From: CSVPI 15-FEB-1985 23:37
To: JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a009032; 15 Feb 85 14:49 EST
Date: Fri 15 Feb 1985 11:06-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #20
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 15 Feb 85 23:33 EST

AIList Digest            Friday, 15 Feb 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
  Expert Systems - Logic-Based Systems,
  AI Tools - PSL and Kurzweil,
  Literature - Recent Articles & Weizmann Institute Reports &
    Mathematics: People, Problems, Results & Expert Systems Journal
  Seminars - Fifth Generation Revisited (SU) &
    BareSlug Meeting (SU)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu 14 Feb 85 15:14:12-CST
From: Charles Petrie <[email-masked]>
Subject: Logic-Based Expert Systems

From the what-you-and-everyone-else-would-like-department: I'm looking
for non-trivial but (sigh) non-proprietary expert system applications
written in a logic-based system such as DUCK, MRS, or PROLOG.  Please
let me know if you can help. CS.PETRIE@UTEXAS-20

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 13-Feb-85 12:51:52-GMT
From: MACCALLUM QM (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: More on PSL and Kurzweil

 The network contact for PSL seems to be Jed Krohnfeldt
<jed%arpa.utah-orion%arpa.utah-cs> who maintains a psl-forum
mailing list.

 The Kurzweil Optical Character Reader is a product of
Kurzweil Computer Products
185 Albany Street
Cambridge, Mass. 02139
(617) 864-4700
Telex 951246 KURZWEIL CAM

and is sold in Britain by
Penta Systems (UK) Ltd
15 Sheet Street
Windsor, Berks.
(07535) 55513

According to the glossy bumph it can hold 25 different fonts and can be
trained to recognise others, each containing up to 400 characters. These
can be defined from the first few pages of a document using a "training
script".It can handle various paper and print sizes. Output is to
floppy, tape, or via a LAN. I have four closely-typed pages of
promotion material, but obviously the rest of the details can be
obtained direct from the company.

 I also believe there are machines at Glasgow and Cambridge (UK) which
are readily available to users. London is about to buy one (or possibly
two) at about 50K pounds each (I think).

Malcolm MacCallum

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 85 09:55:37 cst
From: Laurence Leff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Recent Articles

International Journal of Man Machine Studies Volume 21, No 3 Sep 1985
An Economical Approach to Modelling Speech Recognition Accuracy 191
An Analysis of Formal Logics as Inference Method in Expert System 213
Users and Experts in the Document Retrieval System Model 245
An Experimental Expert System for Genetics 259

Angewandte Informatik No 11 Nov 84
Design of a Corporate Know-How database 471

Electronics Week Volume 57 no 36 December 1984
AI Transforms CAD/CAM to CIM J. R. Lineback

IEEE PAMI Volume 6 no 6 Nov 84
Parallel Branch and Bound Formulations for And/Or Tree search 768

Computer Aided Design Volume 16 No 5 1984
Wirewrap Design Aid written in Prolog 249
Two algorithms for three-layer channel routing 264

Computers and Biomedical Research V 17  1984
An Expert System which critiques Patient Workup: Modelling Conflicting
Expertise 554-569

------------------------------

Date: Sat 9 Feb 85 12:59:51-PST
From: Chuck Restivo  <[email-masked]>
Subject: List of Weizmann Institute Reports

          [Forwarded from the Prolog Digest by Laws@SRI-AI.]

[...]
Ehud Shapiro also forwarded a list of available publications from the Weizmann
Institute.  This is available as <Prolog>Weizmann_Abstracts.Doc
at SU-SCORE.ARPA.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 11 Feb 85 14:41:07-PST
From: C.S./Math Library <[email-masked]>
Subject: Mathematics: People, Problems, Results  edited by Douglas
         Campbell and John Higgins

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Mathematics: People, Problems, Results is a three volume book which is now
in the Math/CS Library--QA7.M34466 1984, v.1, v.2, v.3.

V.1--Historical Sketches, Some Mathematical Lives,The Development of Mathematics
V.2--The Nature of Mathematics, Real Mathematics, Foundations and Philosophy
V.3--Computers, Mathematics in Art and Nature, Counting Guessing Using,
     Sociology and Education

The following authors have papers included in the three volumes: D.E.Knuth,
N.Wiener,A.L.Samuel,H.A.Simon,M.Kline,M.Minsky,Bertrand Russell,Richard Courant,
D.R.Hofstadter,George Polya,John von Neumann,David Hilbert

HLlull

------------------------------

Date: Wed 13 Feb 85 00:01:31-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: Expert Systems Journal

I have received a brochure for a new quarterly: Expert Systems, the
international journal of knowledge engineering, from Learned Information, Inc.,
143 Old Marlton Pike, Medford, NJ 08055, (609) 654-6266  [with offices
in Oxford as well].  A subscription is normally $79, but through March 15
they are offering it at $67.  They are also throwing in a copy of their
"$25" soon-to-be-published report, The Guide to Expert Systems, that will
include an introduction, glossary, and directory of companies.  Two back
issues of the journal are available for $30 (total, I presume).

The editors are Ian F. Croall of AERE Harwell in Britain, Donald A. Waterman
of The Rand Corporation, and Mitsuru Ishizuka of The University of Tokyo.
The editorial board includes Alex Goodall, Tohru Moto-Oka, Douglas
Partridge, and J.R. Quinlan.

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: Tue 12 Feb 85 11:49:29-PST
From: Ellie Engelmore <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Fifth Generation Revisited (SU)

  [Forwarded from the Stanford SIGLUNCH distibution by Laws@SRI-AI.]

SPEAKER:        Edward Feigenbaum
                Professor of Computer Science
                Stanford University

TITLE:          Fifth Generation Revisited--Some Informal Impressions

DATE:           Friday, February 15, 1985
LOCATION:       BRAUN Lecture Hall - Next to Mudd Chemistry Building
                                   Roth Way - Near Campus Drive
TIME:           12:05

The Japanese Fifth Generation Project, and its central institute ICOT,
held the Second International  Conference on Fifth Generation  Systems
last November. Well  over a thousand  people attended this  impressive
gathering and its associated Open House to hear about and see progress
on the project and plans for its future.

I'll recount  my  impressions  of  these  events  and  impressions  of
industrial activity in  the AI  area both  inside and  outside of  the
Fifth Generation project.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 11 Feb 85 15:44:07-PST
From: Joe Karnicky <[email-masked]>
Subject: BareSlug meeting, Fri. Feb. 15

BAY-AREA SLUG PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT- FEBRUARY 1985 MEETING

******** note the time and location changes *************

Date: Friday, February 15, 1985
Time: 3:15-5:15 PM
Place: Stanford Campus , Room 041 Jordan Hall (in the basement)
       See the directions at the end of this notice

for additional information contact:
  Tom Fall, General Chairman 408/289-2373
  Ron Antinoja, Program Chairman 415/966-4043
  Ken Olum, Program Librarian 415/858-4498 <KDO@SRI-KL>
  Joe Karnicky, Correspondence Secretary 415/424-5085 <KARNICKY@SCORE>

PROGRAM

  Tom Jensen of Evans and Sutherland will give a talk
entitled: "Essential Adaptation: Computer Assisted Symbolic
Manipulation and Computer Aided Geometric Design".  The talk will
include, but not be limited to, discussion of MACSYMA.
  Rich Cohen at U. Texas is interested in organizing a two day national
users group meeting, probably in S. F. probably at the end of May.  At
the business meeting we'll discuss the interest in (and desirable content
of) such a meeting.
  We'll finish with the usual gripe session.

SUMMARY OF LAST MEETING (Jan. 11, 1985)

  Richard Lamson talked on "hacking the window system".  He focused on
the way the window system handled the mouse.  This can be a fairly
complex process, in part because the process must appear to run real
time while sharing the machine with other processes. (e.g. mouse
clicks are time tagged so that when they are handled the response is
to the window the cursor was in at the time of the click rather then
the time of handling.)  The talk gave valuable insight into the inner
workings of the Symbolics machine and helped clarify the window system
operations.
  Tom Fall spoke of his experiences using the KEE system (version 1.2,
*not* the current release) on Symbolics.  Strong points of the system
included the ability to rapidly create a prototype, thus quickly
providing a focus and device for knowledge acquisition, good graphics,
ease of use, and excellent support.  Weak points include
difficulty in connecting the KEE program to other code, some difficult,
opaque bugs, and documentation that could stand improvement.
  During the business meeting, interest was expressed in hearing about
other software systems, such as ART or S1.  Especially interesting would be
discussion by someone from an installation that used several different
systems.

===========================================================================
Map to next meeting:
         --            |     quadrangle        |
        |  |           |                 X     |  <-- X=Jordan Hall
         --             ----------   ----------
  Hoover Tower        ----------------------------    ____
                                  / \     serra St.   @@@ \-----------
                                 /   \                @@@ | \ ---------
Notes:                          |     |                   |  |
1)the map is *not* to scale      \   /                    |  |
                                  \ /                     |  |
2)look for parking                 |<-Palm Drive          |  |
in the pay-parking lot shown by    |               <--    |  |
the @ characters,    --------------------------------------  |
or along Serra.      -----------------------------------------
                                   |    Campus Dr.  -->
                      -------------|-------------
                                   | Arboretum Rd.
                                   |

       <--to S.J.           El Camino Real        to S.F.-->

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI          17-FEB-1985 04:22  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a015231; 17 Feb 85 1:50 EST
Date: Sat 16 Feb 1985 22:09-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #21
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sun, 17 Feb 85 04:18 EST

AIList Digest            Sunday, 17 Feb 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 21

Today's Topics:
  Applications - Computer Gods & I Ching,
  Humor - Word Processing & Stacks & Garbage Collection &
    Hairstyle Generation & AI Positions &
    Cryptographic Humor & Mathematical/Linguistic Humor
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 85 9:18:51 EST
From: Pete Bradford (CSD UK) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Description of Telesophy Project.

        The  idea  of a worldwide computer net cannot fail to remind
     those of you who have read the story, of the SF classic,  I think by
     my compatriot and old friend, Arthur C. Clarke.

        The story tells of the quest by mankind to establish the ex-
     istence or otherwise of a God.

        They built the largest computer the world had ever seen, and
     asked it whether there  was  a  God.  "Insufficient data.", came the
     reply.   So they built an even larger one:  "Insufficient data." was
     still the only answer they got.   Finally, somebody came up with the
     idea that if all the  computers in the world were linked together in
     some way, the resulting `Supercomputer' might be able to do the job.

        The  project was completed,  and the burning question was at
     last put to the machine; "Is there a God?".   It was not long before
     the machine came back with its reply.

        "Yes, there is a God -- now!".

                                PJB

------------------------------

Date: Mon 11 Feb 85 10:02:59-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: Computer Gods

Asimov wrote a similar piece about the "AC Computer", which grew in complexity
until the entire "physical embodiment" was moved into hyperspace (to permit
convienent internal and external communication throughout the universe, I
suppose).  Various people asked it how entropy could be reversed and the
universe rejuvenated, but there was always insufficient data.  After Man
and the stars had faded out, and no further data could possibly come in,
the computer continued to work on the problem.  At last it came up with
an answer, and said "Let there be light."

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 85  2008 PST
From: Brian Harvey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Another Computer Application

11 Feb 85
By ROLLANDA COWLES
Reporter for the Staten Island (N.Y.) Advance
Newhouse News Service
(DISTRIBUTED BY THE NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE)

    NEW YORK - You've had your eye on a new car for some time. Should
you buy now or wait?  [...]
    ''Try the computer,'' counsels John C. Lee, president of the
Manhattan-based Horizon East, which has come up with a computerized
version of the ''I Ching,'' the Chinese book of wisdom. [...]
    The computerized version of the ''I Ching,'' which Horizon East is
presenting for the first time in the West, is based on a
numero-astrological reinterpretation of the ''I Ching.'' Keyed to
one's date of birth - year, month, day and hour - the ''I Ching''
spells out an analysis of one's life and offers near-inexhaustible
wisdom and counsel.  [...]
    The computerized ''I Ching'' provides a lifetime analysis and
detailed analyses of the past two years and one year into the future.
    It took eight people 10 months to program the Horizon East
computer, which stores approximately 4 million characters pertaining
to the ''I Ching'' in its memory. So far, Lee says, the response has
been favorable.
    ''Because the computer handles the information much more
efficiently, we are able to offer ... service by mail at a very
reasonable cost,'' he says, noting that where personal analyses often
cost about $200, the computerized version costs $20. [...]

------------------------------

Date: 06 Feb 85  1850 PST
From: Arthur Keller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Russell Baker on Word Processing

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

[Russel Baker's column last Sunday had some pithy comments about the
cognitive effect of our writing tools.  Readers who enjoy the excerpt
below should look up the full article.  -- KIL]

OBSERVER: The Processing Process
By RUSSELL BAKER
c.1985 N.Y. Times News Service
    NEW YORK - For a long time after going into the writing business, I
wrote. It was hard to do. That was before the word processor was
invented. Whenever all the writers got together, it was whine, whine,
whine. How hard writing was. How they wished they had gone into dry
cleaning, stonecutting, anything less toilsome than writing.
    Then the word processor was invented, and a few pioneers switched
from writing to processing words. They came back from the electronic
frontier with glowing reports: ''Have seen the future and it works.''
That sort of thing.  [...]
    It is so easy, not to mention so much fun - listen, folks, I have
just switched right here at the start of this very paragraph you are
reading - right there I switched from the old typewriter (talk about
goose-quill pen days!) to my word processor, which is now clicking
away so quietly and causing me so little effort that I don't think
I'll ever want to stop this sentence because - well, why should you
want to stop a sentence when you're really well launched into the
thing - the sentence, I mean - and it's so easy just to keep her
rolling right along and never stop since, anyhow, once you do stop,
you are going to have to start another sentence, right? - which means
coming up with another idea. [...]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 8 Feb 85 22:30:12-PST
From: Steven Tepper <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI Humor

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

I got the new memory for my brain and now I can read the Russell Baker
article and JMC's reply without a stack overflow (although response time
seems to be slower (I think that's because the garbage collection takes
longer (I should have thought of that first (but I didn't (does anyone have
a good on-the-fly garbage collection routine (one that will will run on a
normal two-hemisphere brain configuration (i.e. doesn't require any non-
standard lisp features (such as depending on the Interlisp spaghetti stack
(I think I'm going to recode my brain in Common Lisp (if a good
implementation becomes available (that's supposed to happen soon (at least
according to what I've heard)))))))))))).

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 85 14:02:45 pst
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@Navajo>
Subject: Stacks and Garbage Collection

         [Forwarded from the Stanford BBoard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Pop.

Marvin Minsky organized his public lectures that way.  The left parens
were silent and the right were omitted.  Occasionally he would
mutter "Where was I?  I seem to have overflowed my stack."  It was
widely speculated that this was just for show and that Marvin didn't
even own a stack.

Van Wijngaarden, the man who gave Algol 68 its unique flavor, appears
to be the first to propose seriously, somewhere around 1964, that
computers should exhibit this sort of behavior and never bother to pop
their stack.  One might assume that this would save the bother of
pushing the return address on the stack when calling another routine,
but no.  That stack had good stuff on it, or rather in it since you
were expected to use it more or less like any other chunk of memory, to
within the vagaries of how Algol organized access into the nether
reaches of the stack.  Return addresses were just parameters naming
procedures to call when you had an answer.  In the old regime you
called such a procedure by popping its address off the stack and
jumping to it.  In Van Wijngaarden's regime the address stayed on the
stack and your current PC was pushed on the stack as part of the
ordinary procedure call sequence, not only saving the return address
for posterity but contributing another.

Van Wijngaarden was thus an early right-to-lifer for return addresses
and anything else pushed on the stack.  His proposal was in the same
spirit as more recent proposals not to bother with garbage collection.
Users of Lisp machines who simply reboot as needed rather than endure
having the garbage collector turned on should have this man
enshrined somewhere on their stack (at each reboot, of course).

Other advocates of not garbage collecting include Charles Bennett, at
IBM Yorktown Heights, and Ed Fredkin, a colleague and friend of Marvin
Minsky who does digital physics at MIT.  Their interest in clinging to
worn-out information is that by so doing you can always reverse the
computation back to exactly where it started.  This is not because you
want to do this, but because the physicists promise that if you don't
throw it away you can get by with far less energy, a sort of
physicist's bottle bill.  One of the rules appears to be that you have
to settle for a nonzero probability that the computation will
unpredictably run backwards at some moment.  The energy you do consume
is expended on adjusting the probability that the computation will
proceed forwards more often than backwards; more energy improves the
odds and hence the speed of computation.

I have heard it whispered that DNA unzips itself on this principle; if
it were to unzip in such a way that it could not zip itself right back
up again it would fry.  I may of course be confusing this with a sermon
I heard.

Another reason for clinging to old...

Pop.

[...]

-v

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 85 11:23:57 est
From: Walter Hamscher <hamscher@mit-htvax>
Subject: Graduate Student Lunch

TIME: 12 Noon
DATE: Friday, Feb 15
PLACE: 8th Floor Playroom
HOSTS: Mark Tuttle and Sathya Narayanan
REFRESHMENTS: t

                PLAUSIBLE HAIRSTYLE GENERATION:
           THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF EURISKO, PART I

                       Blackstone Le Mot

As AI programs have been reported more widely in the popular
media, they have been called upon to perform tasks that have
heretofore gone unnoticed by AI researchers.  Proper hair care
is one of these tasks.  In this talk I will discuss the application
of EURISKO to developing healthy hair and attractive styling.
Remarkably enough, the program itself has modified itself
to represent characteristics of the domain, by developing
hair in its control structure and a significant bald spot
in its documentation.  But it looooks maaaahvelous!

------------------------------

Date: Thu 7 Feb 85 08:55:27-PST
From: Jay Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI Positions

Seems like the most popular of the AI positions today is MISSIONARY!

jay

------------------------------

Date: Thu 7 Feb 85 20:51:57-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: Cryptographic Humor

Gilles Brassard at Stanford mentioned on the bboard an improvement
on the one-time pad consisting of enciphering text by taking its
exclusive OR with itself.  ("We are still working on the decipherment.").

------------------------------

Date: Tue 5 Feb 85 14:33:25-PST
From: Tai Jin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Mathematical/Linguistic Humor

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

     [Does anyone know the source of this?  It's been around for
     a good many years.  -- KIL]

From net.jokes...

        To  prove  once  and  for  all  that math can be fun, we
present:  Wherein it is related  how  that  paragon  of  womanly
virtue,  young  Polly  Nomial  (our heroine) is accosted by that
notorious villain Curly Pi, and factored (oh horror!!!).

        Once  upon  a  time (1/t) pretty little Polly Nomial was
strolling across a field of vectors when she came to the boundary
of a singularly large matrix.  Now Polly was convergent, and her
mother had made it an absolute condition  that  she  must  never
enter  such  an  array without her brackets on.  Polly, however,
who had changed her  variables  that  morning  and  was  feeling
particularly  badly behaved, ignored this condition on the basis
that it was insufficient and made her way in amongst the complex
elements.   Rows  and  columns  closed in on her from all sides.
Tangents approached her surface.  She became tensor and  tensor.
Quite  suddendly  two  branches  of a hyperbola touched her at a
single point.  She  oscillated  violently,  lost  all  sense  of
directrix,  and  went  completely divergent.  She tripped over a
square root  that  was  protruding  from  the  erf  and  plunged
headlong down a steep gradient.  When she rounded off once more,
she found herself inverted, apparently alone, in a non-Euclidean
space.
        She was being watched, however.  That  smooth  operator,
Curly  Pi,  was lurking inner product.  As his eyes devoured her
curvilinear coordinates, a singular expression crossed his face.
He  wondered,  "Was  she  still  convergent?".   He  decided  to
integrate improperly at once.
        Hearing  a common fraction behind her, Polly rotated and
saw Curly Pi approaching with  his  power  series  extrapolated.
She  could  see  at once by his degenerate conic and dissipative
terms that he was bent on no good.
        "Arcsinh," she gasped.
        "Ho, ho," he said, "What a  symmetric  little  asymptote
you have.  I can see your angles have lots of secs."
        "Oh sir," she protested, "keep away from me.  I  haven't
got my brackets on."
        "Calm yourself, my dear," said our suave operator, "your
fears are purely imaginary."
        "I, I,"  she  thought,  "perhaps  he's  not  normal  but
homogeneous."
        "What order are you?" the brute demanded.
        "Seventeen," replied Polly.
        Curly leered.  "I suppose  you've  never  been  operated
on."
        "Of course not,"  Polly  replied  quite  properly,  "I'm
absolutely convergent."
        "Come, come," said Curly,  "let's off to a decimal place
I know and I'll take you to the limit."
        "Never," gasped Polly.
        "Abscissa,"  he  swore,  using  the vilest oath he knew.
His patience was gone.  Coshing her over the coefficient with  a
log  until she was powerless, Curly removed her discontinuities.
He stared at her significant places, and began smoothing out her
points  of  inflection.  Poor Polly.  The algorithmic method was
now her only hope.  She felt his hand tending to her  asymptotic
limit.  Her convergence would soon be gone forever.
        There was no mercy, for Curly was a heavyside  operator.
Curly's  radius  squared  itself;  Polly's  loci  quivered.   He
integrated by parts.  He integrated by partial fractions.  After
he  cofactored,  he  performed Runge-Kutta on her.  The complex
beast  even  went  all  the  way  around  and  did   a   contour
integration.   What  an indignity -- to be multiply connected on
her  first  integration!   Curly  went  on  operating  until  he
completely  satisfied  her hypothesis, then he exponentiated and
became completely orthogonal.
        When  Polly got home that night, her mother noticed that
she was no longer piecewise continuous, but had  been  truncated
in several places.  But it was to late to differentiate now.  As
the months went by, Polly's denominator increased monotonically.
Finally  she  went  to  L'Hopital  and  generated  a  small  but
pathological function which left surds all over  the  place  and
drove Polly to deviation.

        The  moral  of  our  sad story is this:  "If you want to
keep your expressions convergent,  never  allow  them  a  single
degree of freedom ...  "

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	COMSAT         20-FEB-1985 05:59  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a006642; 19 Feb 85 12:49 EST
Date: Sun 17 Feb 1985 11:39-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #22
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Wed, 20 Feb 85 05:50 EST

AIList Digest            Sunday, 17 Feb 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 22

Today's Topics:
  AI Tools - Lisp Workstation & Expert System Development Tools &
    XLISP 1.4 Source,
  Humor - Origin of "Impure Mathematics",
  Linguistics - Y'all and Youse,
  Seminars - Parallel Natural Language Processing (BBN) &
    Modeling Intuition in Problem Solving (UCB) &
    Partially Compiled Prolog Interpreters  (CSLI) &
    Learning in Modal Logic (CMU) &
    Beyond Bacon (CMU)
  Conference - Decision Support Systems
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri 15 Feb 85 13:58:45-PST
From: Rene Bach <[email-masked]>
Subject: Lisp workstation, request for info

We are looking into buying a CHEAP computer to run LISP in a reasonably
friendly environment. The constraints are that the machine should be
accessible remotely (through modems) and support networking.

We would also like the machine to support more than one user (but
certainly less than five). It should run a LISP close to Franz, Zeta
or Common Lisp (with hooks for remote file access !), EMACS should
be available for it.

We are looking into micro-vax and tektronix (I still have to check
on some of the constraints satisfaction of those). Price
range <~ 20,000 $.

We are aware of the NIL+micro-vax combination.

Is there anything else worth knowing about ???
Thank you for any suggestion
Reply to BACH@score.
Rene

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 85 18:27:56 est
From: [email-masked] (Phill Gross)
Subject: Expert System Dev. Tools Info Request

Several months ago, there was some discussion in the list about expert
system development packages.  There were also some information requests
(eg, ehrler%cod@nosc) but I don't recall any follow-ups posted.  I'm
now at the point of wanting to purchase one of these packages and have
been compiling a survey list of candidate packages.  I would like to
solicit information/comments about the packages listed below.  I will
summarize and post the results of any information I get.  I'll fertilize
the discussion with an initial list of information I've found so far.
What I'm really interested in is user comments on ease of use, capabilities,
how fast to get "up the curve", etc.  Again, I will summarize all information
I receive.

Phill Gross

Note: All comments in quotes below were taken from promotional material,
all comments within square brackets represent incomplete info.

                Large or Special Purpose Machines

        Vendor                    Machines/
Package (Contact Info)          HW Environment   Price  Comments

ART     Inference Corp.         [runs on
        5300 W.Century Blvd.     Symbolics]
        Los Angeles, CA 90045
        213-417-7997

DUCK    Smart Systems Tech.     "works within           Runs under Zetalisp
        6870 Elm Street          Lisp environ-          on Symbolics,Franz on
        McLean, VA 22101         ment"                  Vaxen (Unix or VMS),
        703-448-8562                                    T lisp on Appollo,
                                                        soon Common Lisp

K:Base  Gold Hill Computers     "Symbolics 3600         [Provides networking]
        163 Harvard Street        family"
        Cambridge, MA 02139
        617-492-2071

KEE     IntelliCorp             Need AI machine  $60K
        707 Laurel St.          (eg, Symbolics)
        Menlo Park, CA
        94025
        415-853-5540 or
        415-323-8300

LOOPS   [Xerox]                 [Xerox machines]        [unsupported but
                                                         provided by Xerox
                                                         for the cost of
                                                         distribution]

OPS5    DEC                     Vaxen                   "can call or be called
                                                         by routines .. in any
                                                         VAX language"

SRL     [Carnegie Group]        [Symbolics]      $70K

S1      Teknowledge, Inc.       Xerox 1100/1108, $50K   Includes 2 week course
        525 University Ave.     soon VAX/VMS
        Palo Alto, CA 94301
        415-327-6600

TIMM    General Research Corp.  "Most computers
        7655 Old                 and AI machines"
            Springhouse Road
        McLean, VA 22102
        703-893-5915

=============================================================================
                        Personal Computers

        Vendor                    Machines/
Package (Contact Info)          HW Environment   Price  Comments

Expert- J. Perrone &            IBM PC or XT,    $2K    2 disks advisable
Ease     Associates, Inc.       some
        3685 17th Street        "compatibles"
        San Francisco, CA
        94114
        415-431-9562

K:Base  Gold Hill Computers     IBM PC's         [<$5K] [Provides networking]
        163 Harvard Street
        Cambridge, MA 02139
        617-492-2071

M1      Teknowledge, Inc.       IBM PC          $12.5   Includes 4 day course,
        525 University Ave.                             Color recomended,
        Palo Alto, CA 94301                             PC-DOS or MS-DOS
        415-327-6600

Personal     Texas Instruments  "Widespread             Includes 3 day course,
Consultant   P.O. Box 809063     personal               runs under MS-DOS,
             Dallas, TX 75380    computers",            allows 400 rules
             1-800-527-3500     TI Professional

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 85 15:10:33 EST
From: [email-masked] (Dan Winkler)
Subject: XLISP 1.4 Source Available

Source, documentation and compiled Macintosh versions of XLISP 1.4 are
available by anonymous ftp login at Harvard.  It's all in a subdirectory
named pub.  The author of xlisp, David Betz, logs in here as betz@harvard.
Feel free to send him mail if you have questions or comments.

Dan. (winkler@harvard)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 85 11:22:57 EST
From: Paul Broome <[email-masked]>
Subject: Origin of "Impure Mathematics"

In answer to your query in AIList V3 #21 I'm sending you a note I found
on net.jokes.d on USENET.

-paul

From seismo!harvard!talcott!panda!genrad!decvax!decwrl!sun!idi!pesnta!lsuc!msb
From: [email-masked] (Mark Brader)
Subject: Re: "The Adventures of Poly Nomial"
Date: 5 Feb 85 07:02:25 GMT
Summary: Credit and correct title

This little gem previously appeared in the Journal of Irreproducible
Results.  I don't know what issue; I have it in a Best of the JIR
collection.  The real title is "Impure Mathematics".  No author is given
in the normal style, but it is marked as "submitted by" Richard A. Gibbs.

Subscriptions to the JIR are now $4.50, $6.50 outside
the USA, for 4 issues = 4/5 year, from Box 234, Chicago Heights, IL 60411.

{ allegra | decvax | duke | ihnp4 | linus | watmath | ... } !utzoo!lsuc!msb
Mark Brader        also via amd!pesnta!lsuc!msb, uw-beaver!utcsrgv!lsuc!msb
                        (From February 14, utcsrgv will be utcsri)

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 12-Feb-85 12:03:01-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Y'all and Youse

In a recent discussion on the  plural of `you', I believe that someone
said that `youse'  was not part of the English language. Yesterday  on
the bus, I heard a 12-year-old say to her friend ` I'll see youse later'.
Nuff said.

Gordon Joly
gcj@edxa

[Edxa is at Edinburgh. -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 8 Feb 1985 14:58-EST
From: Brad Goodman <BGOODMAN at BBNG>
Subject: Seminar - Parallel Natural Language Processing (BBN)

        [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

           BBN Laboratories SDP AI Seminar Series

       Massively Parallel Natural Language Processing

           Professor David L. Waltz

               Thinking Machines
                      and
              Brandeis University

Date:  Tuesday,  February 19, 1985
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Place: Newman Auditorium
       BBN Laboratories Inc.
       70 Fawcett Street
       Cambridge, Ma.

This talk will describe research in developing a natural language
processing system with modular knowledge sources but strongly
interactive processing.  The system offers insights into a variety of
linguistic phenomena and allows easy testing of a variety of hypotheses.
Language interpretation takes place on an activation network which is
dynamically created from input, recent context, and long-term knowledge.
Initially ambiguous and unstable, the network settles on a single
interpretation, using a parallel, analog relaxation process.  The talk
will also describe a parallel model for the representation of context
and of the priming of concepts.  Examples illustrating contextual
influence on meaning interpretation and "semantic garden path" sentence
processing, along with a discussion of the building and implementation
of a large scale system for new generation parallel computers are
included.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 85 15:53:16 pst
From: hardyck%ucbcogsci@Berkeley (Curtis Hardyck)
Subject: Seminar - Modeling Intuition in Problem Solving (UCB)

             Speaker: Paul Smolensky, Institute for Cognitive Science
                                      University of California, San Diego

            Title:  A FORMAL FRAMEWORK FOR MODELLING INTITUTION IN
                    PROBLEM SOLVING

            Thursday, Feb 21 at 1 pm, room 2515 Tolman Hall, Berkeley

The following hypotheses will be elaborated and analyzed:

   Experts' intuitions derive from their specially developed perceptions
   of the problem domain;

   The perceptual processor solves the problem's simultaneous constraints
   literally in parallel;

   The level at which processing is governed by formal laws involves
   small units of knowledge, not elaborate "rules" or symbolic structure;

   These formal laws involve numerical, not symbolic, variables and
   operations.

