, nothing's changed:  Each confines itself to
the rigid minuet of "reasoning" devoid of emotional context.

Incidentally, the AIList-Digest's discussion of emotion has been stirring up
ideas in the classical vein of emotional muckraking, not so much dispassionate
analysis.  What's needed is computational ideas on how to model emotions: to
start with, in a "toy" domain.  And don't assume that they are if-then rules!

                                        -- Marek Lugowski
                                           [email-masked]
                                           Indiana U. CS Department
                                           Bloomington 47405

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 13 May 1985 23:34:24 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: New Journal - AI in Engineering

A new journal on the applications of AI in Engineering will be launched at
the First Conference on Applications of AI in Engineering next April.
Details of the journal are provided below. The deadline for sending papers
for the first issue is  November 15, 1985.

                      International Journal for
                ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IN ENGINEERING

Editors:
     D. Sriram                          Dr. K. J. MacCallum
     Dept. Civil Engineering            Dept. of Ship & Marine Tech.
     Carnegie-Mellon University         Marine Technology Centre
     Pittsburgh, PA 15213               100 Montrose Street, Glasgow
     USA                                Scotland

Recent  advances  in  the applications of artificial intelligence (AI)
are begining to make a major impact in the world of engineering. As  a
consequence,  important  opportunities  for  using computers to tackle
engineering problems in new  ways  are  opening  up.  The  engineering
industry  must  keep  itself  fully informed of these developments and
contribute to them, if  it  is  to  realize  the  potential  of  these
advances.

The  aim  of  this  journal  is  to  establish  a forum for a fruitful
exchange of ideas  through  the  publication  of  up-to-date  research
results  and recent developments. While the range of AI topics covered
by the journal is broadly based, the emphasis will be on research  and
development  leading  to problem solving. The journal should appeal to
engineers  for  all  disciplines  who  are   involved   in   research,
development or implementation of computer systems.

Members of the journal's leading international Editorial Board will be
responsible  for the review of all papers submitted for publication to
ensure that readers receive a consistently high  quality  of  work  in
each issue.

>From  time  to  time  review  papers  will  be  published  to  provide
state-of-the-art analyses of various areas  of  current  interest.  In
addition  the  journal  will  provide a review of books and reports in
this expanding field as well as news letters, and a dairy of events of
conferences, courses and meetings in AI.

FIELDS COVERED

   - Expert systems
   - Knowledge representation
   - Knowledge-based simulation
   - Computer aided design
   - Design modelling
   - Cognitive modelling of engineering problems
   - Learning
   - Computer based training
   - Intelligent tutors
   - Robotics
   - Planning and scheduling
   - Constraint management
   - Natural language applications
   - Database interfaces
   - Graphical interfaces
   - Computer integrated manufacturing

REGULAR FEATURES

   - Discussion of published papers
   - Conference and meeting reports
   - Personalia
   - Letters
   - Book reviews
   - Current literature
   - Calendar of events
   - News

POLICY AND CALL FOR PAPERS

The editorial policy encourages the publication of  research  articles
on  recent advances in AI in engineering. State-of-the-art papers will
also be included from time to time. Details on presentation of  papers
for consideration of publication can be obtained from the editors.

SUBSCRIPTION

This  journal  will  keep  you  abreast  with  the  major research and
development work  around  the  world  in  AI  applied  to  engineering
problems. The editors and their international Editorial Board are well
placed  to  keep  you  informed in these rapidly developing field. For
more details contact:

          Lance Sucharov
          Publishing Director
          CML Publications
          Ashurst Lodge
          Ashurst
          Hants SO4 2AA
          England

For  a  author's  tookit (in US),  write  to  D. Sriram  or   send   mail   to
[email-masked].

  [The subscription price has not yet been determined.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************