I will discuss the motivation for these hypotheses, the presumed roles of
intutition and rule interpretation in problem solving, and implications for
instruction.

Then I will describe how the hypotheses lead to a principled formal framework
for modelling intuition.  This framework is derived from probability theory
and exploits a formal isomorphism with statistical (thermal) physics.  Three
theories will be described that give a formal competence model, a realization
in a parallel processor, and a learning procedure through which the processor
acquires its knowledge.  These theorems are part of an effort to develop a
new theory of computation describing massively parallel systems.

An application of the framework to simple quantitative problems in
electricity will be described.  Concepts and techniques from
statistical physics guide analysis of the processing.

                                        -- Steve Palmer

------------------------------

Date: Wed 13 Feb 85 17:25:56-PST
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Partially Compiled Prolog Interpreters  (CSLI)

         [Exercpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                        SUMMARY OF AREA C MEETING
                  ``The Compilation of Prolog Programs
                 Without the Use of a Prolog Compiler''
                          Ken Kahn, Xerox PARC

      An efficient Prolog interpreter written in Lisp was presented. The
   interpreter was then specialized to run different Prolog predicates.
   These specializations are generated automatically by a partial
   evaluator for Lisp programs called Partial Lisp. It transforms Lisp
   programs to other Lisp programs and knows nothing about Prolog. It was
   argued that the partial evaluation of interpreters can be a substitute
   for compilation. The results of partially evaluating the Prolog
   interpreter for simple Prolog predicates were presented. The speed of
   the specialized interpreters has been found to be about ten times
   faster than ordinary interpretation. These speeds compare favorably
   with an optimizing compiler for the same Prolog dialect and computer
   system. The advantages of using partial evaluation upon an interpreter
   include a much smaller and easily modifiable implementation. The major
   difficulty in generating thousands of small specialized interpreters
   is that it currently takes about two orders of magnitude more time
   than compilation. Different approaches to reducing partial evaluation
   time were presented. The possibilities of specializing the interpreter
   for different uses of the same Prolog predicate were discussed.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 1985 1044-EST
From: Jon Doyle <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Learning in Modal Logic (CMU)

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                AI Seminar, Feb. 19, 3:30 PM, WeH 5409

      CALM : A Contestative Apprenticeship System in Modal Logic

                  Jean Sallantin and Joel Quinqueton

      Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Montpellier, France

    We present a formal approach to Learning as a process in a
non-distributive Modal Logic. We illustrate it by considerations about
the results of our work on SEQUOIA, a Learning Machine for decoding
Genetic Sequences.

Contact Jon Doyle (x3739) for appointments or more information.

------------------------------

Date: 15 February 1985 1215-EST
From: Cathy Hill@CMU-CS-A
Subject: Seminar - Beyond Bacon (CMU)

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Speaker:  Professor Herbert Simon
Title:    "Beyond Bacon"
Date:     February 19, 1985
Time:     12:00 noon - 1:30 p.m.
Place:    Adamson Wing, 1st Floor, Baker Hall

Abastract:  BACON is a data-driven program for discovering
            regularities (laws) in data.  It attempts to
            simulate one aspect of scientific discovery.
            Other aspects include theory-driven discovery,
            choosing research problems, and designing
            instruments.  The seminar will discuss progress
            that has been made in characterizing programs to
            do these latter kinds of tasks.

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 12 Feb 1985 08:22:51-PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - Decision Support Systems

            C O N F E R E N C E   A N N O U N C E M E N T

The  Fifth  Annual  Conference on Decision Support Systems (DSS) will be
held  from  April  1  through April 4 in San Francisco. The goal of this
conference, like its predecessors, is to provide a forum for researchers
and  practitioners  to present and discuss their most recent experiences
and  ideas  about  decision  support  systems  and  their  use in making
organizations and individuals successful.

The  conference  is  sponsored  by  the Institute for the Advancement of
Decision Support Systems in cooperation with the Institute of Management
Sciences and its College on Information Systems.

The program is a series of six tracks:

            . Introduction to DSS and DSS Tools (tutorial)
            . DSS Futures
            . Expert and Knowledge Based Systems
            . DSS Methodologies
            . DSS in Practice
            . DSS Products and Services

                         Conference Committee

Chairman                       Program Chairman    Proceedings Editor

  Dr. Robert Zmud                Dr. Robert Reck     Dr. Joyce Elam
  University of North Carolina   Index Systems       University of Texas

For information, please contact:  Ms. Julie Eldridge
                                  DSS'85
                                  Third Floor
                                  290 Westminster Street
                                  Providence  RI  02903
                                  (401) 274-0801

                                        Mark Turner
                                        Digital Equipment Corporation

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI          21-FEB-1985 01:01  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a007665; 19 Feb 85 15:48 EST
Date: Tue 19 Feb 1985 09:37-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #23
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Thu, 21 Feb 85 00:47 EST

AIList Digest            Tuesday, 19 Feb 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 23

Today's Topics:
  AI Tools - PC LISPs & Flavors,
  Humor - Polly Nomial,
  Information Science - Webster & Xerox Notecards,
  Literature - Recent Articles & University of Rochester Reports,
  Seminars - Mental Models (UCB) &
    Natural Concurrent Grammar (Weitzmann),
  Conference - AI in Engineering,
  Program Descriptions - Postdocs at NPRDC-UCSD & AI Research at UCLA
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 85 07:39:32 EST (Mon)
From: johnson <johnson@udel-dewey>
Subject: info request pc lisps

I am looking for experiences, comparisons, and evaluations of any
lisp available on PC+compatibles.  I am particularly interested in:

TLC [The Lisp Company] Lisp
  vs
GC Lisp
  vs
IQ Lisp
  vs
muLisp.

I am familiar with franz, interlisp, and muLisp - so any comparisons
versus these breeds of lisp would be particularly useful to me.

I am more concerned with efficiency than adherence to standards,
in particular :

1. how long does this take in (X)_lisp:

        ; use any interation method provided by X
        ; AVOID recursion if possible

   (do-2000-times (cond (T)))

2. how long does this take:

   ; after : (setq z nil)

   (do-2000-times (setq z (cons T z)))

3. Is there a way to remove objects from the object list?

4. Is there an interface to assembly language modules?
   (can lisp call machine-lang functions?)

5. How long does it take for (X)Lisp to load and give its first prompt.

[please include a hardware description for sake of comparison]
(eg: 256k IBMXT, PCDOS 2.00, running (X)lisp from fixed disk)

6. Price of (X)lisp and any licensing charges.

please send response directly to me, I will (net-mail) results to
anyone who asks [but wait a few days before asking, ok?]

-thanks in advance.
johnson@udel-ee

 ...  Share a little joke with the World  |-> ...

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 19-Feb-85 12:20:12-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Flavors

I have come across the term `flavors' several times but still have no
idea what it means. Please could someone explain?

Thanks,
Gordon Joly
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 85 13:27:30 cst
From: "Duncan A. Buell" <[email-masked]>
Subject: polly nomial

This was printed in a slightly different form (the version from the
network has some updates that actually make it a little better in
my mind) in Scope: Journal of the Federation of University
Astronomical Societies about fifteen years ago.  That, at least, is
where I got my copy.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 85 20:02:11 est
From: [email-masked] (Dave Curry [decvax!pur-ee!davy -or-
      davy@purdue-ecn])
Subject: Webster

Regarding the copy of Webster's dictionary on SRI-NIC.  I have written
a program for 4.2BSD UNIX which contacts the server on SRI-NIC and
enables the user to "converse" with the dictionary.  The source for
this program is available via anonymous FTP from PURDUE-ECN in the
directory "pub/webster". Please note that we have a "part-time" ARPAnet
connection, i.e., we run thrugh the computer center, which has rather
strange hours:

   M-F: 8:30am - midnight   Sat: noon - 5:00pm   Sun: noon - midnight

or something like that.  All times are Eastern. The source is also
available in WEB:WEBSTER.C from SRI-NIC, however, this is an old copy of
the source (with a couple of minor bugs), so don't grab it unless you
can't get to us (it should be updated soon).

Also, for you TOPS-20/Tenex folks, there's a Midas source in the file
WEB:WEBSTER.MID (executable is WEB:WEBSTER.EXE) on SRI-NIC (I know
nothing about this one, I just mention it to be complete). As far as I
know from conversing with the folks in charge of this thing, these are
the only two programs available for dealing with Webster.  If you have
one for another operating system, send a note to IAN@SRI-NIC. He is
collecting the sources.

--Dave Curry
davy@purdue-ecn

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 85 15:54 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Xerox Notecards

The Xerox notecards system is presently being licenced to Xerox
1100/1108/1132 customers as a part of special Xerox applications
development programs.

The Xerox notecards system is not a supported product at this time
although discussions are proceeding within the Corporation regarding
that possibility.

Further information can be obtained by messaging me.

Pete Fisher (fisher.pasa@Xerox)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 85 04:52:03 cst
From: Laurence Leff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Recent Articles

IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
January 1985 Volume PAMI-7 Number 1

Parallel Algorithms for Syllable Recognition in Continuous Speech
page 56-69

An Evaluation Based Theorem Prover page 70-79
A mechanical theorem prover applied to proving theorems about programs.

A New Heuristic Search Technique - Algorithm SA page 103-107
A Search Technique based on a statistical sampling technique

Inforworld February 11, 1985 page 13
Lotus Edges into AI
Lotus signed a 1 million dollar venture financing agreement with
Arity computer.  The software, promised for late 1985, will be
an integrated business productivity tool for IBM PC's.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 85 16:01:59 cst
From: Laurence Leff <[email-masked]>
Subject: University of Rochester Reports

The University of Rochester
Technical Report List

TR132 Gacs, P "Reliable computation with cellular automata" $2.25

Construction of one-dimensional array of cellular automata which is
self-repairing

TR133 Ballard, D. H. "Cortical connections: Structure and Function" $1.50

TR141 Allen, J. F and D. J. Litman "A plan recognition model for
subdialogues in conversations" $1.50

TR143 D. C. Plaut "Visual recognition of simple objects by a connection
network" $1.25

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 85 09:11:35 pst
From: kuhn%ucbcogsci@Berkeley (Elisabeth Kuhn)
Subject: Seminar - Mental Models (UCB)

BERKELEY COGNITIVE SCIENCE PROGRAM
Spring  1985
Cognitive Science Seminar -- IDS 237B

TIME:                Tuesday, February 19, 11:30 - 12:30
(Please note that the talk starts at 11:30 this week)
PLACE:               240 Bechtel Engineering Center
DISCUSSION:          12:30 - 2 in 200 Building T-4

Philip Johnson-Laird, Visiting Professor at Stanford - from MRC
Applied Psychology Unit, Cambridge

``Mental Models''

The aim of this talk is to explore the hypothesis that a major class
of mental representations take the form of models of the world.
Such models contrast with propositional representations, i.e.
syntactically structured strings of symbols in a mental language,
because models are assumed to make explicit the perceived or conceived
relations between things in the world. The explanatory value of models
will be illustrated in three areas: reasoning, comprehension, and
the representation of discourse.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 85 11:42:19 -0200
From: [email-masked]  (scheff chaim)
Subject: Seminar - Natural Concurrent Grammar (Weitzmann)

   The Weitzmann Institute of Science - Rehovot, Israel

    Seminar in Applied Mathematics and Computer Science

                    Chaim-Meyer Scheff
will speak on

"Alternatives in Artificial Intelligence: Natural Concurrent Grammar".

The talk will take place on Wednesday, February 27, 1985 in the Feinberg
Building, Room C, at 9:00.

Natural grammer, based on the independent work of Vygotsky and Bitner,
suggest the feasibility of flow through parsing schemes for natural
language; and further suggest applications for seemingly ambiguous
natural language in the programming environment.
Vygotsky grammar removes the structural constraints of transformational
grammar. While Bitner grammar gives formal structure to the otherwise
nondeterministic ambiguity problem.
Further analysis, based on the grammar of American Sign Language, would
replace Bitner's sequential based ambiguity marker set with a set of
vector space markers of generalized function; thereby allowing for viable
models of concurrent cognitive processes; such as those which minimize
transaction flux in Mapless Networks.

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 18 February 1985 05:49:16 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference - AI in Engineering

                      CALL FOR PAPERS

     FIRST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON APPLICATIONS OF
      ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE TO ENGINEERING PROBLEMS
                        (AIEP)

The  purpose  of  this  conference is to provide a forum for
engineers all over the world to present their  work  on  the
applications   of  artificial  intelligence  to  engineering
problems.  The conference will be held from April 15-18 1986
at Southampton University, England and will be preceeded  by
tutorials in Expert systems and Robotics.

CONFERENCE THEMES

The  following  topics are suggested and other related areas
will be considered.

   - Computer-aided design
   - Computer-based training
   - Planning and Scheduling
   - Constraint Management
   - Intelligent Tutors
   - Expert systems
   - Knowledge representation
   - Learning
   - Natural language applications
   - Cognitive modelling of engineering problems
   - Robotics
   - Database interfaces
   - Graphical interfaces
   - Knowledge-based simulation
   - Design Modelling

CALL FOR PAPERS

Authors are invited to submit three copies  of  a  500  word
abstract.  The abstract should have enough details to permit
careful evaluation by  a  committee  consisting  of  renowed
experts  in  the  field. The abstracts should be accompained
with the following details:

   - Authors' address, name, affliation.  Indicate  the
     person to address all correspondence.
   - The  branch of engineering. If the paper addresses
     engineering in general, then should be categorized
     under GENERAL DESIGN.
   - The topic area.

TIME TABLE

Submission of Abstracts:  June 1st 1985

Notification of acceptance: August 1st 1985

Submission of Full Paper: November 1st 1985

INFORMATION

All abstracts should be sent to:
          Dr. R. Adey, General  Chairman, AIEP
          Computational Mechanics Centre
          Ashurst Lodge
          Southampton S04 2AA
          England

Inquires about exhibits, registration  should  be  addressed
to:
          Ms Elaine Taylor
          Computational Mechanics Centre
          Ashurst Lodge
          Southampton S04 2AA
          England

For more information in US contact:
          D. Sriram, Technical Chairman  AIEP
          Civil Engineering and Construction Robotics
                                Laboratories
          Department of Civil Engineering
          Carnegie-Mellon University
          Pittsburgh, PA 15213
          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 13 February 1985, 10:07-PST
From: Jim Hollan <hollan@nprdc>
Subject: Postdocs

        This note is to announce the formation of a new collaborative
research group: the NPRDC-UCSD Intelligent Systems Group (ISG).  ISG is
concerned with addressing basic research questions involving intelligent
graphical interfaces, computational accounts of cognition, knowledge
representation, human machine interaction, and elicitation of expert
knowledge.  The group has excellent computational facilities.  Currently
this includes four Symbolics lisp machines, two Xerox Dandy-Tigers, a Xerox
Dorado, and arpanet access via central Vax computers.  The Institute for
Cognitive Science, of which ISG is a member, has a network of 15 SUN
workstations and a Vax.

        A number of post-doctoral fellowships are available for recent
cognitive science or artificial intelligence PhDs.  Fellowships are for
two-years with an option of a third year.  Stipend is approximately
30K/year with an additional allowance of 6K for relocation and
professional travel.  The postdoctoral fellowships come from ONR (Office
of Naval Research).  Fellows will work in ISG on the UCSD campus.
Interested applicants should communicate with James D. Hollan or Donald
A. Norman, Intelligent Systems Group; Institute for Cognitive Science
C-015; University of California, San Diego; La Jolla, CA 92093.  Arpanet
addresses:  hollan@nprdc or norman@nprdc.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 85 06:28:35 PST
From: Judea Pearl <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI Research at UCLA

                       [Edited by Laws@SRI-AI.]

The UCLA Computer Science Department is actively researching in all areas
of  Artificial  Intelligence,  with  increasing interest in:  robotics &
vision, learning &  memory,  qualitative  reasoning  &  expert  systems,
planning and automatic programming.

Current  AI  research  at  UCLA is most focussed in the areas of natural
language processing,  cognitive  modeling,  the analysis  of
heuristics  and evidential reasoning. Projects include editorial
comprehension, story invention, legal reasoning, intelligent tutoring,
learning  through  planning, discovery of heuristics, and distributed
inferencing.

Facilities  for  AI research at UCLA consist of a ring network of Apollo
workstations,  which comprises  one  of  the  largest Apollo
installation sites in Southern California.  Each Apollo workstation
consists  of 1.5-4 Mbyte main memory, multi-processing operating
system with multi-windowing, font editing, and SIGGRAPH  Core
graphics  primitives.  Networking is built into each workstation.

Our AI tools environment, called GATE (Graphical AI Tools  Environment),
is  built  on top of T, a lexically-scoped, Scheme-based dialect of Lisp
developed at Yale University.  T, designed for efficient  implementation
and    execution,    incorporates    object-oriented   programing   with
message-passing semantics as its most  fundamental  language  construct.
GATE  includes  a  number  of interacting packages:  Flavors, DELON -- a
language for specifying demons and traps, WEBs -- a  slot-filler  system
for   specifying   semantic  memories  represented  by  graphical  icons
connected by rubberband links, and TLOG -- a logic programming
system which allows both Prolog and T style syntax.

In addition to the Apollos,  the CS department maintains a network of 20
Vaxes, which communicate with the Apollo ring via an ethernet gateway.

For more information contact:

 Prof.  Judea Pearl,
 4731E Boelter hall, UCLA,  Los Angeles,  CA  90024
    ([email-masked])

 Prof.  Michael Dyer,
 3532 Boelter Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024
 ([email-masked]).

 Prof. Margot Flowers
 3532 Boelter Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024
 ([email-masked])

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	COMSAT         22-FEB-1985 05:22  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a022204; 21 Feb 85 15:18 EST
Date: Thu 21 Feb 1985 10:47-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #24
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 22 Feb 85 05:15 EST

AIList Digest           Thursday, 21 Feb 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 24

Today's Topics:
  Request - Seminar Tapes,
  Functional and Logic Programming,
  Correction - Bertrand Constraint Language,
  Seminars - Inductive Theorem Proving in Prolog (GE) &
    Knowledge-Based Software Development (SU) &
    Cooperation Among Intelligent Agents (SU) &
    Programming in Concurrent Prolog (CMU) &
    Self-Organizing Retrieval for Graphs (UT)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 85 20:46:40 cst
From: Raj Doshi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Slightly Depressed....

I always see notices on the AIList digest about fantastic seminars
all over the  country  (especially at BBN, Stanford, etc.)  and get
depressed because :

   (1) I can't attend them,
   (2) The transcript/recording is never published, nor accessible
   (3) So there is no way for an interested person to learn.

I was wondering if somebody/anybody/any organization {BBN/or  any
university  libraries (Stanford libraries)} would keep recordings
on tape/cassette ??.

   (1) Either record any & all public seminars advertised over the net
       (Tapes/Video ?).
   (2) Or, if some number of people show interest (say 50) within a
       specified period of time (2 weeks?)  of the first (or last)
       time of announcement (on AIList Digest?) then, record the
       requested seminar.
   (3) Charge some reasonable fee for it (please keep the poor
       grad-student in mind; Tapes for grads; Videotapes for industry folks).

I think I should probably be writing this to the  respective  ad-
mintrative departments and/or to the Librarians.

But, I think :

   [1] I don't have the time to write to these administrative
       departments.
   [2] I don't even have the names of the persons who might be able to
       make these (expensive) decisions.
   [3] I don't have any clout; It will take more than one person to
       voice the need.

Do the Stanford or BBN librarians read this AIList digest??  Can
somebody send this messsage over to a net where this message will
be read by administrators and/or librarians ??

Does anybody else feel so deprived ??

Any other Issues or Ideas or Pros or Cons or Problems ??

--Raj Doshi
  Graduate Student,
  University of Minnesota
  csnet: doshi.umn-cs@csnet-relay

[While seminars are rarely recorded, they usually spring from or lead
to a conference paper or dissertation.  Sending a message to the author
(perhaps via the seminar host) will often get you some interesting
pre/reprints or literature citations.

I don't know whether administrators respond to net messages, but you
can often get a lead on the proper address for an administrative
request by writing to "postmaster" at any site.  The various postmasters
have been a great help to me in distributing the AIList.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 7 Feb 85 11:09:03-PST
From: Joseph A. Goguen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Functional and Logic Programming  (long message)

          [Forwarded from the Prolog Digest by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Here's a little more for those who have been eagerly
following recent discussions in the Digest about the
relationship between logic and functional programming.
This appears to be a very exciting field just now, with
a rapidly expanding literature, much of it not yet even
published.  First, I want to add some bits of information
to the very helpful classification that Reddy recently
sketched for the Digest.  Barbutti, Belia, Levi and their
gang in Pisa, Italy may have been the first workers in
this field, with papers going back to the late 70s; their
latest work is on embedding logic programming into
functional programming.  Drosten and Ehrich from Braunschweig,
Germany have recently given a fully rigorous translation from
algebraic specifications to logic programs.  There are several
functional languages that use unification or narrowing.
Qute by Sato (of Tokyo, Japan) really is cute, and is notable
for its higher order functions.  Fribourg in France has done
some really elegant work; and so has Kanamori in Japan; and
Dershowitz and Plaisted are thinking along similar lines at
Illinois; all of these have some interesting ideas about how
to make things more efficient.  I also like the work of Haridi
and Tarnlund (Uppsala, Sweden), Lindstrom at Utah (in the
latest POPL), and of course the LOGLISP system of Alan Robinson
at Syracuse.

Uday Reddy was kind enough to send me copies of the unpublished
papers that he mentioned in a recent Digest.  I enjoyed reading
them, especially his ideas on how to control control.  Reddy's
approach views logic programs as functional programs by viewing
predicates as functions.  Unfortunately, his approach is
constructor-based, so you can't give Append an associative syntax
(with which you could write things like [1,2] [3,4] [5,6] to append
three lists (using an "empty" infix syntax).  Also, as Reddy notes,
his approach cannot treat all logic programs as functional programs
without somehow extending the basic framework, for example with ad
hoc mechanisms to support set-valued functions.  This seems an
interesting area for further research.

Our Eqlog system (see vol.1, No.2, Logic Programming Jnl.) is
misleadingly characterized in Reddy's papers and Prolog Digest
note, and also in Lindstrom's paper and Malachi's Digest note on
Tablog.  Eqlog has an equational sublanguage with logical variables,
and uses narrowing to solve equations for values of the logical
variables (this sublanguage has the syntax of OBJ2, for which see
POPL85).  However, Eqlog is not purely functional, or even
"equational"; it is a logic programming language, whose logic is
first order Horn clause logic *with equality*.  Since this equality
is real *semantic* equality (as opposed to Prolog's syntactic
equality), i.e., it is interpreted as *identity* in models, and the
logic of this equality is the usual equational logic; this is what
gives the semantics of the equational sublanguage.  However, Eqlog
also allows real predicates; its Horn clauses can have both
predicates and equations in their heads and tails.  The operational
semantics of Eqlog integrates unification with term rewriting; the
result is that Prolog-like clauses (without real equality) are
solved in the usual way with standard unification, while terms are
automatically simplified by term rewriting, and narrowing is used
to solve equations for the values of logical variables, which can
yield "partially resolved expressions".  A fair-interleaving
version of the usual Prolog-like backtracking not only takes
care of predicates, but also handles conditional equations
correctly, both forsimplification and for solving; thus, a number
of computational methods appear as special cases.  Also, it avoids
the infinite descents that can cause non-termination in Prolog.
This is not just universal unification.  It is perhaps worth
emphasizing that these features are not just hacked together, but
are the natural outcome of taking Horn clause logic with equality
as the semantic basis: interleaved unification and rewriting then
give the right operational semantics.

Termination plus confluence of the equations viewed as rewrite
rules is a sufficient conditition for completeness of narrowing.
Since equational goals can contain logical variables, this gives
a powerful "constraint language like" facility for solving over
user defined data abstractions.  Our operational semantics (fair
interleaving of unification and rewriting) seems to work reasonably
even without the termination condition; but we no longer have a
*theorem* that guarantees completeness.  It would be nice to have a
formal semantics for the non-terminating case, including infinite
(lazy) data structures, but of course equality (in the theory) of
terms won't generally be decidable in such a scheme.  Moreover,
some pretty hard math is needed to do it right.  So it is very
comforting that we understand the case where the rewrite rules
terminate, even though it's not the end of the story.  My objection
to Tablog is just that it is not complete.  Without a completeness
theorem, the programmer has no idea which programs are going to
terminate and which are not.  This seems like another interesting
area for further research.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that when you program
for a  parallel machine, you should probably give preference
to straight term rewriting over unification and narrowing,
since no general implementation of unification can really
exploit the parallelism (by a theorem of Dwork, Kanellakis
& Mitchell, and also Yasuura).

Finally, I would like to mention that if anyone out there
is really turned on by this sort of thing [...], we
would really like to hear from you.

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 19 Feb 85 14:31:30 PST
From: wm@tekchips
Subject: Correction - Bertrand Constraint Language

The seminar on the Bertrand constraint language at the
Oregon Graduate Center will begin at 3:00 pm, not 3:30
as announced in the AIList digest.

Wm Leler

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 85 09:12:08 EST
From: coopercc@GE-CRD
Subject: Seminar - Inductive Theorem Proving in Prolog (GE)

                    Computer  Science Seminar
                General  Electric  R & D  Center
                       Schenectady, N. Y.

               Inductive Theorem Proving in Prolog

                        Prof. Jieh Hsiang
                      SUNY at Stoney Brook

                      Tuesday, February 26
                1:30 PM, Building K1, Conf. Rm. 3
                     (Refreshments at 1:15)

     ABSTRACT: Prolog is a logic programming language  based
     on  theorem  proving techniques such as unification and
     resolution. It has gained  considerable  popularity  in
     recent years as an alternative approach to programming.

     In this talk we introduce the use of Prolog as a deduc-
     tive  theorem  prover  for  the  first  order inductive
     theory.  In addition to the backward chaining and back-
     tracking  facilities  of Prolog, we introduce three new
     mechanisms -- Skolemization by need, suspended  evalua-
     tion,  and  limited  forward chaining.  The features of
     the method include the ability to automatically  parti-
     tion the domain of variables according to the manner in
     which the predicate symbols are defined, and  automatic
     generation  of  lemmas  (or inductive hypothesis) under
     which the proposition is true.  The  method  also  does
     not explicitly employ any inductive inference rule.

     These new mechanisms are simple  enough  to  be  imple-
     mented  in  Prolog  without  too  much difficulty.  The
     theorem prover has been used in the verification  phase
     of  a  Prolog  environment  for  developing  data types
     currently being developed at Stony Brook.

     Notice to Non-GE attendees:
     It is necessary that we ask you to notify Marion  White
     (518-385-8370  or  WHITEMM@GE-CRD) at least two days in
     advance of the seminar.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Feb 85 00:05:00-PST
From: Gio Wiederhold <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Knowledge-Based Software Development (SU)

         [Forwarded from the Stanford BBoard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

CS 300  --  Computer Science Department Colloquium  --  Winter 1984-1985.
Our eigth meeting will be on Februray 26th, 4:15 in Terman Auditorium:

                  KNOWLEDGE BASED SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT IN FSD

                                      by

                               Dr. Robert BALZER
                     USC  Information Sciences Institute

Our  group  is  pursuing  the  goal of an automation based software development
paradigm.  While this goal is  still  distant,  we have  embedded  our current
perceptions   and  capabilities  in  a  prototype  (FSD)  of  such  a  software
development environment.   Although this prototype  was  built  primarily  as a
testbed  for our ideas,  we decided to gain insight by using it, and have added
some administrative services to expand  it  from  a  programming  system  to  a
computing  environment  currently  being  used by a few ISI researchers for all
their computing activities.  This "AI operating System" provides  specification
capabilities  for  Search,  Coordination, Automation, Evolution, and Inter-User
Interaction.

Particularly important is evolution, as we recognize that  useful  systems  can
only  arise,  and  remain  viable,  through  continued  evolution.  Much of our
research is focused on  this  issue  and  several  examples  will  be  used  to
characterize  where  we  are today and where we are headed.  Naturally, we have
started to use these facilities to evolve our system itself.
( After the presentation Bob will show a Video tape in )
(  the Auditorium to show all that, and how it works.  )
------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Feb 85 11:19:46-PST
From: Carol Wright <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Cooperation Among Intelligent Agents (SU)

 [Forwarded from the Stanford SIGLUNCH distribution by Laws@SRI-AI.]

DATE:            Friday, February 22, 1985
LOCATION:        Chemistry Gazebo, between Physical & Organic Chemistry
TIME:            12:05

SPEAKER:         Jeffrey S. Rosenschein
                 Stanford University

TITLE:           Rational Interaction:  Cooperation among Intelligent
                 Agents

The development of intelligent agents presents opportunities to
exploit intelligent cooperation.  Before this can occur, however, a
framework must be built for reasoning about interactions.  This work
describes such a framework, and explores strategies of interaction
among intelligent agents.

The formalism that has been developed removes some serious
restrictions that underlie previous research in distributed artificial
intelligence, particularly the assumption that the interacting agents
have identical or non-conflicting goals.  The formalism allows each
agent to make various assumptions about both the goals and the
rationality of other agents.  In addition, it allows the modeling of
restrictions on communication and the modeling of binding promises
among agents.

This talk describes work done in conjunction with Matthew L. Ginsberg
and Michael R. Genesereth.

------------------------------

Date: 19 February 1985 1134-EST
From: Staci Quackenbush@CMU-CS-A
Subject: Seminar - Programming in Concurrent Prolog (CMU)

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

        Name:   Vijay Saraswat

        Date:   Friday, February 22
        Time:   3:30 - 4:30
        Place:  WeH 4605

        Title:  "Programming in Concurrent Prolog"

The talk will briefly introduce Horn logic programming and will then
examine Concurrent Prolog as a concurrent and as a logic programming language.
I will compare CP to CSP and highlight various semantic and operational
difficulties with CP-like  `concurrent' languages based on Horn logic.  My
thesis is that CP is best thought of as a set of control features designed to
select a very few of the many possible execution paths for programs in a
non-deterministic language.  It is perhaps not a coherent set of control and
data-structures for the ideal concurrent programming language.  It is certainly
even less a logic programing language than Prolog.

Some of these languages have been proposed as systems programming languages. In
the second half of the talk, I will focus on  the difficulty in efficiently
programming such data-structures as arrays, dequeues, heaps etc  and propose
the use of  associative, commutative and  idempotent logic functions (data
structures) as a partial remedy.  This also naturally leads to (a slightly
generalised form of) a synchronous WRAM model of computation.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 85 09:41:20 cst
From: [email-masked] (Ted Briggs)
Subject: Seminar - Self-Organizing Retrieval for Graphs (UT)

        [Forwarded from the UTexas-20 bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                      Graduate Brown Bag Seminar

          A Self-Organizing Retrieval System for Graphs
                               by
                          Bob Levinson

                      noon  Friday Feb. 22
                            PAI 5.60

We  present  the  theory,  design,  and application of a self-organizing
intelligent  knowledge  base  in  which    all    concepts    are
represented  as graphs.  The  system  is  designed to support the
expert problem solving tasks of recall, design, and discovery. It
is  being  applied successfully in organic chemistry to store and
retrieve molecular structures   and   to  reason   with   organic
reactions. We believe that the system will also be useful in oth-
er domains.

At the basis of the system's design is the production and mainte-
nance   of  a  partial  ordering  of  graphs  by   the   relation
"subgraph-of".  We  will discuss  how  this   relation   can   be
considered   to   be  equivalent to "more-general-than",  and  we
will  present  a  simple,  yet   powerful retrieval algorithm for
data ordered in this way.

The  system  exploits  a  set  of  concepts that are common  sub-
graphs of previously stored concepts (graphs). We will  show  how
these  concepts serve  multiple  purposes that improve the  effi-
ciency  and  flexibility of the system. Since these concepts  can
be  "discovered"  by  the  system  itself,  we  say  that  it  is
"self-organizing".

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI          23-FEB-1985 21:53  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a005243; 23 Feb 85 19:12 EST
Date: Fri 22 Feb 1985 09:32-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #25
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sat, 23 Feb 85 21:49 EST

AIList Digest            Friday, 22 Feb 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 25

Today's Topics:
  AI Tools - Cheap Lisp Workstations & LISPM Tape Formats,
  Literature - OPS4 Book,
  Policy - Dubious Humor,
  Linguistics - 2nd Person Plural,
  Humor - Amirsardarism,
  Seminars - The Epistle Project (CLSI) &
    Use of Sound to Present Data (SU) &
    A Logic of Knowledge and Belief (BBN) &
    Computing Conversational Implicature (BBN),
  Project Description - Cognitive Complexity (IBMSJ)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 85 16:46:45 est
From: fischer@ru-opal (Ron Fischer)
Subject: Cheap Lisp workstations

Has anyone heard of an under $10,000 Lisp workstation with an environment
comparable to Interlisp?  If you reply with a mention of a diskless
workstation, please make it obvious that the machine needs a network.

(ron)

------------------------------

Date: 21 February 1985 11:13-EST
From: George J. Carrette <GJC @ MIT-MC>
Subject: LISPM Tape Formats

It seems this question comes up a lot. We don't have any set policy on
tape formats but LMI customers have been provided with the following
support when the need came up: (+ means comes with the system already).

    Machine       Format Supported
               LMI-Backup  TOPS-20-DUMPER  ANSI-LABELED  TAR  FIXED-EBCD(IBM)
 LMI-LAMBDA       +            *              *           *       *
   VAX/VMS        *                           +                   *
    UNIX          *                           *           +       + (dd)

The LMI-Backup is similar to ANSI-LABELED in use of file and tape
marks, except lisp-like in its use of LABELS (disembodied plists,
parsed by READ).  As I recall JIM at Tycho was able to read it easily
on his 3600. On the other hand the various Symbolics formats looked
considerably hairier and are probably covered by their trade-secret
policy, which is why we didnt try to reverse engineer it and provide
support for it on the LAMBDA, even though people are always asking us to
move code from 3600's to LAMBDAs. But either they usually have some
kind of VAX or Unix handy to make a tape or they have a
non-industry-standard 1/4-inch tape, in which case the easiest thing
is to find somebody with a 3600<->VAX settup to make a copy for you.

-gjc

------------------------------

Date: 18 February 1985 1131-EST
From: Lee Brownston@CMU-CS-A
Subject: book on OPS4 programming

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

"Programming Expert Systems With OPS5," by Lee Brownston, Elaine Kant,
Robert Farrell, and Nancy Martin, is scheduled to be published by
Addison-Wesley on April 15th.  It is about 400 pages long, and contains
an introduction to production systems, a tutorial on the OPS5 language,
an extended example of program development, treatment of control, data
representation, and programming style, the RETE pattern-match algorithm
and how to exploit it for efficiency, a general discussion of production
system architectures, a survey of applications, a comparison of related
production-system languages, solved exercises, and much, much more.

The authors are now correcting page proofs and making an index.  Things
seem to be on schedule.  For those who can't wait until publication,
copies of the page proofs are available from Addison-Wesley Publishing
Company, Inc., Reading, MA, 01867.

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 20 Feb 1985 08:45-EST
From: mcc@Mitre-Bedford
Subject: Polly Nomial

I was both surprised and dismayed to find "The Adventures of Polly
Nomial," which is a story about a rape, in AIList.  It saddens me to
realize that there are people who think there is something "humorous"
about rape, no matter how clever the description.  That this "gem" is
still around proves that misogyny still is, too.

mcc@MITRE-BEDFORD

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 85 12:35 MST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Polly Nomial is Offensive

I am offended at the insensitivity of stories like this and ask the
chairman to deny publication in the future.  Whether it is talked about
directly or disguised in a "cute" story, rape is a violent and cruel act
by one human being against another.  When it happens to someone you
know, you begin to appreciate the horror of it all.

Sexual fantasies can be fun (and healthy) but not when they are at the
expense of another.

Bob May

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 21 February 1985 13:18:22 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: 2nd person plural

I have noticed several posts on the AI-list bboard recently that address the
use of alternative plural forms of the pronoun "you" in various
socio-geographical segments of America.  Specifically, I recall references
to "y'all" and "youse".  Growing up in South Carolina, I frequently heard
the former; while living for the past 5 years in Pittsburgh, I have
frequently heard the latter.  For both of these forms, however, I have
noticed 2 pronunciations.  "Y'all" is often pronounced "yaw-ul" through the
proper application of the South Carolina low country diphthong.  "Youse" is
sometimes pronounced "yooze" around Pittsburgh.  None of these forms,
however, seems to me to be as interesting as a form I often heard used in
South Carolina low country "geechie" English, a mix of low country standard
and gullah.  In this strain, "you" becomes "yennuh" and is oftentimes barely
distinguishable as a single word because it can be imbedded in phrases that
are delivered with a rapidly rythmic tongue movement.  Hence, the phrase
sounds somewhat like one long word.  An example, one that I recall quite
clearly, was delivered by Mum Tweedie DeLee, a noted root doctor of
Dorchester County whose practice of midwivery yielded me and three of my
siblings.

On the day of the particular utterance, I and several of Mum Tweedie's
great-grand children were in the back dooryard of her shanty, poking sticks
through a chicken wire fence at a goose, which would peck at the sticks,
flap its wings, and hiss angrily, all of which provided for us a somewhat
frightening source of squeeling glee.  Several times, Mum Tweedie came out
onto the stomp and warned us to stop picking at the goose.  Each time we
dropped our sticks and pretended to take up a new form of intertainment.  On
what must have been the fourth or fifth time on the stomp, Mum Tweedie
charged down the steps and grabbed Yockey, one of the older boys, by the ear
and damned near lifted him clear of the ground.  With his attention focused
fully on her, she bent over and placed her mouth close to his firmly pulled
ear and shouted into it "Yennuhadduhbedduhmine" and then let loose his ear.
She then proceeded to use our goose sticks on our backsides to ensure we had
understood her point.  After we had received our just punishment, cried for
a spell, and were standing around sniffling, Mum Tweedie called us into the
shanty.  Once inside she gathered us around her where she could stroke our
heads and soothe us with whispered words of love laced into further warning.
"Yennuhadduhbedduhmine," she whispered, "Yennuhbedduh."  Mum Tweedie lived
to be 117 years old, by all estimates, and I have tried to follow her advice.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 18 Feb 85 10:06:46-PST
From: Shawn Amirsardary <[email-masked]>
Subject: amirsardarism

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Wow!  Thanks Evan for making my contribution to the English language
possible.

Actually the amirsardarism phenomenon comes from having a sufficiently
different set of 'cognitive' rules.  Forward amirsardarism is the
application of these rules in a forward chaining paradigm--and hence the
necessary blurting out of irrelevent conclusions.  While
reverse-amirsardarism is the application in a reverse or backwards chaining
paradigm.  I do believe that reverse-amirsardarism is the worst of the two
since the aforementioned rule set forms logically consistant conclusions in
the reverse mode, which makes it hard to spot.  While in the forward mode,
the conclusions are sufficiently illogical to make for good sarcasm.

                                --Shawn Forward-Amirsardary

(Another application of forward-amirsardarism:

        All tykes on bikes should be offered 5 Dollars, then shot
)

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Feb 85 09:57:11-PST
From: Dikran Karagueuzian <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - The Epistle Project (CLSI)

      [Forwarded from the Stanford CSLI bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                         THE EPISTLE PROJECT
                            Martin Chodorow
                              Yael Ravin
                                 IBM
                      T.J. Watson Research Center

                                                Date:   Friday, February 22
                                                Time:   2 p.m.
                                                Place:  Reading Room,
                                                           Ventura Hall.

    This talk will be an overview of the EPISTLE natural language processing
system, especially as applied to text-critiquing. The system has four major
components: a text pre-processor, a dictionary, a parser and a set of style
rules. We will describe two implementations that represent different
approaches to parsing and will discuss the style component in detail.

    In the second part of the talk we will describe semi-automatic techniques
for enhancing the semantic information contained in the dictionary. The
results of this work will provide the foundation for additional applications
in other areas, such as document abstracting or machine translation.

------------------------------

Date: 19 Feb 85  2133 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Use of Sound to Present Data (SU)

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                      User    System  Ergonomics
        A human interface journal club and discussion group

   On Wednesday February 27th, 12:00 - 1:00 in Margaret Jacks Hall room 352
                      Stanford University

              Dr. Sara Bly from Xerox will speak:
         "Beyond Vision: Using Sounds in the Interface"

   This talk will focus on the use of sound to present data information.
Multivariate, logarithmic, and time-varying data provide examples for
aural representation.  Experiments have shown that sound does convey
information accurately and that sound can enhance graphic presentations.
Methods will be discussed and examples given.

Contact Ted Selker [email-masked] for information on USE.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Feb 1985 16:25-EST
From: Brad Goodman <BGOODMAN at BBNG>
Subject: Seminar - A Logic of Knowledge and Belief (BBN)

             [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

           BBN Laboratories Artificial Intelligence Seminar Series

Speaker:   Dr. David Israel
           BBN Laboratories
           SRI International & CSLI

Title:     "A LOGIC OF KNOWLEDGE AND BELIEF
            For Logically Omniscient Yuppies (and other extroverts)"

Date:      Friday, March 1, 1985, 10:30 a.m.
Location:  3rd Floor Large Conference Room
           BBN Laboratories Inc.
           10 Moulton Street
           Cambridge, MA

Having done extensive research on the subject--to wit, having read the
Newsweek cover story "The Year of the Yuppie"--I discovered that
orthodox epistemic/doxastic logics had it all wrong.  (I assume, of
course, that such logics were meant to apply, inter alia, to Yuppies.)
But the crucial problems lie not in the ascription of logical
omniscience.  Nay; it is in the attributions of (pale and sickly)
introspection.  Yuppies who worry too much about about inner states,
their own or others', don't get to own BMW's.  I shall offer this key
demographic cohort an epistemic/doxastic logic smartly tailored to suit
their needs.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Feb 1985 09:50-EST
From: Brad Goodman <BGOODMAN at BBNG>
Subject: Seminar - Computing Conversational Implicature (BBN)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

        BBN Laboratories Artificial Intelligence Seminar Series

Speaker:   Julia Hirschberg
           University of Pennsylvania

Title:     "Computing Conversational Implicature"

Date:      Tuesday,  February 26, 1985, 10:30 a.m.
Location:  3rd Floor Large Conference Room
           BBN Laboratories Inc.
           10 Moulton Street
           Cambridge, MA

Determining what an utterance conveys, beyond its semantic import, is an
important issue in Natural Language Processing.  Such research seeks to
provide a principled basis for computational models of human behavior --
and so to support more natural computer-human interaction.   To date,
however, results have been limited by the lack of formal representations
of nonconventional inferences and the consequent difficulty of
constructing algorithms for their calculation.  The work discussed
examines one class of such inferences, scalar implicature, a type of
Gricean generalized conversational implicature. It proposes a theory of
scalar implicature based upon an analysis of naturally occurring data.
A formal representation of scalar implicature is described as well as
procedures for calculating licensed implicatures.   An application to
computer-human question-answering - now being implemented in Prolog - is
discussed, as are other potential uses in Natural Language generation
and understanding.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Feb 85  1348 PST
From: Terry Winograd <[email-masked]>
Subject: Project Description - Cognitive Complexity (IBMSJ)

[Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

The Computer Science Department at IBM Research, San Jose,
has a project which is developing the "cognitive complexity"
theory of D. Kieras (formerly at U. of Arizona, now at U. of Michigan)
and P. Polson (U. of Colorado).  The theory is being applied
to representation of the user "how to do it" knowledge implied
by the particular design of, for example, an interactive text
formatter.  The technology K & P have developed is directed to
representing user "how to do it" knowledge in production rules,
representing the surface design of the application (with respect to
what is seen by the user) as a generalized transition network, and
then deriving some measures of complexity (related to the Card, Moran,
and Newell work) for the design with respect to typical tasks.
The idea is to be able to compare design proposals (with respect to
the ease of learning and ease of use measures indicated by the
theory) at early stages of the design process.  [...]

Anyone interested should contact John Bennett, bennett%ibm-sj@csnet-relay

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI          27-FEB-1985 05:07  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a020307; 26 Feb 85 12:07 EST
Date: Mon 25 Feb 1985 15:27-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #26
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Wed, 27 Feb 85 05:04 EST

AIList Digest            Tuesday, 26 Feb 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 26

Today's Topics:
  Linguistics - Wally,
  Bindings - General Research Corp.,
  Publications - Request for Sources & TARGET AI Newsletter,
  AI Tools - YLISP & KayPro AI Languages,
  News - Recent Articles,
  Humor - EURISKO & Programming the User-Friendly Dog,
  Seminar - Motion Planning with Uncertainty (MIT)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 24-Feb-85 18:24:20-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Wally.

There was some discussion recently in the Guardian newspaper here
in the U.K. about the word `wally'. Does the word exist on the other
side of the Atlantic (or elsewhere) and if so what meaning does it have?

Gordon Joly

[email-masked]

School of Mathematical Sciences,
Queen Mary College, Mile End Road,
LONDON E1 4NS, UK.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 22 Feb 85 15:41:04-PST
From: Rene Bach <[email-masked]>
Subject: General Research Corp. pointer request

Does someone know the address/phone number of the company ? They apparently
have developed an expert system to tune a VAX VMS operating system we might
be interested in using. It is build on TIMM and is called TUNER.

Thanks for any info.
Rene Bach, Varian Associates
Bach@score

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 85 08:42:26 GMT (Friday)
From: Martin Cooper <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Slightly Depressed....

I certainly feel the same sense of deprivation, since as far as I'm
concerned, all the seminars are on the wrong side of the Atlantic, and a
very long way from the UK.

I wonder if it would be possible for the existence of related papers
and/or recordings to be mentioned along with the seminar announcements,
or in a related message on this list.

        Martin.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 22 Feb 85 10:36:44-PST
From: Ted Markowitz <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI newsletter and request for recommendations

I just received a flier from another AI newsletter called 'TARGET
The AI Business Newletter'.  In 1985 it promises

        Analysis of installed base of AI and standard machines
        used for symbolic processing.

        The market for natural language.

        AI in the micro marketplace.

        AAAI/IJCAI coverage.

        Outlook on venture capital and corporate funding.

Price: $190/year

Where: Target Technologies, 3000 Sand Hill Rd., Bldg 1, Suite 255
       Menlo Park, CA 94025.

--ted

PS: Is there a consensus in the group for which of these 'digests'
    is really worth the several hundred bucks/yr.? I'd like to get
    my folks to order one, but I want to make sure it's worth
    something.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 85 13:23:02 -0200
From: [email-masked]  (Jacob Levy)
Subject: YLISP available for FTP

Hi!

        I am pleased to announce that YLISP is finally available for FTP
from  'maryland.arpa' using  user id 'ftp' and password 'anonymous'. The
stuff is  in directory  YLISP (note capitals); There are 20 files in all
to copy - 16 files containing the system, named FTP_Y.[1-16], a makefile
a recursive copying program named 'copy' and 2 READ.ME  files. Make sure
that the receiving system has ~4500 K disk space on the  file system you
copy it to.

        Before trying to  install the system,  please read 'READ.ME.FTP'
carefully. All bugs, complaints, requests and suggestions please mail to

        BITNET:                         jaakov@wisdom
        CSNET and ARPA:                 [email-masked]
        UUCP: (if all else fails..)     ..!decvax!humus!wisdom!jaakov
        POSTAL: Jacob Levy
                Dept of Applied Math,
                Weizmann Institute of Science,
                Rehovot 71600, ISRAEL

PS - The system will be available on BITNET pretty soon also. Separate
     anouncement to BITNET users will follow.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 1985 17:09:06 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: AI Info.

I would like to know if anyone out there has an AI language that can
be run on a KAYPRO 4/84 using the CP/M operating system?

Recent articles:

There is an interesting and introductory article article in the
March 1985 issue of  COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS, pp. 69-73, entitled
"Expert Systems on Microcomputers."  The article describes the very
basics of decision-support systems and how AI fits in.  The systems
covered in the article are M.1 and M.1a (Teknolledge), Expert Ease
(Expert Systems), and MVP-Forth (Mountain View Press).  These three
systems all run on the IBM PC/XT.

In addition, there is an article "AI On A Chip" and another, "FORTH
and AI" which prove interestign reading for new people in the AI
field.

Mark Baskeyfield
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, CA  93943

[email-masked]

Thanks!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 85 09:27:34 cst
From: Laurence Leff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Recent Articles

Infoworld February 25, 1985 Page 5  Editorial

'The next big lemminglike rush will be to artificial intelligence.  AI will
be the most despised and abused [software concept] of the next year.  So
in a perverse way, AI is an exciting opportunity for people who recognize
what it can do for customers.'
Mitch Kapor, Chairman of Lotus Development

Some people are avoiding the AI label due to AI-hype and Rube Goldberg
overdesign.  Microsoft's Bill Gates has used the term "softer software"
instead of AI.  This is for systems that will learn the user's work
patterns and help execute them.
For example, if a person dials up his mainframe, gets some data, does
some spread sheet processing and generates some graphics pasting it into
a report, the system should figure out that is his pattern and start
doing it automatically.  Furthermore it should handle a request on
Friday like "generate the usual sales report but give me a separate
graph on what is happening in Europe"

Also software should determine which configuration a user has so he does
not have to enter information as to what graphics card and printer he
is using.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 25 Feb 85 10:48:43-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: Recent Articles

IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, February 1985:

From Paper Drawings to Computer-Aided Design, by M. Karima, K. Sadhal,
and T. McNeil of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, pp. 27-39:
A survey of techniques and difficulties in automated optical
entry of complex schematics and wiring diagrams.  Thirty papers
are referenced.

An Overview of Analytic Solid Modeling, by M. Casale and E. Stanton
of PDA Engineering, pp. 45-56:
Describes a way of modeling complex shapes as composites of parametric
curves and solids (e.g., swept or deformed regular solids).  This seems
to combine the volumetric simplicity of CSG representations with the
flexibility of B-rep.  Derivation of mass properties is very simple,
although the "inverse problem" of determining whether a point is inside
or outside a volume is a little complex.  The ASM approach maintains
a parametric coordinate system so that physical properties (e.g.,
temperature, stress, curvature, color) can be attached to each point
on or in a solid.  This makes the technique ideal for finite element
analysis.

Braintrain Seeks Educational Software from Independent Authors, p. 82:
An example is shown of this company's iconic programming language for
the ChipWits computer-graphics robots.  Apparently it's a high-level
flowchart language.  The simulated robots can be pitted against
various simulated environments.  The game software is available for
the Macintosh and Apple II.

Badler Becomes Associate Editor-in-Chief of IEEE CG&A, p. 86:
Norman Badler is interested in artificial intelligence, particularly
as applied to simulation of human motion, so the magazine will no
doubt continue its coverage of AI-related topics.

High Technology, March 1985:

Software Tools Speed Expert System Development, by P. Kinnucan, pp. 16-20:
Describes commercially-available expert system shells, particularly KEE.
Mentions KEE for frame-based representation and for forward chaining
(as well as the usual backward chaining), ART for hypothetical and
multiworld reasoning, and Insight for database access and low price
($95, but without the ability to use variables in rules).  Also mentions
M.1, LOOPS, TI's Personal Consultant, Arbie, IN-ATE, and REVEAL.

Expert System Shells Boost A.I. Market, by M. Foley, p. 21:
Further discussion of the same material.

IntelliCorp: The Selling of Artificial Intelligence, by E. Linden, pp. 22-25:
A two-page history and description of the company making KEE.

Prospecting from the Skies, by G. Graff, pp. 49-56:
Interesting discussion of the advances that can be expected soon in
remote sensing >>without<< the use of AI (but with high-resolution
multispectral data and sophisticated location- and time-specific
analysis).

Personal Robots Face Software Challenge, by M. Higgins, pp. 71-73:
Describes the primitive state of personal-robot software.

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 85 19:51:37 est
From: Walter Hamscher <hamscher at mit-htvax>
Subject: EURISKO Seminar, Continued

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

TIME: 12 Noon
DATE: Friday, February 22
PLACE: 8th Floor Playroom
HOSTS: Michael Caine, Neil Singer, and Kenneth Pasch.
REFRESHMENTS: t

                PLAUSIBLE POSITION GENERATION:
           THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF EURISKO, PART II

                       Blackstone Le Mot

This talk was to be the second in a series describing the application
of EURISKO, a discovery program, to non-traditional domains.  In this
case the domain was position generation, in which the program is given
some knowledge of geometry, anatomy, and the first 37 pages of the
Kama Sutra.  The talk is canceled, however, because the slides have not
yet been cleared with Dean McBay and the Ad Hoc Committee.  Hence we
instead skip to the third and final talk in this series:

                       TARGET SELECTION:
            THE LAST ADVENTURE OF EURISKO, PART III

Traditional strategic thinking, i.e. from Clausewitz to the present day,
emphasises the need to bring maximum destructive force to bear on the
enemy's armed forces and industrial centers to ensure a swift end to
hostilities.  Present day weapons systems have been characterized as
"eggshells armed with hammers," suggesting that in the event of
hostilities, targets must be swiftly chosen, in time-frames requiring
automated response, to avoid the loss of precious megatonnage.  In this
experiment we used EURISKO to choose targets in simulated nuclear exchanges,
with extremely exciting results.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 85 19:42:32 est
From: Gary Cottrell  <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Programming the User-Friendly Dog

                                 SEMINAR

                       Saturday, 23 February 1985
                             55 Cottage St.
                                9:00 p.m.

                                 Speaker
                          Garrison W. Cottrell
                      University of Cottage Street
                        Department of Dog Science

                   "Programming the User-Friendly Dog"

         A current  hot  research  topic  is  building  user-friendly
    interfaces  to  computer  systems.  One of the techniques of this
    work is  to  design  so-called  "habitable  subsets"  of  natural
    language  that  in  many  cases  allow  the  naive  user to begin
    productively using the system with little instruction.   In  this
    work,  we  will show that these techniques, combined with results
    from connectionist dog modelling, can be transferred to the  ever
    growing field of building user-friendly dogs.  While the hardware
    in this case is an example of a VRISC (Very  Reduced  Instruction
    Set)  computer, we will show that it is still possible to program
    easily-learned high level commands.

         Since it has been shown that in working with such  machines,
    the user has to do much of the computation of appropriate command
    contexts (New Directions in Connectionist Dog Modelling, Cottrell
    84), it is important to use English commands that make sense with
    respect to the  intended  effect.   For  example,  many  previous
    researchers  have  advocated  the use of such commands as "Go on"
    (How to Live with Three Dobermans, Kester 84) or "Go play" (Being
    Mellow  with  Your  Dog,  Ose  73)  to mean "Go lie down and quit
    bothering me." The obvious mismatch here between the  intent  and
    the  usual meaning of "Go on" (i.e., continue) makes it difficult
    for new users of the system to adapt to the command language.   A
    more  ergonomically-designed  command  is  "Scram."  The  command
    matches the intent,  and  "go"  is  saved  for  more  appropriate
    contexts.

         The reasons for the present sad state of affairs in most dog
    programming  systems can be traced to the use of outmoded command
    languages and archaic beliefs about the capacities  of  the  dog.
    On  the  first point, many so called "experts" still advocate the
    use of "heel" to mean "walk beside me." In this case, there is  a
    double  mismatch:  First  with  the  hardware,  which as everyone
    knows, has no heel; and second with the semantics of the  English
    word  "heel", which might better be used with respect to the male
    dog's behavior towards female dogs.  The New Age  dog  programmer
    uses the much more natural command "Walk with Me." Addressing the
    second  point,  many  dog  programmers  believe  that  they  have
    accomplished   much  more  than  is  possible  with  these  crude
    machines.  It has long been known to those on  the  forefront  of
    this  field  (Larson,  84) that such baroque commands strings as:
    "Now, JellyBean, you stay here, I have to go to a party  and  you
    can't  come.  Be a good boy, JellyBean!" are actually interpreted
    by the machine as: "blah JellyBean blah blah blah blah blah  blah
    blah   blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah
    JellyBean," which is certainly not what the  user  intended.   We
    will  have  a  demonstration  system  at  the  talk employing our
    interface, including such useful commands as "Call the Elevator",
    "Wag your tail", and "Eat that dog food."

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 1985  16:10 EST (Fri)
From: "Daniel S. Weld" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Motion Planning with Uncertainty (MIT)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

On Motion Planning with Uncertainty

Michael Erdmann

Robots must successfully plan and execute tasks in the presence of
control and sensing uncertainty.  Said differently, a robot must know
both how to get to a goal and how to recognize success once it has
gotten to the goal.  I will present a backprojection algorithm that
computes regions from which motions along particular commanded
directions are guaranteed to successfully reach a goal.  I will also
discuss the issue of goal recognizability and the power of the
backprojection approach in terms of the termination predicates
required to recognize success.

Tuesday, Feb. 26, 4 PM, 8th Floor Playroom

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	COMSAT          1-MAR-1985 05:10  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a016718; 1 Mar 85 2:02 EST
Date: Thu 28 Feb 1985 21:58-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #27
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 1 Mar 85 05:05 EST

AIList Digest             Friday, 1 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 27

Today's Topics:
  AI Tools - XLISP & Unification & Rete Networks & DUCK,
  Applications - CAI & Commonsense Reasoning & Paradox,
  Representation - Analytic Solid Modeling,
  Bindings - General Research Corp.,
  Correction - Webster service,
  Linguistics - Wally & Y'alls,
  Business - R&D Opportunity & Medicomp AI/DB System,
  Seminars - Direct Manipulation Interfaces (CMU) &
    Counterfactuals (SU)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 85 15:56:24 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: XLISP Questions

 I am working on a version of LISP called XLISP and am wondering
if anyone else has worked with it.  In particular I am having trouble
with the 'Object', 'Class', and 'Keymap' primitives.  What are instance
variables? Class variables? Thanks.
David Fobare

------------------------------

Date: Tue 26 Feb 85 10:20:30-MST
From: Pete Tinker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Production Systems/Unification

Are there any production systems (backward- or forward-chaining) which
use unification rather than simple pattern matches to bind variables?

-Pete Tinker (TINKER@UTAH-20)

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 85 12:49:42 PST (Wed)
From: Don Rose <drose@uci-icse>
Subject: rete networks

Hello everyone - I am currently familiarizing myself with the subject of
rete networks (esp. with regards to a possible synthesis with current
data-dependency frameworks for truth maintenance); if anyone can point the
way to relevant/interesting articles along these lines (or just on rete
networks alone), I would appreciate your help. Thanks    --Donald Rose
                                                        drose@uci-icse

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 85 17:57:23 PST
From: Koenraad Lecot <[email-masked]>
Subject: DUCK

Can anybody provide me with references to the DUCK language? I know Smart
Systems Technologies is selling DUCK but I imagine they'll charge for
manuals (smart).
Thanks in advance,

 -- Koenraad Lecot

ARPA: [email-masked]
UUCP: ...!{cepu,ihnp4,randvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!koen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 85 15:09:44 est
From: Deepak Kumar <[email-masked]>
Subject: Info wanted - Expert Systems for CAI

        I'm taking a course on AI in Medicine where in I have decided
        to present a seminar on Intelligent Computer Assisted Instruction
        for Medical Diagnosis. I want to emphasize use of already-
        existing Expert Systems for CAI applications. After all, when the
        knowledge is there, it can be utilized for purposes other than
        advising and decision making.

        If there are any references or materials on the above domain
        I'd like to have it. It need not be specifically to the
        area of Medicine. So, if anyone has made any attempts on using
        Expert Systems in Education, I'd like to get some experiences
        that I can share with my audience.

        Thanx.

        Deepak Kumar (Dept. of CS, SUNY at Buffalo)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 85 17:16:42 est
From: arora@buffalo (Kulbir S. Arora)
Subject: Request for bibliography

 Is there a bibliography available on Common-sense reasoning systems
 (qualitative reasoning, mental models) ?

 Kulbir Arora

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 1985 1559-PST (Wednesday)
From: Eugene Miya <[email-masked]>
Subject: info requested -- paradox

Newsgroups: net.ai
Distribution: net

This is for someone else.  Send replies to me.

Does anybody have pointers to structures and techniques for dealing with
paradox or apparent contradiction [e.g., light is a wave, light is a
particle]?  one suggestion made was to use analogy, but we have a
copy of the "analogy considered harmful" paper by some people at parc.

thanks in advance.

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,vortex}!ames!aurora!eugene
  [email-masked]

p.s. usenet responses turned up one ref to work at mit on contradiction.

------------------------------

Date: 26 February 1985 23:16-EST
From: John G. Aspinall <JGA @ MIT-MC>
Subject: Recent Article - representation of solids

In a recent AI digest, I noticed this summary of a paper from IEEE Computer
Graphics and Applications, February 1985:

    From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>

    An Overview of Analytic Solid Modeling, by M. Casale and E. Stanton
    of PDA Engineering, pp. 45-56:
    Describes a way of modeling complex shapes as ...

I'm very interested by these sorts of systems, and have been working with
splines for some time now, so I was quite interested in the paper.  If any
reader has deeper knowledge of the system described I would appreciate some
enlightenment about a query of mine.  I have read the paper thoroughly, and I
don't think it answers this.

One thing I did not understand was the following: They made a big deal out of
the necessity to represent circles (surfaces of rotation, holes, cylinders,
etc.)  which I agree with -- a round object is easily produced in many ways
in the real world (lathes, drills, etc.).  But there is no way to exactly
represent a circle as a polynomial of a parametric variable.

That is if x = P(u) and y = Q(u), where P and Q are polynomials, there is no
way to let x^2 + y^2 = r^2 (a constant, independent of u) except the trivial
point solution x = constant, y = constant.

So how do they represent circles?  Possibility 1: they represent them
approximately with splines.  Problem: suppose you want to model another
cylinder rotating in that hole.  It's quite conceivable that the clearances
involved might be 10^-3 or less of the diameter.  That implies an awful lot of
spline-knots.  Possibility 2: Circles (and by extension, cylinders etc.) exist
as exact entities in their system.  Problem: how do you join that to a spline
solid, for instance when you put a hole in something?

If you have any ideas about this, I'd be very interested in hearing them.
Many thanks for any light you might shed.  Oh yes, please reply to me directly.

John Aspinall.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 27 Feb 85 14:36:52-CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: General Research Corp. Query

General Research has two locations:

  P.O. Box 6770                      7655 Old Springhouse Road
  Santa Barbara, CA  93160-6770      McLean, VA  22102
  (805) 964-7724                     (703) 893-5915
  TWX-TELEX 910-334-1193

Dallas Webster

------------------------------

Date: Thu 28 Feb 85 15:22:16-PST
From: David Roode <[email-masked]>
Subject: Webster service

In Volume 3 issues 17 and 23 of this digest, mention was made
of an experimental service being developed here at SRI-NIC.
The articles gave the false impression that this was a generally
available, production service.  This is in fact not the case.
We have to iron out several issues before the service can be made
public, and an announcement will be made when and if the
online dictionary is available.

[My apologies for picking up the Rutgers bboard announcement and
help file for the WEBSTER program without checking into the
program's availability.  It seems there may be copyright or
related issues in addition to software-related ones.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 85 13:16:03 EST
From: Pete Bradford (CSD UK) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Wally

                As a `Brit', now resident in the US for some 3 years,
        and  an  avid fan of the `Grauniad' newspaper,  let me try to
        answer Gordon Joly's question.    To the best of my knowledge
        the word `wally' does NOT exist in the United States. It app-
        ears in Websters Dictionary as a Scottish word meaning `fine,
        splendid, or sturdy',  a long way from its modern day British
        use! There is also a word  `wallydraigle', or `wallydrag'(!),
        also Scottish,  which means `a feeble, undergrown or slovenly
        creature', perhaps a lot closer to the `wally' we all know --
        at least, ONE of the meanings we know!

                The nearest equivalents to `wally' over here,  in the
        sense of a stupid or foolish person, are `jerk',or `nerd'. As
        for the other meanings, well,  the one meaning that which you
        would buy in a Fish and Chip shop is a `dill pickle', or just
        plain `pickle'. The other meaning, ie an organ which I, along
        with approximately half the human race, possess,   is covered
        by as many terms in the US as it is in the UK - but NOT wally.

                        Hope this helps!

                                PJB

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 85 13:43:58 est
From: "Thomas E. Schutz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Y'alls

  Some people in Richmond, Virginia have evolved their own forms
  for the singular and plural "you" :

      Singular - "y'all"

      Plural   - "y'alls"

  I discovered this while visiting Richmond over summer vacation.
  A native of the town addressed me as "y'all"; perplexed, I turned
  around but did not see anyone else standing there.  Later on
  I overheard the word "y'alls," and then everything fell into place.

                                     - Tom Schutz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 85 16:04 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: R&D Opportunity

An announcement will soon appear (estimated 7 - 14 March 85) in the
Commerce Business Daily (CBD) advertizing a research and development
(R&D) program to be undertaken by the Rome Air Development Center
(RADC).  This advertisement will be in the form of a Program Research
and Development Announcement (PRDA) which is a notice which provides
information about RADC's interest in R&D in a specific area where the
method for achieving the goal is not evident.  This particular PRDA
will contain many different areas of interest.  Some will be of
interest to the AI community such as the application of AI technology
in software development environments.  The notice you are now reading
is not a solicitation and is merely a "heads up" to encourage
participation.  Responses and/or communications are not to be
directed to the address appearing on this notice and should be made
in accordance with directions contained in the CBD announcement.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 85 05:50:10 cst
From: Laurence Leff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Medicomp AI/DB System

Electronics Week February 18, 1985 Page 59

Medicomp of Virginia Inc. is now selling a combination medical records
/artificial intelligence system.  The system runs on an IBM Series/1
minicomputer with a dabase covering 3000 diseases, 1000 symptoms and 1000
medical tests.  The system had its first sale to Cleveland Clinic.  They
purchased it when it solved a baffling case of infectious endocarditis.
It costs $55,000.

They have been maintaining a free telephone hookup to the system for
demonstration purposes.

------------------------------

Date: 25 February 1985 1351-EST
From: Jeff Shrager@CMU-CS-A
Subject: Seminar - Direct Manipulation Interfaces (CMU)

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                Artificial Intelligence Lecture Series

     COGNITIVE ENGINEERING of DIRECT MANIPULATION INTERFACES

                            Don Norman

                  Institute for Cognitive Science
                University of California, San Diego
                        La Jolla  CA  92093

                     2:00 PM, Friday, March 1

           Westinghouse R & D Center Auditorium - Bldg 401

                             Abstract

To program by Direct Manipulation is to program by connecting together
data streams, drawing the interconnections on the screen and letting
the resulting diagram be the program.  Direct Manipulation is made
possible by the combination of object-oriented programming languages
(as available on Lisp machines), high-resolution bit-mapped graphics,
and pointing devices.  It promises superior performance for that class
of problems that can be characterized in this manner.   It allows
concentration upon the semantics of the task rather than the structure
of the programming language.   At least, so goes the rhetoric.

Examination of the nature of Direct Manipulation leads naturally to an
examination of the major issues in interface design.  It turns out that
one of the major virtues of Direct Manipulation is the feeling of
control that it produces, the feeling of directly manipulating the
computational objects one cares about.   This feeling depends as much
upon the skill of the user as the nature of the interface.  We meet the
Gulfs of Execution and of Evaluation, gulfs that Direct Manipulation
interfaces promise to bridge more readily than conventional interfaces.
Will Direct manipulation Interfaces live up to their promise?  Yes and
no.

                           Directions

Head east on the parkway, I-376, to the Churchill exit (13).  As you
come off, keep bearing right for a few hundred yards to the first
traffic light.  Proceed straight through it, across Beulah Road, and
up the R&D entrance road where the guard will point out visitors
parking and reception.  You don't need to call in advance; there will
be a few technicians to escort visitors to the auditorium.

In addition to the Westinghouse talk, Don Norman will be speaking in the
Psychology Colloquium Series this Thursday, Feb 28, at 4:00 in the
Adamson Wing (BH).  The talk is entitled: "From slips and mistakes to
a theory of action".

------------------------------

Date: Tue 26 Feb 85 09:39:50-PST
From: Paula Edmisten <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Counterfactuals (SU)

 [Forwarded from the Stanford SIGLUNCH distribution by Laws@SRI-AI.]

DATE:        Friday, March 1, 1985
LOCATION:    Chemistry Gazebo, between Physical and Organic Chemistry
TIME:        12:05

SPEAKER:     Matthew Ginsberg, Computer Science Department and
             Heuristic Programming Project, Stanford University

ABSTRACT:    COUNTERFACTUALS

Counterfactuals are a form of commonsense non-montonic inference  that
has been of  long-term interest  to philosophers.  In  this paper,  we
begin by describing some of the impact counterfactuals can be expected
to have in artificial intelligence,  and by reviewing briefly some  of
the philosophical  conclusions  which  have  been  drawn  about  them.
Philosophers  have   noted  that   the  content   of  any   particular
counterfactual is  in  part  context-dependent; we  present  a  formal
description  of  counterfactuals  that   allows  us  to  encode   this
context-dependent information clearly in  the choice of a  sublanguage
of the logical  language in which  we are working.   Having made  this
choice, we show  that our description  of counterfactuals is  formally
identical to  the accepted  "possible  worlds" interpretation  due  to
David Lewis.  Finally, we examine the application of our ideas in  the
domain of automated diagnosis of hardware faults.

Paula

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	COMSAT          4-MAR-1985 22:54  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a005933; 4 Mar 85 2:58 EST
Date: Sun  3 Mar 1985 22:34-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #28
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Mon, 4 Mar 85 22:41 EST

AIList Digest             Monday, 4 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 28

Today's Topics:
  Knowledge Representation - Attribution of Characteristics &
    RETE Algorithm & Commonsense and Qualitative Reasoning,
  AI Tools - KEE Unification & XLISP,
  Seminar Summary - Representational Cognitive Modeling (CSLI),
  Seminars - Varieties of Phenomenology (UCB) &
    Prolog, Databases, and Natural Language Access (SU) &
    Connectionist Inference Architecture (CMU) &
    Animating Programs Using Smalltalk (GE)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 85 07:50:00 EST
From: bogner@ari-hq1
Reply-to: <bogner@ari-hq1>
Subject: ATTRIBUTION OF CHARACTERISTICS

I AM COLLECTING DATA FOR A KNOWLEDGE REPRESENTATION MODEL, ON THE ATTRIBUTION
OF CHARACTERISTICS TO INDIVIDUALS USING A MODIFICATION OF GEORGE KELLY'S
REP GRID.  I AM DEVELOPING AN ARGUMENT AGAINST ATTRIBUTION ALONG BIPOLAR
DIMENSIONS (BOUNDED BY ANTONYMS).  IS ANYONE  ELSE ADDRESSING THAT OR A
SIMILAR QUESTION???

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE LISTINGS OF ANY RELATED CONFERENCES, MEETINGS,
TUTORIALS, . . .

SUE

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 1985  9:08:28 EST (Friday)
From: Karl Schwamb <m13820@mitre>
Subject: RETE Algorithm

This is in replay to Don Rose's message to the AIList (V 3, N 27).

The two references below are an excellent place to start learning about
the RETE algorithm:

C. L. Forgy, "Rete: A Fast Algorithm for the Many Pattern/Many Object
Pattern Match Problem," in ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (V 19, N 1).

C. L. Forgy, On the efficient implementation of production systems,
Ph.D. Thesis, Carnegie-Mellon Univ., 1979.

Hope this helps! ...Karl

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 85 08:20 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Commonsense Reasoning

        From: arora@buffalo (Kulbir S. Arora)
        Subject: Request for bibliography

         Is there a bibliography available on Common-sense reasoning systems
        (qualitative reasoning, mental models) ?

        Kulbir Arora

Volume 24  of the AI Journal was devoted to Qualitative Reasoning about
Physical Systems, and is now avalailable as a book from MIT Press.
danny bobrow

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 85 17:12 EST
From: Paul Fishwick <[email-masked]>
Subject: Qualitative Reasoning

As to the request for a bibiliography for qualitative reasoning, I
suggest reviewing the following 2 references:

1) "Mental Models", edited by Gentner, Dedre and Stevens, Albert,
   Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey 1983.

2) Special Issue of the Artificial Intelligence Journal: Volume 24,
   numbers 1-3, December 1984.

They contain a number of very good papers in addition to further
references for more specific topics within QR.

-paul

------------------------------

Date: Sun 3 Mar 85 08:49:32-PST
From: Richard Fikes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Rule Systems Using Unification

Regarding your query about production rule systems and unification --

The rule system in IntelliCorp's KEE system (Release 2.0) uses full
unification to match rules to goals, subgoals, and items retrieved
from the knowledge base.  It has both a forward chainer and a backward
chainer.

richard fikes
(FIKES@USC-ECL)

------------------------------

Date: Friday,  1 Mar 1985 06:37:27-PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: XLISP

Re: XLISP question in AIList V3.27

There is an article on XLISP in the March 85 Byte magazine.  Also,
the recent USENET distribution of XLISP mentioned that the author,
Dave Betz, can be reached as "harvard!betz".  I don't know the
USENET path to harvard, nor do I know if [email-masked] would
work.

Dave's a good guy, please don't bother him with questions if you
haven't read the article (and the code/documentation/examples).

Martin Minow
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 1985 1656 PST
From: Larry Carroll <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: XLISP

The latest Byte (March '85) has an article by the author of XLISP, David
Betz.  It includes a fairly clear explanation of the concepts you're
having trouble with and some examples.
                                                Larry @ jpl-vlsi

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 85 18:28:31 PST
From: Richard K. Jennings <[email-masked]>
Subject: XLISP 1.4

        The current issue of Byte (March 85) has an excellent article
on XLISP by its creator David Betz.  In it he mentions version 1.4
which is supposed to be similar to Common Lisp.  Anybody know where a
copy can be obtained?

Rich.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 85 16:00:23 PST
From: Richard K. Jennings <[email-masked]>
Subject: XLISP

I am in the process of getting the newest version of XLISP to run
on an IBM-PC-AT/DOS 3.0/Computer Innovations ver 2.1/ big-dos2-soft
model.  The source is available at HARVARD, which accepts an
anonymous login.

In order to get the thing to recompile (almost 1 hr), some changes
had to be made, described below.  Although I have just started to
test it out, any obvious mistakes I may have made I would appreciate
hearing about from an observant reader.

[XLISP ver 1.4 is a public domain version of a COMMON LISP, new
with version 1.4, which was authored and maintained by David Betz]
[The source is 170K, .EXE is 70K, and the manual is 30p]
[Also see March 85 BYTE for an article by Betz on XLISP]

Changes:
1) NIL => 0 from (NODE *) 0
2) deleted references to xlintern()
3) used standard unix "setjmp.h" (bsd 4.1)
4) used a dummy "ctype.h"

The file available on HARVARD is a shell file.  Since I am not
running under unix, I had to kludge my own decommutator which I
can send upon request.

Richard K Jennings
AF Sat Cntl Fac
408 744-6427 av: 799-6427  arpa: jennings@aerospace
                                  afscf.xrp@hq-afsc

------------------------------

Date: Thu 21 Feb 85 14:50:16-PST
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar Summary - Representational Cognitive Modeling (CSLI)

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                          SUMMARY OF F4 MEETING

      At the meeting of project F4 on February 11, Bob Moore presented
   arguments for the representational approach to designing AI systems
   and modelling mental activities in humans.  Moore first noted the
   relative ease with which a human can acquire individual beliefs
   without disturbing very much of the rest of his mental state.  This
   supports the idea that distinct beliefs ought to be embodied
   more-or-less individually, since acquiring a new belief does not seem
   to require wholesale reorganization of one's mental state.  Moore went
   on to argue that the combinatorial structure of what can be believed
   suggests a similar combinatorial structure to how it is believed.  The
   idea is that the combinatorial structure of the sentences used to
   characterize belief states does not serve merely to distinguish one
   belief state from another; there are regularities in behavior that
   depend on that structure.  For instance, having a belief of the form
   ``if not P, then Q'' is associated with behavior appropriate to Q's
   being true when evidence of P's being false is presented, but not
   necessarily with behavior appropriate to P's being true when evidence
   of Q's being false is presented, even though ``if not P, then Q'' and
   ``if not Q, then P'' are equivalent under most interpretations of the
   conditional.  The fact that this and many other structural
   distinctions in sentences used to classify belief states correspond to
   systematic distinctions in behavior presents a prima facie case that
   the belief states themselves are similarly structured.  But, Moore
   argued, under a conception of representation sufficiently abstract to
   cover the kinds of ``representation'' actually used in computational
   models of mental states, the claim that mental states involve
   ``syntactic'' representations--a language of thought--probably comes
   to no more than this.  Moore concluded by noting that none of these
   arguments bear on the question of whether the language of thought is
   distinct from natural language, but that empirical considerations,
   such as the indexicality of natural language and the difficulty of
   stating principles of reasoning that apply directly to natural
   language, suggest that the two are distinct.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 85 16:15:29 pst
From: chertok%ucbkim@Berkeley (Paula Chertok)
Subject: Seminar - Varieties of Phenomenology (UCB)

                    BERKELEY COGNITIVE SCIENCE PROGRAM
                              Spring 1985
                   Cognitive Science Seminar -- IDS 237B

            TIME:                Tuesday, March 5, 11 - 12:30
            PLACE:               240 Bechtel Engineering Center
         (followed by)
            DISCUSSION:          12:30 - 2 in 200 Building T-4

            SPEAKER:  Hubert  Dreyfus,  Department  of  Philosophy,  UC
                      Berkeley
            TITLE:    ``Varieties of Phenomenology:  Husserl, Heidegger
                        and Merleau-Ponty''

            A tutorial review of the three most  important  accounts  of
       intentionality in recent continental philosophy, with emphasis on
       their relevance to current  theories  of  mental  representation.
       Edmund  Husserl  begins  the phenomenological concern with inten-
       tionality.  In his earlier work, The LOGICAL  INVESTIGATIONS,  he
       holds  a  view  similar to Searle's that intentional content type
       individuates mental acts.  Later, in IDEAS, he changes to a posi-
       tion,  which  he  calls  ``cognitive  science,''  in which mental
       representations are held  to  be  hierarchies  of  strict  rules,
       involved in all intelligent activity.  I take this to be an early
       version of the computational view of the mind.

            Husserl's account  leads  to  two  important  counter-views.
       Martin Heidegger in BEING AND TIME argues that intentional states
       do not play the central role in intelligent behavior Husserl sup-
       posed,  and that even in those cases where intentional states are
       involved their intentional content can not be treated as abstract
       structures.   Maurice Merleau-Ponty, like Heidegger, argues for a
       primitive form of intentionality which does  not  involve  mental
       representation, but  whereas Heidegger is primarily interested in
       an account of action and its social setting, Merleau-Ponty  bases
       his critique on a phenomenology of perception and bodily skills.

            Together, Heidegger's and Merleau-Ponty's  work  constitutes
       the most powerful critique of cognitivism so far offered.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 28 Feb 85 09:51:18-PST
From: Gio Wiederhold <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - PROLOG, DATABASES, AND NATURAL LANGUAGE ACCESS (SU)

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

CS 300  --  Computer Science Department Colloquium  --  Winter 1984-1985.

                      Tuesday, March 5, 1985
                    at 4:15 in Terman Auditorium

         PROLOG, DATABASES, AND NATURAL LANGUAGE ACCESS

                        David H.D. WARREN
                  Quintus Computer Systems, Inc.

PROLOG is a general purpose programming language based on logic.  It
can be viewed either as an extension of pure LISP, or as an extension
of a relational database query language.  It was first conceived in
1972, by Alain Colmerauer at the University of Marseille.  Since then,
it has been used in a wide variety of applications, including natural
language processing, algebraic symbol manipulation, compiler writing,
architectural design, VLSI circuit design, and expert systems.  PROLOG
was chosen as the initial kernel language for Japan's Fifth Generation
Computer Systems project, and the project's prototype Prolog machine,
PSI, has recently been unveiled in Tokyo.

In this talk, I will give an overview of the language, and then focus
on one particular application, a domain-independent system for natural
language question answering, called "CHAT".  I will compare the way
Chat plans and executes a query with the query optimization strategies
of relational database systems such as SYSTEM-R.  Finally I will
discuss the future prospects for PROLOG in the light of Japan's Fifth
Generation project, and describe the high-performance PROLOG systems
for the SUN and VAX available from Quintus.

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 1 March 1985 15:56:29 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminar - Connectionist Inference Architecture (CMU)

AI SEMINAR
Symbols Among the Neurons:  Details of a Connectionist Inference Architecture
Dave Touretzky, CMU
Tuesday, March 5, 3:00 pm in WeH 5409

    Pattern matching and variable binding are easily implemented in
conventional computer architectures, but not necessarily in all
architectures.  In a distributed neural network architecture each
symbol is represented by activity in many units and each unit
contributes to the representation of many symbols.  Manipulating
symbols using this type of representation is not as easy as with a
local representation where each unit denotes one symbol, but there
is evidence that the distributed approach is the one chosen by
nature.  In this talk I will describe work I am doing with Geoff
Hinton on production system interpreters implemented in neural
networks using distributed representations for both symbols and
rules.  The research provides an account of two important symbolic
reasoning operations, pattern matching and variable binding, as
emergent properties of collections of neuron-like elements.  The
success of our production system implementations goes some way
towards answering a common criticism of connectionist theories:
that they aren't powerful enough to do symbolic reasoning.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 85 15:13:02 EST
From: coopercc@GE-CRD
Subject: Seminar - Animating Programs Using Smalltalk (GE)

                    Computer  Science Seminar
                General  Electric  R & D  Center
                        Schenectady, N.Y.

               Animating Programs Using Smalltalk

                         Ralph L. London
                         Tektronix, Inc.

                        Friday, March 15
                 1:30 PM, Bldg. K1, Conf. Rm. 2
                     (Refreshments at 1:15)

     ABSTRACT: We discuss  our  work  in  program  animation
     using the Smalltalk programming environment.  We strive
     to isolate the graphical  viewing  structure  from  the
     code  of  the algorithm being animated.  In addition to
     "procedure calls" this is achieved through a refinement
     of  the  Smalltalk  Model-View-Controller construct and
     view dependency mechanism, which allows  the  algorithm
     code  to  broadcast interesting events and supports the
     insertion of probes into active values.  Multiple, dif-
     ferent  views  of  a single object are easily achieved.
     There are connections between  interesting  events  and
     invariant  assertions.   Further  efforts  were made to
     ensure smoothness of  motion  and  transitions  between
     states.   A number of particular animations, the evolu-
     tion  of  an  animation,  and  directions  for  further
     research are included.  We plan to show a videotape.

     Notice to Non-GE attendees:
     It is necessary that we ask you to notify Marion  White
     (518-385-8370  or  WHITEMM@GE-CRD) at least two days in
     advance of the seminar.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI           4-MAR-1985 05:42  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a006525; 4 Mar 85 4:36 EST
Date: Sun  3 Mar 1985 23:06-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #29
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Mon, 4 Mar 85 05:37 EST

AIList Digest             Monday, 4 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 29

Today's Topics:
  News - Recent Articles and Rutgers Reports,
  Information Science - Xerox NoteCards,
  Humor - Kurzweill Reader & Analysis of AIList Contents,
  Conferences - AI in Engineering &
    Theoretical Issues in Conceptual Information Processing &
    Southern California AI Society

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 1985 13:32-EST
From: Leff@laurence, [email-masked],
Subject: Articles in the Applied Intelligence Reporter

Applied Intelligence Reporter Volume 2 No 3/4 (some material omitted
as it is a repeat of stuff I reported earlier)

Robots in the Workplace: Summary of material from James S. Albus work on
robotics.

An ad from Scientific Data Link 850 Third Avenue, New York NY 10022
(212) 838-7200 for various microfiche copies of technical reports on
artificial intelligence from

  MIT 1-513 450 fiche $2100.00
  Rutgers 230 reports 264 fiche $1395
  SRI 285 reports $1800
  Carnegie Mellon 600 papers Part I $2050, Part II $2150 Parts I and II $4000
  Stanford 500 fiche $2425
  Purdue (Pattern Recognition and Image Processing) 145 reports $1365
  Maryland (Computer Vision) 313 reports $1750

Overview of Computer Vision

Tutorial on Lisp Iterative structures

Expert Systems for Executives

AI entering world of art (talks about computer graphics applications to art)

Russel H. Petersen is vice-president of marketing for Synthetic Vision Systems

Kurzweill announced a chip to recognize human speech.  This is part of
an effort to build a voice-typewriter.

FMC established an artificial intelligence center in Santa Clara
California.

Synthetic Vision Systems was formed to sell technology to inspect and validate
the manufacture of semiconductor products.

AI companies are forming in the following states in descending order by
employment level: California, Massachusetts, New York, Michigan,
Florida, New Jersey and Texas

Technical Reports from Rutgers University

CBM-TR-139 Localization Problems and Expert Systems Allen Ginsberg
  (discusses expert systems that handle localization problems as
   opposed to classification systems such as disease diagnosis)

CBM-TR-145 "Shift of Bias for Inductive Concept Learning" Paul E.
Utgoff.  $15.00

LCSR-TR-60 "Artificial Intellligence and The Social Sciences: A
Preliminary Report" Saul Amarel

LCSR-TR-61 "Knowledge Representation as the Basis for Requirements"
A. Borgida, S. Greenspan and J. Mylopoulous

LCSR-TR-62 "Introduction to the Comtex Microfiche Edition of the
Rutgers University Artificial Intelligence Research Reports" S. Amarel

LCSR-TR-64 "Leap: A Learning Apprentice for VLSI Design" T. M.
Mitchell, S. Mahadevan and L. I. Sternberg

LCSR-TR-65 "A Knowledge-Base Approach to Design", T. M. Mitchell, L. I.
Steinberg and J. S. Shulman (primarily concerned with VLSI design
issues)

LCSR-TR-66 "Verification-Based Learning: A Generalization Strategy for
Inferring Problem-Decomposition methods" S. Mahadaven.

Artificial Intelligence Reporter December-January 1985

Conference Announcements

The International Federation of Automatic Control
conference on Artificial Intelligence in Economics and Management

Robotics International of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers
Second Annual Robotic End Effector: Design and Applications Seminar on
March 19, 1985 at the Holiday Inn Livonia (detroit)

IEEE Computer Society on Robotics and Automation on March 25-28 1985 in
ST. Louis, Missouri

AT&T Bell Laboratories: Workshop on Artificial Intelligence in
Statistics AT&T Conference Center in Princeton NJ on Apr 15-16, 1985

Association Francaise d'Intelligence Artificielle et Systems de
Simulation in association with the Society of Manufactuirng Engineers
will present Intelligencia 85 at the Parc des Expositions, Porte de
Versailles, Paris May 21-24 1985

Robotics International of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers,
Robots 9 at Cobo Hall, Detroit, Michigan on June 3-6 1985

IEEE Comptuter Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern
Recognition, San Francisco June 9-13 1985

Robotics International of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers will
sponsor the 34d Canadian CAD/CAM and Robotics Exposition and Conference
at the International Society

IEEE Computer Society seminar on Logic Programming in Boston,
Massachusetts

The Institute for Computer Engineering Research in cooperation with
the Intelligent Computer Systems Research Institute of the University
of Miami is presenting ARTELL 85 at the Philadelphia Civic Center on
November 4-7 1985

The Computer and Automated Systems Asssociation of the Society of
Manufacturing Engineers (CASA/SME) are holding Mechatronics/Autofact
Japan 85 at the New Osaka Fairgrounds in Osaka, Japan November 25-28
1985

Also an article urging cooperation between OR and AI.

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 85 17:41 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Information on Xerox NoteCards

This description of the Xerox NoteCards system is a response to
inquiries that have recently appeared on several Arpanet discussion
lists.

A.  Background:   NoteCards is part of an ongoing research project in
the Intelligent Systems Lab at Xerox PARC investigating "idea
processing" tasks, such as interpreting textual information, structuring
ideas, formulating arguments, and authoring complex documents.  The
NoteCards system provides an on-line environment for carrying out this
research.  The principal reasearchers involved in this project are Frank
Halasz, Tom Moran, and Randy Trigg.

NoteCards is implemented in Interlisp-D and runs on the Xerox 1108
family of Lisp processors.

B.  The System:   NoteCards is intended primarily as an idea structuring
tool, but it can also be used as a fairly general database system for
loosely structured information.  The basic object in NoteCards is an
electronic note card containing an idea-sized unit of text, graphics,
images, or whatever.  Different kinds of note cards are defined in an
inheritance hierarchy of note card types (e.g., text cards, sketch
cards, query cards, etc.).  On the screen, multiple cards can be
simultaneously displayed, each one in a separate window having an
underlying editor appropriate to the card type.

Individual note cards can be connected to other note cards by
arbitrarily typed links, forming networks of related cards.  At present,
link types are simply labels attached to each link.  It is up to each
user to utilize the link types to organize the note card network.
Within a note card, a link is represented by a small, active icon.
Clicking with the mouse in the icon, retrieves the target card and
displays it on the screen.

NoteCards includes a filing mechanism built around a special type of
card called a FileBox.  In each FileBox are filed (i.e., linked by a
Filing link) zero or more note cards as well as zero or more other
FileBoxes.  FileBoxes serve as a kind of categorization hierarchy for
filing note cards by "topics".

Browser cards contain node-link diagrams (i.e., maps) of arbitrary
pieces of the note card network.  Each node in a Browser's node-link
diagram is an active icon that can be used to retrieve the indicated
card.  Spatially organized information is also available in the form of
Sketch cards that allow the user to lay out line drawings, text, and
link icons in an arbitrary, zoomable 2-D space.

NoteCards is an environment that integrates several packages already
available in the Interlisp-D system, e.g., TEdit, Grapher, and Sketch.
NoteCards has a full programmer's interface.  All of the functionality
in NoteCards is accessible through a set of well-documented Lisp
functions, allowing the user to create new types of note cards, develop
programs that monitor or process the note card network, and/or integrate
new Interlisp packages into the NoteCards environment.

C.  Research directions:   NoteCards was designed primarily as a
research vehicle.  The following are some of the research topics that we
are pursuing using the NoteCards system.

1)  User tailorability -- a system description language that a
non-programming user could edit in order to tailor the system to his or
her task and/or interaction style.

2)  Argumentation -- use of a "truth-maintenance" mechanism to help
users develop and manipulate alternative argument structures.

3)  Psychological issues --  investigations of the ways in which
NoteCards does or does not support real-world tasks.

4)  Visual summaries of large networks --  investigations of other ways
to display network maps, including fish-eye graphs, trimmed graphs, 3D
graphs, indented outline, etc.

5)  Multi-window management -- investigations of various abstractions
for building general multi-window management tools that take advantage
of inter-card dependencies.

6)  Querying networks of cards -- design of a querying interfaces that
allow users to ask questions about the contents and structure of a
network.

7)  Multiple user, interlinked NoteFiles -- providing distributed/shared
NoteFiles with links between different NoteFiles.

8) Alternative documents -- explore alternative document concepts, such
as guided tours (i.e., suggested paths through a network of cards).

9)  Text retrieval -- investigate several methods for doing text
retrieval based on full-text search and statistical matching.

10)  Object-oriented implementation -- we are investigating the
possibility of rewriting NoteCards in Loops.

D.  How to get more info:

A technical paper on Notecards is in progress.  For information about
the research issues surrounding NoteCards contact Halasz.pa@Xerox or
Trigg.pa@Xerox.

NoteCards is not at this time a Xerox product.  However, Xerox Special
Information System's Vista Laboratories offers a limited licensing
agreement aimed at distributing NoteCards to groups doing related
research (Contact: NoteCardsInfo.pasa@Xerox)

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 27-Feb-85 10:22:14-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Humour

Re: Kurzweil Data Entry Machine (Vol 3 # 10 and others)
Can this machine read bewteen the lines ?

Gordon Joly
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 1 Mar 85 08:58:01-MST
From: Stan Shebs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Analysis(?) of AIList Contents

Yesterday I culled through 1 1/2 years worth of saved and printed
AIList digests (about 3 inches thick).  The result was about 1/2 inch
of individual articles that are still of interest (mostly seminar
notices with abstracts) - about 16% of the original saved stuff.
Since I only printed out about 30% of the digests that actually came
by (the ones that were interesting when I read them), this works
out to approximately 5% of the total volume.  This is in accordance
with the general rule that "9x% of everything is b*llsh*t".  So
AIList is really not so bad, and the experimental technique has
been corroborated :-)

                                                stan shebs

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 18 February 1985 05:53:59 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Conference on AI in Engg.

                      CALL FOR PAPERS

     FIRST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON APPLICATIONS OF
      ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE TO ENGINEERING PROBLEMS
                          (AIEP)

The  purpose  of  this  conference is to provide a forum for
engineers all over the world to present their  work  on  the
applications   of  artificial  intelligence  to  engineering
problems.  The conference will be held from April 15-18 1986
at Southampton University, England and will be preceeded  by
tutorials in Expert systems and Robotics.

CONFERENCE THEMES

The  following  topics are suggested and other related areas
will be considered.

   - Computer-aided design
   - Computer-based training
   - Planning and Scheduling
   - Constraint Management
   - Intelligent Tutors
   - Expert systems
   - Knowledge representation
   - Learning
   - Natural language applications
   - Cognitive modelling of engineering problems
   - Robotics
   - Database interfaces
   - Graphical interfaces
   - Knowledge-based simulation
   - Design Modelling

CALL FOR PAPERS

Authors are invited to submit three copies  of  a  500  word
abstract.  The abstract should have enough details to permit
careful evaluation by  a  committee  consisting  of  renowed
experts  in  the  field. The abstracts should be accompained
with the following details:

   - Authors' address, name, affliation.  Indicate  the
     person to address all correspondence.
   - The  branch of engineering. If the paper addresses
     engineering in general, then should be categorized
     under GENERAL DESIGN.
   - The topic area.

TIME TABLE

Submission of Abstracts:  June 1st 1985

Notification of acceptance: August 1st 1985

Submission of Full Paper: November 1st 1985

INFORMATION

All abstracts should be sent to:
          Dr. R. Adey, General  Chairman, AIEP
          Computational Mechanics Centre
          Ashurst Lodge
          Southampton S04 2AA
          England

Inquires about exhibits, registration  should  be  addressed
to:
          Ms Elaine Taylor
          Computational Mechanics Centre
          Ashurst Lodge
          Southampton S04 2AA
          England

For more information in US contact:
          D. Sriram, Technical Chairman  AIEP
          Civil Engineering and Construction Robotics
                                Laboratories
          Department of Civil Engineering
          Carnegie-Mellon University
          Pittsburgh, PA 15213
          [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 85 13:13:12 EST
From: Chris Riesbeck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Workshop - Theoretical Issues in Conceptual Information Processing

                     *** Call for participants ***

                     The Second Annual Workshop on

                         Theoretical Issues in

                   Conceptual Information Processing

                             May 2-3, 1985

                 The Peabody Museum of Natural History
                            Yale University
                             New Haven, CT

This year's workshop will focus on new research into memory-based models
of planning, reasoning, natural language processing, learning, and other
issues in conceptual information processing.  The format will mix panels
and papers, with ample time for discussion  and  debate.    We  hope  to
foster  inter-laboratory  interaction,  with  a session devoted to "What
we're going to do, we think," including  research  plans  from  as  many
centers as possible.

Prospective  speakers  and  panel  leaders should contact Chris Riesbeck
immediately, and also submit, via  mail  or  netmail,  a  2  -  10  page
write-up,  for  distribution  at  the workshop, addressing the following
questions, if appropriate:

       What  specific  domains,  tasks,  and  examples   will   your
    laboratory be investigating in the next few years?

       What  theoretical  questions  are  involved?    How does this
    research fit in the overall picture? How  does  it  follow  from
    previous research?  What related topics are you NOT addressing?

Submission  deadline:  March 29.  Notification: April 8th.  Note: submit
earlier for an earlier response.

Rooms are being blocked at the Park Plaza hotel in downtown  New  Haven.
Information available from Donna Mauri.

    SUBMISSIONS:                      LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS:

    Christopher K. Riesbeck           Donna Mauri
    PO Box 2158, Yale Station         PO Box 2158, Yale Station
    Department of Computer Science    Department of Computer Science
    New Haven, CT   06520             New Haven, CT   06520

    Phone: (203) 436-0606             Phone: (203) 436-0606

    ArpaNet address: RIESBECK@YALE    ArpaNet address: MAURI@YALE

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 85 00:55:16 pst
From: Yigal Arens <[email-masked]>
Subject: Southern California AI Society

         Announcement of the Second General Meeting of SCAIS
         ===================================================

                                and

                        Call for Abstracts
                        ==================

The second general meeting of the Southern California AI Society will be
held on Monday, April 15 1985, at the University of Southern California.

The meeting will be devoted to the presentation of talks by members of the
local AI community.  The talks should discuss recent new research results,
as opposed to being general project descriptions.  Everyone interested in
giving a talk (graduate students greatly encouraged), or organizing a panel
discussion, should send a note containing:

        1. Title of the talk, or subject of panel
        2. General area of AI talk relates to (e.g. vision, natural lang.)
        3. Name, institution, phone number, net or USmail address
        4. Any audio-visual aids (besides transparency and slide projector)
           needed during presentation.
        5. Estimate of number of participants from your site.

to one of the following addresses:

ARPANET:  scais2%usc-cse@csnet-relay
CSNET:    scais2@usc-cse
USMAIL:   SCAIS-2
          c/o Yigal Arens
          Computer Science Department
          SAL 200
          University of Southern California
          Los Angeles, CA 90089-0782

This information should be sent as soon as possible, and should arrive no
later than March 25, 1985.  The abstracts themselves will be accepted until
April 8.  While there will be no refereeing of the submissions, time
constraints will probably require us to limit the number of presentations.
Chances are we will not be able to accommodate requests to speak that arrive
late.  We will try to provide at least 15-20 minutes per talk.

We anticipate there being some minor costs associated with the meeting, to
cover the "proceedings", lunch, snacks, etc.  These should amount to
no more than $15, exclusive of parking.

The number of parking spaces reserved for the meeting will be 120.  This
should be enough, but carpooling is encouraged nevertheless.

The next mailing will be sent on April 1, and will include precise location,
cost, parking arrangements, and schedule.

Yigal Arens
University of Southern California
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
(213) 743-7848

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI           7-MAR-1985 05:45  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a023153; 6 Mar 85 15:59 EST
Date: Wed  6 Mar 1985 09:03-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #30
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Thu, 7 Mar 85 05:39 EST

AIList Digest           Wednesday, 6 Mar 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 30

Today's Topics:
  Network Lists - New Software Engineering List,
  Seminars - Automated Ada Programming using Icons and Prolog (SU) &
    INTERNIST Scoring Schemes (SU) &
    Modelling Discourse Structure (UCB) &
    Semantic Prototyping System (Boston SICPLAN) &
    Language Comprehension (UCF) &
    A Reductionist Semantics (UCB) &
    Motivation Analysis (UCF) &
    Intuitionistic Logic (CMU) &
    Domains and Intuitionistic Logic (CMU),
  Conference - Evolution, Games, and Learning

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue 26 Feb 85 10:40:42-EST
From: Mark S. Day <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Soft-Eng List

SOFT-ENG@MIT-XX

 Soft-Eng is a list for discussion of software engineering and related topics,
 covering such areas as:

 Requirements 		Specification		Design
 Testing		Maintenance		Enhancement
 Languages		Methodologies		Tools
 Verification		Validation		Reliability
 Debugging		Testing			Testing Tools
 Error handling		Recovery		Programming Environments
 Modelling		Documentation		Extensibility
 Practices		Standards		Protection mechanisms
 Portability		Complexity		Performance
 Software science	Management		Cost estimation
 Productivity		Rapid prototyping	Reusable software
 Professional ethics	Configuration mgmt.	Quality assurance	
 Staffing		Systems analysis 	Training & education	
 Human factors		Software: legal issues	Real-time systems	
 Hardware/software tradeoffs			Software fault-tolerance

 Any and all contributions are welcome (e.g. questions, ideas, "war stories", 
 proposals, humor, abstracts, conference reports, bibliographies, problems,
 reviews, tutorials, solutions, planned or completed projects).

 The list is currently unmoderated, but may become a digest if the volume of 
 mail warrants it.  

 All requests to be added to or deleted from this list, problems, questions, 
 etc., should be sent to Soft-Eng-Request@MIT-XX.

[Rather than compete with this list, I shall no longer forward items
about programming languages, environments, man-machine interfaces, etc.,
unless they relate specifically to AI and information science.  LISP
and PROLOG articles will still be carried in AIList, of course.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 85  0933 PST
From: Rosemary Brock <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Automated Ada Programming using Icons and Prolog (SU)

       [Forwarded from the Stanford AI bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

TITLE:   "CAEDE - Carleton Embedded System Design Environment - An
          Experimental Design Environment for Ada Using Icons and Prolog"

SPEAKER: Professor Ray Buhr
         Department of Systems and Computer Engineering
         Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada.

PLACE:   ERL 401, Monday Feb. 25th, 2:30 pm.

This informal talk will  provide an overview  of CAEDE's approach,  status
and capabilities.  With CAEDE, multitasking design structures are  entered
iconically on the screen of a SUN workstation, using a notation  described
in the speaker's "System Design With Ada" book (PH, 1984).  The structures
are automatically converted  into Prolog facts.   Prolog programs  process
these facts to generate  skeleton Ada programs  and to perform  structural
and temporal analysis of the  designs represented by the facts.   Temporal
analysis is based on Prolog descriptions of the temporal properties of the
Ada rendezvous and  of the  temporal behaviour  of tasks.   The talk  will
describe the iconic interface and the nature of the Prolog representations
and tools.   CAEDE  is  part  of  a  research  program  at  Carleton  into
environments and tools  for embedded  real time  systems, with  particular
emphasis on communication protocol systems.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 1 Mar 85 11:46:00-PST
From: Alison Grant <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - INTERNIST Scoring Schemes (SU)

       [Forwarded from the Stanford AI bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                Medical Information Sciences Colloquium
                        Tuesday, March 5, 1985
                  Stanford University Medical Center
                             Room M-106
                          1:15 - 1:45 P.M.

Speaker: David Heckerman

Title: Probabilistic Interpretation of Two Ad Hoc Scoring Schemes

I will present a new formulation of Bayes' theorem with the usual
assumptions that evidence is conditionally independent and that
hypotheses are mutually exclusive and exhaustive.  Within this
formulation, I define a quantity called the Measure of Confirmation
(MC).  I will show that MC's satisfy all the axioms of MYCIN's
certainty factors.  I will also show that a quantity closely related
to MC behaves similarly to the weighting factors in the INTERNIST-1
scoring scheme.  Thus, a probabilistic interpretation will be provided
for these two evidence combination schemes that have been labeled
ad hoc.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 85 16:03:04 pst
From: chertok%ucbcogsci@Berkeley (Paula Chertok)
Subject: Seminar - Modelling Discourse Structure (UCB)

                 BERKELEY LINGUISTICS LUNCHBAG COLLOQUIUM

                    DAY:    Thursday March 7, 1985
                    TIME:   11 - 12:30
                    PLACE:  200 Bldg. T-4

SPEAKER:   Dr. Livia Polanyi, English Department, University of Amsterdam;
           BBN Laboratories
TITLE:     ``Modelling Discourse Syntactic and Semantic Structure''

ABSTRACT:  The ultimate goal of the research to be discussed is to characterize
the structural and semantic relationships obtaining among individual clauses in
natural discourse. In this talk,a formal linguistic model of discourse structure
will be sketched which is designed to account for the ability of language users
to  assign proper semantic  interpretations  to clauses  in naturally occurring
interactively constructed talk despite the interruptions, resumptions, repairs,
and other disfluencies which characterize performance.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 1985 00:08:40-EST
From: psm@Mitre-Bedford
Subject: Seminar - Semantic Prototyping System (Boston SICPLAN)

    Boston SICPLAN (Special Interest Committee on Programming Languages) is
a local affiliate of the ACM SIGPLAN group and vaguely associated with and
chartered by the Greater Boston area chapter of the ACM.  It normally meets
once a month, usually on the first Thursday, almost always at 8 p.m., and
normally at either BBN or Intermetrics.  Its talks are often of interest
to people working in the fields of programming languages and compilers,
environments, artificial intelligence, and data/knowledge base management.
[...]

                  ACM GREATER BOSTON CHAPTER SICPLAN

                       Thursday, March 7, 1985
                                8 P.M.

                         Intermetrics Atrium
                     733 Concord Ave., Cambridge

                    A Semantic Prototyping System

                            Mitchell Wand
              Indiana University and Brandeis University

    Denotational  semantics  seems  to  be  a  useful language  for
  specifying the  behavior of programming languages.  The talk will
  describe a set of computer  programs  that Dr. Wand developed for
  testing and exercising programming language specifications  given
  in this  style.   It will also give an introduction to the method
  of denotational semantics and an overview of how  these tools can
  be used to construct rapid prototypes of programming languages.

  Our March speaker, Mitch Wand, is one of the leading innovators
in applying formal methods to language design and the analysis of
programs and language  systems.   He  is  spending  the  year  at
Brandeis University, on leave from  the  University  of  Indiana,
where he is a professor.  [...]

  Our  group   customarily  meets  for  dinner  at  Joyce  Chen's
restaurant, 390 Rindge Ave., Cambridge at 6:00 P.M. (just  before
the meeting).  If you wish to come,  please call Carolyn Elson at
Intermetrics  661-1840  as early as possible so we can  make  the
appropriate dinner reservation.

                     Peter Mager
                     chairperson, Boston SICPLAN

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 85 18:31:45 est
From: "Robert C. Bethel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Language Comprehension (UCF)

Date & Time: Tuesday - April 9, 1985 at 6pm.
Location   : Computer Center II, Rm #103
             University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida.
Speaker    : Eugene Charniak

Subject    : Language Comprehension from an
             Artificial Intelligence Perspective

In the first half of this talk will review the work which has been done
on language comprehension within the Artificial Intelligence Community.
Despite the often heated controversy surrounding the area, there is,
in fact, agreement on what the basic model must look like.  Furthermore
this model is not, except in retrospect, a completely obvious one.

Unfortunately, in retrospect the model is rather obvious, and offers
little real guidance for someone trying to build such a system.
In the second part of the lecture will suggest how the model should be
extended to answer some of the problems left open in the consensus version.
This will include issues such as the relative importance of syntax and
semantics, limits on inference, and the role of logic.

Robert C. Bethel
University of Central Florida
uucp: {duke,decvax,akgua}!ucf-cs!bethel
ARPA: [email-masked]
csnet: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 85 17:54:05 pst
From: chertok%ucbcogsci@Berkeley (Paula Chertok)
Subject: Seminar - A Reductionist Semantics (UCB)

                          BERKELEY COGNITIVE SCIENCE PROGRAM
                                     Spring 1985
                         Cognitive Science Seminar -- IDS 237B

                 TIME:                Tuesday, March 12, 11:00 - 12:30
                 PLACE:               240 Bechtel Engineering Center
                 (followed by)
                 DISCUSSION:          12:30 - 1:30 in 200 Building T-4

            SPEAKER:        Ned Block, CSLI and MIT
            TITLE:          ``A Reductionist Semantics''

            There are two quite different families of approaches to  seman-
            tics:  REDUCTIONIST  approaches  attempt  to  characterize  the
            semantic in non-semantic terms NON-REDUCTIONIST approaches  are
            more  concerned  with  relations  among  meaningS than with the
            nature of meaning itself.  The non-reductionist approaches  are
            the  more  familiar  ones  (eg,  Montague, the model- theoretic
            aspect of situation semantics, Davidson, Katz).  The reduction-
            ist approaches come in 4 major categories:

            1. Theories that reduce meaning to the mental (This is what  is
            common  to  Grice  and  Searle).  2. Causal semantics--theories
            that see semantic values as derived from causal chains  leading
            from  the  world  to our words.  (Field's combination of Kripke
            and Tarski) 3. Indicator semantics--theories that  see  natural
            and non-natural meaning as importantly similar.  Their paradigm
            of meaning is the way the rings on the tree stump represent the
            age  of  the tree when cut down. (Dretske/Stampe) 4. Functional
            role semantics--theories that see meaning in terms of the func-
            tional  role  of  linguistic expressions in thought, reasoning,
            and planning, and in general in the way  they  mediate  between
            sensory inputs and behavioral outputs.

            After sketching the difference  between  the  reductionist  and
            non-reductionist  approaches,  I  will focus on functional role
            semantics, a view that has independently arisen  in  philosophy
            (where  its  sources are Wittgenstein's idea of meaning as use,
            and pragmatism) and cognitive science (where  it  is  known  as
            procedural semantics).

            Instead of devoting the talk to trying to answer  certain  well
            known  criticisms of functionalist views, I will concentrate on
            what one particular version of the doctrine can DO (if the cri-
            ticisms  can  be answered): viz., illuminate acquisition of and
            knowledge of meaning, principles of  charity,  how  meaning  is
            relevant  to  explanation  of behavior, the intrinsic/observer-
            relative distinction, the  relation  between  meaning  and  the
            brain,  and  the relativity of meaning to representational sys-
            tem.  The point is to give a sense of the fertility  and  power
            of the view, and so to provide a rationale for working on solu-
            tions to its problems.  Finally, I will sketch some reasons  to
            prefer  functional  role  semantics  to  the other reductionist
            theories.

            A copy of a paper which the talk draws on will be in the cogni-
            tive science library.

            UPCOMING ELSEWHERE ON CAMPUS

            Andy diSessa (Computer Science Lab at MIT) will be speaking on
            ``Knowledge  in  Pieces:   Intuitive  Knowledge  in Physics and
            Other Things'' at 4pm on Friday, March 8, in  the  Beach  Room,
            third floor, Tolman Hall.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 85 18:31:45 est
From: "Robert C. Bethel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Motivation Analysis (UCF)

Date & Time: Wednesday - April 10, 1985  (time - to be announced on tuesday)
Location   : Computer Center II, Rm #103
             University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida.
Speaker    : Eugene Charniak

Subject    : Motivation Analysis, Abductive Unification,
             and Non-monotonic Equality

Motivation analysis in story comprehension requires matching an action
mentioned in the story against actions which might be predicted by possible
explanitory motivations.  This matching requires matching constants from
the story against skolem functions in the possible motivations (assuming a
normal first order representation of stories, plans, etc.).  We will show
that extending unification to allow for unifying two things if they are
non-monotonically equal does exactly what is needed in such cases.  We also
show that such a procedure allows for a clean method of noun-phrase reference
determination.

Robert C. Bethel
University of Central Florida
uucp: {duke,decvax,akgua}!ucf-cs!bethel
ARPA: [email-masked]
csnet: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 1985 0903-EST
From: Lydia Defilippo <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Intuitionistic Logic (CMU)

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Speaker:  Dana Scott
Date:     Wednesday, March 6
Time:     2:00
Place:    2105 DH
Topic:    Intuitionistic logic and some models

        Abstract: The lambda calculus as usually presented is an equational
        theory, but it is also supposed to be a theory of functions.  One
        way to understand its scope is to discuss models for lambda
        calculus in intuitionistic logic and to relate it to the notion of
        function appropriate within that framework.  However, this first
        talk will be just about intuitionistic logic and some of its
        interpretations.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 1985 0904-EST
From: Lydia Defilippo <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Domains and Intuitionistic Logic (CMU)

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Speaker:  Dana Scott
Date:     Monday, March 11
Time:     2:00
Place:    324 Scaife Hall
Topic:    Domains and intuitionistic logic (I)

        Abstract: Kleene's realizability interpretation in one very
        explicit approach to intuitionistic logic.  The basics of the
        interpretation will be discussed, and it will be explained how
        computability theory gets a logical form.  In particular, the
        effectively given domains become just sets (of a special kind).
        Some results from McCarty and others on realizability will be
        explained.  The way domain models for lambda calculus behave from
        this point of view will also be discussed.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 85 09:27:39 mst
From: [email-masked] (Burton Wendroff)
Subject: Conference - Evolution, Games, and Learning

        [Forwarded by Golub@SU-SCORE and Buchanan@SUMEX-AIM.]

               CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Title - EVOLUTION, GAMES, AND LEARNING: Adaptation in Machines and Nature

Date - May 20 - 24, 1985

Place - Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico

Topics include - biological evolution, deterministic and random
        automata, learning algorithms, neural networks, computer
        game programs, game theory, allocation mechanisms,
        and brain function.

Speakers include - J. ANDERSON, H. BERLINER, M. CONRAD, J. H. CONWAY,
J. D. COWAN, M. DAVIS, J. L. DENEUBOURG, M. W. FELDMAN, P. FREY, I. J. GOOD,
J. H. HOLLAND, J. HOPFIELD, B. HUBERMAN, S. KAUFFMAN, S. KIRKPATRICK,
N. PACKARD, S. REITER, G.-C. ROTA, A. SAMUEL, P. SCHUSTER, T. J. SEJNOWSKI,
J. MAYNARD SMITH, J. W. VALENTINE, L. G. VALIANT, S. WOLFRAM

Registration fee - $50

Contact - For registration information and forms write or call

        Evolution, Games ,and Learning
        Los Alamos National Laboratory
        P. O. Box 1663, MS-B258
        Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
        Tel. 505-667-1444

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI           8-MAR-1985 23:53  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a018639; 8 Mar 85 20:11 EST
Date: Fri  8 Mar 1985 10:22-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #31
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 8 Mar 85 23:51 EST

AIList Digest             Friday, 8 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 31

Today's Topics:
  AI Tools - OPS5 Systems & XLISP and Betz & Prolog in Dr. Dobb's Journal,
  Literature - Dreyfus and Commonsense Reasoning &
      History of Ideas in Computer Science,
  Linguistics - Wally & Y'all & Youse,
  AI Literature - The Artificial Intelligence Report,
  Seminar - Structural Change Through Experience (Rutgers),
  Course -- Cognitive Architecture (SU)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 85 15:07:34 pst
From: susan@aids-unix (Susan Rosenbaum)
Subject: OPS5 Systems

  I am looking for pointers to any public domain systems
written in OPS5.  Please reply directly to me.
  Thanks!

    Susan Rosenbaum
     (susan@aids)

------------------------------

Date: Mon 4 Mar 85 14:04:15-CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: XLISP and Betz

XLISP 1.4 is available via FTP at sumex-aim (login anonymous) on the
<info-mac> directory.  Documentation is also available there.  The source
code will soon (and may already) be available there, too.  I think all of
this is also on net.sources as well.  David Betz is eager to get XLISP
distributed and can be contacted via
  Betz@Havard or cornell!packard!havard!betz@uw-beaver

Dallas Webster
Burroughs Austin Research Center

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27-Feb-85 07:34:37 PST
From: decvax!mcnc!BTS@Berkeley
Subject: Prolog in Dr. Dobb's Journal

  [Forwarded from the Prolog Digest by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Dr. Dobb's Journal for March is a "Special Prolog
Issue".  Only three articles on Prolog, but there
are lots of ads about Prologs for small systems.

-- Bruce T. Smith

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 1985 0853-EST (Tuesday)
From: dndobrin@mit-aphrodite (David N Dobrin)
Subject: Common-sense reasoning

About the request from arora@buffalo.

Don't forget about Bert Dreyfus's discussion of common-sense reasoning
and the problems it poses in principle for AI.  Still the best.

     Hubert L. Dreyfus.  What Computers Can't Do.  2nd ed., 1979.
                Harper&Row

                                        David Dobrin

------------------------------

Date: Mon 4 Mar 85 09:09:57-PST
From: C.S./Math Library <[email-masked]>
Subject: History of Ideas in Computer Science

  [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.  This was in
  response to a query about the history of ideas in computer science.]

If you are interested in doing research in the history of ideas in computer
science, you are going to not only want to search the computer science
literature but the history of science literature and the sociology of
science literature.  History of science is a growing field.  Berkeley is
strong in this area.  An example of the type of articles and journals
you might be interested in is the journal Sociology of the Sciences (this
is in the Green Library) which in 1982 has an article titled "Development
and Establishment in Artificial Intelligence".

Harry Llull

------------------------------

Date: Mon 4 Mar 85 10:19:28-PST
From: Henry E. Lowood <[email-masked]>
Subject: History of ideas in computer science

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

It sounds to me like what you want is a general overview of the history
of computer science.  If that's the case, I would recommend:

Herman Goldstine,
        The computer from Pascal to Von Neumann
        TK7885.A564 in the Math Library and elsewhere on campus.

Or, for a far less technical approach:

Joel Shurkin,
        Engines of the mind.
        QA7617.S49 in Math, Green, etc.

It may interest you to know that the Stanford Libraries are starting up a
historical project to document specifically the history of science and
technology at Stanford and in the Silicon Valley since World War II.  This
will take many years, of course.

In fact, I'd appreciate online mail from anyone who might be interested
in contributing in some way to this project.

Henry Lowood
Bibliographer for History of Science and Technology Collections, SU

------------------------------

Date: Monday,  4-Mar-85 20:53:48-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re :Wally

For all potential wallies, there is a manual for your edification !
       `How to be Wally' by Paul Manning, published in the U.K. by
Futura Books.
But what about the song `La Wally' in the French film, `Diva' ?

Gordon Joly
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 85 13:08:26 mst
From: [email-masked] (Charlie Sorsby)
Subject: Y'alls

Actually, I think you will find, if you pursue it, that the "y'alls"
that you overheard is actually the possesive form of y'all (i.e. y'all's).
As in "Is that y'all's car?"

Charlie Sorsby
...!lanl!crs
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 85 09:18 EST
From: D E Stevenson <[email-masked]>
Subject: More on y'all.

Just to add more fuel to the fire.  In the mountain regions of the Piedmont
(SC-NC), the locals use "y'all" for singular and "all y'all" for the
plural.  Really - I kid you not.

steve

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday,  6-Mar-85 15:53:15-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Youse - The Last Word

It seems that the term `youse' is not the plural of `you',
it is a form of address.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 7 Mar 85 08:44:14-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: The Artificial Intelligence Report

Ted Markowitz recently asked about newsletters.  I have never
seen most of them.  I have seen a copy of The Artificial
Intelligence Report, however, and I've decided to pass
along, with permission, its description of previous issues.
This may be compared to the contents of some issues of
the Artificial Intelligence Reporter that Laurence Leff
described in AIList V3 N29.

The Artificial Intelligence Report that I have seen contains
10 pages of text (set in 9-inch by 3-inch columns of 12-point
type) along with several pages of publisher's messages and
administrative notes.  (This issue may have contained more
self-advertising than most since it was distributed in a mass
mailing to potential subscribers.)  The news portion described
past and current research at SRI International.

The following are the topics covered in back issues of The
Artificial Intelligence Report.  I'm told that back issues
are still available, but I don't know the price.

Premier Issue
The U.S. Pavilion at Tsukuba Japan -- it's theme: AI; The
Companies: Carnegie Group, Syntelligence; a list of new AI
companies; Foreign AI R&D.

Vol. 1,  No. 1,  January, 1984
Digital Equipment Corporation's new Artificial Intelligence
Technology Center plus a definition of two classic working
expert  systems developed for DEC at Carnegie-Mellon
University:  EXCON  and EXSEL;  An examination of GE's
DELTA/CATS-1 locomotive  maintenance system now being field
tested; Artificial  Intelligence research at Edinburgh
University;  An identification  of four AI companies:
Thinking Machines Corp., Inference, Corp.,  Data Base
Informatica (Italy) and Intelligenetics;  A list of
inexpensive AI titles.

Vol. 1,  No. 2,  February, 1984
The U.S.Department of Defense's AI goals:  The Defense
Department's Advanced Research Projects Agency's objectives;
AI activity in the U.S. Air Force, Army and Navy.

Vol. 1,  No. 3,  March, 1984
AI and the Personal Computer: Expert systems, natural
language,  LISP;  A look at Perceptronics, an AI company; AI
and the CIA.

Vol. 1,  No. 4,  April, 1984
Reviews of the U.S. National Science Foundation's
supercomputer  report, the System Development Foundation and
the Alvey Report:  Great Britain's strategy for meeting the
Fifth Generation  Computing Challenge; AI at Arthur D. Little
and at Sussex University.

Vol. 1,  No. 5,  May, 1984
Artificial Intelligence at the University of California at
Los  Angeles;  an update on the European Economic
Community's ESPRIT project; a look at two companies now
commercializing natural language understanding systems:
Artificial Intelligence Corporation and Frey Associates; AI
Titles; an evaluation of a number of robotics periodicals.

Vol. 1,  No. 6,  June, 1984
The AI Machines: LISP Machines/AI Workstations: The Xerox
1100,  LISP Machine Inc.'s LAMBDA, the PERQ Machine, the
Symbolics 3600;  AI Titles.

Vol. 1,  No. 7,  July, 1984
The Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation;
The  Robotics/Artificial Intelligence Database;
Syntelligence; AI as an Investment;  AI at FMC; AI Titles.

Vol. 1,  No. 8,  August, 1984
AI Companies: Teknowledge, The Carnegie Group; An
Established  Company's New AI Center: FMC; a new PROLOG
company: QUINTUS; AI at the University of Texas; Robotics
Titles.

Vol. 1,  No. 9,  September, 1984
AI at AT&T Bell Labs; French AI Companies including Cap
Gemini  Sogeti; Expert Systems Reviews; Robotics Reviews;
AAAI-84: A Summary.

Vol. 1,  No. 10,  October, 1984
Carnegie-Mellon University's Intelligent Systems Laboratory;
The  Companies: Symantec, an update, the Tektronix 4404
Machine,  Infologics of Sweden; Machine Translation: Where
is it? Where can  it go? AI Titles; Review of a new Expert
Systems Directory.

Vol. 1,  No. 11,  November, 1984
The Fifth Generation Computer:  Japan's FGCS Project, The
Fifth  Generation Challenge: ACM-84, Fifth Generation
Titles; Japanese  AI Companies: CSK and NEXSYS, AI at
Boeing.

Vol. 1,  No. 12,  December, 1984
AI at Texas Instruments; the MIT AI Lab; Commercializing
Speech  Recognition: Kurzweil, Inc.; Japan's ICOT
Conference; Alvey and  ICOT: A Cooperative Relationship.

Vol. 2, No. 1, January, 1985
SRI International:  The AI Center, The Robotics Laboratory,
The Advanced Information Technology Applications Center, The
Advanced Computer Systems Department, The Financial Expert
Systems Program, SRI's Expert System for the PC, The SRI AI
Consultants, SRI's AI Reports.

Vol. 2, No. 2, February, 1985
AI and the Personal Computer: the Word from Esther Dyson; The
New U.S. Air Force AI Consortium; The Companies:  Cognitive
Systems, Inc., the Knowledge Systems Center at Sperry, Inference
joins Lockheed; The Reports; Titles: an AI and Robotics Series,
a review of books on Expert Systems.

Vol. 2, No. 3, March, 1985
AI in Outer Space: NASA's AI Program; LISP on the PC: TLC LISP,
GCLISP; Expert Systems: the Number One Topic; Aboard Japanese
Ships; New Affiliations: at DEC, at Sumitomo.

This newsletter was the first one mentioned in AIList.  Since
that time, it has moved from Los Altos to:

    Artificial Intelligence Publications
    Suite Three
    3600 West Bayshore Road
    Palo Alto, CA  94303 - 4229
    U. S. A.
   (415) 424-1447

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 85 18:34:06 EST
From: John <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Structural Change Through Experience (Rutgers)

                       MACHINE LEARNING COLLOQUIUM

Date:           March 8th, Friday
Time:           11:00 am - 12:30 pm
Place:          Hill 423
Speaker:        Robert W. Lawler
Affliation:     GTE Laboratories, Inc.
Title:          STRUCTURAL CHANGE THROUGH EXPERIENCE

Drawing on data from an empirical study and computer based simulations, I will
explore some problems and tentative solutions arising from the issue of how
specific knowledge structures can change through interactions based on
particular experience.  The domain is Tictactoe.

A knowledge structure is here represented as having three parts: a Goal, a
sequence of actions for achieving the goal, and a set of constraints upon
execution of those actions (GAC).  Simulations played with such structures
lead to winning and losing games, which in turn leads to the generation of new
structures as modifications of the current GACs.  Learning varies with the
flexibility of the opponent's play.  Subject to certain limitations, I explore
completely certain classes of strategic play.  The most interesting result is
a characterization of play against a moderately flexible opponent, through
which the sequences of derivation of individual GACs can be seen in overview
as folding together into a richly connected network of generability.  The
network, summarizing the learnability of strategies, varies with the
flexability of the opponent.

Current work on experience motivated analogy and the inception of multi-role
and interiorized play will be discussed.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 5 Mar 85 13:46:39-PST
From: Paul Rosenbloom <[email-masked]>
Subject: New cs/psych course -- Cognitive Architecture

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

The following new spring course was inadvertantly omitted from the
spring time schedule.  The course is intended for graduate students
and advanced undergraduates in both psychology and computer science.

                            COGNITIVE ARCHITECTURE

An  examination  of  the issues involved in designing a cognitive architecture.
Topics include the role of the architecture in the construction  of  a  general
artificially-intelligent  system, the role of the architecture as a large-scale
psychological model, existing (and proposed) cognitive architectures,  and  the
evaluation  of  architectures.   Prerequisites: Advanced undergraduate standing
and either Psychology 106, Computer Science 223, or equivalent experience.

Course Number: Psych 223/CS 325
Times: MW 10:00 - 11:15, Jordan 100
Units: 3
Instructor: Paul Rosenbloom

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	COMSAT         13-MAR-1985 11:16  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a002082; 11 Mar 85 16:11 EST
Date: Mon 11 Mar 1985 10:39-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #32
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Wed, 13 Mar 85 11:10 EST

AIList Digest            Monday, 11 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 32

Today's Topics:
  Bindings - Australasia,
  Conference - IJCAI-87 Election and Site Selection &
    Proposals Solicited for Sites for IJCAI-89,
  Lab Description - Research on ICAI at ARI,
  AI Literature - Stanford Library Acquisitions & Recent Articles,
  Opinion - AI Aims,
  Seminars - Japanese Research Environment (MIT) &
    Synthesis In Design (CMU) &
    Storing LISP Structures in a Database (IBM-SJ)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 10 Mar 85 21:40:24 EST
From: stacey (martin stacey) @ cmu-psy-a
Subject: Australasia

        I'd like to find out who is doing what sorts of AI and
cognitive science in Australia and New Zealand. If you are working
in Australia or New Zealand, or know of people doing AI there, please
send me pointers (names and departments).
        Thanks in advance,
                                        Martin Stacey
                                        [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 85 17:59:00 est
From: bellcore!walker@Berkeley (Don Walker)
Subject: IJCAI-87 Election and Site Selection

IJCAI-87 Officer Election and Site Selection

The Trustees of the International Joint Conferences on Artificial
Intelligence, Inc. are pleased to announce that Alan Bundy, University
of Edinburgh, will be Conference Chair for IJCAI-87; John McDermott,
Carnegie-Mellon University, will be Program Chair; and Milan will be
the site, with Marco Somalvico of the University of Milan being
responsible for Local Arrangements.  The conference will be held
23-29 August 1987 (Sunday through Saturday).

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 85 18:01:38 est
From: bellcore!walker@Berkeley (Don Walker)
Subject: Proposals solicited for sites for IJCAI-89

The site for IJCAI-89 will be selected at the IJCAI-85 in Los Angeles
this summer (18-24 August).  Proposals--for North American locations
only (in accordance with the IJCAI practice of alternating between
North America and other parts of the world; IJCAI-87 will be held in
Milan, Italy)--should be sent by 1 August 1985 to Don Walker, IJCAII
Secretary-Treasurer, Bell Communications Research, 435 South Street,
Morristown, NJ 07960.  Note that AAAI will cosponsor the conference
and that the AAAI Office will coordinate local arrangements activities
and support the local committee.

Proposals should respond to the following criteria, which were developed
by the IJCAII Trustees to govern site selection:

1. Local AI Group Support: strength of local AI activity; quality and
breadth of the proposed local arrangements group; potential beneficial
impact of an IJCAI on local activity.

2. Site Accessibility: ease of access for the international AI community
via air and train transportation; convenient access to social centers.

3. Conference Facilities: ability to accommodate 5,000-10,000 people,
with a hall for plenary sessions that can hold the full number and 5-6
rooms for 1,000-2,000 each.

4. Residences and Catering: a range of accommodations from dormitories
to good quality hotels in sufficient quantities and proximity to the
conference site; catering services for meals, breaks, banquets, and
receptions are required.

5. Site Attractiveness: pleasantness of surrounding environment; local
social and cultural attractions for attendees and families.

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 85 16:13:00 EST
From: psotka@ari-hq1
Reply-to: <psotka@ari-hq1>
Subject: Research on ICAI at ARI

The Army Research Institute has begun a program of research on
intelligent tutoring systems for application to Army training and
instruction in schools and in the field.  The Army has an enormous
need for high quality training in diverse technical fields --
electronics, vehicle mechanics, radar, aviation -- as well as basic
cognitive skills and decision support systems. The initial research
focus is on Intelligent Computer Aided Instruction and related topics
(such as learning, knowledge representation, explanation systems,
mental models, natural language, and direct manipulation interfaces,
reactive environments, inspectable simulations, etc.). The
computational environment is well supported with a variety of micros
(Macs & PC_ATs) as well as 3 Xerox 1108s, 1 1100, and 2 Vaxes.
Currently four professionals (cognitive science, computer science, and
psychology) have sole access to the 4 Lisp machines.  A significant
proportion of time is also spent on developing and monitoring research
contracts, making presentations to Army groups, and discussing needs
and the possibility of applying artificial intelligence techniques and
tools to the various problems Army schools and institutions have
defined.  Anyone interested in obtaining more information about these
activities is encouraged to call, or send mail or Arpanet to:

Joseph Psotka,
Army Research Institute
5001 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, Va.  22333-5600

(202)274-5540/5565

Psotka@ARI-HQ1

------------------------------

Date: Fri 8 Mar 85 21:27:33-PST
From: C.S./Math Library <[email-masked]>
Subject: Latest Math & CS Library "New Reports List" posted on-line.

         [Forwarded from the Stanford BBoard by Laws@SRI-AI.
         This is a reminder that the online new reports list
         is a gold mine of computer science citations -- you
         just have to apply your own screening criteria to
         separate the gold from the dross.  -- KIL]

The latest Math & Computer Science Library "New Reports List" has been
posted on-line.  The file is:

               <LIBRARY>NEWTRS at SCORE
               <LIBRARY>NEWTRS at SIERRA
               NEWTRS[LIB,DOC] at SAIL
               <CSD-REPORTS>NEWTRS at SUMEX
               <CSM.LIBRARIAN>NEWTRS at TURING.

In case you miss a reports list, the old lists are being copied to

               <LIBRARY>OLDTRS at SCORE
               <LIBRARY>OLDTRS at SIERRA
               <CSM.LIBRARIAN>OLDTRS at TURING

where they will be saved for about six months.  [...]

The library receives technical reports from over a hundred universities
and other institutions.  The current batch includes - among others -
reports from:

      Carnegie-Mellon University. Department of Computer Science.
      General Motors Corporation. Research Laboratories. Computer Science
        Department.
      Mathematisch Centrum. Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica.
      Rutgers. Department of Computer Science.
      Rutgers. Laboratory for Computer Science Research.
      Universitaet Hamburg. Fachbereich Informatik.
      U.K. National Physical Laboratory. Division of Information Technology
        and Computing.
      University of Arizona. Department of Computer Science.
      University of California, Berkeley. Operations Research Center.
      University of Edinburgh. Department of Artificial Intelligence.
      University of Edinburgh. Department of Computer Science.
      University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Department of Computer
        Science.
      University of Saskatchewan. Department of Computational Science.
      University of Waterloo. Department of Computer Science.
      University of Wisconsin, Madison. Computer Sciences Department.

                                        - Richard Manuck
                                          Math & Computer Science Library
                                          Building 380 - 4th Floor
                                          LIBRARY at SCORE

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 1985 08:36-CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent Articles

Electronics Week, February 25, 1985

Hewlett Packard will be donating $50,000,000 worth of hardware and
software to various universities.  These systems will be HP 9000 series
systems running HPRL.  HPRL
  - rule based reasoning systems and representational languages
  - can call C, Fortran and Pascal
  - runs on HP's portable, the Integral Personal Computer
  - applications have been written in this system for semiconductor
         fabrication, troubleshooting, office autoamtion, and natural
         language understanding
  - runs under UNIX

Electronic News, March 4, 1985 Volume 31 No. 1539 Page 1

As you may know, Texas Instruments's Explorer was based on the NuMachine
bus and machine design.  They were selling a 68010 based version of this
as a high-end engineering workstation.  They are not pursuiing that
market.  This does not effect its operations in selling the TI Explorer
which is based on the same bus.  They are also negotiating to sell
nonexclusive rights to the workstation to Lisp Machine.

IEEE Software March 1985 Page 101

Reprint of an article printed in the New York Times on efforts to use
Aymara, an ancient Peruvian Indian language, as an aid in natural
language translation efforts.

EDN Career News January 1985, page 1
Artificial Intelligence and the Military

ComputerWorld Page 47 February 18, 1985
"Semantics Muddling AI Issues"

International Journal of Man Machine Studies Volume 21 No 3 Sept 1984

An Economical Approach to Modeling Speech Recognition Accuracy 191

An Analysis of Formal Logic as Inference Method in Expert System 213

Users and Experts in the Document Retrieval System Model 245

An Experimental Expert System for Genetics 249

Angewandte Informatik No 11 Nov 84
Design of a Corporate Know-how Database 471

Electronics Week Volume 57 No 36
AI Transforms CAD/CAM to CIM J. R. Lineback

IEEE PAMI Volume 6, Number 6 November 84
Parallel Branch and Bound Formulations for AND/OR Tree Search 768

Computer Aided Design Volume 16 no 5 1985

Wirewrap Design Aid written in Prolog 249

Two algorithms for three-layer channel routing 264

Robotics and Artificial Intelligence
NATO Advanced SND/ES INSTITUTES, Series F
Computer and System Sciences Volume 11
Springer-Verlag 693 pages $62.50

Advances in Computer Vision and Image Processing Volume 1
Image Reconstruction from Incomplete Observations
T. S. Huang JAI Press $52.50

Technology Review Volume 88 No 1 January 85

Automated Factory-Vision and Reality
J. Blumenthal, J. Dray pp 28

The Automated Factory-View from Shop Floor
H. Shaiken pp 16

Research and Development Volume 26 No 10 October 1984
Artificial Perception gives super vision 142

Nauchno-Tekhinicheskaya Informatsiya
Seriya II - Informatsionnye Protsessy I Sistemy Volume 11 1984

Importance of the Expert Information System Developing in Informatics
R. S. Gilyarevskii 1

Some Semantic and Syntax Problems of the PSM Method of Automatic
Hypothesis Outcome O. M. Anshakov, D. P. Skvortsov, J. K. Finn 5

Nonheritibility of Empirical Contradicitons in DSM-methods and
Non-Monotonic Logic
M. I. Zabezhailo 14

Program Realization of Automatic Hypothesis Outcomes of DSM Methods
with Non-Single Element Criterion Sites
M. A. Mikheenkova, V. V. Avidon, S. A. Sukhanova

J. Computer System Science 29 (1984) no 1 8-35
Plaisted, David "Complete Problems in the first-order predicate
calculus"

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday,  6-Mar-85 12:18:03-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI-Aims

The goal of AI research seems, to me, to be to produce a `machine'
that will satisfy the Turing criterion. This is a total waste of
time and effort.
We are going through the second industrial revolution. (Wo)man's
(ie the human race's) muscle power was extended and (s)he is now
extending the  mind by the use of computer as a  tool (cf expert
systems). But the power of this revolution lies in the extension
of the thinking process and not its paltrey imitation of the mind
(cf my "chalk and cheese" entry on parallel thought processes).

Gordon Joly (with acknowledgment to Richard Winter).

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 1985  14:04 EST (Sun)
From: "Daniel S. Weld" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Japanese Research Environment (MIT)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

Revolving Seminar
March 12, 1985      4:00pm      8th floor playroom

Monica Strauss

Basic Research in Computer Science:
a perspective on the Japanese environment

This talk considers the structure of the computer science community in
Japan.  I focus on a central case: the Electrotechnical Laboratory (ETL), a
government research lab under the Ministry of International Trade and
Industry (MITI).  I contrast the apparent rigidity of the research
environment imposed by the formal structure with the flexibility of
informal practices.  In particular, I consider (1) the importance of
personal contacts in interactions with outside organizations, (2) informal
solutions to budgeting problems, (3) research interactions with industry.
My master's thesis in the Japan Science and Technology Program at MIT is a
comparative case study of MIT and ETL.  As an AI researcher, my purpose is
to gain a clear understanding of the conditions, supports, and pitfalls of
research interactions bridging the Japanese and American research
communities.

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 85 12:21:50 EST
From: Daniel.Rehak@CMU-RI-CIVE
Subject: Seminar - Synthesis In Design (CMU)

                         DESIGN RESEARCH CENTER
                            PANEL DISCUSSION

       SYNTHESIS IN DESIGN: CHALLENGES IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
                     AND MATHEMATICAL PROGRAMMING

    MODERATOR:  Ignacio Grossmann, Chemical Engineering
    SPEAKERS:   Mary Lou Maher, Civil Engineering
                Gary Powers, Chemical Engineering
                Sarosh Talukdar, Intelligent Design Lab, DRC
                Donald Thomas, Electrical and Computer Engineering

    DATE: Monday, March 11, 1985
    TIME: 1:30 - 3:00 PM
    PLACE: Porter Hall 123B

   Synthesis is one of the most important steps in design since it deals
with the problem on how to select and interconnect the components for
integrating a large scale system in an optimal or near optimal manner.
The major challenge for research in this area lies in the development of
systematic strategies and tools that can not only cope effectively with
large combinatorial problems, but that can also produce solutions that
are both innovative and of high quality. This seminar will present an
overview on the type of synthesis problems that arise in several engineering
disciplines and the approaches that have been used to tackle these problems.
The main objective in holding this seminar will be to examine the question
as to what extent common methodologies and tools can be shared among the
various engineering fields for the systematic synthesis of systems. Another
important objective will be to examine the scope and limitations that knowlege
based systems and algorithmic optimization methods have in solving these type
of problems. Specific examples on several synthesis applications will be
given.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 85 14:49:36 PST
From: IBM San Jose Research Laboratory Calendar
      <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: IBM-SJ Calendar <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Storing LISP Structures in a Database (IBM-SJ)

          [Forwarded from the SRI-AI bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                      IBM San Jose Research Lab
                           5600 Cottle Road
                         San Jose, CA 95193

  [...]

  Tues., Mar. 12 Computer Science Seminar
  10:00 A.M.  STORING LISP STRUCTURES IN A DATABASE
  2C-012      The paging problems that LISP programs with large
            knowledge bases incur together with the features
            databases provide, such as concurrency control and
            crash recovery, make extending LISP to allow
            persistent data desirable.  Rather than building a
            special purpose filing system, an interface to
            commercial INGRES was constructed.  Polymnia is a
            package that has been designed, partially
            implemented, and tested on a sizable LISP program
            (PHRAN).  The speed with which PHRAN executes is
            faster with a persistent knowledge base than with a
            virtual memory knowledge base when the manner of
            knowledge base storage is the only differing factor.

            M. Butler, University of California at Berkeley
            Host:  W. Plouffe (PLOUFFE@IBM-SJ)

  Visitors, please arrive 15 minutes early.  IBM is located on U.S.
  101, about 7 miles south of Interstate 280.  Exit at Monterey Road
  (82) and turn right if you took 101 south (left for 101 north.)
  Continue straight, ignoring the sign for 82, then follow signs for
  Cottle Road.  The Research Laboratory is IBM Building 028.
  For more detailed directions, please phone the Research Lab
  receptionist at (408) 256-3028.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI          13-MAR-1985 23:13  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a015137; 13 Mar 85 14:32 EST
Date: Wed 13 Mar 1985 10:35-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #33
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Wed, 13 Mar 85 23:10 EST

AIList Digest           Wednesday, 13 Mar 1985     Volume 3 : Issue 33

Today's Topics:
  Linguistics - Hungal,
  Expert Systems - Programming Styles,
  Surveys - AI in Australasia,
  Literature - History of Ideas in Computer Science,
  Opinion - AI Aims,
  News - AAAI Member Statistics & FMC and Teknowledge & Recent Articles,
  Policy - Jokes on Rape,
  Seminars - Cheating Husbands and Other Stories (SU) &
    The Limits of Calculative Rationality (CSLI)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed 13 Mar 85 10:20:29-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: Hungal

Gordon Cook of Delta Data Systems would like some information about
the Hungal dialect of Korea.  In particular, he would like to know
whether any form of automated translation system has ever been
written for this dialect.

Please reply to 200%NJIT-EIES.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS, or call Gordon at
(215) 322-5400 x258 if you have any leads.

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 85 09:41:16 pst
From: Curtis L. Goodhart <goodhart%cod@Nosc>
Subject: Expert Systems vs "Conventional" Programming

I have been involved for two years in a project to apply an existing
expert system development tool to a particular problem that we
have to solve.  In this time, starting from scratch, as far as AI and
expert systems are considered, I have developed opinions about the advantages
(and disadvantages) of expert systems, as opposed to traditional programming
methods.  I would like to hear from people who feel they have qualified
comments regarding this issue.

In preface to a discussion I'd like to provide a few comments based on my
observations and experience.

Often people outside the field of AI see expert systems as some new kind
of magic.  In fact it's not new magic or old magic but rather an area of
computer science that one might say provides styles or methods of programming
that prove useful in tackling certain types of problems.

The most valid two claims of advantages of expert systems that I see are:

  1) Expert systems provide cost efficient development for software develop-
     ments that will undergo an intensely iterative, or test/modify cycle
     (ie the exact procedure for problem solution, the algorithm, cannot
     be stated in detail and with confidence prior to initiating software
     development).

     The main basis of this is held to be a structured framework consisting
     of partitioned control, domain knowledge (procedural), and global data
     base (which includes domain factual or declarative knowledge).  It is
     the resulting uniformity and modularity that provide the foundation for
     an iterative development cycle.

  2) Expert systems, by way of recorded production rule firings, which are
     often used, provide for explanation of the "reasoning process" used to
     generate the solution.  This will be of value only if the end user will
     benefit from explanation, or if system development is speeded by expla-
     nation as opposed to the sole use of debug tools or methods that are
     used in non-expert-system developments.

Again, the degree of benefit would vary according to the characteristics of
the particular application, and the benefit increases for those problems that
will require an intensive iterative type of development.  Note that point 1
above points to expert systems as a development tool for the right kinds of
problems.

Some of the other claimed benefits of expert systems seem less supported to
me.  For example, I don't see that reasoning with uncertainty must be unique
to an expert system approach.  Another point, if "symbolic computation" (as
opposed to number crunching) is a valid claim it appears to me that its basis
must be in the dynamic memory allocation and list processing capabilities of
Lisp and not neccessarily in an expert system approach.

Finally, since the question of advantages of expert systems always comes up,
are there any good studies with hard numbers that can be referred to?  For
example, are there any papers that report on a case where conventional and
expert systems approaches were both used on an actual problem and comparisons
made in order to substantiate the advantages (eg show that "rapid proto-
typing" saves development time)?  Are there any papers that provide a sound,
and convincing basis for the virtues of expert systems, that could be given
to non-AI persons?

To summarize the question, what advantages (or disadvantages) do expert
systems provide over conventional software approaches. And note, I want to
limit the discussion to expert systems and not address the whole field of AI.

Responses can go to the net, AILIST, and/or to myself.

    Curt Goodhart   (goodhart@nosc -- on the ARPANET)

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 1985 1159-PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: AI in Australasia

For a 30 page report on AI in Australasia contact:

        DEBENHAM - AIIA
        Computing Sciences
        N S W I T
        Box 123 Broadway
        NSW 2007
        Australia

AIIA (Artificial Intelligence in Australia) publishes a report annually.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Mar 85 10:47:27 PST (Monday)
From: "Bruce Hamilton.OsbuSouth"@XEROX.ARPA
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: History of Ideas in Computer Science

I haven't been on the list for a while, but I saw V3 #31 and wondered if
anyone had mentioned the collection

Fritz Machlup and Una Mansfield, Eds., "The Study of Information:
Interdisciplinary Messages", Wiley, 1983, in particular Section 3,
"Intellectual Issues in the History of Artificial Intelligence", by
Allen Newell, with responses by Margaret A. Boden, Avron Barr, Douglas
R. Hofstadter, and Allen Newell.

--Bruce

[Nope. -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 85  0:05:24 EST
From: Frank Ritter <ritter@bbn-labs-b>
Subject: response to gJolly

     From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
     Subject: AI-Aims

     The goal of AI research seems, to me, to be to produce a `machine'
     that will satisfy the Turing criterion. This is a total waste of
     time and effort.  ...

[old zen motto: "if you want to get someplace, you've got to give up
wanting to get to that place"]

Gordon is right in his statement that the power of this revolution lies
in the extension of the thinking process. There are obviously new
ways to think, and new ways to add leverage to man's current cognitive
powers.  Whether this intelligence is best done in a brute force manner,
or modelled after human thinking processes is still an open question.
The basics of thought are still very much a research issue.
Which is better is a silly question until we are able to even define
such terms.
Just as man had to study birds, and was able to derive the underlying
mechanism of flight, and then adapt it to the tools and materials
at hand, man must currently study the only animal that thinks
in order to derive the underlying principles there also.  The best
way to study the mind is to hypothesis a theory and test it. And in the
process of doing that, insight just might emerge on what powers we have,
how they work, and how to best augment them, and thus give Gordon the
answers he seeks.

Frank Ritter (ritter@bbn-labs-b)

------------------------------

Date: Mon 11 Mar 85 11:44:13-CST
From: Gordon Novak Jr. <[email-masked]>
Subject: AAAI Member Statistics

        [Forwarded from the UTexas-20 bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

The membership statistics of the American Association for Artificial
Intelligence provide an interesting picture of where the AI people are:

Calif.    1431          Canada         200
Mass.      709          U. K.          146
Texas      668          Japan           84
New York   451          W. Germany      70
Virginia   317          Australia       34
Penn.      293          France          29
Maryland   278
New Jersey 258          Foreign total:  765
Illinois   173

Total Membership: 7094  [of which 4145 are listed in the directory. -- KIL]

Texas is a strong third, and nearly as big as all foreign countries combined.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 1985 01:04:38 EST
From: Perry W. Thorndyke <[email-masked]>
Subject: News - FMC and Teknowledge

                       [Edited by Laws@SRI-AI.]

        FMC ANNOUNCES ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE VENTURE WITH TEKNOWLEDGE

SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA, March 12, 1985 -- FMC Corporation today
announced that it has entered into a joint venture with Teknowledge,
Inc. in the area of artificial intelligence software development.  FMC
has acquired approximately 11% of Teknowledge, Inc.  In addition, the
companies have entered into a "strategic affiliation". [...]

Peter E. Weber, Director of Corporate Research and Development at FMC, said the
investment was a key element in FMC's plan to build a premier corporate
capability in artificial intelligence. [...]

Teknowledge will collaborate with FMC's Artificial Intelligence Center, part of
the company's corporate R&D laboratory in Santa Clara, California, to develop
generic software tools. [...]

One of the initial joint projects will develop a tool for use in building
expert systems for real-time process control.  This tool could be used to
control such diverse systems as autonomous military vehicles or mineral
refining plants.  Another project will develop a tool for use in designing
complex configurations of parts into a final product.  This tool could be used
in applications such as product configuration (as in R1/XCON), knowledge-based
CAD/CAM, or planning the steps in a manufacturing process for a metal part.

The Artificial Intelligence Center at FMC, the focal point for the company's AI
activities, conducts basic research in the areas of knowledge systems,
real-time heuristic control, human-machine interfaces, computer-based
instruction, intelligent robotics, and vision.  The Center also undertakes
leading-edge applied research focused on the development of software products
for internal use or incorporation into FMC product lines. [...]

Perry W. Thorndyke
FMC Corporation
1185 Coleman Avenue, Box 580
Santa Clara, CA 95052
(408) 289-3112

------------------------------

Date: 10 Mar 1985 20:36-CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent Articles

Baldwin, J. F. and Zhou, S. Q. A fuzzy relational inference language.
Fuzzy Sets and Systems 14 (1984) no 2 155-174

GWAI 83 (Dassel, 1983) Informatik-Fachber 76 Springer, Berlin New York
1983 (It appears that some or all of these items may be in German):

Dilger, Werner and Janson, Agnes
Unification graphs for intelligent backtracking in deduction symbols

Eder, Elmar Properties of substitutions and unifications

Elsinger, N. A technical note on splitting and clausal normal form
algorithms

Horster, Patrick J. Complete reduction systems

Ohlbach, Hans Jurgen A rule-based method of proof using clausal graphs

Habel, Christopher Logical systems and representation problems

Zap. Nauchn. Sem. Leningrad. Otdel. Mat Inst. Steklov 137(1984) 80-86
Linear-time recognition of isomorphism of tree-like images (Russian
with English summary) by A. N. Grigor'eva

International J. Comput. Inform. Sci 13(1984) no1
H. R. Lu, Inferability of context-free programmed gammars.

Electron. Comm Japan 67 (1984) no 6 10-17
An extended Fisher criterion for feature extraction--Malina's method
and its problems.

Studies aand Research in Data Processing Masson, Paris 1984 252 pp
Jean-Claude Simon, Pattern Recognition by algorithms.

Inform. Process. Lett 1984 no 1 41-46
P. A. Subrahmanyam, "On embedding functions in logic"

Pattern Recogniton 17 (1984) no 3 331-337
Dean M. Young, Patrick Odell A formulation and comparison of two linear
feature selection techniques applicable to statistical classification

Engineering Cybernetics 21 (1983) no 4 85-92
An information approach to estimation of the usefulness of features in
statistical pattern recognition

RAIRO Inform. Theor 18 (1984) no 2 161-170
Luis Farlinas del Cerro
A resolution principle in modal logic.

AT&T Bell Labs Tech J 63 (1984) no 7 1213-1243
B. H. Juang.  On the hidden Markov model and dynamic time warping for
speech recognition -- a unified view

Engineering Cybernetics 21 (1983) no 4 1-11 (1984)
M. I. Sudelkin Search for solutions using Knowledge

Simulation Volume 44 No 1 Jan 1985
Artificial Intelligence Topics at IBM 33

Computer Design Volume 24 No 1 Jan85
Machine Vision Technology is Coming of Age but is not here yet 64
Symbolic Processor Aids Design of Complex Chips 147
Lisp Workstation brings AI power to Users desk 155

Electronics Week Vol 58 No 2 Jan 7 85
Expert System uses AI for Natural Sound

Computer Languages Volume 9 No 3/4 161-182
Huhu: The Hebrew University Hebrew Understander

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 85 14:41:04 pst
From: Curtis L. Goodhart <goodhart%cod@Nosc>
Subject: Jokes on rape

Some things are immoral, period.  Rape is one of them, and thankfully
there is still an overwhelming consensus on that (unlike shifts in our
society's view on other issues).  In any case, consensus or not, I'd
like to request that such material not be submitted to the net, and if
it is submitted it should be eliminated by the mail reviewer should he
or she see it.  Those who have similar feelings should definitely
speak up.  Though there is the tendency to fear being labeled a prude,
silence only gives the appearance that there is no opposition or other
side, and consequences will follow.  For example, if all the decent
people stay out of politics, by default the government will be run by
indecent people, and we can not complain, indeed we can only expect
the quality of our government to reflect this indecency.

[I apologize to all who were offended by the posting.  I have received
a few messages on each side of the issue, but it seems clear that
Poly Nomial and Curly Pi should have been left to make their own way
in the world without the help of AIList.  The policy of this list is
to avoid "ethnic" humor or any form of wit at the expense of individuals
or sensitive groups.  There may have been a few lapses, but I'll try to
enforce the policy strictly in the future.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 11 Mar 85 17:24:33-PST
From: Andrei Broder <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Cheating Husbands and Other Stories (SU)

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

This AFLB talk might interest AI and systems people as well. - Andrei

3/14/85 - Yoram Moses(Stanford)

                 Cheating Husbands and Other Stories:
         A Case Study of Knowledge, Action, and Communication

We present variants of the cheating husbands puzzle in order to illustrate
the subtle relationship between knowledge and action in a distributed
environment. We examine the state of knowledge of a message that
a group of wives achieves as a function of how the message is communicated.
We analyze how the states of knowledge arising in the different circumstances
may affect the wives' ability to act and the success of their actions in
achieving their stated goals.

This will be a recreational AFLB. This work is joint with Danny Dolev of
the Hebrew University and Joe Halpern of IBM San Jose.

***** Time and place: March 14, 12:30 pm in MJ352 (Bldg. 460) ******

[AIList does not, of course, endorse activities of cheating husbands. -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 12 Mar 85 11:26:53-PST
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - The Limits of Calculative Rationality (CSLI)

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                           CSLI COLLOQUIUM

Speaker:  Hubert Dreyfus
          University of California, Berkeley

Title:    From Socrates to Expert Systems:  The Limits of Calculative
          Rationality.

Time and Place:  March 14, 1985, 4:15, Redwood Hall, rm. G-19

Abstract: An examination of the general epistemological assumptions of
artificial intelligence with special reference to recent work in the
development of expert systems.  I will argue that expert systems are
limited because of a failure to recognize the real character of expert
intuitive understanding.  Expertise is acquired in a five-step
process; only the first of which uses representations involving
objective features and strict rules.  A review of the successes and
failures of various specific expert systems confirms this analysis.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI          15-MAR-1985 05:19  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a023946; 15 Mar 85 2:30 EST
Date: Thu 14 Mar 1985 22:33-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #34
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Fri, 15 Mar 85 05:15 EST

AIList Digest            Friday, 15 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 34

Today's Topics:
  AI Sites - Universities,
  Linguistics - Hangul,
  Literature - The Journal for the Integrated Study of Artificial
    Intelligence, Cognitive Science and Applied Epistemology,
  Policy - Humor,
  Humor - AI Joke Contest & Eliza & Political/Mathematical Humor & ))) &
    Greedy Algorithms,
  Course - Nonexistent Objects and Fiction (CSLI)
  Seminars - Knowledge-Based Software Development at Kestrel (SU) &
    Computational Geometry, Rewrite Rules, etc. (PARC) &
    Shape from Function (MIT)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 14 Mar 85 12:55:07 EST
From: jaffe (elliot jaffe) @ cmu-psy-a
Subject: Universities and AI

About 4 months ago on AILIST I remember a discussion about which universities
were doing AI work and a general listing was given.

1) Can I get a copy of that set of lists?

2) Does anybody have any new information to enter?

Elliot Jaffe
[email-masked]

[I'll send Elliot a copy of the list of sites receiving AIList.
See also the November 1983 issue of IEEE Spectrum; it misses
some sites -- SRI, for example -- but the chart of academic and
nonacademic sites on pp. 59-68 is impressive.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 14 Mar 85 08:14 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Hangul

The word "Hangul" (not "Hungal") may refer to a dialect, but that is not
its main use.  It is the name of the wonderfully ingenious writing
system that Korean has, named after the emperor who invented it.  The
system is interpretable both phonemically and syllabically and is a gem
of design.  There are the same number of good automated translation
systems for this as for every other natural language, namely none.

--Martin Kay.

[The last IEEE Computer featured oriental text entry systems; I
remember seeing Korean discussed, so perhaps there are some
appropriate references.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 85 08:31:31 pst
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@Navajo>
Subject: A place for everything

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

I just received volume 1, number 1 of The Journal for the Integrated
Study of Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive Science and Applied Epistemology.
It is described as "a quarterly journal published by Communication and
Cognition-AI at the State University of Ghent, Blandijnberg 2,
B-9000 Ghent, Belgium."

I imagine they will soon tire of allusions to Browning's "How They Brought
the Good News from Ghent to Aix," if they haven't already.

-v

------------------------------

Date: 14 Mar 85 15:30:43 EST
From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Subject: Policy on Humor

        [...The policy of this list is to avoid "ethnic" humor or any form of
        wit at the expense of individuals or sensitive groups.  There may
        have been a few lapses, but I'll try to enforce the policy strictly
        in the future.  -- KIL]

   Unfortunately, if you really intend to stick strictly to this policy,
I'm afraid you will end up posting no humor at all, as it seems there are
very few statements and even fewer jokes which no group finds offensive.
Do you realize that, according to this policy, you cannot publish any of
the various humorous versions of Little Red Riding Hood?

   I mourn the demise of humor on AIList.

   Twinerik

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 85 16:31:33 pst
From: newton@cit-vax (Mike Newton)
Subject: rape and humor

Though rape is a barbaric act, censorship is a far worse crime for it
affects so many more.  Do the people who object so much about the "polly
nomial" story complain so loudly w.r.t. jokes about murder, or, worse,
war?

There is a fundamental difference between an act and writing about an act.
If jokes about a subject are banned, how long is it before satire about
the same subject is banned?  Then there is only a small step fiction is
banned.  Next comes fact, research...

mike

ps: I realize that the above is a viewpoint some will find objectionable.
Arguments about my first sentence had better be convincing:  Though due to
my sex it would be hard to rape me, I have been shot, mugged and robbed --
one of these incidents still bothers me noticeably -- yet I do NOT think
that jokes about these subjects should be censored.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 14 Mar 85 11:11:57-PST
From: Wilkins  <[email-masked]>
Subject: in defense of humor

I am all for decent people expressing opinions and running the
government, but being oversensitive can take the fun out of life.
Any reasonable definition of rape should include the fact that
the raper and rapee are human or at least members of the
animal kingdom.  I find it hard to be offended when polynomials
are raped, however.  We all know mathematical/computer language
is colorful, but using a verb that would be in poor taste when
applied to humans does not mean its in poor taste when applied
to abstract data structures.  For example, killing a line in
your editor is not considered murder.

While the story in question did say Polly Nomial was a
"paragon of womanly virtue", it never said she was a woman
or was human, so one can easily assume she is a polynomial.
The story implies that Curly Pi is a "common fraction" which
is consistent with these characters being abstract mathematical
being.  This story was good humor, though admittedly non-mathematicians
might not appreciate it and transfer it into a human domain and
be offended.  I personally enjoyed getting the chance to read it.

Striking a blow for more humor and fun in life,
David

------------------------------

Date: Tue 12 Mar 85 13:26:45-EST
From: Bob Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI Jokes RESULTS

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

     Q.  "What do you get when you cross an expert system with an
          orangutan?"

     A.  "Another Harry Reasoner."

Yes folks, that's it, the winner of the first annual AI Jokes Contest.
The winner has been awarded his lovely blue and gold Cal T-shirt.

We got many entries (single digits, though), which were much appreciated.
Highlights follow.  The names have been withheld just in case the authors
are sensitive about being associated with their entries.  (Anyone who
wants explicit credit should send me mail.)

Consensus honorable mentions:

     Q.  "What did the Apple 5e say when a human fell on it?"

     A.  "Ureka! (sic)  I've discovered gravity!"

     Q.  "How many expert systems does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

     A.  "If they're so smart, why don't they know?"

*******************************************************************
Now that you've got a feel for the competition, ANNOUNCING

         AI JOKES II: THE WRATH OF CONS

Send your entry for the next, bigger, better AI Jokes Contest to
either me (rjh%mit-oz@mit-mc) or US mail directly to

   AI JOKES II: THE WRATH OF CONS
   1717 Allston Way
   Berkeley, CA 94703

Terms are the same: if yours is the funniest, as judged by an impartial
panel of natural intelligences, you win your choice of a T-shirt from
one of the following schools:

U.C. Berkeley
Cal State, Hayward
Chabot College, Hayward
MIT
Harvard
Leland Stanford Junior College
Doug Flutie's alma mater

Enter Now!! (Include shirt size and school preference)
*******************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: 14 March 1985 0512-EST
From: Jeff Shrager@CMU-CS-A
Subject: Security the MIT way

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

If you have access to MIT-OZ, try sending a message to their operator
from a not-logged-in task.  In order to handle dial-in randoms who tend
to do operator sends (and used to get no reply) they've now piped the
operator's message buffer through an Eliza system, which proceeds to
"analyze" the luser's problems.  Hack Hack.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 6 Mar 85 08:57:18-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: Political/Mathematical Humor

From a WORKS message by Greg Kuperberg (harvard!talcott!gjk or
talcott!gjk@topaz):

"2*x^5-10*x+5=0 is not solvable by radicals." -Evariste Galois.

------------------------------

Date: Sun 24 Feb 85 14:13:34-PST
From: Steven Tepper <[email-masked]>
Subject: Found: right parens

       [Forwarded from the Stanford AI bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

I found a sequence of right parentheses lying around on the Ethernet.
They look like they might have fallen off the end of somebody's Lisp program.
If you lost some and think these might be yours, send me a message identifying
them.

Also, has anyone seen a matched pair of asterisks in Gacha 10?  I can get
new ones, but this particular pair had sentimental value.

------------------------------

Date: Sun 24 Feb 85 15:31:58-PST
From: Gustavo Fernandez <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Found: right parens

       [Forwarded from the Stanford AI bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Sorry, I have not seen your asterisks, but please! Does anyone know where
the daily bit buckets are stored? I lost some data Thusday night by
doing one too many left shift on a program I was writing on SCORE and
I was wondering whether I might be in some way able to recover the bit
strings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                                        Gus Fernandez
                                                        FERNANDEZ@SCORE

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 85 17:57:17 est
From: Walter Hamscher <hamscher at mit-htvax>
Subject: Graduate Student Lunch *SEMINAR*

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

Place: *THIRD FLOOR THEORY PLAYROOM*
Date: Friday, March 8
Time: 12 Noon
Hosts: Isaac Kohane and Mike Wellman

               COMPUTER AIDED CONCEPTUAL ART
                  REVOLTING SEMINAR SERIES
                          presents

         GREEDY ALGORITHMS FOR REALLY HARD PROBLEMS

                       Mike Generous
                        Penny Weise
                       Dahlia Fulisch

Perhaps the best known greedy algorithm is Kruskal's Minimum
Spanning Tree algorithm.  The concept of "greedy algorithm"
is here generalized to provide a framework in which any
problem can be solved with bounded error in constant time.
The simplest such algorithm is a stupefyingly
straightforward algorithm for finding the maximum of a list
of numbers: take the maximum of the first two elements of
the list.  The bounded error arises from the provability of
the correctness criterion "We could have done worse!".  The
Satisfiability problem for the predicate calculus is solved
trivially, because we have shown conclusively elsewhere that
we are Satisfied with predicate calculus.  The framework
applies also to meta-problem solving (i.e. "What problem
should we sic the greedy algorithm on next"), as we will
demonstrate by applying it to the problem of generating
grant proposals.  If there is time, we will give other
examples involving Single-State Automata (Moronotrons) and
Extremist Graph Theory.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 14 Mar 85 16:42:26-PST
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Course - Nonexistent Objects and Fiction (CSLI)

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                           COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT
                      Graduate Seminar - Philosophy
          ``Nonexistent Objects and the Semantics of Fiction''
                          Edward N. Zalta, CSLI

      The problem of how it is we can think about and tell stories about
   what does not exist is one of the foremost problems in the study of
   intentionality.  We'll begin by asking what an analysis of fiction,
   and stories in general, ought to do, and then quickly review the
   problems facing the semantic analysis of sentences about nonexistent
   objects developed by Meinong, Russell, Quine, and the free logicians.
   We then turn to a careful presentation of both Terence Parsons'
   neo-Meinongian views (developed in his book: Nonexistent Objects) and
   my own, which has a Meinongian flavor. There will be a comparison of
   how the language and logic of these theories represent the meaning of
   English sentences about nonexistents.  Then we shall ask whether these
   theories provide a better representation, and do a better job of
   analyzing fiction in general, than some current alternatives, some of
   which do without nonexistents (Plantinga, Searle, Fine, Lewis) and
   some of which appeal to some sort of abstract objects (Kripke, van
   Inwagen, Wolterstorff).  We'll conclude the course with a brief
   examination of how these axiomatized theories fit into a larger
   picture of the semantics of language and intensionality.

      The first meeting of this seminar will be held in the Venture Hall
   trailers conference room, Tuesday April 2, at 1:15.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 11 Mar 85 17:04:08-PST
From: Paula Edmisten <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Knowledge-Based Software Development at Kestrel (SU)

 [Forwarded from the Stanford SIGLUNCH distribution by Laws@SRI-AI.]

DATE:        Friday, March 15, 1985
LOCATION:    Chemistry Gazebo, between Physical and Organic Chemistry
TIME:        12:05

SPEAKER:     Douglas R. Smith, Kestrel Institute, Palo Alto, CA.

ABSTRACT:    KNOWLEDGE-BASED SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT AT KESTREL INSTITUTE

Kestrel Institute is a non-profit organization with a two-fold
purpose:

    Research and graduate education in computer science.
    Its main research goal is the formalization and incremental
    automation of software development.

Towards this goal,  we carry  out research  in such  areas as  machine
intelligence,    very-high-level    languages,    algorithm    design,
transformation  and  synthesis,   software  project  management,   and
knowledge-base programming environments.

I'll present an overview  of current and  planned research at  Kestrel
Institute  and  describe  our  experience  with  the  DSE  system,   a
knowledge-base programming environment  in routine use.   The bulk  of
the talk will examine two research themes at Kestrel:

    Knowledge compilation and,
    The use of schemes in program synthesis.

Knowledge compilation involves transforming declarative knowledge plus
directions for its useage into efficient procedural form.  The uses of
program  schemes  and  strategies   for  instantiating  them   include
knowledge   compilation   and   the   design   of   algorithms    from
specifications.

Paula

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 85 15:53:13 PST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Seminars - Computational Geometry, Rewrite Rules, Etc. (PARC)

         [Excerpted from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

The next BATS [Bay Area Theory Seminar] will take place on Friday,
March 15 at Xerox PARC (in the auditorium).  [...]  -- Frances

SCHEDULE

10 a.m.  Ronald Graham (AT&T Bell Lab):  Remarks on The Finite Radon
    Transform
11 a.m.  Frances Yao (Xerox PARC):  A General Approach to d-Dimensional
    Geometric Queries

 1 p.m.  Andrew Yao (Stanford):  Separating the Polynomial-Time
    Hierarchy by Oracles
 2 p.m.  Joe Halpern (IBM):  What Does It Mean for Rewrite Rules to be
    "Correct"?
 3 p.m.  Andrei Broder (DEC):  Vote Early and Vote Often; The
    Distributed Lottery Problem

[...]

A General Approach to d-Dimensional Geometric Queries

Frances Yao
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

ABSTRACT  Research results in the area of computational geometry have
been largely limited to problems concerning simple relations between
objects in the plane.   In this talk, we shall define what we call a
"generic query" in d-space, and present a uniform solution to it.  As
examples of application, the nearest-neighbor query in d-space can be
solved in linear space and sublinear time; the pairwise intersection
problem for polytopes and the construction of minimum spanning trees in
d-space can be solved in linear space and subquadratic time.

 What does it mean for rewrite rules to be "correct"?

Joe Halpern
IBM San Jose Research Center

ABSTRACT  We consider an operational definition for FP via rewrite
rules.  What would it mean for such a definition to be correct?  We
certainly want the rewrite rules to capture correctly our intuitions
regarding the meaning of the primitive functions.  We also want there to
be enough rewrite rules to compute the correct meaning of all
expressions, but not too many, thus making equivalent two expressions
that should be different.  And what does it mean for there to be
"enough" rules?

We give a formal criterion for deciding whether there are enough rewrite
rules and show that our rewrite rules meet that criterion.  We develop
powerful techniques to prove these results, that
involve imposing a notion of types on the untyped language FP, and then
using techniques of typed lambda-calculus theory.  (Note: This talk is
completely self-contained.  No previous knowledge of FP or lambda
calcuclus will be assumed.)

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 1985  22:11 EST (Tue)
From: "Daniel S. Weld" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Shape from Function (MIT)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

AI Revolving Seminar    Tues 3/19/85    4:00pm  8th floor playroom

               SHAPE FROM FUNCTION VIA MOTION ANALYSIS

             with Application to the Automatic Design of
             Orienting Devices for Vibratory Part Feeders

                          TOMAS LOZANO-PEREZ

This talk explores the premise that a device's function can be
characterized by how it interacts with other objects.  I focus on
devices for which some aspect of their function can be characterized
in terms of constraints they place on the motions of objects.
Commonplace examples of this class of device abound; any office is
full of them: chairs, cups, rulers, telephones, cabinets, bookends,
etc.  In fact, the shape of most objects is constrained by the legal
motions of that object and of objects it must interact with.

I suggest a representation for the function of this class of objects
in terms of motion contraints.  These possible--motion constraints are
expressed as an abstract diagram.  Combinations of these diagrams
serve both in describing a device's function and in designing devices
with specified behavior.

The design problem for these devices is a kind of inverse of the
motion planning problem in robotics.  In both cases we know the shape
of the moving part.  In motion planning, we are given the obstacles
and we must find a legal path between the specified origin and
destination.  In our view of design, however, we are given the desired
motion (actually a range of possible motions) and are asked to find a
legal shape of the obstacle, that is, the device.

We illustrate our approach to design with a detailed case study of
mechanical part feeders, a class of real devices with an interesting
and direct relationship between shape and function.

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	COMSAT         16-MAR-1985 00:15  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a000255; 15 Mar 85 21:10 EST
Date: Fri 15 Mar 1985 17:14-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #35
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Sat, 16 Mar 85 00:10 EST

AIList Digest           Saturday, 16 Mar 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 35

Today's Topics:
  Literature - Recent Articles,
  Seminars - The Berkeley PROLOG Machine (IBM-SJ) &
    Tools for Conceptual Modeling (Toronto) &
    Innate Linguistic Knowledge (UCB),
  Conferences - Intelligent Information Retrieval &
    ACM Northeast Regional Conference &
    System Sciences Software Track

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 1985 17:27-CST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent Articles

Cybernetics: Theory and Applications Hemisphere, New York, N. Y. 1983

Donald C. Gause Gary Rogers Cybernetics and Artificial Intelligence 339-360

Ya Z. Tsypkin The theory of adaptive and learning systems 57-89
____________________________________________________________________________
Zh. Vychisl. Mat. i Mat. Fiz 24 (1984) no 9 1392-1401
I. V. Issev Design of pattern recognition and classification algorithms
by the covering method (in Russian)
____________________________________________________________________________
Information Sciences 33 (1984) no. 3 197-207
Rudolf Kruse Statistical Estimation and Linguistic Data
____________________________________________________________________________
Kexue Tongbao (English Ed.) 29 (1984) no 7 861-866
Xin Zhan Wu On the classification entropy criterion in pattern
recognition
____________________________________________________________________________
Figural Synthesis Erlbaum Hillsdale NJ 1984
David H. Foster Local and Global Computational Factors in Visual
Pattern Recogniton
____________________________________________________________________________
Journal Multivariate Analysis 15 (1984) no 2 147-163
Richard A. Olshen, Louis Gordon
Almost surely consistent nonparametric regression from recursive
parrtitioning schemes
____________________________________________________________________________
Raoro Inform. Theor. 18 (1984) no 3 191-208
J. P. Jouannaud  H. Kirchner Constructing a smallest simplification ordering
____________________________________________________________________________
Studia Logica 42 (1983) no 4 443-451
J. A. Kalman Condensed detachment as a rule of inference
____________________________________________________________________________
Engineering Cybernetics 21 (1983) no 5 107-115
V. M. Sumarokov System Modelling of Information Structures of Data BAses
____________________________________________________________________________
Communications, Pure and Applied Math 37 (1984) no 6 815-848
Jacob T. Schwartz Micha Sharir On the Piano Movers' Problem V. The case
of a rod moving in three-dimensional space amidst polyhedral obstacles.
____________________________________________________________________________
Discrete and Applied Math 9 (1984) no 3 269-295
51
Walter Whitely, A correspondence between scene analysis and motions of
frameworks
____________________________________________________________________________
Engineering Costs and Production Economics Volume 8 No 3 Dec 15 1984
Two Heuristic Methods for Grouping Inventory Items Page 211
____________________________________________________________________________
Computer Decisions Volume 17 Number 1 jan 15 1985
Expert Systems Get Down to Business
A. Lampert 138
____________________________________________________________________________
Theoretical Computer Science Volume 34 NO 1-2 Nov 1985
T. Sato H. Tamaki Enumeration of Success Patterns in Logic Programs pp
227
____________________________________________________________________________
The Institute April 1985 Volume 9 Number 4

Page 8 "Optical Crossbar Switch to be Developed"
Work done on a 32 by 32 crossbar to implemented with optical switch
technology

Page 8 "VLSI called second-best for future architecture"
Discussion of various architectures in Connection Machines and Lisp
Machines.

Page 9 "Reddy calls for Design Library to Help Build 'superchips'"
Discussion of chip libraries and needs for special purpose computers
and chips in AI work
____________________________________________________________________________
Infoworld March 18, 1985 Volume 7, Issue 11
"Pathfinder Aims at Resale"
Pathfinder from KDS Corp of Wilmette has been announced which reads up
to 256,000 facts and converts them into a set of rules.  Designed to
allow novices to devlop expert systems.  Available on IBM PC with work
being done on Apple II and Macintosh versions. The Apple and Macintosh
versions will run the resulting expert system only and not be able to
create new expert systems.
____________________________________________________________________________
The Artificial Intelligence Report
Artificial Intelligence Publications
3600 West Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303 USA (415)-424-1447

Volume 2 Number 1

Describes various AI work at SRI-International

Knowledge Based Systems: Prospector and HYDRO
Natural Language Processing
Planning Problem-Solving and Deduction: electromechanical system
  assembly and disassembly planning, distributed AI
Image Processing Computer Vision
Distributed Data Management
Automatic Program Syunthesis
Inference Machine Architecture
  SHAKEY: mobile robot
  STRIPS
  LIFER: programmable natural language system
  TEAM: natural language and databased
  QA4, QLISP, AI languages
  LADDER: distributed data base access
  MEDINQUIRY: medical patient management and clinical research

Robotics Lab

  the problem of identifying objects in a jumble of parts
  using multiple arms
  arc welding
  visual inspection

AI and the Military
  expert system for loading military cargo planes AALPS
  ADVISOR: system used by planes returning from missions
  FLIREX: Flight rules expert system
  SAMPL: mission planning
  CHATTER: natural language system

Advanced Computer Systems Department
  Systems Life Cycle Management, computer architecture, simulation,
  Computer System Performance Prediction, Data Base system Design,
  Office Automation System
  feasibility studies of expert systems in monitoring earth-orbiting
  spacecraft for malfunctions and planning of space missiONS
  expert system for the design of consumer good packaging, loan
  application checking

Financial Applications
  International Bank Loan Evaluations, Commercial Loan Evaluation,
  Financial Planning, Insurance Underwriting, Financial Product sales,
  Insurance Claims Processing

SRI has developed a PC based expert system.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 85 16:16:57 PST
From: IBM San Jose Research Laboratory Calendar
      <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: IBM-SJ Calendar <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - The Berkeley PROLOG Machine (IBM-SJ)

         [Excerpted from the IBM-SJ Calendar by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                      IBM San Jose Research Lab
                           5600 Cottle Road
                         San Jose, CA 95193

  Wed., March 20 Computer Science Seminar
  10:40 A.M.  THE BERKELEY PROLOG MACHINE
  Cafe. A     The Berkeley Prolog Machine (PLM) is a co-processor
            architecture designed for efficient execution of
            Prolog programs.  It is the first prototype of a
            logic processor for our Aquarius heterogeneous MIMD
            machine.  Currently, it is attached to an NCR/32
            system which provides the memory and I/O subsystem as
            well as processing power for other operations not
            suited to the functional unit of the PLM (e.g.,
            floating point operations).  This paper describes the
            architecture of the PLM and some aspects of its
            implementation.  We conclude with an analysis of some
            performance data obtained from a simulation of the design.

            Prof. A. M. Despain, Computer Science Division,
            University of California at Berkeley
            Host:  G. Langdon, Jr. (LANGDON@IBM-SJ)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 85 13:19:09 est
From: Voula Vanneli <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Tools for Conceptual Modeling (Toronto)

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE SEMINAR - Tuesday, March 19,
           at 2 p.m., SF 3201

               Hannu Kangassalo
        University of Tampere, Finland

   "Comic - A Project for Developing Tools for Conceptual
         Modelling and Information Construction"

Abstract:  The goal of the project is to develop concepts,
methods and software tools to support end users and data
administrators in their work for developing a conceptual
schema on a graphical workstation.  A graphical language,
Concept D contains two sublanguages, one for describing
independent concept defninitions and one for describing the
conceptual schema.
The information given in the conceptual schema is stored
into the data base from which it can be analyzed and
manipulated for different purposes, e.g. for producing
a data base schema.  The presentation gives also the
outline of the architecture of the comic-system which
is being developed at the University of Tampere.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 85 15:27:07 pst
From: chertok%ucbcogsci@Berkeley (Paula Chertok)
Subject: Seminar - Innate Linguistic Knowledge (UCB)

              BERKELEY COGNITIVE SCIENCE PROGRAM
             Cognitive Science Seminar -- IDS 237B

     TIME:                Tuesday, March 19, 11:00 - 12:30
     PLACE:               240 Bechtel Engineering Center
     (followed by)
     DISCUSSION:          12:30 - 1:30 in 200 Building T-4

SPEAKER:        Janet Dean Fodor, University of Connecticut and
                CSLI

TITLE:          ``A  Formal   Theory   of   Innate   Linguistic
                Knowledge''

     An infant must be innately  provided  with  some  sort  of
representational  medium  in  which  to record what he observes
about his target language.  It has occasionally been  suggested
that the formal properties of this mental metalanguage could be
the source of universal properties of natural languages.   This
is  quite different from the standard (= substantive) approach,
which assumes that children are born with certain statements of
the metalanguage innately tagged as true.

     I propose to take the formal approach seriously.  That way
to do so seems to be to try for a theory which accounts for ALL
universals in the same way, i.e., solely on the basis  of  what
can  and  cannot be expressed in the metalanguage.  The attempt
is  very  informative,  regardless  of  whether  it  ultimately
succeeds or fails.

     Success is by no means guaranteed, for the  formal  theory
overthrows  many  familiar assumptions.  For example, it can be
shown to be incompatible (on standard assumptions  about  chil-
dren and their linguistic input) with the existence of any con-
straints on rule application  or  on  derivational  representa-
tions.   All  the  work of distinguishing well-formed from ill-
formed sentences must be done by rules only.   Constraints  can
determine the shape of the rules, but cannot tidy up after them
if they overgenerate.

     It is easiest to see how to set about formulating grammars
of  this kind within the framework of GPSG, and it is encourag-
ing to find that a number of universals do fall out  as  conse-
quences  of  the  GPSG  formalism.  But there are problems too.
Syntactic features, in particular, create headaches for learna-
bility.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 85 09:25:52 est
From: rada@nlm-mcs (Roy Rada CSB)
Subject: Conference - Intelligent Information Retrieval

                      CALL FOR PAPERS

     Session(s) on  Intelligent  Information  Retrieval  are
being  organized for the upcoming "Expert Systems in Govern-
ment Conference". Papers are requested  on  any  of  a  wide
variety  of  topics,  such  as  adaptive  document  or query
description, knowledge-bases to guide document  search,  and
classification  of  documents  via  semantic  parsing.   The
Conference is not restricted to Government-related work.  If
you  are  interested  in  submitting a paper or organizing a
session, please contact Roy Rada at

                    National Library of Medicine
                    Bethesda, MD 20209
                    phone 301-496-2475
                    ARPA net: Rada@NLM

Permission has been secured from the Editor Donald Kraft  of
the  Journal  of the American Society of Information Science
(JASIS) to have the best papers considered for  publication,
perhaps as a special issue.

      ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM THE CONFERENCE FLIER

          Expert Systems in Government Conference

                    October 23-25, 1985

     THE CONFERENCE objective is to allow the developers and
implementers  of  expert  systems in goverenment agencies to
exchange information and ideas first hand for the purpose of
improving  the quality of existing and future expert systems
in the government sector.  Artificial Intelligence (AI)  has
recently  been  maturing so rapidly that interest in each of
its  various  facets,  e.g.,   robotics,   vision,   natural
language,  supercomputing,  and expert systems, has acquired
an increasing following and cadre of practitioners.  [...]

     Additional information may be obtained from the Program
Chairman:
                    Dr. Kamal Karna
                    MITRE Corporation W852
                    1820 Dolley Madison Boulevard
                    McLean, Virginia  22102
                    Phone (703) 883-5866
                    ARPANET:  Karna @ Mitre

                                        -- Roy Rada

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 1985 10:38-EST
From: Brad Goodman <BGOODMAN@BBNG>
Subject: Conference - ACM Northeast Regional Conference

I am chairing the natural language session and
especially encourage people to submit papers in that area.
                                             Thanks.  -Brad Goodman

                          CALL FOR PAPERS

           SECOND ANNUAL ACM NORTHEAST REGIONAL CONFERENCE

               "Integrating the Information Workplace:
                     the Key to Productivity"

                         28-30 October 1985

                         Sheraton-Tara Hotel
                          Framingham, Mass.
                                and
                         The Computer Museum
                            Boston, Mass.

The conference sessions are grouped into tracks corresponding to major areas
of interest in the computer field.  Papers are solicited for the Conference's
Artificial Intelligence Track.  The Track's program will emphasize "real world"
approaches and applications of AI.

                       Topics of interest include:

                          - Expert Systems
                          - Natural Language
                          - Man-Machine Interface
                          - Tools/Environment
                          - A.I. Hardware
                          - Robotics and Vision

Papers are invited.  Two copies of an abstract (maximum 500 words) should be
submitted for review by April 1 to the Program Chairman, ACM Northeast Regional
Conference, P.O. Box 499, Sharon, MA  02067.  Three copies of the final paper,
in camera-ready form, should be sent by July 1, 1985 to Dr. David S. Prerau,
Track Chairman, Artificial Intelligence Track, ACM Northeast Regional
Conference, GTE Laboratories Inc., 40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA.  02254.

For additional information on the Conference, write:

                       ACM Northeast Regional Conference
                       P.O. Box 499
                       Sharon, MA.  02067

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 85 07:46:44 EST
From: "Bruce D. Shriver" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Conference - System Sciences Software Track, Revised

    CALL FOR: Papers, Referees, Session Coordinators, Task Forces
    =============================================================
 
SOFTWARE TRACK of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences
========================================================================
 
HICSS-19 is the nineteenth in a series of conferences devoted to advances
in information and system sciences. The conference will encompass develop-
ments theory and practice in the areas of systems architecture, software,
decision support systems, and knowledge-based systems.	The conference is
sponsored by the University of Hawaii and the University of Southwestern
Louisiana in cooperation with the ACM and the IEEE Computer Society.  It
will be held on Jan. 8-10, 1986 in Honolulu, Hawaii.  Papers, referees,
and session coordinators are solicited in the following areas:
 
     Software Design Tools, Techniques, and Environments
     Models of System and Program Behavior
     Testing, Verification, and Validation
     Professional Workstation Environments
     Alternative Language Paradigms
     Reuseability in Design and Implementation
     Knowledge-Based Systems Software
     Algorithm Analysis and Animation
     Visual Languages
 
Authors please submit  250 word abstracts by May 1, 1985.  Session
and Task Force Coordinators should submit a 350 word proposal for
the session or task force by Apr. 1, 1985.  Referees should submit a
list of the topics and the number of papers they are willing to review
May 15, 1985.  Authors should submit six (6) copies of the full paper
(not to exceed 26 double-spaced pages including diagrams and references)
by July 5, 1985 directly to:
 
     Bruce D. Shriver
     HICSS-19 Software Track Coordinator
     IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
     PO Box 218, Route 134
     Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
 
     (914) 945-1664
     compmail+: b.shriver
     csnet: shriver.yktvmv@ibm-sj

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	CSVPI          18-MAR-1985 04:42  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Received: from sri-ai.arpa by csnet-relay.arpa id a009317; 18 Mar 85 2:46 EST
Date: Sun 17 Mar 1985 22:35-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #36
To: AIList@SRI-AI
Received: from rand-relay by vpi; Mon, 18 Mar 85 04:39 EST

AIList Digest            Monday, 18 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 36

Today's Topics:
  Applications - SIGART Special Issue on AI in Engineering,
  Programming - 4th-Generation Languages & AI Programming & KBES,
  Literature - Recent Articles & Principles of OBJ2,
  Seminar - Discourse Semantics for Temporal Expression (BBN)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Friday, 15 March 1985 22:17:23 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: SIGART Special Issue on AI in Engineering

The special issue on AI in engineering (SIGART Newsletter) will be
available sometime in the middle of April or begining of May. It will
be around 90+ SIGART pages and contains contributions from over sixty
researchers from 6 countries. Copies of this special issue are sent
to SIGART members at no extra cost. If you are not a member and
interested in getting a copy then extra copies are available at
$5.00  each from the SIGART-ACM office.

Sriram

------------------------------

Date: 14 March 1985 0809-EST
From: Dave Touretzky@CMU-CS-A
Subject: 4th generation languages

      [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.  This was
      in response to a question about 4th-generation languages.]

4th generation languages are not programming languages in the usual sense.
They allow you to define database files, process transactions
against databases, and generate reports from them.  For example, you can say
"For every state, for every product we sell in that state, list the
salesmen who sell that product, their annual sales, their commissions, and
their office location, sorted by annual sales."  The actual command language
uses a slightly more complex syntax, but it's still pretty close to English.

These systems are not just report writers.  They allow you to extract, sort,
copy, and update databases.  They use clever hashing and indexing algorithms
for fast retrieval.  Thus, one can write substantial data processing
applications in them, using their simple English-like commands, without
ever learning how to "program".  This is a far cry from conventional data
processing as taught in universities, which emphasize languages like COBOL
or PL/I.  The database access algorithms used by 4th generation languages
are more sophisticated than anything you would expect someone with a
two or four year degree in data processing to come up with.

Martin's complaint is based on the following scenario.  A student is hired
by a local DP shop and, for his first assignment, asked to generate a
sales report.  He goes off for a month and returns with a huge piece of
PL/I code, nicely structured and commented, and mostly debugged, that
does the job.  But he could have done the same thing in two days if he'd
just used RAMIS, or FOCUS, or one of the other 4th generation languages
that run on IBM mainframes.  Martin's point is valid.  Much of routine DP
programming is becoming obsolete -- except in the universities.

Now, not all university CS programs are designed to produce data processing
technicians.  I don't think MIT or CMU teaches much COBOL these days.  But
your average rinky-dink CS department, which just graduated from punched
cards a few years ago, would be wise to teach more than just COBOL
or PL/I (or even Pascal) to its students if it wants them to be useful
in the real world of DP.

[Some other languages that James Martin cites in the March CACM are
SAS, Natural, Ideal, Nomad, Application Factory, ADF, CNS, DMS,
Mapper, and [for DB query only] QBE.  He excludes Smalltalk and
VisiCalc.  C is 3rd-generation and LISP is 5th-generation.  Martin
seems interested only in languages for commercial DP.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 85 21:03:19 PST
From: Richard K. Jennings <[email-masked]>
Subject: AI Programming

In response to benefits of AI versus 'common' software:

        Our application is to improve the efficiency of a huge, real time,
reliable, control system.  Based upon about a year's worth of research, my
opinion [not yet that of my employers .. but hopefully soon to be that
of my immediate bosses] is that arguing about the utility of Expert Systems
is like arguing about the utility of the "if" statement in a programming
language.  There are situations where they are useful, and there are
applications where they are not.  In a simple, overengineered application
they look great -- in tough problems they provide no panacea.

        The question to ask is how should they be used, and how can we
use them to do our job.  First I will describe what we initially thought.
Then I will transition to my current view.

        Like everybody else, we read the standard AI texts, visited the
AI demo's, and read the AI and other journals -- all talking about
specialized expert systems that configure vaxes, identify fingerprints,
prospect for oil, fix locomotives.  We said: let us go out and find
such an application within our organization.  We found it, and my boss
sent me out to develop a briefing to convince the world that it was
what should be done.

        Based upon, in hindsight, some poorly thought out logic from
one of our contractors -- we thought to remove our dependance upon
experts with expert systems.  Is not that what happened in the above
cases?  We made an important and subtle mistake:  expert systems
should be targeted towards *people* not *areas* *of* *expertise*.

        This can be understood from two perspectives: 1) an expert
system is only as good as the rules within, and they must continue
to evolve, and 2) if the expert only uses the system a part of the
time, then he never becomes proficient with it or the knowledge
within it to use it effectively.  In our case, we could have had one
operator using 15+ different expert systems created by different
contractors, with vastly different knowledge structures at one time.

        The difference between expert systems should now be clear: an
expert system is tied to a person's job; commom software is tied to
a specific technical area.  There is a lot of common ground here, but
the difference is distinct.

        Why?  Anybody with experience with expert systems understands
how quickly massive rule bases become unwieldy -- just like nested
if statements.  Keying expert systems to people keeps them small,
and permits the integrity of the distributed knowledge base to
be effectively managed.  Our expert system became a network
of distributed expert systems, mapped very closely to our current
organizational structure.  Our thinking was that individuals
within an organization drive its evolution, and we should apply
expert systems and let nature take its course.

        Our organization is a learning one, and so must be the entity
we set up.  The expert systems must contribute to flexibility and
fluidity of the organization -- by permiting the programmer and the
user to meld into one.  People, once again, will be responsible for
what their computer does.

        No one is advocating total elimination of all computers in
favor of expert systems.  We will have our share of big number crunchers.
Personal expert systems will provide the interface to these machines
in the terms meaningful to specific experts.  Personal expert systems
will also provide interfaces with each other.

        With these insights, we looked again at our organization.  We
also considered inexpensive commercially available products such
as the PC-AT, and the PC-AT-II-jr due out this summer with a 600MB
removable optical disk.  After some analysis of what our experts
were actually doing most of the time, our transitional approach became
clear:  1) use off-the-shelf micros to automate the routine tasks
that micros do better than experts and 2) slip in expert system
technology to these PC's to permit the experts to easily offload
all their well understood "routine" tasks and 3) put all these
machines into a network which permits expert systems to talk to
each other under the supervision of expert people.  We can also
build "learning systems" by extending this approach.

        I welcome comments on this matter; especially those that are
critical (but not abusive).

Richard Jennings        Arpa: jennings@Aerospace
AFSCF/XRP                     AFSCF.XRP@AFSC-HQ
PO 3430
Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3430  AV: 799-6427  comm: 408 744-6427

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 15 March 1985 22:37:58 EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: KBES - comments

This is in reference to Goodhart's comments on expert systems.

Knowledge-Based  Expert  Systems  (KBES)  are  supposed to differ from
conventional programming languages in the following manner:

   1. Completeness : Knowledge in a  KBES  can  be  incrementally
      added,  while it is very difficult to make any changes to a
      conventional program.

   2. Uniqueness: A conventional program is supposed to  give  an
      unique  answer  for  a certain input data. KBES can come up
      with a number of possible solutions, ranked  in  a  certain
      order.

   3. Sequencing: In a KBES sequencing does not matter.

The above differences can be clearly seen in a production-based expert
system,  since  the  knowledge tends to be separate from the inference
mechanism.  The production system  programming  can  be  viewed  as  a
different  programming  methodology.  Production system programming is
also closely related to the decision table approach used in the  early
70's.

Only  when  an EXPERT'S knowledge is included in the knowledge-base we
have an KBES. Otherwise we are talking about knowledge-based  systems.
Even  your  algorithmic  program  can  be  viewed as a knowledge-based
system; only it doesn't have the specialist's knowledge.   Any  decent
(engineering)  KBES  would combine the specialist's knowledge with the
algorithmic knowledge.

Building a KBES is quite a  painful  task.  Before  you  venture  into
building  one, study the pros and cons properly. Make sure that proper
experts are available.

Regarding inexact inferences, experts will  never  say  anything  with
100% certainty. Hence a KBES should handle uncertain information.

[A different viewpoint is expressed in a Consultants in Information
Technology study done in late 1983 for the British Alvey Committee (as
reported in Expert Systems, vol. 1, no. 1, July 1984, pp. 19-20).
They conclude that expert systems are easier to construct than is
generally believed, and that academic concerns about search, conflict
resolution, and uncertain knowledge are largely irrelevant to the
commercial expert systems now under development.  (These systems
generally avoid applications that require tentative hypotheses or must
deal with uncertain data other than the user dialog.)  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 15 Mar 1985 08:53-EST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Recent Articles

Electronics Week March 4, 1985 page 77-78

Announcement of Timm, an expert system development kit for the PC.

Electronics Week March 11, 1985 page 65-66

Describes work on testability and testing of electronic circuits using
AI.  Part of a larger article on the military's new push for
reliability.

I just received an announcement of a journal called "New Generation
Computing."  Cost of a subscription is $96.00 to be obtained from
Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
Attn: D. Emin
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10010

They also are willing to send out sample issues.

Table of Contents: Volume 2 No 3

Preface:

Communication and Knowledge Engineering I. Toda

Efficient Unification over Infinite Terms J. Jaflar
Fair, Biased and Self-Balancing Merge Operators: Their Specification and
Implementation in Concurrent Prolog, E. Shapiro and C. Mierowsky
A Multiport Page-Memory Architecture and a Multiport Disk-Cache System
Y. Tanaka
Functional Programming with Streams-Part II, T. Ida and J. Tanaka
ORBIT: A Parallel Computing Model of Prolog H. Yasuhara and K. Nitadori

Serialization of Process Reduction in Concurrent Prolog A. J. Kusalik

The following are NTIS publications noted in SIGPLAN (Volume 20 Number 3
March 1985).  Prices are paper copy prices.

PROLOG Programming Language. 1974-August 1984 (Citations from the
INSPEC: Information Services for the Physics and Engineering
Communities Data Base)  PB84-874775 $35.00

Grasp; Uma Proposta Para Extensao Do Lisp (In Portugese)
N84-27463/8 $4.50

Kanji PROLOG Programming System (In Japanese)
Also can be found in Mitsubishi Denki Giho Volume 58 n6 p 9-13 1984
PB84-218197) $11.50

Enhanced Prolog for Industrial Applications
Same article as above page 5-8
PB84-218197 $11.50

The Artificial Intelligence Report Volume 2 No 2

Discussion of AI and the Personal Computer by Esther Dyson
Discussion of Air Force new AI Consortium involving Syracuse University,
University of Rochester, Rochester Institute of Technology, SUNY at
Buffalo; Rensselaer Polytechnic; Clarkson University; Colgate
University; University of Massachussetts
Cognitive Systems Inc.: System for portfolio analysis
AI at Sperry
Review of Hewlett Packards Integrated Personal Computer
Agreement between Inference Corp and Lockheed Corporation

Reviews of AI growth: AI is growing at 50% a year, 53 million in 1983
and $142 million in 1984; 70 million in Lisp Machines sale for 1984 and
in 1989 310 million in Lisp Machines; natural language systems did 16
million in sales with 200 million in 1989

AI company percentage break down by state: California 30 per cent,
Massachusetts 24 per cent; New York; 12 per cent; Michigan and Florida
eight per cent each; New Jersey 5 per cent and Texas 3 percent

Gartner Group estimates $183 million in Lisp machine sales broken down
by company:
  Symbolics 88 million
  Lisp Machine, Inc 37 million
  Xerox 35 million
  Texas Instruments 23 million

A series of AI titles available from National Bureau of Standards is
available for $100.00 total from Business/Technology Books

Expert Systems: Principles and Case Studies Reviews

Artificial Intelligence Report Volume 2 Number 3

AI at NASA: Lists research activities at various centers of NASA.
A lot of work is done in robotics for space applications and space
station as well as basic research in many areas of research.

Current Projects include: Lisp Machine for space applications,
smart checklist for procedural execution which knows about human factors
pilot training system; life support system controller; visual pattern
recognition for interpretation of scanning electron microscope pictures
of airborn sulfuric acid particles; aircraft design expert system;
system to assist helicopter crews; pilots associate

An expert system has been developed to assist in monitoring Halley's
Comet.

List of Lisp and Prolog vendors for the PC including reviews of some
products.

Description of project to replace harbor and river pilots on Japanese
ships.

Dec has signed agreements with the following vendors to jointly market
products:

SRL+ and PLUME from Carnegie Group
PROLOG II from Prologia
GCLISP from Gold Hill Computers
ART from Inference Corporation

Agreement between Sumitomo Electric Industries to market Silogic's
Knowledge Workbench in Japan

AI area breakdown of papers submitted to 1985 IJCAI

Expert Systems 111
Natural Language 99
Knowledge Representation 77
Learning and Knowledge Acquisition 75
Perception 61
Automated Reasoning 49
social implications of AI 4

Geographic Breakdown

US 460
Europe 150
Asia 79
Canada 29

------------------------------

Date: Thu 14 Mar 85 16:42:26-PST
From: Emma Pease <[email-masked]>
Subject: Report - Principles of OBJ2

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                             NEW CSLI REPORT

      A new CSLI Report by Kokichi Futatsugi, Joseph Goguen, Jean-Pierre
   Jouannaud, and Jose Meseguer, ``Principles of OBJ2'' (Report No.
   CSLI-85-22), has been published.  To obtain a copy of this report
   write to David Brown, CSLI, Ventura Hall, Stanford 94305 or send net
   mail to Brown at SU-CSLI.

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 1985 15:10-EST
From: AHAAS at BBNG.ARPA
Subject: Seminar - Discourse Semantics for Temporal Expression (BBN)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

   The next BBN Artificial Intelligence seminar will be at 10:30 AM on
Tuesday March 19, in the 2nd floor large conference room at 10 Moulton
St.  Erhard Hinrichs of Stanford and Ohio State wil speak on "A
Discourse Semantics for Temporal Expressions in English". His abstract follows:

  Apart from the semantic properties of tenses, temporal
conjunctions, and temporal adverbials in discourse, I will
discuss the contribution of Aktionsarten to the shift of
reference time.  Adopting the classification of Aktionsarten into
states, activities, accomplishments, and achievements suggested
in Vendler(1967), only accomplishments and achievements lead to
the introduction of a new reference point, which moves the time
frame of a narrative forward, whereas states and activities are
ordered with respect to previously introduced reference points
and therefore do not move the time frame of the narrative.  These
properties of Aktionsarten turn out to be relevant for the
analysis of both tenses and temporal conjunctions.

  The semantics of temporal frame adverbials in the sense of
Bennett/Partee(1972) can best be accounted for by means of a
reference point scoreboard, which is designed to keep track of
context information.  I will demonstrate how this approach to
frame adverbials can acount for phenomena such as restricted
quantification and reference time nesting.

  I will further suggest how to incorporate the interpretation of
temporal expressions in discourse into the framework of discourse
representation structure (DRS) developed by Kamp(1981).  I
propose to augment DRS theory by a modified version of the system
of event structures proposed in Kamp(1979).  However, unlike
Kamp's original structures, the event structures I am proposing
offer a formal implementation of the three-dimensional tense
logic of Reichenbach(1947).

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************

From:	COMSAT         19-MAR-1985 23:34  
To:	JOSLIN,MINDELJL,ROACH,FOX
Subj:	From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

Date: Tue 19 Mar 1985 10:50-PST
Reply-to: AIList@SRI-AI
US-Mail: SRI Int., 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone: (415) 859-6467
Subject: AIList Digest   V3 #37
To: AIList@SRI-AI

AIList Digest            Tuesday, 19 Mar 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 37

Today's Topics:
  Expert Systems - RULEMASTER Language,
  Humor - ))) & Sesame Street FA,
  Policy - Censorship & Rape,
  Seminars - Social Effects of Computing (SU) &
    Expert Systems in China & TUILI (SU)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 18 Mar 85 10:42:55 EST
From: Mary.Lou.Maher@CMU-RI-CIVE
Subject: RULEMASTER Language

Has anyone heard of the RULEMASTER language for building expert systems?
It is an inductive system; i.e it learns rules from examples, can
interface with lisp, pascal, c, or fortran, and can access databases.
It was developed under the direction of Donald Michie and sold by
Radian Corp. I am considering going to take their tutorial course
and would like to know if anyone has heard of or used this language.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 16 Mar 85 04:47:58-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Found: right parens

  RE:

  Sorry, I have not seen your asterisks, but please! Does anyone know where
  the daily bit buckets are stored? I lost some data Thusday night by
  doing one too many left shift on a program I was writing on SCORE and
  I was wondering whether I might be in some way able to recover the bit
  strings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Formerly, the NSA sent all dropped bits to the shredder, but these
days they are transported nightly via Federal Express to MCC where
they are trying to solve the problems that escaped the rest of y'all.
Earlier this week a comment was overheard between two members of
a visiting Russian delegation to Texas' high-tech city: "Dammit,
comrade, they look all alike."  I no longer wonder what they were
refering to.

[Hey, if you think this is lousy humour, watch David Letterman sometimes.
I figure Johnny Carson supports him to justify his own whopper of a salary]

------------------------------

Date: 15 Mar 85 19:01:21 EST
From: Carl.Ebeling@CMU-CS-UNH
Subject: Sesame Street FA

           [Forwarded from the CMU bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

I was watching Sesame Street today (getting the kid started early) and it
appears that they are teaching some beginning theory.  They had a box that
accepted only the letter 'A'.  Next week they're going to cover regular
expressions and the Pumping Lemma.

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 15-Mar-85 11:05:43-GMT
From: DIANA HPS (on ERCC DEC-10) <"[140,153]%edxa"@ucl-cs.arpa>
Subject: Censoring jokes about rape

  [Though rape is a barbaric act, censorship is a far worse crime for it
  affects so many more.......]

I'm not going to answer your first point because, like you, I have
never been the victim of rape and hence cannot compare the effects of
rape with those of censorship. But I will just say that FEAR of rape
has profoundly affected the lives of at least as many people as
censorship; indeed, it even acts as a kind of censorship - a
censorship of behaviour, of being afraid to say certain things, go to
certain places, enter into certain kinds of relationship, even to be
out of doors at certain times of the day. And to imply

  i)  that rape is a normal part of human(male) behaviour, or
  ii) that the victim enjoyed it

(the Poly Nomial joke does both) is to encourage an acceptance of attitudes
that lead both to rape and to that fear.

  [There is a fundamental difference between an act and writing about an act.
  If jokes about a subject are banned, how long is it before satire about
  the same subject is banned?  Then there is only a small step fiction is
  banned.  Next comes fact, research...]

There is actually a very big leap between banning jokes which casually
make assumptions that are damaging to a group of people, and
banning satire which questions people's assumptions. For example, you would
probably not want to encourage the circulation of a joke that took it for
granted that the victims of shooting, mugging or theft enjoyed the experience?
In a sense, such jokes have already been censored - no-one even writes or
tells them!

  [..Any reasonable definition of rape should include the fact that
  the raper and rapee are human or at least members of the
  animal kingdom. I find it hard to be offended when polynomials
  are raped, however.......]

I'm very surprised that David enjoyed the joke, since he seems to have missed
its main point. The point of the joke is that the language used to describe
mathematical functions can be neatly turned into a description of a piece
of human behaviour. It certainly would have been very funny, if it had not
required the acceptance of the two appalling assumptions regarding rape
that I noted above.

Apropos, I should like to know how AIlist readers would have reacted if
the joke had referred to 'Paul E Nomial', the 'epitome of masculine qualities',
instead of a clearly female character? Would the joke still be funny?
Would it still be less offensive than censorship?

Diana Bental
University of Edinburgh
mail: bental%edxa@ucl-cs

------------------------------

Date: Fri 15 Mar 85 13:30:09-PST
From: Ken Laws <[email-masked]>
Subject: Reply to Diana Bental

This discussion of morality on the network should really be conducted
on Human-Nets, but I'll permit it to continue on AIList for awhile.
(I.e., I can't resist putting in my two-cents worth.)

Diana Bental claims that the Impure Mathematics story depicts
Poly Nomial as enjoying being raped.  I have reread the story
and can find no support for this view (aside from a very cryptic
remark about having "satisfied her hypothesis").  The entire
tone of the story is just the opposite.

She also claims that the humor in this piece is in its use of
mathematical terms to describe human behavior.  I think it equally
supportable that the humor is in attributing human emotions to
mathematical entities, as David Wilkins said.  No doubt both
viewpoints contribute to the mental gymnastics that we call humor.

As for the offensiveness of this or any other text, I believe that
people regard the public distribution of material offensive when

  1) the depicted behavior is threatening to them or to their society, and

  2) the material is likely to promote such behavior.

(There is also a second category of offensive material, namely anything
that one finds personally disgusting or frightening.  In this case,
however, we seldom object to others having access to the material unless
it is forced upon them.  My wife, for instance, used to have a very
strong fear of snakes and worms, but she never felt that such subjects
should be banned from the public media.)

In support of this view, I submit that subjects we would find very
offensive on TV would be perfectly acceptable in a scientific treatise
or an X-rated videocassette -- the latter media are less likely to
have an effect on social behavior.  We perceive less threat in graphic
portrayals of war attrocities than in Bugs Bunny hitting Elmer Fudd.
Many people have recently found words such as "he" and "chairman"
offensive even in technical texts, precisely because they believe that
such language does affect our society adversely.

I think we all all agree that point one is applicable here: rape is
abhorrent.  (The question of whether it is "normal human (male)
behavior", in the absence of strong social sanctions, could be
discussed at great length.)  Ms. Bental's comments about the fear
of rape being as harmful as censorship are well taken.

The applicability of the second point is more doubtful.
It may be true that if AIList sanctions such material, the material is
more likely to be distributed through other channels having more
effect on social behavior.  This is far fetched, but is essentially
identical to the reasoning behind much of the "sexist language"
controversy.  Rape is a sufficiently serious social problem that we
must consider the possibility of such influences.

Let's not get carried away, however.  Impure Mathematics >>is<< funny,
or at least witty, regardless of whether it has to be banned for
social reasons.  It does not "require the acceptance" of rape, and
might be funny even if it did require a "willing suspension of
disbelief".  (Cartoons are often based on unbelievable premises.)
The story is not intrinsically offensive, any more than is the word
"he" or the biblical story of the flood; those of us who enjoyed it
are not perverts or misogynists.

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 85 15:23 IST
From: Henry Nussbacher  <[email-masked]>
Subject: Humor

I too cast my vote for humor.  Not to repeat what others have said
(Issue #34), I have found that computers have been filled with violence
and I do not find it intentional.  How often do we say 'Let me execute
the program...', and realize what we are saying?  In VM, when issuing the
CMS START command, CMS replies with 'EXECUTION BEGINS...'.  A non-
computer person looking over your shoulder might be offended if they
recently had a person they know executed.  The Wylbur operating system
uses the command KILL to force a user off the system, and VM uses the
command FORCE to do the same.  Not very nice language.  When a user
complains that their terminal is 'dead', they say that their terminal is
'hung'.  Not very nice language, indeed.  I have often heard users
complaining that the system just 'died'.  There used to be a regression
analysis package that was extended with new functions and was named
RAPE (and forced to change its name to RAPFE a few years later).

I could go on and on.  The point is the author of Poly Nomial didn't
intend to glorify rape.  No one in their right mind likes rape.  But
censoring humor is not going to stop rape.

Henry Nussbacher
Weizmann Institute of Science
Rehovot, Israel

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 18-Mar-85 14:55:12-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Jokes_P ?

Curtis L. Goodhart's comments (Vol 3 # 33) are very important. AI is  a male
dominated domain and that should change. The situation is, of course, moving
forward, but what we really need is a change of attitude.

Gordon Joly
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 85 13:45:24 pst
From: wfi <@csnet-relay.arpa,@ucsc.CSNET (Wayne F. Iba):[email-masked]>
Subject: rape and censorship

        [ Though rape is a barbaric act, censorship is a far worse crime
        for it affects so many more. ]

This might have some validity (and I emphasize might) if we were talking
about censorship in the context of some government official dictating
to various publishers what's to be printed and what's not.   However,
in the context of the present discussion, we are referring to editorial
decisions.  Any printed newspaper will print only what it wants with respect
to anticipated reader reaction.  They generally won't print items which
might tend to reduce their readership.  For Ken to withold such items
in the future is not the same as censorship.  Just as you can choose to
read a newspaper or not, you can choose to read this newsletter.
I am adding my voice to those requesting that such not be printed.

Even if I am in the minority, I submit that if for no other reason, we
refrain from printing such on the basis that computer science and AI
are heavily male dominated to begin with, and that printing
stories about rapes in a context which might be amusing,
is no way to encourage female involvement.

--wayne

------------------------------

Date: Fri 15 Mar 85 12:23:04-PST
From: Gio Wiederhold <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Social Effects of Computing (SU)

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

CS 300  --  Computer Science Department Colloquium  --  Winter 1984-1985.
Our final presentation will be on

                      Tuesday, March 19, 1985
                    at 4:15 in Terman Auditorium

                              Rob Kling
           Department of Information and Computer Science
                  University of California, Irvine

 THE SOCIAL DIMENSIONS OF COMPUTERS, COMPUTING, AND COMPUTERIZATION

Research on the social impacts of computing indicates few
"deterministic" consequences of introducing computer-based systems
into social settings such as organizations. Jobs may become more or
less skilled; decisions may be "better" or more confused; power may
shift to or from central administrators. Much depends upon the kinds
of systems introduced, who controls them, and the particular practices
and procedures that people develop to use the computer systems and the
services that they support. The social consequences of computer use
are often very "context sensitive."  Moreover, computer-based systems
which can be perfectable under static laboratory conditions and when
supported by a rich array of resources may be very problematic when
introduced into dynamic social settings, settings rife with social
conflict, or settings where support resources are limited.

This talk will examine some organizing ideas to help understand
the context-sensitive character of computerization.   One cluster
of ideas is embodied in web models and these will be explained in
the talk.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 18 Mar 85 12:19:29-PST
From: Paula Edmisten <[email-masked]>
Subject: Seminar - Expert Systems in China & TUILI (SU)

 [Forwarded from the Stanford SIGLUNCH distribution by Laws@SRI-AI.]

SPEAKER:     Dr. Ru-qian Lu, Professor and Head of Department of
             Computer Science, Institute of Mathematics, Academy of Science,
             Beijing, China

ABSTRACT:    This will be a combination of two talks:

                 1. DEVELOPMENT OF EXPERT SYSTEMS IN CHINA (SELF EXPLANATORY)

                 2. TUILI - A GENERAL PURPOSE TOOL FOR DESCRIBING
                    EXPERT SYSTEMS (ABSTRACT BELOW)

DATE:        Friday, March 22, 1985
LOCATION:    Chemistry Gazebo, between Physical and Organic Chemistry
TIME:        12:05

Since the seventies, more and more people are involved in developing
expert systems.  But most of them are special-purpose systems,
containing only knowledge and experiences of a special field, even of
a special person (such as an experienced doctor of traditional Chinese
Medicine).  Despite the advances in the field of knowledge
representation, general-purpose tools for describing expert systems
are still rare and in the early stage of their development.  In many
cases, they are only new versions of existing special-purpose tools
with minor extensions.

Tuili (Tool for Universal Interactive Logical Inference) takes the
generality as one of its important design goals.  The main mechanism
of its knowledge representation are production rules, but other
mechanisms can be simulated as well.  Here are the main
characteristics of Tuili:

   1. Not only predicates, but also predicate procedures are allowed
      in production rules.

   2. The parameters of predicates and predicate procedures are
      pattern elements of different data types.

   3. A new principle of semantic pattern matching is proposed.  Users
      are allowed to define their own pattern matching rules.

   4. Users can define their own probability functions, attribute
      functions and their propagation rules during the course of
      inference.

   5. Rule bases and data bases are modular structured.

   6. The control structure is represented as production rules, they
      form the meta-structure, which can be organized hirarhically to
      form a multi-level control structure.

   7. The system provides a rich set of built-in control strategies to
      be chosen from by users.  They can define their own strategies,
      too.

At present, Tuili is being used to write an expert system for brain
diseases and one for teaching traditional Chinese Medicine.

Paula

------------------------------

End of AIList Digest
********************